Home
Posted By: j_elky Edge Pro? - 11/26/18
Who has one, which model, and how do you like it?

Right now I go to either 200 or 400 on the grinder and then to a fine diamond stone.

Jeff
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Edge Pro? - 11/26/18
Jeff
Boise loaned me his and then I bought one. A good piece of equipment as far as I am concerned.
Not sure the model I bought, but it was not the most expensive.
I buy my replacement stones from them.

The only issue I have is having to tape the blade to keep from scratching it up.
It is quick to switch sides and stones. I keep the angle set at 24 normally.

I do 120 grit on 1x42 to get most of the cutting bevel shaped.
Then on Edge Pro--120 grit, 220 grit, 600 grit and finish on leather strop.

I keep the stones fresh with lightly soapy water and clean with tooth brush and wipe off.
I also keep stones reshaped to flat as they wear.
Works for me.

Tim
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Edge Pro? - 11/27/18
I have been using an EdgePro Apex for some time now. I don't use it on Scandi grind blades or convex grind, but on the others, it excels. I rarely have to actually sharpen a good knife. Edge touch up seems to work. On knives for processing dead critters, I'll polish the edge with 2000 and 5000 grit tape.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Edge Pro? - 11/27/18

Go carefully when using a belt grinder. Easy to go too far and/or too hot. Fresh grit and light pressure.

Yeah, the hollow ground blade does not set that well on the Edge Pro rest, but I only have one hollow ground blade.
I would think the Scandi would work on the Edge Pro, but I have never had one of them. What process works best with Scandi?????

I probably should try going to that fine of an edge finish for just processing meat, but I have
a tendency towards a slightly toothy edge.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Edge Pro? - 11/27/18
I have the Edge Pro Apex. It's a versatile and effective tool. I like mine for when I really need to sharpen a knife. Not worth setting it up for a touch up on a blade.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Edge Pro? - 11/28/18
Tim, I use Japanese water stones for scandi grind knives.
Posted By: Keith1 Re: Edge Pro? - 11/29/18
I have an Edge Pro Apex and really like it. The kit that I got has Shapton water stones and they work good.

Regards
Posted By: j_elky Re: Edge Pro? - 11/29/18
Thanks for the responses guys.

Hoping Santa will bring me an Apex for xmas!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Edge Pro? - 11/29/18
Wicked edge Go is another very nice sharpener!
© 24hourcampfire