Home
Posted By: seal_billy favorite non custom knife? - 07/15/15
What tiz it?
Currently produced:

Benchmade Griptilian

Bench made Leopard Cub
Spyderco Moran drop point

And of all things, outdoor edge swingblaze
Gotta be my old North Woods B&T since this pic of it won me a Mike Miller custom a couple of weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty fond of this GeC B&T too but I like any B&T pattern made with 1095.
And yea,,,,I know,,,, 1095 rusts but so do firearms if you neglect em.

[Linked Image]

FG, 1095 is awesome stuff. My favorite for the last year of so is a esee izula II. its 1095 and holds a shaving edge very well. I'm jelous of the grouse you guys have. Havent killed/hunted them in 8 or 9 years. My friends pointer died and we haven't been since. Nice looking blade too in the bottom pick. The handle looks comfortable and kinda shaped like a barlow/sharpfinger cross. I can tell by looking at a knife if I would like it. And it looks like a knife I would use a lot.

Benchmade and spiderco seem to have a huge following but for a pocket knife can't bring myself to carry anything but my SAK Farmer. I crossed over from my 10+ years of sodbuster jr carry and haven't looked back for 2 or 3 years now. I have to strop it often though, doesn't hold an edge like the yellow handled crovan case.

I have been reading about elmax steel and would like to try a knife with that metal. Folks that have tried it rave about it but I'm sure any knife made with it will probably be more than I'm willing to pay for something I don't need but just want.
For pocket carry it's hard to beat the GEC sodbusters. Bullnose I think they call them.

Also the $20 Kabar dozier folders are great for working knife.
Yea,,, I really like bone scales and GEC did a great job on that one.
Here's a better pic.

[Linked Image]

I still love my old NW but I actually use it more for Deer than birds and fish these days.

[Linked Image]
Bark River Gunny Hunter.

Chris
+1
Posted By: Shag Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/15/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Currently produced:

Benchmade Griptilian

Straight edge or serrated?
Straight, though a serrated is on the list I gave to Santa this year.
Posted By: RWE Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
I have an old case knife, one blade, an awl, a can opener, and a bottle opener.

It's on my last of favorites.
Well, I think the OP really wants to know your FIRST of favorites.
Posted By: RWE Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
freaking spell check auto type crap.

"list" of favorites.
I like a case canoe for a pocket folder and a Benchmade Griptilian for a pocket clip folder. I will say that the Griptilian does not hold an edge as long as I would like it to.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I like a case canoe for a pocket folder and a Benchmade Griptilian for a pocket clip folder. I will say that the Griptilian does not hold an edge as long as I would like it to.

What steel on the BM?
Posted By: jpb Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

What steel on the BM?

There may be variations in tempering among batches of steel, but for what it is worth I have 2 Benchmade Griptilians (one D2 and the other S30v steel).

I thought that the D2 was good -- until I got the one with the S30v steel! It holds an edge MUCH longer.

I would NOT want to sharpen the S30v blade with an Arkansas type stone though, it would take a long while. A DMT diamond stone works fine though.

I really like the locking mechanism of the Benchmade Griptilian knives -- nice and open and easy to clean.

By the way Steelhead, a number of years ago I had narrowed down a new knife buy to 1 of 2 models when you happened to post a picture of your everyday carry Benchmade Griptilian here.

Anyway, that was enough to tip the scales in favor of the Benchmade for me. Thanks -- I've been very happy!

John
154CM and is a mini griptilian. When I bought it I did not realize there were steel variants available. I may have to move it to the sock drawer and get one in D2 or S30V if I can source one.
Mine is D2 and it works well.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
I lost my kershaw leek and replaced it with a mini grip. It's 154 and so far does a good job and I like it. It holds its edge better than the kershaw for sure.

I should mention I keep a set of sticks on the bar and touch knives up when I wait on supper or coffee or just standing around. In other words I keep it touched up all the time and haven't ran it till dull yet to know just how long it would last.
I picked up a mini griptillian awhile back in 154cm, the economy grade plastic handle version.

handy lil knife.
Posted By: SLM Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
Mini Griptilian with the modified sheepsfoot.
Griptilian D2

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
Folder? Kershaw Gentleman's Folder.
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
Might need a Griptilian...
Buck 102 woodsman
Beretta Model 200 Loveless fixed blade. Case full sized Trapper folder.
This is my other favorite, but they don't make it any longer. I've owned this one for 30 years.

[Linked Image]
My favorite EDC knife is the Kabar/Dozier folder, #4064
Originally Posted by TBREW401
My favorite EDC knife is the Kabar/Dozier folder, #4064

I've got a couple of those. Heck of a nice knife for the money!

Nothing beats a good old Leatherman...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
To many people here lovin the griptilian for me not to check them out. But rumor has it that esee is making an Izula folder.
Puma Senior....
Originally Posted by seal_billy
To many people here lovin the griptilian for me not to check them out. But rumor has it that esee is making an Izula folder.

Google esee zancudo. Another nice knife for the money. As is the Ontario rat.

Originally Posted by 4ager

You steal it?
Benchmade Griptilian with plain blade and bright yellow handle for use in the woods, or my Benchmade Auto Mini-Presidio, partially serrated, for walking around.
Posted By: super T Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/16/15
I'm going with a Buck folder, I like the 110's. In a non folder, the Buck Vanguard is hard to beat in my opinion.
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Buck 102 woodsman

Originally Posted by super T
In a non folder, the Buck Vanguard is hard to beat in my opinion.

There's some smart guys around here.
I don't use em any more but these two processed allot of game for me over the years.

[Linked Image]

Benchmade 940 Osbourne, In S30v.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You steal it?

chuckled out loud.
Posted By: Shag Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/17/15
My god the Benchmade Griptilians I fondled today. You guys suck.....
Posted By: cv540 Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/17/15
Kershaw 3/4 ton 1446. Bought 4 of them from Cabelas for $7 bucks a piece. If I bugger them up or lose them not a big deal. Very sharp from Kershaw.
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/18/15

You steal it?

Bought two before they discontinued them.
you had them salesmans buffalo'ed din'tcha?.....grin
How did your hand heal up Huntsman?
just like new.....
you had them salesmans buffalo'ed din'tcha?.....grin

Doubtful. I just pressed "buy" in the A.G.Russel website, entered a quantity of "2" and paid the bill.

Had one prior to that purchase and gave it away. Fine little lock blade. 'Stick referred to them as a folding Ingram. Don't think I'd go that far, but it's a very nice design and profile. The VG-10 don't suck either.

Still looking for the right fixed blade, though.
He's saying you ain't no GENTLEMAN
ha, everybody knew what 22 ment but ager. What would give huntsman that impression I wonder?
Because it's a joke
but it went beyond some. whooosh.....
Nope, I caught it. Ain't a gentleman and never claimed to be. Can't help what Kershaw called their knife, though. Damned nice blade.
My favorite fixed:

http://www.hand-tools.com/product-detail.php?prodnum=BRK-MK1110

Favorite pocket folder:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...nless-steel-blade-stainless-steel-handle

Gotta say, the VG 10 is impressive. It out did the sv30 blade I side by sided on deer this last year.
Posted By: bhemry Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/20/15
In a folder, Kershaw Whirlwind (model 1560).. although I've been carrying a Kershaw Half Ton (model 1445) a lot for the last year. (Hard to beat for $6.99).

In a fixed blade, I'm pretty fond of my Buck Skinner (model 103).
Posted By: budman5 Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/20/15
Zero Tolerance: ZT0770CF
Billy, ZT makes some of the best knives I've handled.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/zero-tolerance-zt0770cf-assisted/
Remingtons from the 30's
I am very partial to Randall knives, some of the Busse blades, and Bark River. Needless to say, Spyderco, Benchmade, ProTech, Microtec, and GEC all get nods. laugh
[Linked Image]
I like this Schrade for a folder and the Gerber 925 fixed blade.
Posted By: JGray Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/29/15
In my hunting pack, it's a fixed blade KOA Alpha Wolf. In my jeans every day, it's been a Kershaw Leek S30V/G10 until recently - I just picked up this little Kershaw and am really liking it:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Holston Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/29/15
I seem to find a different knife every year or so that is going to be the "one" for pocket carry.

Had some I've liked and had a couple upper end folders, but I've always carried and used a simple sodbuster more than anything else.
[Linked Image]

Best $12 deer/hog field dressing knife on the planet - I have bought dozens for xmas gifts with nary a complaint and cleaned as many as 6 hogs before touching the edge. I carry 2 in my hunting bag at all times.

Tried a Busse Game Warden once and it never even made it through one deer, but this little cheap blade has made it through as many as 3 deer without a touch-up.
Posted By: bangeye Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/29/15
I have an old precise deer slayer from Japan that I like a lot as well as a boker plus Doxier drop point.
I knew I forgot one. Victorinox

[Linked Image]
What Kershaw knife is that? Looks light and handy. Steel type?
Originally Posted by Holston
I seem to find a different knife every year or so that is going to be the "one" for pocket carry.

Had some I've liked and had a couple upper end folders, but I've always carried and used a simple sodbuster more than anything else.

I carried a sod buster jr for years, love'em but the sak farmer is exactly the same size with more stuff. There's a few guys that mod swiss army knives, one does a pocket clip, I would like one of those.
I can't go without a Spyderco Delica stainless plain-edge.
Perfect size for EDC, opens fast in case of emergency, is ergonomic, and solid as a rock!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/31/15
Originally Posted by robertacabin

It is very light - they call it the G10 Hawk folder with 8Cr13MoV. It's imported and under $20 but seems well made/finished. The jury is still out on whether the steel/heat treat is any good...
Posted By: antlers Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/31/15
[Linked Image]
I like this one.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/31/15

[Linked Image]

Wasn't someone making light kydex sheaths a while back? Seem to remember pics on here.......
I remember that too. Wasnt it a kitchen knife that trout guides or someone was useing somewhere. Had a cult following in that area.
Posted By: ingwe Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/31/15
Schrade 97OT " Buzz saw Trapper"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/31/15
Originally Posted by JGray

It is very light - they call it the G10 Hawk folder with 8Cr13MoV. It's imported and under $20 but seems well made/finished. The jury is still out on whether the steel/heat treat is any good...

It is also now discontinued by Kershaw. Go figure.
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 07/31/15
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

I need to find one of those.
Not even a contest:

[Linked Image]
Mine:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oops, as usual SH beat me to it...
Posted By: NH K9 Re: favorite non custom knife? - 08/01/15
That would be the kydex necker I was thinking of.

Could I inquire as to the source?
Tom Krein, one of the best grinders in the business, makes up batches from time-to-time. His contact info is on his website, and he has a forum at USN.

Posted By: Kaleb Re: favorite non custom knife? - 08/01/15
I want some of the sheaths but don't see anything on his page other than coming soon or something
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

A saw is totally under valued on a pocket knife. Its one of the reasons I love the swiss army farmer so much, plus the punch awl is just as handy. Never seen a schrade with a saw before. A friend gave me a 899 schrade premium slim stockman a few weeks ago that has a awl. Those old usa made schrades sharpen easy and hold an edge well.
These Winchester knives will saw a brisket open and finish the job.

They are good knives if you can find one.

[Linked Image]
Another well made double blade with a saw is the Coleman Western C102. It comes with a good leather sheath.

[Linked Image]

I also have one with black plastic handles.
[Linked Image]
My favorite hunting knife is my Spyderco Impala.

For daily use, I usually have a Japanese Made Spyderco Kiwi in my pocket.
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Walmart has them for ten dollars.

Folder with saw at Walmart

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walker Re: favorite non custom knife? - 08/29/15
[Linked Image]
Victorinox Farmer

[Linked Image]
Mora 2000

Posted By: BigNate Re: favorite non custom knife? - 08/29/15
Loveless pattern BRKT in CPM3v.
for utility and quality, it's hard to beat this old Case XXChanger.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 08/30/15

[Linked Image]

Chinese schit, from a schit-head.
[Linked Image]

That's so "clearly" a hunter's knife. Used for pics only, as is appropriate for the non-hunting, non-deer-killing moron that is Dumbass Don.

Walmart has them for ten dollars.

Folder with saw at Walmart

[Linked Image]

Same Chinese schit, posted twice, doesn't make it any better.

Same schit head poster, doesn't change that, either.

Do regale us on the multitudes of deer you've worked up with said knife - pics and dates required on each, of course.
Posted By: Odessa Re: favorite non custom knife? - 08/31/15
I like the Buck 118, however it seems to come in and out of production. Similar in size to the Buck 102, but with a little more handle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fshaw Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/02/15
Here are two of my favorites, a BladeTech Pro Hunter with carbon fiber and a William Henry T12 CF.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by fshaw
Here are two of my favorites, a BladeTech Pro Hunter with carbon fiber and a William Henry T12 CF.

[Linked Image]

Wish spyderco still made a Wegner model.
Everyday Carry

[Linked Image]

Most used on deer, Bolt Action, Dad’s hunting knife inherited.

[Linked Image]

The one most likely to get tossed in a pack or in the cup holder on trips

[Linked Image]

Mike
Posted By: deflave Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/04/15
I think the best non-custom knife I own is the Bali-Song:

[Linked Image]

Travis
I received an Opinel #9 DIY stainless today. Kind of an interesting lock-blade utility knife to keep in your pack.

In the specialty knife section at www.opinel-usa.com
Posted By: 4ager Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/04/15
Opinels have been very good knives for a very long time. Light, sharp, dependable, feel good in the hand; hard not to like.
Bushcraft dudes seem to like opinels pretty well.

Another knife I would like to try is the peasant. Can't remember the name of the company that makes them.
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Travis

Breast a bird and stab a hood rat, all with the same blade. It needs a pocket clip though.
Opinels have been very good knives for a very long time. Light, sharp, dependable, feel good in the hand; hard not to like.

This one has a yellow plastic handle, the first of its kind that I've seen.
Cold Steel Pendlelton Mini-Hunter!
Great little 3" blade, that's just the perfect size for deer sized game. I've field dressed countless deer, antelope, & hogs with mine. Great V-1 Stainless Steel, and the rubber type grip is easy to hold on to when your hands are bloody. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge extremely well. Hard to beat for $35 bucks! And I'm not normally a fan of "cheap" hunting knifes. I own several Gene Ingram Customs, and many other custom hunting knifes that are twice as expensive.

As each of my nephews have shot their first deer here at the Ranch, I pull out a brand new Pendleton Mini-Hunter knife, and dress the deer for them. Then I hand them their now bloody new hunting knife and tell them they get to do the next one on their on. Never once has it failed to put a big smile on their faces!

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/36LPM/PENDLETON_MINI_HUNTER.aspx
Posted By: deflave Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/05/15
Originally Posted by seal_billy

It needs a pocket clip though.

It does.

But it is one helluva good knife.

Dave
If it were mine I would make karate sounds as I cleaned woodducks. I had one once upon a time, gave it to a friend, he used it as a work knife. If your not careful you'll cut the beJesus out of yourself.
[Linked Image]

I find that I grab this laminated blade Mora a lot. Don't know what the middle layer steel is but it is dang tough to sharpen unless it is with a diamond stone, takes a wicked edge and seems to hold it as well as some D2 steel knives that I have.
Mini-Griptilian always in the pocket.

Hunting pack knife, I am really liking the Victorinox rabbit/utility with fibrox handle.

Posted By: JDK Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/17/15
Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter. Great little knife.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Arac Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/17/15
I really like my Bark River Bravo LT Hunter in 3V. Much better blade profile than the regular Bravo 1.

[Linked Image]

Travis

I've seen you post this pic a few times. The 12 year old me wants one.

Is it a Cold Steel Bali Dong?

I'll have to get someone to send it to me as WA is retarded about such things.
Posted By: Odessa Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/21/15
Originally Posted by JDK
Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter. Great little knife.

[Linked Image]

Now that looks like a big cleaning job!
Originally Posted by MadMooner

[Linked Image]

Travis

Buy one and have it shipped to me. I'll forward it to you.
Screw those WA libs and their retarded laws.

Knives don't kill people.....But they'll sure keep ya broke buying new ones you don't need.
Posted By: VinceM Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/21/15
Hey Fieldgrade & All,I learned a long time ago , " need" has nothing to do with it,just sayin'
Originally Posted by VinceM
Hey Fieldgrade & All,I learned a long time ago , " need" has nothing to do with it,just sayin'

Ain't that the truth!!!
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

Thanks FG!

Travis

Buy one and have it shipped to me. I'll forward it to you.
Screw those WA libs and their retarded laws.

Knives don't kill people.....But they'll sure keep ya broke buying new ones you don't need.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/28/15
I got this not long ago and I really like it . . .

> http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/5/581230_ts.jpg <

Browning - Storm Front - Big Belly
Posted By: deflave Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/29/15

MM,

I had not seen this previously.

Mine is the original Bali-Dong. The model 62 I believe. It is a great knife, but it should be for what they cost. They're about $300.00. My wife gave me this one.

Travis

Posted By: JGray Re: favorite non custom knife? - 09/29/15
Originally Posted by JGray

It is also now discontinued by Kershaw. Go figure.

I know this was a while back, but here's where I bought mine and they're still showing them as available (if you were wanting one):

http://www.fieldsupply.com/kershaw-g10-hawk-folder.html

I'm thinking about ordering another...
© 24hourcampfire