Home
Posted By: DVS Marbles Knives - 11/18/14
Folks,
I haven't posted much in this forum but I really am impressed with the level of knowledge out there, and particularly that fact that everyone is having FUN in the great outdoors!
My experiences have been pretty moderate, but one thing I would like to ask is if anyone has a Marble knife or two in their collection. I have three that were handed down to me - a couple of Ideals and one Expert.
In my humble opinion, Marbles knives were among the best ever made (pre-2002). They were rugged, had good steel and were a practical design.
I know there are other Marbles forums out there, but I haven't seen the knives talked about on this site.
Hope everyone has a safe and successful late hunting season!
Dave
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Marbles Knives - 11/18/14
Love Marbles. Not sure how many I have. 15 maybe. I have used 2 different ones this week.......
Here is a Fieldcraft I bought right from Marbles in 1999. Had a 7pt buck in the truck when I pulled ito Marbles parking lot...

[Linked Image]

The hatchet is Marbles also.......
Marbles Outers knife. It's old...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: busterhindend Re: Marbles Knives - 11/18/14
Ken you have the coolest toys

Thanks for sharing
Some more Marbles stuff.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks Brad. So do you.

I was gonna post pics of about another dozen or so Marbles, but PB is pissing me off!

Maybe later....

Posted By: j_elky Re: Marbles Knives - 11/19/14
You fellas know how much a mini caper with red bone handles is worth? Condition is new, with box and sheath.

Jeff
Posted By: Teal Re: Marbles Knives - 11/19/14
Have a pile of them. Great-Grandfather was the knife shop foreman back in the real heydays. I have a pic of him working there in the late 20's and he worked there till he retired in the 70's.

Even have a Marbles Gamegetter in NIB condition.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Marbles Knives - 11/19/14
Pics man, pics....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Matching Marbles and Bark River with Fred Trost/Buck.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Marbles Knives - 11/19/14
I wish I had picked up one of their leather stacked Fieldcrafts before the went 'defunct'
The Fieldcraft is one of the best all-around patterns ever, IMO....
Posted By: passport Re: Marbles Knives - 11/19/14
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
The Fieldcraft is one of the best all-around patterns ever, IMO....

I'll second that!

I owned over 100 at one time when I had the "Marbles sickness" real bad. There great knives with a cool history for us Michaganders.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Marbles Knives - 11/19/14
FWIW---and not to steal this thread but....

I have a variety of "Marbles" blades/blade blanks that were in their supplier system to be ground (CNC/Berger grinders) when Marbles decided to crap on their U.S. suppliers. The knives they sold with convex grinds were probably ground at Marbles by hand, the flat ground blades were outsourced to be ground--at least back when US made.
The blades are sterile, and I would have to check exactly what I have, but there are drop points, clip points, the small capers like 2mg showed above, and some other odds and ends.
I believe that all the blades were out of 52100 at that time.

I am considering putting a build program together in a couple months to use up the blades and blanks. (I have processed all my raw steel into my blade patterns at this time, so....)

Nice pics and cool stuff shown above.
Tim
I have a few Plainsman blade blanks. Ground but unsharpened. I believe Camillus made them.....
Posted By: passport Re: Marbles Knives - 11/20/14
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
FWIW---and not to steal this thread but....

I have a variety of "Marbles" blades/blade blanks that were in their supplier system to be ground (CNC/Berger grinders) when Marbles decided to crap on their U.S. suppliers. The knives they sold with convex grinds were probably ground at Marbles by hand, the flat ground blades were outsourced to be ground--at least back when US made.
The blades are sterile, and I would have to check exactly what I have, but there are drop points, clip points, the small capers like 2mg showed above, and some other odds and ends.
I believe that all the blades were out of 52100 at that time.

I am considering putting a build program together in a couple months to use up the blades and blanks. (I have processed all my raw steel into my blade patterns at this time, so....)

Nice pics and cool stuff shown above.
Tim

Im privy to Tims stash and its good stuff, all 52-100 stuff. Count me in on a group deal with one of the Trailcraft blades...
Posted By: j_elky Re: Marbles Knives - 11/20/14
Tim,

Are you going to finish off the blanks, put handles on, make sheaths and then sell them? Or maybe sell off just a unfinished blank or two?

Jeff
Posted By: DVS Re: Marbles Knives - 11/20/14
This has turned into a terrific avalanche of Marble's photos and info. Some great looking stuff.
My favorite Marbles's knife that I don't own is the Trailmaker. Now that was a butch knife. Hoping someday to come across a good one made pre-'90's.
My best Marble's, a pre-WW2 6-inch Ideal, I lost while hunting more than 20 years ago. Still breaks my heart!
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Marbles Knives - 11/20/14
I have a bunch of GREAT pics Robertacabin has texted me.

Coming up soon Martin, PB is being a slow PITA as usual........
Here is some. waiting on a couple more.

Great stuff Martin....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Great stuff Martin........
Posted By: robertacabin Re: Marbles Knives - 11/20/14
Thought everyone would enjoy some more Marbles artifacts. I want to give Ken (2Muchgun) a special "thank you" for all his efforts in posting these pics for me. He went above and beyond and is truly a first class individual. I want to note that all the knives also have their original sheaths.
My pleasure Martin.

The last 2 finally worked:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Marbles Knives - 11/22/14
Cut like butta....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Marbles Knives - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Here is a Fieldcraft I bought right from Marbles in 1999. Had a 7pt buck in the truck when I pulled ito Marbles parking lot...

[Linked Image]

The hatchet is Marbles also.......

Great photo and even better collection of Marbles treasures (in all your other photos). I can only dream how much damage I could have caused being a Michigander within striking distance of the Marbles parking lot! I've been secretly repressing Yooper aspirations for years. grin
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Marbles Knives - 11/23/14
Some of my Stewart era (1998-2001) marbles. Lots of rare/limited production knives in these pictures.

Attached picture marbles 186.JPG
Attached picture marbles 187.JPG
Attached picture marbles 188.JPG
Attached picture marbles 189.JPG
Attached picture marbles 190.JPG
More

Attached picture marbles 191.JPG
Attached picture marbles 192.JPG
Attached picture marbles 193.JPG
Attached picture marbles 194.JPG
Attached picture h53.JPG
I have a very complete collection of the Stewart era Marbles knives. I have researched and collected these knives since 2000. If any one has any questions about the late Marbles knives feel free to contact me.

Jon
Posted By: Mink Re: Marbles Knives - 11/24/14
Here are the two I have.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire