Home
The "wee bit interesting" thread got me thinking about an axe I have. It's a Norlund with the canoe stamp on it. Seems that these are fairly rare, any value to them? What time frame were they made, compared to the other models (Norlund, Genuine Norlund, etc)? It rides around with me about everywhere I go in the woods, trapping, hunting, etc. Wondering if I should treat it with a bit more dignity, lol.
Posted By: Judman Re: Norlund Axe, canoe stamp - 05/16/19
Pics?
Posted By: NMiller Re: Norlund Axe, canoe stamp - 05/16/19
Will get some, don't have any at the moment.
Interested in seeing your pictures. I have a "Genuine Norlund" Hudson Bay pattern that I bought for myself as a boy. My parents undoubtedly trusted me far too much as they permitted several such acquisitions. That axe is still used to this day. I was not aware of the canoe stamp until your post.
Posted By: soybean Re: Norlund Axe, canoe stamp - 05/16/19
http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Norlund%20Co..html
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Norlund Axe, canoe stamp - 05/17/19
Got three Norlunds myself. Great axes! After a Black Raven next. $$$$
Good info soybean, Thanks.
Here are some pics. Not the original handle, I've been through a few of those. Made one I really liked a few years ago, but it is gone now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I saw the site that soybean posted as well. Looking around on the interwebs I don't see too many examples of this particular stamped head so might be fairly rare, hard to say.

Damn Soybean, thanks for that link.
That site has a lot of info on many different brands/makes of axes & tools.
NMiller
May want to file down the edge and get rid of the deformed metal.
It does/can come off with authority and cost some to have it cut out of body parts.
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Interested in seeing your pictures. I have a "Genuine Norlund" Hudson Bay pattern that I bought for myself as a boy. My parents undoubtedly trusted me far too much as they permitted several such acquisitions. That axe is still used to this day. I was not aware of the canoe stamp until your post.

I had one of those Norland Hudson Bay pattern axes too, carried it for many miles of hiking and snowmobiling until some kind soul raided a campsite and stole it while we were away from camp.
Originally Posted by LouisB
NMiller
It does/can come off with authority and cost some to have it cut out of body parts.

Yes, I need to do that. Unfortunately was from a previous owner, whoever that was. I don't generally beat on my axes with sledge hammers, but looks like this one may have been used a bit like that. I need to get it tuned up a bit and fix the handle.
Originally Posted by LouisB
NMiller

Had a piece of metal come off of a giant punch we were using to disassemble a crane motor. Squating down, holding big punch, partner hit punch, metal piece the size of your little finger nail came off, tore right through my pants and embedded in my inner thigh. Hurt like a mother going in AND coming out...took it out myself though so didn't cost me nothing but trouble...and a few bourbon shots for the pain!!!
© 24hourcampfire