Home
I'm going to start a new thread since Photobucket went craps all the previous pics are gone.

Here's a few I just finished. The first is a stacked leather handle with stainless guards. The second is a EDC type knife with box elder

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those are beautiful knives, sir.
Very nice work man. I really like that top one.

Reno
Thanks guys, the more stick tang knives I make the more I like them. They take a little more time and prep work but I'm getting it down a little better.
Look great as always Dan.

Kind of an awkward question, where do you get your wood? And do you only use stabilized wood?

Jeff
Like your knives style, Dan!

PH
I LOVE file knives. Well done.
I love the file knives too. It's what I carry when I hunt. Never let me down so far
here's some damascus with elk antler just as the sun comes up. Kind of an artsy pic

[Linked Image]
how about this one I just finished last night

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
its a beaut!

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Dan308
here's some damascus with elk antler just as the sun comes up. Kind of an artsy pic

[Linked Image]

Love that one!!!
sheath for the push knife

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Outstanding work.
Yup... outstanding work!

Todd
thanks, here's some rams horn I've been working on

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mighty fine horn there Dan! What steel?

GWB
this Ram's horn knife is a Nicholson file that I heat treated.
flat grind??

GWB
yeah that's a flat grind. It is .126 at the spine so it'll make a nice skinning knife for sure
something new to look at

Moose antler kind of reminds me of ivory. Damascus is USA made 416 layer. Stainless steel guard and spacers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
just some basic every day users

Box Elder burl

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brown Mallee burl

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Box Elder burl

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You are a very talented man. Beautiful
here's some old school damascus with bone

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
CPM154 stainless steel hardened and Cryo'd to 60HRC. Stacked leather with brass guard and end cap. 10 3/8 OAL with a 5 inch blade. I like the way this blade is shaped. Wish I could get lucky and make another lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
getting ready to go elk hunting and I thought I'd make a few caping knives. Here's the first one. It's from a nicholson file, of course. I'm working on a few others but they will be S35Vn stainless. This one has more of a drop point than usual for me

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow. That's a real looker... bout too pretty to take out.
S35Vn stainless, one with Afzelia and one with elk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm kind of stuck on this model right now. It just has a look I like. Here's one in ADS damascus with elk antler

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
One hansome knife . . . not a bad place to be stuck.
sometimes you hop outa bed at just the right time. I forgot to add, S35Vn stainless with Ram's horn for the scales and antelope bead

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's some Australian red mallee burl on damascus

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very well done!

Todd
here's some more stacked leather.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
etched the bottom of the blade with copper. Thought the 2 tone look might be cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
this little guy is 7 3/16 with a 3 1/2 inch blade. Box elder is the wood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have a Nicholson file I'd like you to make a stacked leather knife for me. Beautiful work.
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
I have a Nicholson file I'd like you to make a stacked leather knife for me. Beautiful work.

thanks, and anytime you're ready just let me know. You can email, call, FB IG or message here.
Your work is absolutely beautiful!
Lookin' good!

Todd
[Linked Image]
Here's my first of 2018. The wood is K&G stabilized box elder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just wondering, do you do any of the wood stabilization for the scales ?
That two tone is very nice!!
Originally Posted by wytex
Just wondering, do you do any of the wood stabilization for the scales ?
That two tone is very nice!!

I try not too do any stabilizing if I can help it. I'd rather just pick nice scales that have been stabilized by K&G or the like. A lot of people use Cactus Juice, including me but I can tell the difference when sanding the handles. If I don't have time to send it out, I'll use it.

With all the Mod Box guys selling blocks of wood for hundreds of dollars, the days nive wood at reasonable prices are gone. Some scales I buy are in the $65-$95 range. Hard to recover your money from that.
some new stuff to look at

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looking good as usual.
I think you're starting to get the hang of this knife making thing Dan.
Wow! Your work is beautiful. You, sir, are an artist.
Going to the Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show. Anyone going to be there this weekend 7th and 8th?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
wow very talented, knifes are beauties
Go the North end of 4 C and you will get to meet Brad Vice and go through all his Damascus for sale. I like to hand pick it myself!
Originally Posted by mike_e_miller
Go the North end of 4 C and you will get to meet Brad Vice and go through all his Damascus for sale. I like to hand pick it myself!

I will do that! I actually own a printing company and I designed and printed all the cards, banners and brochures for Brad at ADS. Hope to see you there too!
Great time at the show! Got to meet 3 really great knife makers. Mike E Miller, Paul Lusk and Steve Nolte. They were unbelievably kind and their advise and tips were gladly taken. I just wish I could've had more time to really pic their brains. Now that I have seen some really good knife making I see where I need to be.
I met Dan308 at the Show on Sunday and he is a super nice fellow and his knives truly are a work of art! I’ll be ordering a new knife from him soon!
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I met Dan308 at the Show on Sunday and he is a super nice fellow and his knives truly are a work of art! I’ll be ordering a new knife from him soon!

Thanks man! It's always a neat thing to put a face to the people you see on the forum. Thanks for the good words and I really look forward to hearing from you.
couple of stacked leather knives I finished after the show in Tulsa.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dan what is your turn around time?..........could you do 2 to 3 knives , to be delivered together ?............bob
turn time depends on complexity and materials used, things like that. I sent you a pm Bob
Not my style but I did the best I could. Damascus and G10 combo is purely a sin. After I make a kydex sheath, I may not recover

changed the screws out for titanium, looks better

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Been kind of a tough last six months. Medical problems and the big "C" in the family. But for all the knives I didn't get done here's a few I did manage to get done.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some divot tools since I like to play golf

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rPlSNJI.jpg[/img]
Some divot tools since I like to play golf

[Linked Image]

Ah... Not being a golfer, I was about to point out that your pickle forks needed a longer handle to reach the bottom of the pickle jar... whistle

Nice looking steel indeed.

John
If you get 2 of the divot tools you could eat corn on the cobb with some true class! LOL
Skinner style knife. 416 layer ADS damascus with a hollow grind. The bolsters are 440c stainless steel dovetailed to stabilized Mammoth. Red liners and mosaic pins. Bead is the same. The OAL is 8 7/8 and the blade is 4 3/8

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
here's the sheath for this knife. Cow leather with deerskin lining and the inlay is water snake

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Not my style but I finally got the sheath done for this TAC. You know, it is rocket science....the steel is 416 layer wave pattern damascus with baked on epoxy finish. G10 for the scales and purple liners OAL is 9 7/8 with a 4 3/4 blade

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The ram horn handle is kick ass.
back to more traditional style knives. This one has natural elk with red liners.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
it's a stainless kind of day. Working on a few but just finished this. S35Vn stainless with some elk. Of course I put the cool side on the wrong side. I seem to do this a lot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
how about this one? S35Vn and elk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This knife gets a custom made sheath with Stingray inlay. It's lined with deer skin to keep the scratches down. Maybe too much bling here.

CPM S35vn stainless hardened and Cryo'd to 60 HRC. OAL is 8 1/2 OAL with a 3 3/4 inch blade. The scales are stabilized elk antler. Purple G10 liners highlighted by mosaic pins.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just a few finished today. Honduran Rosewood always looks great

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Santoku with AEB-L stainless steel. Elk for the scales

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Trying to make a more compact EDC and came up with this one. Each is 7 1/2 inches long with a 3 3/4 blade. The steel is AEB-L stainless with elk antler scales or Box Elder burl. Those sheaths make my fingers hurt

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nothing says Classic like honduran rosewood burl with white spacers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

dan what are the dimensions on that and price...........bob
I've been on a damascus thing lately. The first 2 are elk antler the 3rd is some of my best Honduran Rosewood Burl.

[Linked Image]

this is a little Caper/EDC that I etched a little differently. I took a 1/2 penny and dropper it into my ferric chloride. The copper in the solution attracts to the blade. I think it looks cool.
[Linked Image]

But what can I say about this? HRB always looks classy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those look great
Beautiful knives. Love the stacked leather at the top of the page.

You ever do bull nose/nessmuk style skinners?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Beautiful knives. Love the stacked leather at the top of the page.

You ever do bull nose/nessmuk style skinners?

I just sold the last Stacked leather knife I had the other day. I don't have a pattern for a good nessmuk style knife but I'll look around and see if I can find something
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
here's a few I have finished. Getting ready for a show in Fort Worth the 27th and 28th. I'm making a few more to take there.

this one has mesquite burl
[Linked Image]

S35Vn and elk antler
[Linked Image]

S35Vn and mammoth ivory
[Linked Image]

File steel with elk antler
[Linked Image]
Holy smokes are those some beautiful knives!!!!
Dang Dan, some absolutely beautiful blades you make there.
W. Bill
thanks guys
Is anyone going to the Fort Worth gunshow April 27th & 28th. I'll have a table there so feel free to come by and talk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
last one before the show!

[Linked Image]
I'm going to be at the Blade Show the 7th, 8th, 9th of June. Anyone going to be there? Please try to find me if you do. I 'know there's tons of tables but keep looking. I'd really like to meet some people from the forum

Here's a few I made to take

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yeah, Buddy! That's nice.
You make some beautiful knives!
Where is the knife show going to be?
[Linked Image]
just a plain skinner 1084 and box elder

[Linked Image]
I'm only 75 but when I grow up I want to be like Dan308. Dan, those are stunning knives. I'm really going to have up my game.

Great work Dan.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I'm only 75 but when I grow up I want to be like Dan308. Dan, those are stunning knives. I'm really going to have up my game.

Great work Dan.

lol thanks, I have so much to learn.
I know this may be a question that makes a professional knife maker like you hair curl backwards but if I don't ask I won't learn. Who do you recommend as a supplier of knife making materials? I have purchased from Texas knife supply on a few occasions but I'm not that fond of Chinese stuff. Any recommendations you have for blades and handle materials is very appreciated. Looking at your pictures, I see so many ideas I want to implement in my next builds. I might just an "assembler" but the look in the eyes of the recipient on one my knives is my greatest joy. I also make sheaths to go along with each blade. Thanking you in advance for any input you will share.

W. Bill

PM me if you'd rather answer off line.
I like Jantz. Their quality is good and so are the selections.
If there is a real knife show near you, go to it, do a lot of talking and negotiating.
I know this may be a question that makes a professional knife maker like you hair curl backwards but if I don't ask I won't learn. Who do you recommend as a supplier of knife making materials? I have purchased from Texas knife supply on a few occasions but I'm not that fond of Chinese stuff. Any recommendations you have for blades and handle materials is very appreciated. Looking at your pictures, I see so many ideas I want to implement in my next builds. I might just an "assembler" but the look in the eyes of the recipient on one my knives is my greatest joy. I also make sheaths to go along with each blade. Thanking you in advance for any input you will share.

W. Bill

PM me if you'd rather answer off line.

As far as blades go, I make my own.

Tru-grit has the best selection of belts and if you're heat treating stainless, they have tool rap for a good price. A few odds and ends too. Their shipping is reasonable if you can order a lot.

USA Knifemaker seems to have the best LINER selection and sometimes some micarta or G10. Shipping is ok

Alpha knife supply has bigger pieces of G10 and also some pretty good prices on knife steel carbon and stainless.

NJ steel has good steel prices but the shipping is high. Like order 2 bars of steel and it's $60 for the steel and $35 shipping
This one is my rendition of a Gyuto style kitchen knife. The stainless steel is AEB-L hardened to 61. The handles are elk antler and so is the retaining pin. Blue liners for highlights. The Saya is red oak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If you want blades, Jantz is a good choice. They water jet then grind the blades in house. Last I knew they send them out for heat treat to a very reputable place.
Belts and supplies I would recommend Pops Supply in Georgia.Recently Pop sold the business to 4 knife makers who are doing an outstanding job. Shipping is actual cost not some jacked up price.
Handle material Terry Dunn in Texas has a very nice supply. Glen Roach out of Claremore , Okla. has some nice stuff
Back to old school knives....This one started out as a Nicholson file. A super piece of elk antler (that I shot in the Gila)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This hunter style knife has a cool piece of elk antler on it with blue liners and a mosaic pin. The blade is an old Nicholson file that I etched in copper + ferric chloride. It brought out a cool natural hammon in the blade. OAL is 8 1/8 with a 4 1/4 inch blade. Pretty nice one I think

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gorgeous!
Been a while since my last post. I had a heart attack the last week in September. Dr. thought I wasn't going to make it. But 4 stints about 1 inch long each and I'm back to normal. Tons of meds and diabetic now too. Oh well.....

Here's one that I just finished. 416 layer Damascus hunter style with brass, blue and turquoise spacers. The OAL is 9 7/8 with a 5 1/4 blade. Sheath will be leather of course

That’s a beauty!

Sorry to hear about your heart attack! Glad your doing better!
I’m also glad your doing better buddy!! Beautiful work as always one of a kind knives that’s for sure everyone needs at least one of yours “ or two” to add to his collection, take care of your self.
Finally finished the sheath for this one

Dan, as I have said before when I grow up I want to be you or at least have your talent. And I'm only 75!

The most beautiful knife work I've seen, ever.

You are a true artist.

W. Bill
Dan, as I have said before when I grow up I want to be you or at least have your talent. And I'm only 75!

The most beautiful knife work I've seen, ever.

You are a true artist.

W. Bill

Thanks man, I wish I was worthy of all the good praise. Just glad to be back
I made a new sheath for this Mammoth Hunter. I think it flows better with the theme.

Dan you do make some beautiful knives!
thank you Mr. Skeen!
Just finished my first folder. I drew up the pattern in Corel and worked it all out. Titanium frame with Elk antler scales and buffalo bolsters. The pivot screws are Ti also. The blade runs on bearings sandwiched between stainless washers.

Looks great.
You do beautiful work. That folder is a work of art.
I made a liner lock and another frame lock

Elk and Ti Frame Lock

Very nice
The work of you folder guys just amazes me.

Wow.
I've only made 3 folders so far but I do plan on making a few more
very nice.
What's the dimensions on your folders? Compared to your hand they look really large. Absolutely beautiful.
I have a medium to small hand but all the specs are on my page. The Ti flipper is The OAL is 9 inches with a 3 7/8 blade. It's 5 inches closed. The gents folder is The OAL is 8 1/2 inches with a 3 11/16 blade. It's 5 inches closed. I tried to make these hunting size
Here's a smaller folder I finished last night

mokume bolsters and Elk antler scales. Titanium frame and pivot screws. The blade steel is S35Vn stainless. It rides on ball bearings with hardened washers on the Ti side.

That sure looks good dude. I love that flipper too.
Beautiful work Dan.
Thanks guys, I really like this one too. I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees looking for dropped parts.
Here's one I just finished. It's a Gyuto style chef knife with elk for the handle. The steel is AEB-L the OAL is 12 1/2 with a 7 3/4 blade.

Stunning work, Dan.
thought I'd post a few. I've been away remodeling a bathroom in my house.

Here's a cool folder with damascus and elk antler

That folder looks dope...! Love the design.
yes I'm kind of stuck on this design. This is my smaller pocket folder. Here's a pic of the lock side

Unbelievable work sir, I don’t wanna check your prices! 😂😂
Come on! it's not that bad lol. Something you can pass down
Here's a smaller folder I finished last night

mokume bolsters and Elk antler scales. Titanium frame and pivot screws. The blade steel is S35Vn stainless. It rides on ball bearings with hardened washers on the Ti side.

Yes sir. This one really horns me up!!
that little flipper is slick as butter lol. I have a video of the action on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/dan.thornburg.56/videos/923719751423044/?t=0ow

I don't know how to make it pop up in the thread, but the link works
Here's one I just finished today. My first tome working with Damasteel. It came out ok and I learned a lot. Getting better at it but still a long way to go.

Damasteel blade
Carbon damascus bolsters
Elk Antler scales
Ti-Pivot Screws

See if this video works?

https://www.facebook.com/dan.thornburg.56/videos/1043577869437231/?t=0

Damn!!... beautiful work Dan
Thanks, I tried to post a video of the action but I can't figure out how. Anyway, it's pretty smooth

This is my Hunter style with Elk antler. The knife is 9 1/8 OAL with a 5 inch blade. The steel is ADS Damascus with some sweet elk antler. Brass bolsters are dovetailed with 2 mosaic pins.

Here's a Hunter with awesome blue Box Elder

This one I call Elk Scalpel. It's AEB-L stainless steel

Oh boy, I sure like that last one! Sexy
Incredible work as usual Dan, those folders are definitely keep sakes! Watched your video as well and agree on no clip, keep up the beautiful workmanship.
Thanks for watching the video. I have a 4 part series on my you tube page on making a knife with bolsters

https://youtu.be/vazbBuOJcts
Beautiful knives! Sent you a PM
Originally Posted by longarm
Beautiful knives! Sent you a PM

got it, thanks
I had the pleasure of taking a look (a real close look cool) at Dan's knives at the last Blade Show and talking with him about his knives. I was there representing the Knifemaker's Guild Technical Committee and I was looking for a few good makers. Dan is a maker I found whose knives made the cut! They don't just look good in the pictures, they look great in person too! If you get a chance to stop by his table at a show you won't be disappointed in what you see.
thanks Harry, I'm glad you stopped by. 2020 has been a tough year for me. I'm just glad I could make something fun. I've got a lot to learn from some of the makers out there. Some of those guys are pure genius.
I've giving away a FREE knife later today. Anyone want in just fill out the form or Instagram or FaceBook. Comes with leather sheath and Priority shipping in the USA

Here's the 1st knife of 2021. It's a EDC style made from AEB-L stainless. The bolsters are stainless with mammoth ivory for the scales. The bead was made from the same piece of mammoth.

WOW!!!!!
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
WOW!!!!!

X2
Finally got this video on how to make a folding knife all edited together. I'll try to post in here but if it doesn't work, it'll be on my youtube channel, FB and Instagram

https://youtu.be/UUh7btT4TjM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UUh7btT4TjM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUh7btT4TjM
well none of that worked? any help out there?
This is Mammoth Ivory with brass bolsters. Pretty cool but tough to work with

here's one I finished a few weeks ago. 416 layer Damascus with brass bolsters. Elk antler with red liners for the scales

Just perused this whole thread, Dan. Looking over your youtube channel now... Very very nice work! Really great to see a smith who puts in the effort to do things just right! Thanks for keeping the bar high! Great stuff!
To say "outstanding" is an understatement.
You really do some nice work. Down to the finest detail.
thanks guys, the hard part is the next knife needs to look cooler than the last lol
Some awesome blades!!!!
Dan - I really don't know ANYTHING about damascus steel - how it is different than well known knife steels like cpm154 or s35v in edge retention and ease of sharpening, or how to tell the difference between good damascus and cheap Pakistani stuff.

Can you educate all of us about the damascus you use?

And where can I get a price list for some of your BEAUTIFUL knives?
Good job done, Beautiful knives to be honest.
here's some of my thoughts on damascus. I think damascus can be a good choice for a EDC knife or a Hunterstyle knife if you choose the right one. My most used damascus billet is from Alabama Damascus. It's made from 5160, 15n20, Ni200 folded for 416 layers. This steel holds a great edge and I harden it to HRC-60. It's very affordable at $125 to $175 per billet. has a nice pattern but you don't feel bad about getting it bloody.

Next is Chad Nichols $315 per billet or Randy Hass damascus $400 per billet. usually these billets are 1080 & 15n20. These are but 2 examples of "custom" damascus billets. It's great quality and will harden to HRC-60 or 61 easily. This is top quality but costs 3x more per blade. I can use this steel for a custom but it will almost certainly add $300 or more to the price. You will probably feel proud as you skin your deer with it.

Now we get to Pakistani steel. As much as you want to wish it's made from a good combination of steels, it isn't. It may look cool on the outside and costs $35 per billet. They say it's 1095 but it more like 1060 with Russian truck bumpers, paint can lids, and tricycles thrown in. The real problem here is it won't harden much more than HRC-56. That is too soft for a knife. won't take a good edge let alone hold an edge. You will probably feel ashamed to skin your deer with it.
made a few Elk scalpels this week. 2 are AEB-l stainless and 1 is Damascus.

My latest EDC style knife it's 7 1/2 inches long with a 3 3/4 blade. The steel is AEB-L stainless and hardened to 61 HRC. Elk antler for the scales and dovetailed 416 stainless bolsters

Who would not want to show up at the dance with her?????
Here's a EDC with elk antler and a Hunter model with some cool mammoth ivory

This one turned out pretty cool, At least I think it did. A super piece of mammoth ivory for scales. The blade is Odin's Eye Damasteel with floating back spacer. The bolsters are 13 quarter Mokume with Ti screws and liners. The interior is engine jeweled

Dang dude. That’s a heckuva big folder. It looks great. You really do some awesome work.
Originally Posted by antlers
Dang dude. That’s a heckuva big folder. It looks great. You really do some awesome work.

Thanks Antlers, This is my full sized folder. It's 5 1.8 closed with a 3 7/8 blade.
This folder has Damascus bolsters with Elk antler scales. The frame is Titanium and is engine jeweled on the inside surfaces. Back spacer is also Damascus. The OAL Closed is 5 1/8 inches with a 3.9 inch AEB-L stainless steel blade. This is more of an old school gentleman's knife. The leather slip case that comes with it is made from aged leather with a pig skin liner.

Damn, I like that one.
Excellent work Dan. I’m a sucker for a liner lock. Looking damn good.
Damn dude, what a piece of work…! The knife and sheath both are fantastic. The mosaic pin in the bolster is really unique.
thanks, I was trying out my new photo booth I made in my shop. That way I don't have to go outside in the cold to take pics. That's a pretty cool knife I think. That Mammoth ivory is stunning
thanks, I was trying out my new photo booth I made in my shop. That way I don't have to go outside in the cold to take pics. That's a pretty cool knife I think. That Mammoth ivory is stunning

It absolutely is. As always, beautiful work.
Here's a EDC with elk antler and a Hunter model with some cool mammoth ivory

Beautiful work!
I'd be interested in one with that Mammoth ivory if you make one for market.
Stunning workmanship!
Here's my first one of the year. It's a flipper with Titanium liners. The scales are interior mammoth ivory and the bolsters are high carbon damascus. Blade steel is AEB-L stainless

As always, fantastic.
Stunning.
Thanks, coming up with new ideas is hard lol. Trying to come up with combos that aren't too gaudy
Here's a few more pics of this folder

Here's a small simple Titanium frame lock. The blade steel is AEB-L stainless. I did a little experimenting with the anodizing.

Beautiful artwork!
That is beautiful hope it works as good as it looks
The Ti & Elk folder is finished. Titanium bolsters with elk antler scales and back spacer. Ti frame and pivot anodized gold. The blade is AEB-L stainless steel. Will come with leather pocket clip slip.

Very cool, on all accounts!

Todd
I really like this one. It's just got some class. My Large folder with incredible Mammoth ivory and Mokume bolsters that I made from 13 quarters each. The blade is Odin's Eye Damasteel. Ti frame is anodized gold and the inside engine jeweled. Floating back spacer is also Damasteel.

Hubba Hubba
Thank you guys. It's like I have to try and 1 up the last knife. I'm running out of ideas. My next one is a folder with walrus ivory scales not sure on the bolsters, maybe anodized Ti. But the blade I'm trying to make is raindrop MokuMai over damascus core. My simple brain already hurts thinking about it lol
Amazing work and artistry... A pleasure to look at all 10 pages of your finished products. Those last two folders are incredible! The melding of different materials and attention to detail, works of art.
Originally Posted by bradleyr001
Amazing work and artistry... A pleasure to look at all 10 pages of your finished products. Those last two folders are incredible! The melding of different materials and attention to detail, works of art.

Thanks Bradleyr001, I feel like I've come a long way in a short time. There is so much more for me to learn about making knives. Every day these is a new problem to solve. I just found out that I made it into the 42nd edition of Knives 2022. Those featured knives are supposed to be some of the best from all over the world. While I don't put myself in that category, I'm glad I made something that was worth looking at.

Outstanding stuff for sure.
Beautiful work!
That Large Folder with Mammoth Ivory certainly caught my attention!!
That's some serious craftsmanship, Dan.

Kudos on your entry for Knives 2022!
This is MokuMai over a damascus core. The scales are Walrus ivory as is the back spacer. I inlaid some copper in the back spacer. Nothing polishes like ivory and the dots highlight the floating spacer between the Ti liners. I need a new tank of gas so this one is $2 large

Just looked this thread over... WOW + P !!!

I really like the last one you just posted !
This is MokuMai over a damascus core. The scales are Walrus ivory as is the back spacer. I inlaid some copper in the back spacer. Nothing polishes like ivory and the dots highlight the floating spacer between the Ti liners. I need a new tank of gas so this one is $2 large

Simply outstanding!
Bery cool that you’re in Knives 2022. I have quite a few issues from over the years. Dedicated to top quality knife smiths. Congratulations. .
Originally Posted by fshaw
Bery cool that you’re in Knives 2022. I have quite a few issues from over the years. Dedicated to top quality knife smiths. Congratulations. .

Yes that surprised me as well. This last knife was the most difficult yet. Took me a solid week to make
Some beautiful work here, Dan. Just Wow!
Dan, those are so cool. You have talent man!!! Thanks for sharing your art with us. You really know how to think outside the box.
I can make a regular EDC knife too! lol I'm taking this with me to Texas Blade show. Text me if you are there!

I make some with wood too! Some really cool York Gum Burl. The pics do not do justice to this grain

What about some Damascus with elk antler?

I went to the Texas Blade show a few weeks ago. I showed my folders to Johnny Stout who is one of the top knife makers in the country. He looked them over and opened and closed them many times. He looked up and said he was impressed. Man I just couldn't believe that a guy who I aspire to be half as good as was impressed with my work! I asked him what I could do to make them better, he said it looked like I already knew and to just keep making them. Later I stopped by Spencer Aplin and Jordan Berthelot's booth. They said they had heard about the Walrus folder I made. A crowd gathered and soon they were asking me questions about knife making. Standing next to me was Robert Corey Scott the owner of Bulldog Damascus. He makes incredibly cool billets. He wanted me to make a folder to show off his damascus. Man I walked around with my head in the clouds for the rest of the weekend.

Here's some Cable damascus over 80crv2 with a 15n20 shim. This is a pretty cool flipper and smooth as butter

You have ARRIVED!

Very nice work.
thanks!

Have two of Dan’s file knives that were made with Arcade horseshoe rasps. They’re favorites.
Hey! how have you been? Wondered if you made it through all the craziness up there lol
Very nice, Dan. I always enjoy seeing them buddy.

Todd
Taking pics of shiny steel is not easy. Glare everywhere. Ivory Hunter with AEB-L stainless. Mammoth ivory with red liners. A few mosaic pins and a mammoth bead for good measure. A piece of very rare Afzelia I've had for years. Afzelia like this is so hard to find. My hunter style AEB-L stainless blade and Afzelia burl with red liners. The OAL is 8 7/8 with a 4 1/2 blade.

New mid-sized folder. Walrus ivory with a Titanium frame. Bolsters are cable damascus. The blade is Raindrop TigerMai (Br/Cu) over 80crv2 from Baker Forge & Tool. The backspacer is MokuMai damascus with ivory stand-off washers.

#613 Mokume & Mammoth Ivory with Damascus SanMai blade. 4 Sapphires in the back spacer

Small frame folder
Blade: CopperMai over Damascus
Scales: Mammoth Ivory
Bolsters & Back spacer: Copper & 15n20 Damascus
Frame & Pivot: Titanium

Damn you do amazing work 👊🏻
Here's a little ditty I finished today. Gentleman's flipper with stainless Damasteel blade and floated back spacer. The bolsters are Copper Damascus. A stunning set of Mammoth Ivory for scales. Jeweled Titanium frame and pivot that runs on bearings

Gorgeous knives, love the Mammoth Ivory scales.
This one didn't last long! large size folder with mammoth ivory scales. The blade, bolsters and back spacer are Damascus from Bulldog Damascus. This one is like butter.

Here's a sweet one I made a few months ago

I appreciate good knives and have fewer than many. All your knives are beautifully executed. I don’t have any custom folders, but yours are extraordinary. Thanks for sharing.

Frank
Thanks, I have a fun time making these folders. So much go into them and I never know if what it will look like until the end. I have a "cult" following and most of these don't last long, some sell within a few hours.
Dan
Not making knives these days. My son pass and was in the hospital for 40 days. Had a stomach infection and it got into his lungs. Turned into pneumonia. From there it just went horribly down hill.

Condolences to you and your family.
Thanks, I'm lost at the moment....
I am so sorry for your loss. No words are adequate.
So very difficult for me to even think about it. Keep all those good memories and times you shared together in close focus.
So sorry for your loss.
Dam sorry for the loss of a son!
Not making knives these days. My son pass and was in the hospital for 40 days. Had a stomach infection and it got into his lungs. Turned into pneumonia. From there it just went horribly down hill.

I used to play golf with your son in High School. Very good friend indeed. So sorry for your loss sir. He will be missed.
Dan - My deepest condolences on your loss.

Jeff
Very sorry for your incredible loss.
Back and working on a few new knives. Wasn't sure I was going to make anymore, I kind of lost all interest in things.

So this folder had a Damasteel blade and backspacer. The scales are a really sweet set of mammoth ivory. Bolsters are Mokume. The knife runs on bearings and is super slick.

That is really a treat for the eyes, Dan. Thanks for posting
This folder fought me all the way. Seems like every stage of work brought a new problem. This is my new Bri model. It's a little thinner and not as high. The blade and bolsters are Damascus over 80crV2 core SanMai. The scales are mammoth

WOW!!!!
I’ve been meaning to get this up for a while. I had Dan shorten up one of his previously pictured blades for me. AEBL, super sharp and just what I wanted for birds + 101 other uses. grin

Attached picture A40902B1-11A0-41E7-82BE-AB1B6CDD9A81.jpeg
Originally Posted by horse1
I’ve been meaning to get this up for a while. I had Dan shorten up one of his previously pictured blades for me. AEBL, super sharp and just what I wanted for birds + 101 other uses. grin

Thanks, I appreciate that
Don't stop. I love seeing your functional art.
Got something done today
Doug Ponzio mosaic Damascus blade and back spacer. Bolsters are mokume with mammoth ivory scales.

Something to look at on a Sunday. Twist Damasteel for the blade with copper damascus bolsters. Super nice mammoth ivory for the scales. Very smooth

As always, STUNNING!
I made a full size folder with the last piece of blue mammoth I had. This one is larger than the "Bri" model. It didn't last long, was purchased before it was finished. I was pretty happy with the way it came out, smooth as butter

Beautiful work. Love ‘em.
this one has Walrus ivory scales with D. Ponzio damascus. Engraved

bolsters and 24k gold plates screws. Engine jeweled liners and floating

damascus backspacer.

Sad to see this knife go today
Amazing!!!
SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!
this one has Walrus ivory scales with D. Ponzio damascus. Engraved

bolsters and 24k gold plates screws. Engine jeweled liners and floating

damascus backspacer.

Beautiful, artful, and functional as well if a fella chose to use it. Exquisite and extraordinary - there really are not enough words to describe you work Dan.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

Beautiful, artful, and functional as well if a fella chose to use it. Exquisite and extraordinary - there really are not enough words to describe you work Dan.[/quote]

Thanks Bob, this is the knife I was working on when my son fell ill and passed. It's been a terribly hard 6 months for me just to keep going. I'm glad it went to a good home
Dan
Just finished this folder. My Bri model folder with Mammoth ivory and Mokume bolsters that I made from 13 quarters each. The blade is mosaic Damascus. Ti frame is anodized blue and the inside engine jeweled. Floating back spacer is also Damascus. The OAL is 9in open and 5 1/8 in closed.

Really nice, from every angle, but I really like the lines of it closed. Very tight work!
Making some fixed blades for fun. Just finished this little scalpel today. AEB-L stainless with box elder burl. My standard leather sheath
[img]http://imgur.com/a/8RNZBBW[/img]

Don't you just want to strangle these twits that keep messing with the links. I can't get the picture to post. I swear, after all the time and trouble to, make the knife, take a good picture, size and upload it to a site, YEAH I'm talking to you IMGUR, some geeky butthole hides the code button. I'm telling you I'm running out of patience in this life.......

Dan308, could you comment on my thread about walrus ivory? It's titled "Alaskan artifacts" if you prefer we can do it by pm or email
Damascus Elk Hunter. This one has mokume bolsters and elk scales. The damascus is 416 layer ladder. Sheath has a croc pattern inlay also made by me.

Mammoth bark with damascus bolsters. The blade is damascus over 80Crv2 core with a copper shim. Gold anodized Titanium frame and floating backspacer. Very carry pocket flipper.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tFjNQrW.mp4[/img]

I can't figure out how to make the movie viewable without clicking the link

This is a small folder about 3 1/4 long folded. Engraving is cool but the turnaround time is about 6 weeks

Awesome thread

Beautiful knives...

You covered a lot of ground here. Heart attack, and loss of a son...

Several years of knives.

You got something going on, for sure...
thanks guys, the hard part is the next knife needs to look cooler than the last lol

If true, you set the bar pretty danged high with your initial post...
Here's the next one I'm working on. So much better to the eye in person

Those are really beautiful knifes
Finished this today. Scales are Mammoth Ivory and the hand engraved bolsters have 24k gold plated screws and pivots. The back spacer is mammoth with a damasteel extension that's also 24k gold plated highlighted by screws. The liners are Titanium that have been anodized and engine jeweled. The blade is damascus over 80CRv2 with a 15n20 shim.

Those hands are gifted by God.
I make just a plain old file knife too lol.

Yup...

Just a plain old file knife!!!

Almost hilarious...

Re the knife you made for me, Every one who sees it has called it gorgeous. And this from both men and women. Someone called knives "male jewelry" in one thread or another.
About right...
Here it is ready to go. Smooth as glass and sharp as a razor. The inside frames are engine jeweled. I know this one is not my style but I just had to make it. Glad I did. I'm kind of proud of this one.

Blade = Bifrost
Scales = Plasma Timascus
Bolsters = Walrus Ivory
Pivot Collars = Plasma Timascus
Liners = Titanium
Screws = Titanium
Back Spacer = Plasma Timascus
Runs on Bearings

That is a seriously impressive piece!
I learn a bit more with each knife I make. This one turned out very nice. Timascus is really expensive so I don't see me making another unless it's a custom order. This one lasted 10 minutes on FB
Never heard of Timascus til today. I checked out Alpha's stuff they sell

Really liked the white aztec, but a .132 billet 10" or so long is about $300 alone...

And they only have what they have. Doesn't seem like you could order any pattern/color in any particular billet dimension.
I really gotta stop looking at knives...
I was going to buy the pivot screws made from Timascus but they were $45 each so I just made my own, way cheaper
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]I really like that blade profile dude. It’s got a lotta belly on it.
Here's a rasp file with some elk antler

Here's one I call, Dragonfly, Full mammoth ivory scales with Timascus pivot. The blade is 1/2 feather damascus with a 80CRv2 core from Adam Deville. Jeweled insides and runs on bearings.

Last one before Christmas. Stacked Leather Hunter with sheath ready to go. Made from a 40 inch L-6 saw blade.

Your eye for materials/combinations is next level. The finished products are the most unique thing I’ve seen.
Thank you, that means a lot to me.
My first kitchen knife of the 2024. 8 1/4 inch Gyuto Chef knife. Made from S35Vn stainless steel. The scales are mammoth ivory with Titanium screws. I'm still working on the Saya cover for it.

Well Dan I would have to say it looks like you have this knife making thing down pat!!
Stunning work.
thanks, I've been practicing.
thanks, I've been practicing.

For a lot of years. It shows.
Decided to make a few folders that are a little more affordable. Here's s small folder with ADS damascus bolsters and blade. Scales are Elk antler. Runs on bearings with Titanium liners. Not a lot of bells and whistles but still smooth as glass

Decided to make a few folders that are a little more affordable. Here's s small folder with ADS damascus bolsters and blade. Scales are Elk antler. Runs on bearings with Titanium liners. Not a lot of bells and whistles but still smooth as glass

Exceptional.
Dan is that gyuto still available?
yes I still have it. pm sent
“A thing of beauty is a joy forever!” Man adorned his tools and weapons with artwork. You build heirloom quality stuff.
Enjoy, as others do, seeing what you are up to. Enjoy the creativity seen here.
I'm just glad to see people even look at my stuff. Just trying to show there's a huge world beyond Kershaw and Spyderco
They all are a work of art! You have a gift.

Exceptional craftsmanship!
Here's a basic hunting knife. Nicholson file blade with Elk antler. Brass guard with red spacers. I like the old timey look so I dip it in ferric and it usually looks old lol

VERY nice! As always.
I love that pattern knife, but does not seem to have a great following.
Bit of a Randall look, but better.
The last one is great work. Nice horn on it.
308….If it’s been mentioned before I apologize..but are these knives for sale as you post them or all they all spoken for via special order..?

I love the pics but personally I think it would be great if there was prices/availability along with the pictures
here's one with gun blue finish

This fold is going with me to Blade Show Texas 23rd & 24th. I still can't figure out how to post a video here. Pictures don't do it justice.

Here is the finished "Acid Rain" Timascus and Walrus folder. Titanium screws and engine jeweled frame with hand made Timascus pivot collars. Backspacer and blade are Damasteel and the pattern is Ægir pattern. It will be up on the website as soon as I get some good pics The OAL is 7.5in open

Classy Cowboy flipper with stag and copper damascus. The damascus for the blade made by Chad Nichols

© 24hourcampfire