Home
Posted By: geedubya Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
One thing I've enjoyed in dealing with Dale Howe is that he does not mind stepping outside his "comfort zone" when it comes to taking on a project. In fact he has done that for me several times. Consequently when I get a wild hair, Dale is one of the makers I call.

I've mentioned on several occasions that I've become enamored of the Nessmuk style blade. Probably about a year ago I asked Dale if he would consider taking on a "Nessmuk" or even a modified Nessmuk of the Loveless persuasion as a project. I sent him a few pix of the blade shape I was thinking of with the only caveat was that I wanted to use A2 steel. We kicked it around and he decided that it might be an enjoyable task.

Dale came up with a couple "protos". One was a typical Nessmuk shape, the other was "stretched" a bit. I liked both enough and asked if he would do one of each. After a few "mods", we finalized the shape. I had originally decided on black jigged G-10, but Dale mentioned that he had done a couple knives in "weathered elk", and that although hey were a time consuming "biiiitsch to do right, they sure looked swell. So off he went.

I got these a couple days ago and I could not be happier with the set.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I happened to have the head of a hoglet I’d snared a while back just a “chillin” on ice in the cooler. So what better way to ruin the collector value of a custom knife than boning out a hog skull.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Posted By: geedubya Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
And jest’ fer schitz n’ giggles…………

Dale told me that the blades tested at 62 Rockwell C.

[Linked Image]

I know that skinning out the heads was not a major workout for these blades but when you’re scraping on bone, lotsa times there will be micro-chipping.

[Linked Image]

Not with these babies!

Not too shabby. A touch-up and they will be toothy-sharp!

Thanks Dale!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
Those are nice!

Congrats to both you and Dale on trying something new.

Thanks for the videos. Cyber gwb!
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
Sweet knives!

Todd
Posted By: woodson Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
You should of been doing videos many moons ago.
Posted By: Judman Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
Yep gotta love Dale. Great pics and vids GW, gonna order up the smaller edition...
Posted By: twofish Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/09/17
Great pics of some beautiful blades. That weathered elk looks superb. My name is coming up pretty soon for a pair and I thought I had decided on the scale material. Now, I'm not so sure......grinnin'!

Awesome work Dale and congrats Gdub!
Posted By: STS45 Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/10/17
I've noticed you really like the Nessmuk style blade. They are starting to grow on me. How do they work as a good hunting knife for elk and deer? I'm strongly considering asking Gene Ingram to blatantly copy the set he made you as a gift for my dad.
Posted By: RGK Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/11/17
This one got broken in on an axis I killed last month. Gotta love a Howe knife.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Excellent!!!!
Posted By: add Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/13/17
Nice knives per usual GW.

The longer of the two, thinner stock?
Posted By: SLM Re: Latest from Dale Howe - 06/16/17
Very nice Gee'.
© 24hourcampfire