Home
Posted By: Justahunter Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
I don't do much restoration work because it takes as much time to restore a knife as it does to build one if not more. But once in a while I take one on and always love doing them.

We all have knives that the greats before us used. Not all are very fancy but old time production knives that have earned a hard living being used by old cowboys, hunters and outdoorsmen hold a special place in our hearts.

I had a good buddy reach out to me to restore "an old cowboy's knife".. Some of those old timers like to keep the battle scars these knives have earned over the years while some would like to see them in their former glory, if not glorified a little more than they used to be. Whatever the case I sure had a good time putting a spit shine on something that has been around a day or two and which is ready to go right back to work with it's 2nd wind.

A few before and after pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Every knife's worst nightmare! the BENCHGRINDER!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Continued...
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
[Linked Image]

He wanted the new sheath as small as possible but very secure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hope he likes it because there is no putting it back!

Thanks for looking,

Todd
Posted By: Texczech Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
You did an excellent job. Atta boy!
Posted By: 44mc Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
you have more talent than you know i would have just built a new one . thanks for posting
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
Very impressive craftsmanship. Thank you for a very informative post.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
Agreed that restoring a vintage classic can take as long as building a new knife. A couple of years ago I restored a circa 1920's Kabar that had been my Dad's that at some time in the past had been put on a bench grinder. Fortunately it had only been sharpened on a grinder one time, still it took hours of work to restore that blade. It was definately time well spent as now the knife looks as if it never saw a grinder. I had a saddlemaker make a new sheath for it, too bad Dad has been gone for a while now, I know he would be proud of the effort I put into restoring his knife.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
The "work" done to that knife was criminal.

Thank you for the time and effort spent restoring it.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Knife Restore Project. - 01/31/18
Well done, sir.
Very Nicely Done!! Excellent!!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Knife Restore Project. - 02/01/18
I have my Dad's old Clauss skinner style hunting knife. I don't know it's age, but he told me that he was using it when he was at the University of Florida, back in the thirties. It's got a lot of wear, and shows age and hard use. I toyed at one time with getting it refinished, but decided to just leave it as is. Dad was quite the outdoors man as a young fellow, and using his knife helps keep him close to me. He died in 1991. I still miss him daily.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Knife Restore Project. - 02/01/18
That’s a cool knife! Don’t think I’d do much to that one either!

Todd
Posted By: fshaw Re: Knife Restore Project. - 02/02/18
Great job on the Schrade. Work to be proud of. The Clauss skinner is a beauty just as it is.

Nice post.

Frank
Posted By: guy57 Re: Knife Restore Project. - 02/03/18
Somewhere that old cowboy is looking down, smiling, and saying, ataboy.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Knife Restore Project. - 02/03/18
Well done....

Family heirloom.....ain't nobody touching it......I like it and still use it just the way it is.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stantdm Re: Knife Restore Project. - 03/03/18
Great job on the Cowboy knife. It really came out, to me, just right.
© 24hourcampfire