Home
Posted By: huntsman22 how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
stonewash elmax?

I fell in love with Brad's giraffe Davis with the washed/etched? finish...
Originally Posted by busterhindend

[Linked Image]

And have a couple of Dales elmax blades I'd like to do/have done. Thanks, Don
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
Don,

As far as I know it is done prior to assembly, so I don't think it can be done to a completed knife. I don't do stone washing so not 100% familiar with the process, but I'm assuming it's similar to tumbling and involves placing the blade in a stone media to achieve the finish. If you did that with a finished knife it would ruin the scales. You might send an email to Alan and ask him exactly what's involved, but I suspect it's done to the blade prior to putting the scales on.

Dale
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
dat's what I was afearded of.... was hoping it was just some kinda chemical soak.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
I suspect the "etch" part does involve an etching solution after the stone washing process, but I doubt either one would be somethin' you'd wanna do after the scales are on the knife. The etching solution might not harm the scales depending on what's used, but the stone washing surely wouldn't be a good thing. Sorry Pard.
Posted By: VinceM Re: how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
No problem man,just order up more knives . Have some fun
Posted By: rta48 Re: how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
Hell you should be able to get one of those premadona knife makers to fix you right up. LOL
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: how does a guy.... - 07/15/14
you'd think.....grin
Posted By: Boise Re: how does a guy.... - 07/16/14
Just a thought, send him one of your current knives and have him stone wash and re-handle.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: how does a guy.... - 07/16/14
If you lot insist on making your blades look like you actually use them then drop them in some copper sulphate.
Posted By: Romey Re: how does a guy.... - 07/17/14
Looks like a acid finish ala mustard or HC acid ect. There are many of those finishes and would need to be done on bare blade before fit up most likely.
© 24hourcampfire