Home
This one was given to me by my uncle around 1970, as near as I can figure. Maybe '71. As a kid i thought it was so precious that I was afraid to use it and so into my drawer it went. It's been in a box there ever since. I've still never sliced a thing with it.
Really know next to nothing about it. A' fisherman's knife'. I think the needle piece was intended for mending nets?

[Linked Image]
That is a cool old knife. I remember when Puma was the high dollar stuff.
Never seen one of those....cool indeed.
My best friends dad gave me this one when I was in Jr. High.....early 60's.....it was already pretty well used when I got it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was my go to deer hunting knife until Buck came out with the Vanguard in the 80's and I had to have one.

I still have both of em.

[Linked Image]
I've have an old knife that my dad used when I was a kid. I'm 69. It was in rough shape, Tim ( Michigan road kill) fixed for me! I'd take a picture but I don't know how to post them any more.
My mom bought my twin brother and I cub scout pocket knives when we were 7 years old. I suspect she didn't buy is the boy scout version with the can opener for fear of us practicing on her canned goods.

My brother lost his, but I still have mine 45 years later.

Blade is a little loose and I carry it once in a while for sentimental reasons.
A Case yellow bone handled Trapper from the 60’s. Hadn’t carried it in YEARS, as I cut my index finger all the way to the damn bone with it back in College while trying to break in to my truck via the vent window with it after I locked my keys in there. Fuggers will sure fold up on you if you do something stupid like using them to pry with. 😢
I have two of my dad's knives, a stag handled Kabar sheath knife that he got for selling newspaper subscriptions in the late 1920's and a Remington UMC two bladed muskrat with jigged bone scales. I acquired both of these knives circa 1962, never used wither one to hunt as my dad gave me a knife of my own and his G.I. stainless steel handled pocket knife.
I have a Sharp brand fixed blade that was exclusive to Kmart. Field dressed quite a few deer with up to this past seasons buck. It is now retired.
My folks gave me this Western knife for Christmas in 1966 or 67 (I was about 12). I bought a new sheath for it several years ago, similar but not exact to the original.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by longarm
This one was given to me by my uncle around 1970, as near as I can figure. Maybe '71. As a kid i thought it was so precious that I was afraid to use it and so into my drawer it went. It's been in a box there ever since. I've still never sliced a thing with it.
Really know next to nothing about it. A' fisherman's knife'. I think the needle piece was intended for mending nets?

[Linked Image]

Looks like a bait needle. Cool knife.
Basic Old timer Full tang Shrade old steel, not particularly flashy, but my go to knife other than Buck gut hook.
loveless drop hunter I got from him around 78 or 79.
A Blackie Collins designed S&W skinner.
Dad's Korea war era K-bar. I'll keep it a while longer.
Buck 110 that I bought in 1972 for $20.
longarm that is a fish scaler hook remover bottle opener blade . my oldest blade is a sharp finger my mom gave me on my 13bd in 74
Bottom knife. Case 2 Blade Folding Hunter from 1966. The 110 is the last year of the "hard as woodpecker lips" 440C blade steel from 1981.

That Case was banged around on our ranch for over 40 years before retirement. Dunno how many elk, deer + misc pronghorn, bear, cougar, small game, varmits, yada, yada..and enough balls from domestic critters to fill a boxcar...

[Linked Image]
When I was 12 (1956) I talked my parents into letting me buy a Kinfolks.
My Mother asked -- What does a 12 year old boy need with that?
Still have it.
Blade is a little reduced in size.
Cut a lot of things with that knife, but it is retired now.
I bought a Sharpfinger to replace it in the field and used the Kinfolks for years to cut up chickens etc before retiring it.
Now of course I use knives I made.
[Linked Image]

Lots of Sharpfingers I am guessing. Dad gifted this one to me for Christmas when I was 12 or so...it's seen a couple deer and more pheasants than I can remember.

Had a bunch of folders, Barlows mostly, prior but none have stayed with me.

My old man still buys any knife that says Old Timer on it for whatever reason.
I got a sharpfinger the old man bought me 35 years ago or so, still in the reloading bench
Gramps gave me a Camillus stockman when I was 6 or 7, can't rightly remember for sure. That would have been 1968 or 69. I have a sizeable collection of old pocket knives in a glass top display case. That old Camillus is still in there.
I am not sure it was my first knife, but I still have my Boy Scout knife from the early to mid sixties. My first hunting knife was a Buck 110 in 1975.
This knife was carried by my grandfather, then my dad, then me, and now by my son. My grandfather made it from a kit as a young adult. It's seen a lot of use.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13682321#Post13682321
An Edge Brand with a 4" blade made in Solingen, West Germany, that was purchased at Hirsch's Army-Navy in Lebanon, NH, sometime around 1967.
A German bayonet made into a trench-knife that my Uncle Jack, late of the USMC, brought home from WWI. - About 40 years ago, I asked where he got it & he said simply: "I bought it off a fellow in France." & said nothing more. = He was a "mostly silent" sort of country gentleman.

yours, tex
My grandfather's folding Remington ... I imagine he bought it around 1920 he would be 116 if he were alive today... He broke the blade splitting a deer's pelvis, one of the local craftsmen made a new blade out of a file..... I carried it for about 10 years, then decided it was to valuable to me to carry in the field.. It is in my collection.. I must dig it out and give it to my name sake..
I've a coupla thousand years worth of blades.................(grin)
Randall Model 7...5 inch blade, on its third sheath...47 years...

[Linked Image]
Got by with a Buck Special 119 for a long time until it was stoned down enough to set it aside.

An excellent balance of holding an edge and sharpening ease.

Worked...:)
Got a Case 4" Finn with "leather washer" handle from my Mom for Christmas 1951. Used it for many years and retired it when I decided that a 4" Case Folding Hunter w/single clip blade was easier to carry in my hunting coat--doesn't catch on brambles.

Both have carbon steel blades and still are sharp enough to shave hair off an arm. Or a pig.
Buck Stockman. Purchased in about 1977. Still have it today and in great shape. Followed that up with a Buck Folding Hunter and then a Buck Prince in 1978 or so. Have all three today and still use.....in fact I field dressed my buck in northern Wisconsin this past November using the Folding Hunter.
I made a knife from an old horse hoof rasp in Jr High shop.
I got Dad to bring the farm grindstone to school so that I could shape it without getting it too hot. We rigged up a treadle system to spin the stone by foot. There was a partial old tire hung under the stone that held water and wetted the stone as it turned. The shop teacher put it on display inside the trophy case as an example of "Creative Shop Projects" for the remainder of the year.
My Dad had, at times, used his razor strap to sharpen more than his razor. I had some dislike for that old character shaping strap and used it to make the sheath. (Dad OKed it)

The year previously my dad had shot a big buck and I used an antler for the handle. I carried it as a teenager and field dressed deer that I shot during those years. Sometime around age 25 I stopped carrying it because I really didn't need a 7-inch blade for even the biggest of Adirondack bucks or El Bruno.

It sure takes a great edge and holds the best edge of any knife I have ever used.

That's about 66 years.

My Dad gave me a Schrade Uncle Henry when I was 15... Still carry it (47 years) with other blades when I hunt... It kinda brings Dad along on the Adventure!!!
probly in my tackle box i've had forever
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have had this Sears Roebuck knife since 1968 when I was 12.
That would be a Case stockman that I bought at the Exchange in Little Creek, Va. in 1971.
Quit carrying it a few years ago when one scale cracked.
Used it hard for a long time.
I still use my Dad’s old Clauss skinner. According to him, he bought it back in the 1939s.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Randall Model 7...5 inch blade, on its third sheath...47 years...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coolest post of the month goes to...
I still have my BSA pocket knife I received in 1973. Well used, it is in my safe now.
Oldest knife I have with a family link is a fixed blade that dates back to the mid/ late 30's.
I got it from my Grandfather (my Mothers dad). Although I never knew him to be a hunter, it is a very well made
skinning knife. I suspect it saw service on the farm he grew up on. It gets carried very occasionally.
Jeff
Kinfolks hunter for 65 years.
My Mother asked, "What does a 10 year old boy need with a knife like that?"
My M-3 Pal combat knife issued to Air Force combat crews in Korea in 1953 {B-29s [if you wanted one].
Schrade Uncle Henry Bear Paw LB7 that I bought in the early 80s.
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Kinfolks hunter for 65 years.
My Mother asked, "What does a 10 year old boy need with a knife like that?"

Having been a ten year old boy I would suggest that was an abysmal knowledge of boys.
Buck 105 Pathfinder was the first fixed blade knife I bought (1970's) and still have it. I haven't used it in years as I don't really care for the blade shape.
Randall hunting knife since 1975.
I have an old Schrade Sharp finger I used to clean squirrels from back in the early 80's and a Buck folding hunter I used for gutting deer thats about the same age.....Hb
I bought a Gerber magnum folding hunter in about 1980. Gutted an antelope in Wy in about 1994, and left at that spot. Really liked that knife and found a new one a couple years later and still use it for field dressing b

Have a Colonial two blade pocket knife that was gave to me in 1952 when I was six years old. It was used when I got it.GW
Not that old but my Buck 110 folder my Pop gave me 43 yrs ago. Still going strong !

Swift
A Helle Dyre Vaa that I bought at fur rondy in about 1979. The best knife I owned,field dressed a lot of Moose. I now have a second one, that model isn't made anymore.
Titanium Buck folder my brother gave me for Christmas around 1985.
My grandfathers Remington Bullet folding knife..
© 24hourcampfire