Home
Posted By: mtnman1 Muley - 10/12/17
Popped a pretty decent buck yesterday in between chasing elk. Killed whitetails and lots of other critters, but this is my first Muley.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Muley - 10/12/17
Nice buck!
Posted By: 17_wizzer Re: Muley - 10/12/17
congrats, that's a good lookin buck!
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Muley - 10/12/17
Nice buck and nice pic of working knives.
I am doing one for a customer that is similar to the bottom knife.
Would appreciate a closer look if you could and some highlights of how it works.
Thanks
Tim
Damn I wish I still had a place to hunt out west.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Muley - 10/12/17
Tim,

I'll try to get ya a better pic of that one for you later on. It's my working/daily carry knife, so sees a lot of use. I've developed a habit of not splitting the brisket on critters to save the capes. Not exactly sure how I got in that habit, but its the way I do 'em all these days. I have a couple of friends who are Taxidermists and I used to give 'em capes if they needed 'em. Anyway, I usually reach up inside and cut the trake purely by feel. That little blade is invaluable for doing that as it's small enough to maneuver inside the chest cavity even on the small bodied Texas deer I'm used to. I've taken more hogs and deer apart with that little blade than any dozen other knives combined. I usually carry a bigger knife just because I can, but that one is my favorite and is handier than a pocket on a shirt. As I'm learning more about hunting in the mountains its easy to see how the weight savings of carrying that little blade would be very appealing. I've pealed hides and so forth and never wanted for a bigger blade, so could easily carry that one by itself and never look back.
Posted By: mike_e_miller Re: Muley - 10/12/17
Congratulations Dale! Now get an elk!!!
Posted By: Judman Re: Muley - 10/12/17
That'll work Dale!! Damn nice deer!!

I recognize that top blade, I got my "Howe mtn elk hunter" on standby for its maiden voyage to BC here in a few months.... can't wait to put it to work!!
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Muley - 10/13/17
Thanks guys appreciate all the comments. Kinda proud of him since he's my first mule deer. Just never had the chance to hunt 'em, so he'll do. Damned bruiser of a body on him. Retired guide helped me hoist him in the truck and said he'll run 275 to 300 easily. Always lookin' for a chance to try steel in the field. M390 and 154 respectively and both work well. Beautiful country here and I am learnin' my way around. (Fortunately, I have a lot of friends who are pointing me in the right directions). Hasn't been quite cold enough for Elk to be pushed down consistently. Saw a few, but I need more Cold and Snow. I'll keep workin' the high country and see if I can scare somethin' up.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Muley - 10/13/17
mighty fine,

GWB
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Muley - 10/13/17
fine animal and great knives. Who could ask for anything more? smile
Posted By: twofish Re: Muley - 10/13/17
Great looking Muley Dale! Man, he is tall.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Muley - 10/14/17
Beautiful buck. Well done!
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Muley - 10/14/17
Tim,

here's that little knife. Washed 'er off...Sorry for the lousy cell phone picture, Looked better covered in blood in the field. 5 1/2 OAL with a 2 1/2 blade. Sambar scales

[Linked Image]
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Muley - 10/14/17
Great buck and Knives.
Posted By: Judman Re: Muley - 10/14/17
I'm diggin that Dale, be a dandy caper...
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Muley - 10/14/17
Thanks for the extra pic
That is darned nice little knife. Smaller than I thought from the first pic.
I am betting your are spot on for being quite handy.
Yes, the bloody pics are tops, but sometimes it is nice to see what is underneath also.
Should you ever need a side kick muley hunting.................
Thanks
Tim
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Muley - 10/15/17
Nice! All the way around!

Todd
Posted By: RGK Re: Muley - 10/16/17
It wouldn't upset your fans here if you smiled just a bit after whacking that buck...
Bob
Posted By: SKane Re: Muley - 10/16/17
That's a cool lookin' buck! Congrats!
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Muley - 10/16/17
Originally Posted by RGK
It wouldn't upset your fans here if you smiled just a bit after whacking that buck...
Bob

Bob, that is as close as I get to smilin'.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Muley - 10/17/17
Good work Dale ,congrat's !
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Muley - 10/20/17
Nice buck!
Posted By: troutfly Re: Muley - 10/21/17
That is a dandy mulie!
Hunting them is addictive as all get out, kinda like acquiring good knives!
© 24hourcampfire