Home
Hey Guys,

Any issues using corby's with wood scales? I'm wondering if you have to just barely snug up the corby's in order to prevent cracking? I can't see how really cranking them down tight would be a good thing for wood scales.

thanks....Jeff
Jeff
I have yet to have a problem with corbys splitting out organic materials ---at least not that I am aware of.
But, I do not crank on them and usually use adhesives also such as two part epoxy in all voids.
Tighten down assembly and snug up bolts.
Tim
Tim,

Yes, I was thinking if I use wood with Corby's I would also use epoxy on the threaded and to seal everything up.

Thanks.
I just snug the Corby's up no matter the material I am using for scales, a little Loc-tite and I depend on the epoxy to keep everything together. Every knife I've built to date has stayed secure so I'll keep building them that way.
I guess I'm not very sophisticated when I use Corbys and thong holes. I drill the holes for the shaft and heads. I mix epoxy on a coffee can lid and stir it with a match stick. I can see equal size circles of epoxy and hardener. Stir with the stick. I cover inside surface of scale with mixed epoxy then put epoxy where the head seats then do the other side. I think when I put male and female Corby parts together where I had coated the head area gets pushed down where they screw together.
Tighten down snug then sit to harden.
I put epoxy on both holes for thong tube ,start one side and coat outside of tube with more epoxy then push it through.

You can mix 30 minute epoxy on a coffee can lid and when it hardens you can pop it off to reuse the lid.
Same regimen here, but I cut up Corn Flake boxes and use them to mix two part epoxy with tooth picks, then throw them away.
If the front of the scales will be exposed, I usually put a coat of epoxy on there also and then wipe most off with a paper towel wet
with alcohol. Gives a little tougher surface there.
© 24hourcampfire