Home
Posted By: Klikitarik Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Does anyone use this stuff for scales?

I've got a few nice pieces that deserve better than what they're doing. If they can be put to good use, I'll post them up for 'inspection'.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
I've got a slab scheduled to go on a knife. I'll admit to being a little intimidated about cutting it up.

I love the look of it and would love to see what you've got out of curiosity
Posted By: DaleAtkerson Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Several makers use it. Mostly high end stuff. Rick has usea a chit pot load over the years. I recently got my handa on some and like you, when I get near rhe band saw with it I break out in a sweat. Sure looks good though.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Don't bother to show it, just send it to me. smile
Posted By: VinceM Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Menefee 3 Finger with bark mammoth
[Linked Image]
More Menefee's
Top knife is interior mammoth
[Linked Image]
John Lloyd pocket knives He has the goods when it comes to mammoth

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mike Miller ,pretty sure that's mammoth...

[Linked Image]

Another from Mike I prolly should've kept this one,you guys are lucky I'm a poor man
[Linked Image]
Here's one I did for a member here,using a factory blade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Charles May,I supplied this mammoth. This is a spear point Bob White style. A knife he called a " Pocket Rocket" . That knife & model name, harks back to when most here did not even know who Charles May was or is

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Handi Scandi in Mammoth
[Linked Image]
OK one more from Vince. A Menefee pocket knife I think a coffin jack

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: woodson Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Thanks for taking the time to post all those Vince. I enjoyed the pics.
Originally Posted by woodson
Thanks for taking the time to post all those Vince. I enjoyed the pics.

It felt good Chris Thanks & you're welcome.

Mammoth ivory makes a great handle. It is pretty freaking stable,too. It is vintage. I think like 10,000 years old give or take
Posted By: Boise Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Vince, another +1 for posting all the images.

I only own one piece of mammoth and it is on my money clip and the sucker chipped. I would need convincing before placing an order for a knife that I expected to carry. On the other hand, I lust for a finely made custom with mammoth bark.

Vince, you own all those antique firearms?
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
I don't think Vince owns 'em, but I know the guy who does. smile
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
That coffin jack is rockin'.

I have a few coffin jacks. They are quite pricey for an original oldie these days.

I have a pretty cool custom with mammoth scales that I've never taken pics of..........
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I don't think Vince owns 'em, but I know the guy who does. smile

Heck of a collection - even cooler than the knives, IMHO.
Posted By: busterhindend Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
You boys are sick grin
Originally Posted by busterhindend
You boys are sick grin

Spoken by one of the sickest among us. smile
Posted By: busterhindend Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by busterhindend
You boys are sick grin

Spoken by one of the sickest among us. smile

Hey, wait a minute, I resemble that remark grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/09/14

[Linked Image]

That Bob White might be my favorite pattern from Charlie. He makes a hellava nice knife and they are priced very reasonably too.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/12/14
It looks like I might have to take some pics of the raw stuff I have. It does look awfully nice when opened up and finished. Great pics!
Posted By: ar33c9 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/12/14
John Lloyd
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/13/14
Here's a couple pieces of the raw stuff I have right now:

[Linked Image]

This is a matched pair of pieces I cut.

[Linked Image]

Thin end

[Linked Image]

Thick end

[Linked Image]

A single slab

[Linked Image]

Thick end

[Linked Image]

Thin end

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_12612.JPG[/img]

side/edge

Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/13/14
[Linked Image]

This is what you find when you sand through the outer 'caramel' layer; blue/black mineral coloration
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/14/14
Depending on price and dimensions I might be interested. Let me know what you have and what ya want
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/14/14
Nice!
I wonder if a guy could section the thick pieces for two sets (inner and outer)?
Posted By: rufous Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/15/14
Beautiful stuff here. Master Bladesmith Bruce Bump in Walla Walla, WA has made me 2 custom knives. 1st was with BG42 steel and second was with S30V. Both had Ironwood scales are are fantastic knives. Both have gotten extensive user on elk, deer, black bear and even on a cougar and a couple moose. Then a couple years ago Bruce made my brother a custom knife with some Mammoth ivory that my brother purchased when he took a trip to Alaska. After seeing the finished knife I knew I had to have a knife with Mammoth scales. Recently I took my S30V knife to Bruce to see if he could replace the Ironwood with Mammoth ivory. He had no ivory that wsd suitable but he did have some Mammoth tooth. The tooth pieces were a bit short so he used some Ebony at the bolster end. Turned out freaking awesome! Will see if friend Boise can post pics for me.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/15/14
Here's 3 from John Lloyd that are pretty. Make no mistake though,these are work horse pocket knives,he builds them to be carried & used

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/15/14
Damn Vince. You been holding out on the really good stuff from John. Those are exceptional.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/15/14
Damn Vince. You been holding out on the really good stuff from John. Those are exceptional.

Thank's Dale. If you are a custom knife buyer,sometimes it pays to contact Vince.
Posted By: Boise Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/16/14
Originally Posted by VinceM

Thank's Dale. If you are a custom knife buyer,sometimes it pays to contact Vince.

I keep more of my money if I just look at Vince's website. Fear contacting Vince directly would be costly - I have little compulsion control
Posted By: geedubya Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/16/14
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by VinceM

I keep more of my money if I just look at Vince's website. Fear contacting Vince directly would be costly - I have little compulsion control

+ a bunch....

GWB
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/16/14
The guy treats you fairly and has a ton of knife knowledge to boot. Nothing makes me weaker than knowing I'm getting a great deal so going to Vince's site, unless I really need something, is only going to make me poorer.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/16/14
Thanks fella's ,more color from John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/16/14
Bottom folder is very nice. Not only is Vince nice but John Loyd is a super nice person.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/16/14
Love that last one too Mike. I'm getting weaker........weaker....
Posted By: Boise Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/18/14
Originally Posted by rufous
Beautiful stuff here. Master Bladesmith Bruce Bump in Walla Walla, WA has made me 2 custom knives. 1st was with BG42 steel and second was with S30V. Both had Ironwood scales are are fantastic knives. Both have gotten extensive user on elk, deer, black bear and even on a cougar and a couple moose. Then a couple years ago Bruce made my brother a custom knife with some Mammoth ivory that my brother purchased when he took a trip to Alaska. After seeing the finished knife I knew I had to have a knife with Mammoth scales. Recently I took my S30V knife to Bruce to see if he could replace the Ironwood with Mammoth ivory. He had no ivory that wsd suitable but he did have some Mammoth tooth. The tooth pieces were a bit short so he used some Ebony at the bolster end. Turned out freaking awesome! Will see if friend Boise can post pics for me.

Here you go Brian,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rufous Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/18/14
Thanks for posting the pics of my knife for me Rick. This Mammoth tooth reminds me of the sky or the sea.
Posted By: safariman Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/20/14
Rufous my good and long time freind, that Mammoth ivory knife of yours is SPECTACULAR! I love it! The Ebony does set it off right nicely, too.

I only have one good knife, a bruce bump knife of course, and had it made with scales from fresh Elephant Ivory. It is a sourch of pride but also used every fall. It already has some blood stain discoloration in the ivory, and I don't mind that it does in the LEAST.

I don't have anything with Mamoth ivory on it, but is it OK to post a pic of my knife with ivory from the very close relative African bull Elephant? I hope so, cause here she is, my one and only truly good knife(Already showing signs of use, sharpening etc):
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here she is with the rifle and load (Barnes Monolithic solid, 416 Rigby) that killed the Elephant:

[Linked Image]

I hope that both will someday go to a grandson that appreciates them.

Posted By: rufous Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/21/14
Sweet setup you have there Mark. Bruce does great work.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Mammoth Ivory - 12/26/14
Rec'd my ivory today.
Nice stuff. Now where to use it.
Thanks a bunch.
Tim
© 24hourcampfire