Home
Thinking about a new custom. I'd like one knife to use the rest of my life for field dressing medium sized game in the field.

What are your thoughts on the perfect size and shape knife for doing that?
drop point
3 to 3 1/2 inch drop point
Originally Posted by mike_e_miller

+1
[Linked Image]

Or a single blade folder with a partial serrated blade.

another +1
Originally Posted by RNF

another +1

Yup
3" drop point for fixed.
and it needs a little bit of belly, a sharp tip
I still have not found a better knife for processing dead deer, than this one. Randall #11.
[Linked Image]
one like this :-)[Linked Image]
and I can fix you right up with one just like it..
This pattern works pretty well.

[Linked Image]

jmho (and that of some others also)
Tim
Steel choice? Sharpening is not hard for me to do. Having to re-sharpen frequently is a PIA however.
You won't get a better knife than a Bob Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner in his D2.
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Originally Posted by RNF

another +1

Yup

Another yup.
I sell more 4" drop points for general game cleaning than anything else. Im not a big fan of D2. I would recommend 1084 or 01 as they both take and hold an edge well.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Originally Posted by RNF

another +1

Yup

Another yup.

Jumping on the pile... Tons of variation on the same basics of a 3-3.5 drop point though. Gotta find what you like. For me, for field dressing only I like Charlie May's Slitter...but like a lot of others as well...:

[Linked Image]

for the steel, I like O1, D2, S30V, CPM 154, S3V, 1095, A2, ZDP 189............heck, any of them seem to work well.
5" clip point w/some belly

6 is fine, too.

A Loveless style Drop point hunter with a 3" to 4" blade in a good quality stainless. No fancy file work, just plain easy to clean blade.

The handle should be of a material that offers a good grip when covered in blood. For added safety I prefer a small guard or similar to stop the hand sliding forward.

As the knife will be required to bleed and perhaps finish off wounded animals, I prefer a blade with slightly less belly and more of a point.

Looking at the pic below, I would like aknife the size and build quality of the top one, but with the blade shape of the bottom one..
[Linked Image]

Pete,

Beautiful knives. If you happen to know who made 'em, I'd like to acquire a set.
After alot of feedback on the qualities that Elmax posesses, i picked that as my all purpose knife. I butcher half-dozen deer a year plus coon and coyotes. I had Dale Howe make a super sized bird and trout and am excited to try it out this winter. Not nocking any of the steels because once you figure your intended use, you pick the steel best suited and in my case, a customized knife was theway I knew I would get exactly what i wanted.
My favorite has been this Blind Horse Knives, Woodsman Pro. It's O1, about 4" blade, Micarta handle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Travis224
After alot of feedback on the qualities that Elmax posesses, i picked that as my all purpose knife. I butcher half-dozen deer a year plus coon and coyotes. I had Dale Howe make a super sized bird and trout and am excited to try it out this winter. Not nocking any of the steels because once you figure your intended use, you pick the steel best suited and in my case, a customized knife was theway I knew I would get exactly what i wanted.

Please post the photos of the finished knife. Sounds very interesting.
Pretty sure this one will soon become my favorite once hunting gets started. Just picked this up here in the classifieds, its a Dan Crotts model #4 I believe, D2 & Orange G10.

[Linked Image]
Nice!

This one.

[Linked Image]
Hi RiesigJay,

They are German factory knives made by Linder..

IIRC, The bottom one is in 440C steel and the to one is in ATS34 steel. The top knife is a bit more expensive, but the fit and finish is a bit better..

If you google Linder, you will find they do a huge range of knives with several very similar to the ones above,

Regards,

Peter
3-4" drop point or clip with good belly 1/8" thick and 1" deep flat ground for a drop point and hollow ground for a clip. The clip needs a swedge to work best.
Make sure it has at least a 3 3/4" handle or a very open choil.
Steels, well I prefer in this order: D2, L6, s30v, 154cm and 5160.
I've owned AUS8, 440C, 420HC, 1086 and O1. I'd walk on free knives of these steels to pay for a good quality version in my choices. That's just my opinion of course....
And fixed over folding as a primary, just to keep the cleaning down.
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Thinking about a new custom. I'd like one knife to use the rest of my life for field dressing medium sized game in the field.

What are your thoughts on the perfect size and shape knife for doing that?

After a 15 month wait, I received a teaser picture from Charlie of the pair that I ordered. I think your needs would be served by something similar to the top knife.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w531/monkeyhunter1/May_zpsdceed276.jpg
Alot of very nice knives and suggestions on here. My advice is to go to a local knife show and put your finger prints on every knife in the room. You will find the one that is right for you. Just my 2 cents..
Originally Posted by Pete E
Hi RiesigJay,

They are German factory knives made by Linder..

IIRC, The bottom one is in 440C steel and the to one is in ATS34 steel. The top knife is a bit more expensive, but the fit and finish is a bit better..

If you google Linder, you will find they do a huge range of knives with several very similar to the ones above,

Regards,

Peter

Much obliged.
For me, nothing will ever supplant the top knife; it's in a league of it's own. For most casual hunters (every damn one of whom styles himself an expert) the Herron semi design (in the middle in natural micarta) is the best IME.

[Linked Image]
I would say the top knife would be one of the best makers on the planet
Originally Posted by Journeyman
For me, nothing will ever supplant the top knife; it's in a league of it's own. For most casual hunters (every damn one of whom styles himself an expert) the Herron semi design (in the middle in natural micarta) is the best IME.

[Linked Image]
Top knife looks like a Wilson to me. If so he surely is in the top 10 for working knives in my opinion.
I'm sure Phil would appreciate that coming from you, Rick. Your appreciation of other's work is one of the main reasons I'm going to call you about getting on your list for something special when I get back to the States! (And, fwiw, you"re right!!! That frickin' lil knife is magic! And I've had over 300 customs.)
It is a Wilson. But not just a Wilson . The Gods smiled and worlds aligned when he made that one. It's Excalibur sprinkled with pixie dust!
I have a handful of his knives. Every Wilson is the same as you described! LOL.
Haha I beat you to Rick's books Journeyman! However I am sure I am last man on the list or damn near.
Freaking firewalls are KILLING me! Wanna sell the slot? grin
You wouldn't like the knife I am having him make.
Ah well... 'twas worth a shot! (Though that sounds like a tease!) Looking forward to seeing it...
Some like D2, others not so much. Why is that?
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Top knife looks like a Wilson to me. If so he surely is in the top 10 for working knives in my opinion.
Phil wouldn't know who I was. I have talked to him several times on the phone. He got me to using calibrated thermal couple in heat treat ovens. He is the man when it comes to the heat treat!
[Linked Image]

This!!!
Originally Posted by jim330
one like this :-)[Linked Image]
and I can fix you right up with one just like it..

I really like that knife!
A Wayne Hendrix utility semi-skinner bought at $60 or so before Dozier and A.G. Russell boosted the price - I smile to think what a bargain it was.
Just my opinion, but I think the Russel Canadian Belt Knife is one of the most useful and practical designs for dressing game and also for cleaning fish.

It also does a great job of whittling scrap wood while sitting around a camp fire.

I don't have a way to post a picture.
I'm inclined to agree with this ^^^^^^^
Russels are going into my grandsons first hunting knife kit, he's going to have to go with grandpa 'til I see how the Barkies roll, might need to borrow a knife. whistle
The Russels haven't ever failed me after several decades of hard use and they still take and hold a hairpopping edge.

[Linked Image]

And this;

[Linked Image]

Im a big fan of this style EXSPENSIVE but my favorite,and a drop point with a belly

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire