Home
Posted By: rob p What happened? - 02/19/12
I did a lot of thinking on it and decided to order a Wetterlings ax. I got it yesterday and it has a crack in it. I don't think it's supposed to be there. Kind of dumb, but I know it's forged and you're going to see imperfections but wouldn't something like this be a weak spot? Would something like this be cosmetic or a problem? You can see it go through to the inside of the metal by the wood.

[Linked Image]

better?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aablades Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Unexceptable flaw in my eyes.
Posted By: Ron Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
I'd return it. That's unacceptable, particularly for a quality ax.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Originally Posted by Ron
I'd return it. That's unacceptable, particularly for a quality ax.

+1, bummer but you need a new one.........dj
Posted By: rob p Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
I've attended exactly 2 blacksmithing workshops. I don't know what would make the metal crack. I've seen the video of them making axes and they chop off a billet and run it through dies to shape it. I wonder if pushing the drift through for the eye could do that or maybe it split when it cooled... I'm curious what happened! Really.
Posted By: sharpeblades Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Is it a new one or a used one???
Posted By: sharpeblades Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Is it a new one or a used one???
Posted By: ArtinNC Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Unexceptable flaw
Posted By: DW12 Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
I would like to know what Wetterlings says when you contact them.
I'm considering get their 'hunter's ax'.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Call Wetterlings, and process a return. They shouldn't have let that one leave the factory, and damned well ought to make it right.
Posted By: Mink Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Call Wetterlings, and process a return. They shouldn't have let that one leave the factory, and damned well ought to make it right.

+1
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Get a refund and then buy a Council axe. My hunting pard has one like in the picture and it cuts like a champ. Made in USA, too.

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=175HB28

L.W.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Just going by the picture, the axe appears to be made of cast iron, and it cracked as it cooled. It might also be cast iron that is forged to shape and cracked from shock and cooling.

But, if the axes are forged, then that nulls the above guess.
Posted By: rob p Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
The ax is new. I just took it out of the box and saw the crack. My friends think I'm cursed because they are supposed to be so good. I was kind of surprised to see it. I am also kind of perplexed that the manual says the axes are ground for cutting softwoods. They expect you to re profile the edge if you want to cut hardwoods. Hardwood is what we've got!!! There's a lot to this stuff.
Posted By: Boise Re: What happened? - 02/19/12
Can't imagine anyone, let alone Wetterling, making any blade out of cast iron. I have seen older axes made from cast steel but they tend to be roughly finished with obivious casting features.

Steel forgings can have problems and my first guess would be an inclusion in the metal producing a stress riser that lead to the cracking. Or some other flat out loss of process control in the manufacturing process.

Have it replaced.
Posted By: add Re: What happened? - 02/20/12
Rob, those Wetterlings are the poor man's Gransfor Bruks.
The Wetterlings aren't quite finished as well in profile, thinness, etc. but remain a better value.

Both are forged.

I can't tell by your pic, but are you sure those are cracks in the steel, and not just surface scale left over from the forging process; not fully polished off?
Posted By: FVA Re: What happened? - 02/20/12
Snow and Neally.
Posted By: rob p Re: What happened? - 02/20/12
Add, you can see the crack going through to the other side. At the bottom where the handle goes in, you can see it.
Posted By: add Re: What happened? - 02/20/12
Gotcha.

If you are happy with the model and balance, I'd do what other's have suggested and just do a return/exchange. smile

Wetterlings have a good rep., doubt you will come across that again.

Also, keep an eye out for Husqvarna and prices Vs the Wetterlings-- if I recall, those are just relabeled Wetterlings (same factory, etc)...

Posted By: 1234567 Re: What happened? - 02/20/12
You own some knife making tools.

Grind a trough along the crack on both sides of the blade. Fill with arc weld, or wire weld, whatever you have acces to or what you have.

Dress down weld on grinder. Smooth up entire axe head on grinder, and polish.

Should be better than new, and look much better.
Posted By: rob p Re: What happened? - 02/20/12
I'm using an ax now that I braised when the head split. It's unique. I thought of tig welding it, but I don't know what kind of metal it is. They say finest Swedish steel. Filler rod? I'd like to have a Wetterling I can show off too.
Posted By: jim62 Re: What happened? - 02/21/12
Originally Posted by rob p
I'm using an ax now that I braised when the head split. It's unique. I thought of tig welding it, but I don't know what kind of metal it is. They say finest Swedish steel. Filler rod? I'd like to have a Wetterling I can show off too.

Why it the heck would you even think of welding a forged and hardened piece of steel that you already paid someone else to do right the first time? frown

It looks to me like they forged it a little cold(brittle) in the area, hence the crack.

I would not stand for a $40 Estwing or Bahco axe having a defect like that, let alone an $80+ Wetterlings.

The best way to prevent more of this is in the future is to let them know it occured and make them replace it now.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: What happened? - 02/21/12
If you got it for 10 bucks, the attempt at repair would be part of the project.
New product should be taken care of by the seller/maker when in this condition.
jmho
Tim
Posted By: add Re: What happened? - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
If you got it for 10 bucks, the attempt at repair would be part of the project.
New product should be taken care of by the seller/maker when in this condition.
jmho
Tim

Per usual, word from the very wise... smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: What happened? - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by rob p
Would something like this be cosmetic or a problem?

That's a problem.
Posted By: FVA Re: What happened? - 02/22/12
While a worth while picture to show a lack of quality control can't see any question or advice that should be needed in such a situation.
© 24hourcampfire