Home
I'm interested in retiring my Marble's Ideal 5" that I got for Christmas 1951, and noticed that Bark River makes a very similar knife called the "Boone I." Anybody got one or have handled one? Wondered how they compare with the original.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa
FWIW, a link,

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-boone-i/

ya!

GWB
That's a good looking knife and BR makes a very good product but price wise they can get up in custom territory.

I have one BR but I bought it used so the price wasn't bad. The quality's top notch.
Mike
IF you are interested----

I have a blade (I made) and not handled yet that is 4 3/4" and similar to the one you are looking at.
It can be handled in most any material and would not have a butt cap or a fuller.
Steel is 154CM at 59Rc.
Price similar to Bark prices.
Tim
Looks like the Buck 119

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like that Boone knife, but I already have this Buck 119. Good wood, S30V steel.
[Linked Image]
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12786341/leather-barkie

I don't have the Boone I but I do have the earlier production Leather handled Bark River in the picture.

Comparing a Bark River to an Early Marbles knife I would expect the Barkie to have better steel, better convex blade geometry, a better sheath and better workmanship.

I have quite a few Bark RIver Knives because I like the steel, convex edges and feel in hand. Their workmanship is above a normal production blade but it's not as good as most full custom knives. I'm not saying it's bad per se just not at the level of say a Chris Reeves or full custom knife, maybe 6-7 out of 10. Some of their sheaths are even nicer.

All in all they aren't cheap but likely a far superior knife overall to an original Marbles and should last at least most of the rest of your life. :-)

.............................dj

BTW how do I get an image from the gallery to post directly? Doesn't seem to be working right for me.......
© 24hourcampfire