Home
I am NOT a knife maker. Just a craftsman/outdoorsman. Need advice and opinions from you pros out there. For years I've been using anything from steak knives to angle grinders and it's time to make a fleshing knife. Need thoughts on steel, stock material, and edge. Seen a few YouTube videos but they never specify what they're using. Greatly appreciate your help on this. Beans
I have always wondered itf a drawknife turned backwards would work
Look at the Victorinox Beef Skinner and Sheep Skinner. This is an old design and works well. The steel is something like 12C27 nothing exotic but will take a fine edge and last through one or two deer before a touch up is needed. The blades are very thin and flat ground for slicing.

Some people like the Green River Skinner which is 1095 steel at something like R 55-58 some who like these put a rougher less fine edge on them and claim they cut through less this way. I see some butchers using these.

Other people swear by Ulus or hatchets so lots of choices. Me I want to put something together similar to a Nessmuk/Bent Nosed Skinner in a good steel maybe D2 as a skinning blade.
D2 is a good steel on a skinner. I love a round nose aka(bull nose)skinner. Allows you to go fast without having to really worry about poking through.
Good info. I have a KOA Brown bear cleaver that works great for skinning, although the weight can get to you pretty quick while skinning. Works great for splitting the pelvic bone as well. It lives in the kitchen all year except for deer season when I take it to camp. It's my wife's favorite chopper. It's D2, think it might do alright at fleshing a couple of hides? Thinking about giving it a shot.
anything will 'do alright' for only a couple hides. A real fleshing knife will do it faster, easier and better. And be less work.
are you talking about a "fleshing" knife or a skinning knife? two rather different tools.
Originally Posted by mtnman1
are you talking about a "fleshing" knife or a skinning knife? two rather different tools.

No doubt!
Unless one becomes a sensei with their fillet knife!
I'm talking about a fleshing knife.
Whatever you get, try it on an otter first if you can. If it gets that job done and stays sharp then its good. I hate trapping the dang things because they are such a pain to deal with
[Linked Image]
Huntsman...

"Now that's a fleshing knife..." smile

99% of fleshing is with the "dull" edge
That's what I'm looking for. Maybe flat steel bar?
You could probably pick up a heavy piece of blade stock from Alpha if you have access to a method to heat treat
© 24hourcampfire