Home
What is your go-to knife this season? What sort of service will it see? Are you using multiple knives? Let's hear it.

RS
Rick Menefee proto with an experimental steel that's wicked & a Tony Bose boning knife made with A2. They've already seen heavy use on large animals this year. There's just so much good stuff from lots of top shelf Maker's out there these days that it's a tough decision to make, but you can only take a couple at a time.
Been using A Rick Menefee 16 Bore & a Rocky Menefee 16 Bore type, Darn sharp Knives, also a Treeman Knife on the Buchering!
I am mainly using two old Gerber's I bought years ago.. They live in my pack.. I have several very nice custom knives, but these two do the trick...
Ingram Small Boner... Deboned and quartered my sons archery buck for the backpack. The only kill so far, it's a long season we'll get several more before we are done.

[Linked Image]

Menefee... Processed that archery buck once at the house.

[Linked Image]

David Winston #45

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am mainly using two old Gerber's I bought years ago.. They live in my pack.. I have several very nice custom knives, but these two do the trick...

Same here.....I have a nice custom Dan Thompson made for me but I'll probably shoot a young Deer out back in a week or three and use my old carbon NorthWoods Bird and Trout to pull the hide and quarter it up.
Won't need a backpack though because I never shoot one more than 100yrds from the house.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I love that old knife....can ya tell? blush

When fur season rolls around I have several skinners to choose from but these two (along with a Havalon for when I'm feeling lazy) are my favorites in the fur shed.
A G Russel Woods Walker and KOA Caper.
[Linked Image]
Not bloodied yet but I look forward to using my new Rocky Menefee drop point.
Before it's over I hope a rick, a rocky, a Winston ,a May and an Ingram grin
If you pull that off, you should get some kind of grand slam award!
Field, that is the way to get one's venison... You mentioned Dan Thompson that wasn't the coyote man from this area was it??
No,,,,,,it's the Dan Thompson that posts on here.

This Dan Thompson.....
http://www.dtknives.com/

Not this Dan Thompson....
[Linked Image]

BTW....I have one of every call the late Dan Thompson made....they work...
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
If you pull that off, you should get some kind of grand slam award!

No chit. Season opens the 9th, but cause of work,the day before thanksgiving for me. I'll try my best.

Before...

[Linked Image]

After..

[Linked Image]
you'd think my personal knife would look better than this lol. I've been using this one for a while. Couple of elk and some javelina so far.

[Linked Image]
the two Rick Menefee knives, and a couple from Tim Olt. Don't need anything else.
We need pics man...
Field, I figured there was another.. Thanks for the link.. I have several of Dan's calls.. One of the very first made was a gift from him.. Great guy..
I just got this one a few minutes ago. It's by Kieth Murr

[Linked Image]
This one

[Linked Image]

I like it best when it looks like this though

[Linked Image]

Not sure who made it, its one of the old 52-100 Marbles blades that holds an edge like crazy
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Field, I figured there was another.. Thanks for the link.. I have several of Dan's calls.. One of the very first made was a gift from him.. Great guy..

That's cool....never met him but I have a signed Weems replica that I cherish....

Off topic but Mark Zepp made some coyote hunting videos with Dan that are worth watching. There's some footage where they have his old Bronco stuck and Dan's doing all the shoveling while Mark watches...it's funny as hell....classic Wyoming if there ever was any.

If you haven't seen em and want to send me your address and I'll loan ya mine.

I will be using a custom knife made by Mike Drost. I have many from this knife maker. I will be using a knife made from S90V. S60 is one of my all time favorites, but hard to come by now days. Mike makes a great looking as well as a functional knife. I know, I own and have used plenty of his blades. Check out his web site. He works out of & lives in French Creek WV. Twitch24
So far I have cleaned two deer, one with the Buck 110 and the other with the Buck 118. I have packed a Schrade 15OT for the next deer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
something about a buck 110 or case 189 reminds you of dad, grandpa, or a uncle and times gone past.
Originally Posted by Odessa
So far I have cleaned two deer, one with the Buck 110 and the other with the Buck 118. I have packed a Schrade 15OT for the next deer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice to see common working knives.

Mine is a old western 4 inch clip point fixed blade my parents gave me at xmas when I was 12... now a few decades ago.

(but I have a bark river gunny hunter as my splurge upgrade and I take turns on deer with it and the western)
Speaking of Bark River, I also have a new Nomad Hunter I might try as well.
Bark River fox river in A2. For me A2 has been an awesome hunting steel. Easy to get razor sharp and only requires a touch up about halfway through an elk.
Benchmade 180 Outbounder.D2 steel.
I've had one of the #118's stuck about 3" into my thigh by a punk somewhere about '77. Thank God that sumbitch was sharp.
Of course, later on in life I had to have one and use it about as much as any other knife I have.

Also keep a KOA Caper or CRKT somethin' or another in my pack.
Damn Raeford, that is a helluva hard way to obtain a Buck 118!!
I'm using one that I made last year. It's a 5 inch hunter made of CPM S30V. I've used this style off and on for years and while I like a 3 inch Drop point hunter too, I keep coming back to the 5" clip point. I don't spend as much time each year dressing deer and use my knife much more often as a utility/camp knife and this one suits that purpose just fine to me. It works great on a deer too.

In this picture the sheath doesn't have the final finish on it.
[Linked Image]
Gerber folding Hunter. Used every year since 1973.

[Linked Image]
The hunting knife on my belt is a Coleman Western double bladed folder that's safe to carry and use with a serrated blade that will saw thru that brisket.

[Linked Image]

I've used a couple of knives this year. The main one is a Bark River Bravo 1LT Hunter in 3V. I also used a Gene Ingram Slim, Bravo 1 (reprofiled A2) and a Bark River Trail Buddy in A2.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I'm using one that I made last year. It's a 5 inch hunter made of CPM S30V. I've used this style off and on for years and while I like a 3 inch Drop point hunter too, I keep coming back to the 5" clip point. I don't spend as much time each year dressing deer and use my knife much more often as a utility/camp knife and this one suits that purpose just fine to me. It works great on a deer too.

In this picture the sheath doesn't have the final finish on it.
[Linked Image]

Beautifully done, sir.
Used the BRKT Nomad this morning

[Linked Image]
I don't have a "go-to knife". I have favorites but change out knives depending on where I hunt - small knife if I'm hiking far and big knife(s) if not so much travel. And, of course, I always have an EDC on me which on these two bucks was a John Lloyd folder.

Yesterday I went with a knife my Dad gave me when I was about 7. This one made it to the truck whole.

[Linked Image]

My Wyoming hunt had me walking in order to get away from all the road hunters. For this buck I used a MRK blade. Boned this one out and carried out way to far.

[Linked Image]

The MRK knife (upper one) used on the Wyoming buck:

[Linked Image]
I used this Flat Rock Scandi from Charlie May yesterday. I like it a lot, about perfect for deer. It's a scaled down version of his Skifa with a 3" blade, 4" handle, slimmed from top to bottom, 3/32" rather than 1/8" steel. Still almost 3 months of deer season left so several others will go through the rotation....

[Linked Image]
Gene Ingram Barebones

[Linked Image]

I've carried the green one every day for a few years. I picked up the orange one last year for hunting purposes. Both have cleaned their fair share of game. Not really necessary, but I reckon I'll have both on me Saturday morning.
While there's a lot to be said for the pretty beautiful knives pictured in this thread, I'm practical -- I'm looking forward to getting a Havalon Titan all bloody.

Steve.
Closed out on my archery buck tag already but should have this in my hands next week in time to fill my archery doe and shotgun buck tag. My first dedicated hutning knife and my first custom. I also have a nice used Winston that will be coming shortly and 6 new Winstons, going to get Combos for me and my 2 sons.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ingrams H325 worked its way through a couple new critters this year.

[Linked Image]
A Kim Ralston drop point hunter with desert ironwood. I'm really liking this knife.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'm going to use my Bark River.Love the ultra useful shape.

[Linked Image]
This one:
[Linked Image]

And this one:

Both made by a mean hillbilly in Oklahoma:

[Linked Image]
That orange hillbilly made knife looks like it would do most anything. Very nice!
I'll probably use my Ryan Arrington knife again. It's taken care of 3 Deer so far. Ryan builds a really nice knife.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Chootem_Again
That orange hillbilly made knife looks like it would do most anything. Very nice!

It does. It's a 'flave special.

Travis
used this one for everything on a recent outing to the "petting zoo". Jerry put a convex grind on it before he sent it. It's a slicer.

[Linked Image]

cut corns sacks, plastic wrap/packages, rope, tape,

[Linked Image]

tacos, steaks,

[Linked Image]

pork

[Linked Image]

and more pork.

JAPPFT,

GWB
Cool knife Gee. I had one of their neck knives, it was a quality piece. I also like their classic line.
Cool knife Gee. I had one of their neck knives, it was a quality piece. I also like their classic line.

10/4

I had become acquainted w/ JF on another forum, and had read about the WR/Fisk collaboration in Blade Magazine.

[Linked Image]

Consequently when he posted three of these for sale on another forum,I grabbed this one.

Got in two from guys who post here. Hopefully will get an opportunity to try both.

JAPPFT,

GWB
[Linked Image]
Phil Wilson, and a few others!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J,

hope you get a chance.............
[Linked Image]

to bloody at least one next time you viZit the "PZ"

Best,

GWB
I used my Ruana 21A Sticker.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I used my Ruana 21A Sticker.

One nice thing about Texas..........

[Linked Image]

it's always "huntin' season" when it comes to hoglets!!!!

JAPPFT,

GWB
This is one from my bench, cpm M4 at 61 rc [Linked Image] and jigged bone. Can't really get past how useful the loveless style really is in the field, will do anything I will need it to and do it well.
My 40 yr old Buck 110 carried on my belt and a fairly new KOA Alpha Wolf in s30v in my daypack. One deer dressed out with the alpha wolf so far.
I have a crkt fixed blade that was a promotional piece for. Leupold a few years ago.. It field dressed this years buck in short order.
Originally Posted by twofish
Not bloodied yet but I look forward to using my new Rocky Menefee drop point.

The Rocky is a virgin no more...

[Linked Image]
Yup, nice use of the rocky.
Even though I have a couple of custom knives I used my
Remington Big Game folding knife, which I have owned and used now for I think its been 30 years.
Saturday morning is opening day NYS Southern zone regular season & I am really looking forward to a change of scenery,to get out in the woods & get with my buds I've been hunting with this group for well over a decade.

[Linked Image]

Afield I'll be toting these 2 ( above),Tony Bose fixed zulu & folding drop point. But I am going to refrain from jumping in & doing the gut work,it's time I let these guys struggle with their own Buck knives that they love so much. In spite of the fact that each one of them can get a hold of a primo custom,via me. They have some,gifted to them,but they keep them in their gear bags like the knives are made of diamonds or something. Hard to figure but everyone has their own idea's. So,that's what I've contemplated,gut yourown guys....

Now for deer processing,I literally just finished up this set . Black Walnut ( below)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was going to bring my Menefee boning & butcher up there, from my kitchen set,but I'm afraid of hearing, " Hey Vince while you were out there hunting I used the smaller knife,what do you call it ? , a boning knife ? Well,to put a new battery in my watch, I kinda snapped the tip a little" Ha ha ,just kidding they're not that bad. But it'll be interesting to use the RGR's & see how they perform & hold up through the years.

Good luck Vince and cool choice of knives!
Good luck Vince and cool choice of knives!

Thanks!

These pics are from a member here,a Tony Bose A-2 Fillet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cool! I like long, slender knives. I have a Winston 71 coming that should be arriving tomorrow. If it does, I will be carrying it Saturday.
An old Morseth made with one of his laminated blades. Stag handle. It has a little more blade than I prefer but it's a nice older knife.
Good choice Vince..... wink

[Linked Image]
Sakohunter,

Who is the maker of the green and black handled knives in your second picture?

Thanks,

Frank
Phillip Patton. He is a very fine maker, knives feel like gold in your hand. He used 01 on these blades, both hold a razor edge extremely well. Ergonomics were made specifically to fit the contour of my hand.
Case trapperlock, carry it in my left breast pocket. Cleaned three deer in the field with it this year. Very handy, and razor sharp.
I traded for this Case Hammerhead a few weeks ago - used it last week on this deer - just like working with a Buck 110; good knife.

[Linked Image]
Buck 110
Ingram 7 +1/4 in Ivory Micarta worked great on a couple of antelope does.
I have a couple of other Ingrams that haven't been blooded yet-maybe the Skinny Semi on a December Iowa whitetail if I do my job.

[Linked Image]
I received this little gem today and will be carrying it the rest of deer season

[Linked Image]
I received this little gem today and will be carrying it the rest of deer season

[Linked Image]

Nice! S30V or D2?
D2

[Linked Image]

That's badass!

[Linked Image]

Which model is this?

Great looking knife!
It's a B&T #1. It has thin red liners too that match the red lanyard hole.
I like it. Got an order in with Gene coming up before too long.

Thanks
[Linked Image]

This Ingram continues to be my favorite...
D2
"Lite Hunter"
Black liners with the jigged Yellow G10
Nice!! I am on Gene's list for summer 2016. The Lite Hunter is what I am going to have him make.

Anyone have a pic of a Lite Hunter next to a #1 B&T?
Just wouldn't go a whole season without putting one of Tim Olt's knives to use. This is my 2015 SD archery deer:

[Linked Image]
Charlie May out today

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by busterhindend
Charlie May out today

[Linked Image]

Nice!
I just used an ESEE Izula ss, to field dress and debone my deer, worked great.
I like it.
I used a $25 Buck folder I bought when touring the Buck factory a few years ago on this guy.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM
I used a $25 Buck folder I bought when touring the Buck factory a few years ago on this guy.

[Linked Image]

Gotta say, I've never seen one packed out that way Ed. eek
[Linked Image]
Guess the folder..........(cause I forgot what it is!)

[Linked Image]
Kershaw gentleman's folder. very nice, I love mine.

Kauffman Handmade/engraved: Before...

[Linked Image]

After...

[Linked Image]
I've been using a Spyderco Impala for the last 10 years. I use it for everything, deer, birds, rabbits. You guys have some beautiful knives. I gave my nephew, who I took hunting for his first time in November, a Buck 112 for Christmas. A Buck 112 was my first hunting knife. Mine was stolen from me buy a kid I knew in High School.
Originally Posted by Dude270
Kershaw gentleman's folder. very nice, I love mine.

That's it. Great (how about fabulous) knife for the gutting/coring job after the kill.

It's in an old buck sheath and stays on my main KOM hunting pants, year round.
You guys sure have some pretty knives. I use a Mora #2 that stays in the truck door pocket. or the case trapper in my pocket.
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/madisonvalleywapiti/media/028-4.jpg.html?sort=2&o=607
Lawdwaz,

Since you're not using that Geno Denning anymore you ought to sell it to me. Nice shot.

Congratulations.

Frank
© 24hourcampfire