Home
My youngest son will be deploying to the Middle East. I'd like to get him a knife to take, as a special gift from his dad. What would be a good one to give him? Should I get him something like a Cold Steel Tanto or should I focus on something practical and utilitarian? I'm really at a loss and would appreciate some suggestions and insight.

FWIW - He is a combat engineer.

Thanks!

Gary
I have sent quite a number of knives to friends serving in the sand box.
Some that have been really used include the ESEE 3 Mil, the ESEE 4 CP, Benchmade 910, Spyderco Military and Para Military, Randall #1, and several knives made just for that particular soldier.

I believe the one appreciated the most has been the ESEE 4 CP, like this one. It comes with a great kydex sheath system, that is fully compatible with the MOLLE web gear.
[Linked Image]
My son-in-law left in less than a week several years ago to Iraq. I didn't have time to make him anything so got him a Green Beret by Chris Reeves. I also picked up the Benchmade Warren Osbourne folder. he left the big knife and used the heck out of the folder.
I believe the ESEE-4 that Mannlicher suggested would be hard to beat.

I believe the one appreciated the most has been the ESEE 4 CP, like this one. It comes with a great kydex sheath system, that is fully compatible with the MOLLE web gear.
[Linked Image] [/quote]

If I was still serving, that is the knife I would take with me.
As it was, I carried a Cold Steel Master Hunter for a good chunk of my career, used it on exercise, on the rig and operationally in Bosnia, both flying and as a ground pounder. I was a medic and it served me very well.
Whatever you get him will be cherished, I'm sure. He will have knives issued and given in country (mostly benchmade) which are good knives but something from his Dad will be very special. I wish him luck and God's blessings,

Scott
He'll need and use a Leatherman supertool more'n anything else! Their new folder is also a great choice!
Plinker
PM sent.
Tim
by the way, MRK makes a superb combat knife. laugh
I'll second Sam's suggestion, as a "special gift" look into Tim's (MRK) T-10. You will not be disappointed.
I had TIm Olt (michiganraodkill) build my son a T-10 as his present for completing USMC boot camp. It's an outstanding knife. It will be going to the middleast with him this upcoming March.
Can anyone post a pic of MRK's T - 10?

Not sure I have seen one....

thanks,

Tim
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MOLLE adaptable tunnel also available with this sheath.
Get to Tim early enough and he might be able to give you a choice in pommel configuration i.e. pointed, chisel, etc...
My brother carried his RMJ Tactical Tomahawk for a few years in Iraq. He loved it so much he tattood it onto his arm.

[Linked Image]

Wish I had a Picture of his Tattoo.
+2 on the leatherman.

When I was deployed it was the MOST valuable possession I had. You can do anything with it.
When my oldest son joined the Navy I got him a Randall 18.

[Linked Image]

It was more to commemorate his joining the service than to actually be used. Goes up in value every year.
I got my marine grandson this WW11 CASE fighting knife[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire