Home
Posted By: Boxer What is a good knife for deer? - 09/03/11
I don't want to spend more than $65. Thank you.
First you gotta ask the deer what kinda knife he prefers....

Mike
I'm all ears as I haven't talked to many Deers. Thank you.
I talk to 'em all the time , right now mine is at work , as all good wives should be.....I will talk to her when she gets home

Mike
What bar does she bounce at? Thank you.
I like sharp ones , myself!
She don't bounce , she is a professional wrestler/lumberjack

Mike
I bought one of the Queen Steel 4180 Drop Point knives a couple of years ago.They are made with D-2 steel blades,same as a lot of the custom knives.Here's a link to the place I bought mine
http://www.crisnercutlery.com/hunters.htm
Not a very good picture on this link,but they are good knives and a great price too.Here's a better picture
http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com...uct/dba82eaf28e7a86fa804e65f7be13c17.jpg
Originally Posted by 6mm250
She don't bounce , she is a professional wrestler/lumberjack

Mike

How much diesel does it cost a month,to keep her fueled?
try www.agrussell.com. Lots of good brands at your price or see if something higher tempts you
Originally Posted by saddlering
I like sharp ones , myself!

Dull has been covered prior by others and a keen edge does interest me. Thank you.
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
try www.agrussell.com. Lots of good brands at your price or see if something higher tempts you

Any suggestions?
i suggest you PM Swampy here. he had a pic of a Rambo lookin' knife with one of his 700s. diddn't look to cost anywhere near $65.

Gil Hibben knives might also be a place to look... whistle
The Beretta Loveless with a Zytel handle is well within the price range you set, and is an excellent knife.
mine are more expensive. I use a couple of Kabars for pigs and such and a Gerber as a general all purpose knife. My deer knife of choice is a blade my Dad gave me many years ago.

You just want a abuse knife then Buck Vanguard or Zipper depending on what kind of handle you like the look and feel of
The VG has too much belly,as do the Zipper. I hear Bob patterns field well.
I have to say the title alone was the biggest pile of bait I have ever seen, hooks have been set and lips will be ripped soon.

I tend to like the blanks Gene Martin makes, particularly the slimline and Oregon outfitter.
http://customknife.com/index.html
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I bought one of the Queen Steel 4180 Drop Point knives a couple of years ago.They are made with D-2 steel blades,same as a lot of the custom knives.Here's a link to the place I bought mine
http://www.crisnercutlery.com/hunters.htm
Not a very good picture on this link,but they are good knives and a great price too.Here's a better picture
http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com...uct/dba82eaf28e7a86fa804e65f7be13c17.jpg

Sir,
I just checked out the website of C. Riser Cutlery and indeed their knives are very reasonable priced. Since you have one of their knives, would you know if their knives are made in the U.S.A. or imported and if so, from what country?
Thanks,
Jess
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I have to say the title alone was the biggest pile of bait I have ever seen, hooks have been set and lips will be ripped soon.

I tend to like the blanks Gene Martin makes, particularly the slimline and Oregon outfitter.
http://customknife.com/index.html

I concur,the patterns offered within the link are stink bait.
Boxer, the only ppl's opinions you should even consider listening to are ppl that live in Alaska. Everyone else is just posers, idiots and window lickers, you should know that...

which is better 30-06 or 308?

Queen Cutlery is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, USA.
Yes,the Queen is still made in the USA.
Originally Posted by Boxer
I don't want to spend more than $65. Thank you.

Vicky parer will get you started. Course, you knew that.
Ginsu...
My last knife purchase was a Benchmade.

Would /will buy another, IF this one ever gets lost..

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Yes,the Queen is still made in the USA.

That's good to know, thank you. At this day and age, good quality but reasonably priced products made in the U.S.A. are getting harder and harder to come by.
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Boxer, the only ppl's opinions you should even consider listening to are ppl that live in Alaska. Everyone else is just posers, idiots and window lickers, you should know that...

Is it because people in Alaska spend so much time Outdoors have Seasons all 12 months of the year and don't go to the store as often as you? Thanks.
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Is it because people in Alaska spend so much time Outdoors have Seasons all 12 months of the year and don't go to the store as often as you? Thanks.
Well you wouldn't be one of them. You spend all of your time on the internet extolling your stupid talk. What a loser. LOL!
I hope to visit Alaska some day. You "know" as much about knives,as you do the other guesses you post about. Thanks for being consistent.
I just picked up a pretty nice Oliver Winchester commemorative knife set from Walmart clearanced out for $10 bucks. Came with a pocket knife, lock back knife and a fixed blade knife. I should be set for the rest of my life now!! whistle
How about a knife that you recommend to me several years ago?

A Victorinox 3.25" or 4.25" serrated paring knife for about $5.00 form SMKW.

JEff
I'd recommend a Havalon knife for deer hunting. It's small, but you don't need more than a couple of inches for deer. It's wicked sharp, because the blade is a replaceable scalpel blade. I've done very quick work with a Havalon. Check it out at www.Havalon.com, and also do a search here at the campfire. It has been covered in a number of discussions.

Steve
Havalon is a POS.
Havalon is a POS.

And you base that on using one? If not, your opinion is worthless. If so, it's still worthless without a few words to back it up.

Steve
Racked, Spikes, Forkhorns or Does?
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Havalon is a POS.

And you base that on using one? If not, your opinion is worthless. If so, it's still worthless without a few words to back it up.

Steve

Nawww,base it on using several in both sizing and coloration,should those particulars swoon you. You are welcome to think a POS is great,as long as you yack about it. Thanks.
Originally Posted by battue

Yes.
There is a fellow in Kansas, an old cattle rancher, that makes them for a hobby.Deer antler handles. Last I bought was $65 that included sheath and shipping. I have two of his knives and they last thru doing 2-3 elk with out sharpening.May be hitting them a little with a steel.

Darn good knives.I use to tell guys about these and told them I would buy the knife for them if they were unhappy and I never had to buy a knife.

E.J. Smith
620-331-5211

4250 CR 4315
Independance, KS, 67301
Site?
Boxer, After a few deer & 4 Alligators I'm still happy with these.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/
They are far better in Theory,than Application.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There is a fellow in Kansas, an old cattle rancher, that makes them for a hobby.Deer antler handles. Last I bought was $65 that included sheath and shipping. I have two of his knives and they last thru doing 2-3 elk with out sharpening.May be hitting them a little with a steel.

Darn good knives.I use to tell guys about these and told them I would buy the knife for them if they were unhappy and I never had to buy a knife.

E.J. Smith
620-331-5211

4250 CR 4315
Independance, KS, 67301

When my sisters and I bought dad his knife from Junior for fathers day, we were in elementary/jr high school. Cost was about $35 then as I recall. Nice knife that I haven't thought of for several years, but I prefer the shapes of my Ingrams.
Originally Posted by battue

Yes.

See you are are user and not just a collector. Good, it makes a recommendation much easier. You need a worker that can standup to the rigors of hard use. Things like 440, 440c, D2, mosaic pins and such have their place. However, a good worker has its own specs that the designer knife often lacks.

Due to your extensive usage, the knife you should consider should be able to be sharpened quickly and with ease. You can use a rock to touch this one up.

While its corrosion resistance is not on par with the above mentioned steel, a frequent wipe down in your readily available North Slope crude should keep it rust free. Well almost.

What if the blade breaks? Thousand mile duct tape will enable it to be better than new.

They are a little pricy, but you get what you pay for.

"Barlow-Double Blade" is what you should be carrying.

I know, "Bless my Heart". Thanks from its very bottom, I appreciate it.

Addition: I know practically nothing with regards fishing. So I will be of little assistance along those avenues.

The Animal Kingdom thanks you for the insight.
I have a nice Benchmade Outbounder 190 in 440C that I'd sell for less than $65.
Too much belly in that it is VG-esque.
I'll play... Never touched one of these and several things I'd change, but.....with the $ limit in consideration this could be an option to make due with in D2:

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-bird-and-trout/p/AGBThhh8A/

Not really sure how Japanese D2 fairs, but in the machete sized "Deer Hunter" version it lists the RC at 60-62.
Have a few,borderline akin to Pendleton Hunters,SOG Pups and others of the ilk.
I'd like to see that Wayne Hendrix design up close and personal that bears his name but made by God knows who.
I'd like the Havalon Boob to give it another whirl. She was on fire there for a spell.
Never heard of them before. Got a new Menefee coming soon and hoping it's a winner. Going to be based on the top one here...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Never heard of them before. Got a new Menefee coming soon and hoping it's a winner. Going to be based on the top one here...

[Linked Image]

Nice. Steel?
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'll take the real version.
CPM 154
Real version of what ?
Real version of what ?

Ingram of course.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gene makes nice stuff. Rick Menefee is no stranger to making fixed blade knives though.
In Boxer's OP,he says he does not want to spend more than $65.

Menefee is out of that range & Gene Ingram def is,too.
One member sugg a Queen hunter,I agree & another would be an AG Russell Bird & trout,decent little dp,a bit lightweight but it'd do.
I just thought of a real nice one in this range,not sure if it was mentioned...The Boker/Dozier collab knives,dam nice for the $$
-Vince
$65 is a lot of money and those fancy knives don't do any better than regular stuff.
Benchmade 555/556 Mini-Griptilian with pink scales. Hard to lose!
Have a few Grips' in various colors,don't like them even a little for critters but they aren't to bad in a glovebox. Don't like clips.
Clips are always the first to go. My only knife I kept the clip on is the Triage as I keep it on my PFD while kayaking.

I don't know the $65 knife market very well but to un-zip a deer or seven I am sure there are a few out there up to the task.

However I am sure any one of your Ingrams would get the job done as always!
Too bad the SOG NW Ranger is over budget,or I'd try it.

Link
Reminds me too much of those cold steel's.

Could try the Havalon! smile
I might have a jar or two with 800 penny's I could throw you to make budget on that SOG NW Ranger.
Hoping to find some pop cans tomorrow!

[Linked Image]

Very nice..both the top and bottom.
I may try a knife from this guy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I suggest you quit playing Poker,if facing bets of that magnitude. Wow.
You cool it
Sweetie,I wasn't dealing.
Boxer you get enough cans? Looking forward to your review on that knife.
Slow day,only scored $3.35 but there's always tomorrow!
Your almost there. If you need some of these pennies let me know.
Daylight arrives daily,I like the "odds".
With a $65 budget it will be tough, but you would be well served saving up your money until you can get a Busse Combat knife. They can't be beat for toughness.
Originally Posted by Over9k
With a $65 budget it will be tough, but you would be well served saving up your money until you can get a Busse Combat knife. They can't be beat for toughness.

And, can be bested, easily, for use as a hunting knife.

Maybe. I am sure the BUSSE suggestion was tongue in cheek, but this one works fine as a hunting blade. Razor sharp convex edge, excellent edge retention, and it just plain looks great. Coming in at around $300 takes it out of the cheap knife category though.
[Linked Image]
get you a piece of 154cm profile and drill your holes. Send it to me i will heat treat and hollow grind it. Send it back to you for 65.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: GF1 Re: What is a good knife for deer? - 10/08/11
Hard to beat the Beretta Loveless, this one w/ rubber grip. I have one of the wood handled versions, and it is superb.

http://www.knifecountryusa.com/stor...a-knives-205-loveless-skinner-knife.html
© 24hourcampfire