Home
Posted By: SamSteele Grohmann Knives? - 09/21/17
Hi all,

I just picked up a Grohmann #103 Short Skinner on a whim and wondered if anyone here had experience with their knives? It is a stainless steel blade with rosewood handle.

SS

Attached picture Grohmann.jpg
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/21/17
I have used the Grohmann #2 Trout and Bird knife with complete satisfaction as a whitetail knife. Of course, the steel is softer than the 154CM, D2, and S30V that I usually employ but it takes a nice edge. This knife pattern made by a really good custom maker using really good steel and Micarta would be impressive indeed. But as it is the Grohmann is a very good knife at an excellent price point.

RS
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/22/17
I have one of their D. H. Russell Canadian Belt Knife and think that it is a good knife for anything from trout to whitetails.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/22/17
I carried one for most of my Canadian Armed Forces career.
Great knife!
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/22/17
Thanks all. The only negative I have heard about them is that they don't hold an edge really well. Hopefully I find that to not be the case.

SS
Posted By: jdollar Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/22/17
I bought a similar model(don't recall the exact model name) in Halifax 28 years ago on the way to Newfoundland for a moose hunt. Used it to help my guide skin a nice bull. Worked great and was the sharpest factory knife I ever bought. Still using it and very pleased.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Thanks all. The only negative I have heard about them is that they don't hold an edge really well. Hopefully I find that to not be the case.

SS

They are very easy to re-sharpen as required. Some hold an edge better than others but none I have seen were terrible really.
A very good knife for the money.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Grohmann Knives? - 09/27/17
I have a variety of them, use the bird & trout as my whitetail knife. Just keep it out of bone. I also have the folder version of the Canadian Belt knife. Much less impressed with it than the same in straight.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Grohmann Knives? - 10/02/17
The civilian version of the Canadian Forces survival knife is a heck of a lot of knife in a small space for a small price. Usually I don't like "survival knives." They tend toward the Rambo-poser styles. But this one probably would help you survive in a real-life situation.
Posted By: Brad Re: Grohmann Knives? - 11/16/17
Love the Canadian Belt Knife... this one has sentimental value. My father, not knowing I already owned one, happened to go to the factory in Nova Scotia, and bought this for me as a Christmas gift 20 years ago. It's pretty much the only knife I use and has taken apart a lot of elk:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: Grohmann Knives? - 12/03/17
Originally Posted by Brad
Love the Canadian Belt Knife... this one has sentimental value. My father, not knowing I already owned one, happened to go to the factory in Nova Scotia, and bought this for me as a Christmas gift 20 years ago. It's pretty much the only knife I use and has taken apart a lot of elk:

[Linked Image]

I have an identical one I picked up when I lived in Canada a few years back
© 24hourcampfire