Home
Posted By: MOGC Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Curious about how you all carry your fixed blade hunting knives in the field. Do you carry your knife in the sheath on your pants belt? Or sheathed in your hunting pack? I've always carried on my belt because I wanted the knife ready to hand. Not sure why because I always have a folding pocket knife in my left front pocket and usually use that for routine cutting needs like lunch stuff, trimming a limb here there, ect. I reserve the fixed blade for working on game when I get lucky. I read that many guys put their "hunting knife" in their pack. Curious what you y'all do and why. Appreciate your responses...
No reason why, specifically, but it's always been on my belt. Maybe because the sheath has a belt loop.

Never really gave it much thought. Just what I've always done.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Mine rides in the pack. always worried that it might somehow come out of the sheath when tracking through the thick stuff.
I'll be odd man out...... in my boot.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
On my belt ,but more often in a coat pocket .
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Folding buck 110 on my belt, fixed blade knife in pack. Keeps the fixed blade protected and sharp until time to dress a deer, smaller package on belt for less interference with day pack. And still have a serviceable knife handy if I leave pack in truck!
Posted By: pal Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
...it's always been on my belt. Maybe because the sheath has a belt loop...

smile Thinking back to my youth, this is likely how my habit started.
Posted By: SLM Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Pack.
Depends, but 9 times out of 10 in my pack. Though I've got at least 1 largish folder in my pocket.
Posted By: poboy Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
I carry a legal sized rotation of belt carried fixed blades
daily. Usually a stockman in the pocket.A little
Schrade Sharpfinger is a regular belt carry. Why?
IDK, I just like 'em.
I like to carry one on my belt. I like to have one in my pack too.
Always on my belt. Never carried it a single other way......
Posted By: 4ager Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
I used to carry it on my belt exclusively. I've recently starting carrying a neck knife more often, though this is always one strapped to the left shoulder support of my pack.
Do those of you that cary on your belt use a pack with a waist belt?
Leatherman on my belt, when I have on pants....... grin
Knives in my Nimrod Pack, which has a waist belt.....
And a turtleneck when hunting.......always.

Or at least a dicky.
Posted By: Ready Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Knife pocket - won't buy hunting pants w/o a deep pocket on the right upper leg.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Fixed blade goes in my pack ('wilderness' hunts, or left in the truck when hunting around home). The only time I use it is when game is on the ground. Don't need it in a hurry at that point. Less likely to get lost.

Always have a standard 2 bladed trapper in my pants pocket. It gets the light duty cutting needs, lunch, etc.
Originally Posted by SLM

Nah, I removed the packs waist belt. I don't carry enough weight to need it.

However, I'm exploring the gutless method of game handling so I might be packing the game out which might have me using the waist belt.

Hadn't considered that conflict. Thanks!
Originally Posted by wageslave
Leatherman on my belt, when I have on pants....... grin
Knives in my Nimrod Pack, which has a waist belt.....
And a turtleneck when hunting.......always.

Was pretty painful last time I hunted without pants.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Me either.

Course the fact that I never carry a pack has something to do with it. Carried pack boards, but never a pack.
Originally Posted by SLM

Main reason I don't wear it on my belt. When I just have a small or no pack I have it on my belt.
Same here, the Griptilian is always in my hip pocket and the fixed in the pack.
Posted By: Boise Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/24/14
Fixed blade in my pack and a folder in my pocket. I make light weight sheaths without belt loop.

I have beat my rifle stock enough with a clip mounted folder to know I can't wear a belt knife without a long coat.
Posted By: Boise Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 10/25/14
Fixed blade in my pack and a folder in my pocket. I make light weight sheaths without belt loop.

I have beat my rifle stock enough with a clip mounted folder to know I can't wear a belt knife without a long coat.
Usually my EDC folder in my pocket and fixed in the pack. Sometimes if I'm trying to go as light as possible or wearing fleece with no front pocket I'll carry a fixed on a neck sheath.
...seems I always carry in a kydex neck sheath when fishing.
more and more often, I carry my dead animal field processing knife in my day pack. I'll have a neck knife, a folder, or another fixed blade on my belt, usually in a cross draw, horizontal carry.
I normally carry a fixed blade knife on the belt, a small three blade folder in my pocket and if have a back pack, a small fixed blade there.
If no back pack, a small necker in place of one in the pack. Just doing normal stuff, the three blade in the pocket and a necker.
If I need to use a knife, I don't want to sort thru a pack to access it.
jmho
Tim
On my belt, right hip, just behind the second belt loop.
Well, Here it's usually cold enough that I am wearing a parka over the top of orange insulated bibs. Getting at a belt carried knife takes some doing. I usually attach a figure 8 clip to the sheath's belt slot and hang the knife off the suspenders of the bibs. Just put it through the loop of the suspenders for adjusting length so if the suspenders come unhooked the knife doesn't drop down one of your pants legs. Otherwise it's even harder to get at than if it's on your belt.
My fixed blade stays in either the butt bag or the rucksack if that is what I am using. I carry a Buck 112 folder in a nylon sheath if I am hiking somewhere.
Around my neck...
Posted By: rifle Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/04/14
I duct tape mine to my left forearm covered by long sleeves....
handle up, or down?.....
Posted By: rifle Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/04/14
down,for a quick draw...learned it in Spy School!
cool. I hope you don't pitch left handed....
I were a dangler sheath. Seen one and fell in love. Got my first one a friend made for me. He stopped by with it as I was building my deck. Put it on while working and forgot it was there. Never in the way even when I was getting in and out of truck. Will never go back.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/05/14
Clay hustler,
I tend to be the opposite, like my knife sheath about like a handgun holster - high and tight.
A high sheath works well with a knife small enough in the handle and blade that it doesn't dig into your ribs or get in the way of sitting. I like a dangler best with large blades because it will move out of the way when sitting.

You can attach a leather loop to a key ring and turn any belt knife into a dangler.
my 'dangler' don't need no stinkin' loop or ring....
Posted By: MOGC Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/06/14
Originally Posted by huntsman22
my 'dangler' don't need no stinkin' loop or ring....

I know... you tuck it into your boot. Braggart! smile
Posted By: MOGC Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/06/14
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
A high sheath works well with a knife small enough in the handle and blade that it doesn't dig into your ribs or get in the way of sitting. I like a dangler best with large blades because it will move out of the way when sitting.

You can attach a leather loop to a key ring and turn any belt knife into a dangler.

You're right of course. I don't carry large knives, hunting stuff mainly with blades no longer than 3 1/2" and usually shorter.
Posted By: Swift Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/08/14
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

amen
Posted By: bhemry Re: Fixed blade carry method... - 11/08/14
For years, I carried a sheath knife on my belt. Eventually, I acquired a few more knives I wanted to try out field dressing with, and since I carry a folder in my pocket at all times anyway... I moved the sheath knives to the pack.
I carry a stockman or trapper folder in one of my pockets. More often than not a sheath knife goes in my pack.
© 24hourcampfire