Home
Posted By: 1234567 Caping Knives - 02/16/11
Having left all of my caping to the taxidermists, I don't know which knife design would make a good caping knife. Anyone have any ideas on what form would make a good caping knife?

This is one I made from 154CM, 1/8 inches thick. Blade is 3 inches long and 1/2 inches wide. Handle scales are Whitetail deer antler, with deer antler pins in the scales.

I don't particular like the handles and I might change the handle material.

When I made it, this was sort of my idea of a caping knife, but I don't really know. Anyone have any opinions? I ground the edge very thin on the cutting edge, and sharpened it to a very shallow angle, about 10 degrees. I thought that thin and sharp would be better for a caping knife.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Monashee Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
Thin & sharp is good,I prefer a bit of meat to the blade for digging the skin out from the horn bases.I have to that because I always forget to pack a small screwdriver! Monashee
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
I'd want the blade a little shorter. Going around the horn bases can be tedious with little room. I also like a stout blade and plently of meat in the grip too.
Posted By: Droptine Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
Looks good to me. I'd think it would make a fine caper.

DT
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
I agree with both Monanshee and Ralphie. A little shorter on the length, alot of times when doing delicate work I'll hold the knife like a pencil and the shorter the better the control. And stout to pry. I would also like to see something like a self hilt. something like on Dozier knives, not so much as a guard but something to index by so I know where my hand is on the knife at all times. As far as the edge angle I'm not sure. Thin and sharp is very important but caping is the one use where you are always cutting against bone so edge retention is equally as important. Don't know if any of that makes sense but hope it helps!!! The knife as it is definitely on the right track!
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
Here's a blade I was playing with just for the hell of it. My taxidermist uses a fillet knife and said the same things, he'd like a short razor sharp knife that would hold an edge against bone and had a needle sharp point. This one is D2, convex ground with a short blade and a lot of handle for leverage. Strange lookin' but will be curious to see how it turns out when finished. Doubt I'd pay for a blade like this one, but since I was grindin' my own, I figured why not...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
This is another that might work for caping. It has a finger stop, and enough handle to hold on to.

I was at a taxidermist shop one day and he was caping out a bear. He had an entire case of single edge razor blades nearby, and he seemed to be doing okay. He wasn't using a holder for the razor blade. That is why I thought thin and sharp would be what you needed.

[Linked Image]

Or a scaled down version of this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
Mtnman1 I think you're on the right track. That is the closest thing to an ideal caping blade as I've seen, for me at least! I'll be anxious to see the finished product.

12334567, That top knife is an awewsome little knife andd if it's 6 3/4" or less would be close to my ideal field dressing knife! Neat little blade! But as far as a caper it's still too wide. If you did scale it down and take off some of the belly, it would definitely work. I think you were on the right track with the first knife with a few mods.

I'm not a taxidermist so I don't do near as many heads as they do. This year I peeled probably 10 bulls, 4 antelope, a couple of bucks, A desert bighorn and by the end of the year should do 4 or 5 aoudad. If I had to do it every day, I would probably use a victornox or exacto knife. I just like hand-made knives made for the job.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Caping Knives - 02/16/11
Thanks. just somethin' I was playin' with... Honestly, I was almost afraid to post a pic, since it's definitely not a standard blade config. smile If/when I get it finished I'll post a pic or two and let ya see what you think.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Caping Knives - 02/17/11
The top knife blade is 2 3/4" from the edge of the handle to the blade tip. Blade width is 7/8".

It is a Russel design, but I don't know the model.

The bottom knife, with the stag handles, is my variation of the Canadian Belt knife, also designed by Russel.
Posted By: TiLug Re: Caping Knives - 02/18/11
[Linked Image]

Top: Ingram Lt. Hunter
Bottom: Crotts Caper
Posted By: antlers Re: Caping Knives - 02/18/11
That Crotts Caper you have is a sweet knife. I've never seen one. I can see how that'd be a really useful design.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Caping Knives - 02/28/11
One of my favorite capers.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire