Home
Sure makes a purty knife... he rolled me up one just a tad bigger and used different steel since I’m a bit hard on stuff... I’m thinkin this will work out just fine...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: geedubya Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
Good stuff!

Details?

GWB
Posted By: Cinch Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
Very nice... If I ever decide to start hunting I'll have to get me one of those...
Posted By: jeffbird Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
The elk pins are a nice touch.
Looks Great. I have to admit I am not a fan of fancy pins, but dam those look great!
Posted By: SLM Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
Very nice.
I like the scales allot. Are they burlap micarta? The pins are a nice touch. Were you able to convince him to use something other than D2 or s30v?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
Pics of your new fur opener when you get it...Damn nice EHG! 😎
Coffee been burlap... it is not D2 or S30V but I did not have to persuade the man at all... I’m thinking what he used will work great as a hard use knife... He didn’t make it to sit in my panty drawer and pose for pics... Blasphemy I know but some of us actually use our purty knives...

ETA: 3.5” blade .170 thickness, OAL 8” with a man size full grip... tapered tang, red liners and of course those sexy as all fük elk pins...
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Coffee been burlap... it is not D2 or S30V but I did not have to persuade the man at all... I’m thinking what he used will work great as a hard use knife... He didn’t make it to sit in my panty drawer and pose for pics... Blasphemy I know but some of us actually use our purty knives...

ETA: 3.5” blade .170 thickness, OAL 8” with a man size full grip... tapered tang, red liners and of course those sexy as all fük elk pins...

Is it Rex 121 @ 70RC? I doubt it most likely S90V or M4.
No, no and no....
Posted By: SKane Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
That's a dandy. Looking forward to the bloody picts. smile
No, no and no....

There isn't much that is going to touch the Rex 121 @70RC, so it's not anything that special. So that only leaves the cool factor. So I'll guess A2
Posted By: starsky Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/23/19
Looks like a dandy knife...
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
No, no and no....

There isn't much that is going to touch the Rex 121 @70RC, so it's not anything that special. So that only leaves the cool factor. So I'll guess A2

And that would be another wrong guess... nobody said it was anything special... it’s just a different type of steel that I’m trying, to see how much abuse it can take... Plain and simple... Anyone who claims that a Havalon is as close to a “Unicorn” knife as possible ain’t all that special either... Unless we’re talking Hockey helmet , crayon eating short bus special of course... I’ll see how the steel holds up... if it’s amazing I’ll let those that need to know, know... if it’s shïtt those that need to know will be told as well...
No, no and no....

And that would be another wrong guess... nobody said it was anything special... it’s just a different type of steel that I’m trying, to see how much abuse it can take... Plain and simple... Anyone who claims that a Havalon is as close to a “Unicorn” knife as possible ain’t all that special either... Unless we’re talking Hockey helmet , crayon eating short bus special of course... I’ll see how the steel holds up... if it’s amazing I’ll let those that need to know, know... if it’s shïtt those that need to know will be told as well...

Haha............ You are funny. I personally don't care what steel it is. Gene isn't exactly on the cutting edge of working with new steels. Anyone that knows knives also knows what steels are out there. But tickle yourself to death with your "Top Secret" Steel. I am really sorry taking apart an animal and the Havalon baffles you! Keep your Hockey Helmet on and try coloring inside the lines with your crayons instead of eating them.
Again it’s no secret and either is the knowledge of one who thinks the Havalon is the end all... if you didn’t care I doubt you’d have racked that tiny brain of yours with multiple guesses... But guessing seems to be your strong suit... you are sorry... you did get that part right... not much about taking apart an animal baffles me other than a fool who’d run the “Unicorn” to do so... Congrats Turbo... now go grab a cookie... you earned it sweetheart...
Posted By: Fubarski Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/24/19
Seems ta me MCH has done nothing but:

1- Compliment your new rig; and

2- Inquire, as others have, what steel it's made from.

You didn't let on that you're a super-special steel tester for a knifemaker, so can't see why you're upset at someone guessin what the steel is.

And if ya didn't want anybody guessin, ya coulda said so after the first guess.

Then, ya post that after ya test this super secret stuff, you're only gonna tell the privileged how it did?

Ya gotta admit, that ain't the way your usual, everday review goes.

Nice lookin knife.
Thank you for the play by play commentary and the compliment on the knife...

I’m not a super-special steel tester for any knife maker nor do I claim to be and by no means am I upset at anyone for guessing...

I’d much rather experience first hand how it performs and what it is capable of than read it from someone else and go balls deep and order a slug of knives based on internet here say....

If you took it for anything more than that you take this internet business way to serious...

Now kindly go fük yourself...
Guess Ingram wanted a test to see how one would hold up locked in a safe.
I see your strong suit is guessing as well... Mr. Ingram didn’t ask for the test... I did... He built the knife...

Any other guesses you like to take a stab at... pun intended...
Ingram knows a sucker when he sees one?
I know a fool when I read their posts... congrats...

You talk as if you know Mr. Ingram... tell us all about it and solidify you are a fool...
GI: I got this crap steel left over and don't wanna pay the disposal fee.

GI's Assistant: Make a decent lookin knife, and pawn it off on some moron.

GI: If I do, it'll get out that it's a crappy steel.

GIA: Just find some fool, tell em it's a secret steel and he can't tell anybody.

GI: Who'd be stupid enough ta fall for that?

GIA: Well, ya got that ehg guy from the campfire.

GI: Good call. Hand me that hammer.
Lol... that’s what I figured... just because I picked on your man crush you had to jump in and try to rescue him... that was cute of you...

Now let’s hope that wasn’t your “A” game you worthless fük...

You should stick to what you know best which obviously isn’t knives, steel or schïtt talking...

Maybe Rick can start a Man Crush section and you can gargle throat yogurt there while you try to figure out which shïtter to use and what purse will match your dress...

So You don’t know Mr. Ingram personally you just like to pretend you have a clue and use your imagination as to what has been said...
Cool segway. Nice knife to douchebag.

Geez.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/24/19
I see your strong suit is guessing as well... Mr. Ingram didn’t ask for the test... I did... He built the knife...

3rd down in your dresser is the panty drawer? 😎
Dibs on whatever you’re sending to Goodwill....😎
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Geez.

Douchebag... Now that really hurt... my cyber feelings are destroyed...

Dirt why don’t you go get in that Go fük yourself line too... you and fubar can swap recipes and cross stitching tips...

Come back when you actually know something about anything...
Originally Posted by Beaver10

3rd down in your dresser is the panty drawer? 😎

That’d be the working drawer... crotchless and magazines... no knives but I am having a special on WSM mags and reach arounds...

Get to the back of the line...
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Geez.

Douchebag... Now that really hurt... my cyber feelings are destroyed...

Dirt why don’t you go get in that Go fük yourself line too... you and fubar can swap recipes and cross stitching tips...

Come back when you actually know something about anything...

I thought it was a cool knife and was enjoying the thread until you got all cock-knocked because a few guys wanted to know what type of Steel it was. WTF.
No, no and no....

LD....It got sporty early. 😎
No, no and no....

LD....It got sporty early. 😎

Apparently so. Lol
Posted By: MOGC Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/24/19
Originally Posted by Fubarski
GI: I got this crap steel left over and don't wanna pay the disposal fee.

GI's Assistant: Make a decent lookin knife, and pawn it off on some moron.

GI: If I do, it'll get out that it's a crappy steel.

GIA: Just find some fool, tell em it's a secret steel and he can't tell anybody.

GI: Who'd be stupid enough ta fall for that?

GIA: Well, ya got that ehg guy from the campfire.

GI: Good call. Hand me that hammer.

Stunningly stupid of you...
Posted By: Fubarski Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/25/19
Originally Posted by MOGC

Amazin that you was able ta post that while bein fisted by el [bleep].

See how easy that is?

Apparently, bein embarrassed bout a tiny dick leads ta bein sensitive bout knife steel.
Posted By: MOGC Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/25/19
Calm down foul mouth. I don't understand the need to keep the steel type secret either. But it's not my knife or any of my business. My problem is your reckless bs accusations concerning Ingram's character and business practices.
Posted By: Judman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/25/19
Damn I really like those pins!! That’s a nice piece!! Grats

Apparently, bein embarrassed bout a tiny dick leads ta bein sensitive bout knife steel.

Well at least you finally surfaced with your expertise... obviously it has nothing to do with steel... you go girl...
Thanks Jud... I’m liking it thus far and hopefully the steel works as planned also...
Calm down foul mouth. I don't understand the need to keep the steel type secret either. But it's not my knife or any of my business. My problem is your reckless bs accusations concerning Ingram's character and business practices.

MOGC, I’m not trying to keep it a secret but also won’t brag up something I have no clue about... If/when it works out as planned I’ll share with those that have an interest in it...
That is a fine looking knife ! First time I have seen the elk pins, me likey.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/25/19

See how easy that is?

Tell us more about the Rex 121 that you’re a fanboy about, but save the fisting stories for your daddy. 😎
Gene has made knives for me that deviated from his standard catalog. He was happy to accommodate my need for a larger handle, and for a slightly different shape. I know him well enough to talk to him on the phone. His D2 has proven durable enough for my needs. The OP showed a beautiful knife, and is rightly proud of it. I don’t understand why things went to hell after that.

See how easy that is?

Tell us more about the Rex 121 that you’re a fanboy about, but save the fisting stories for your daddy. 😎

I don't think Fubarski is a fanboy of Rex 121, that was me that mentioned it.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/25/19

See how easy that is?

I don't think Fubarski is a fanboy of Rex 121, that was me that mentioned it.

What’s to like? From reading - Primarily a slicing only steel. Chips, fractures easily if used away from slicing...Definitely not a gen-purpose blade...It will discolor fast due to carbon level making it look like schit in fast order.
Aside from edge longevity the steel integrity reads like you need to watch it like a newborn....

And you ain’t that guy who’s gonna babysit your gear by not using it...😎

What’s to like? From reading - Primarily a slicing only steel. Chips, fractures easily if used away from slicing...Definitely not a gen-purpose blade...It will discolor fast due to carbon level making it look like schit in fast order.
Aside from edge longevity the steel integrity reads like you need to watch it like a newborn....

Well like any other steel and knife maker, there are some that know how to make it work better than others.

I say this loosely, Anyone can make a knife. Some can make really beautiful art masterpiece's, Some can make incredible working (made to be used), some make functional, and some well, make things that look like knives.

A few things that set makers apart in no particular order.

Heat Treat. Not just how to follow a recipe or send it out to be done, but understand all the dynamics.

Metallurgy. Not just knowing what is in the make-up of the steel, but how they effect each other and what to take into consideration for heat treat.

Gain structure and layout for the profile

Grinds and proper edge geometry.

I am old enough and have been around knives and knife makers long enough to remember the leaders and the followers. I remember when 440 was all the rage, ATS-34 was all the rage, S30V was all the rage, and so on and so on. I remember the guys that were hesitant to work with (add whichever steel you want), and the guys that were racking their brains and going through belts trying to get (add whatever steel you want here) to perform.

I have been involved in knifes, going to shows, collecting, using, talking to makers, etc. long before the internet, 24 hour Campfire, and social media. Not sure exactly what year it was but I ordered my first knife from Phil Wilson via a letter in the mail from overseas when I was in the Corps, so sometime between 1990 and 1995. I bought my first Randall in 1986 in person from the man himself. I spent many days in Phill Hartsfield's tiny little store listening to him talk about knife making, and the feedback from customers that's lives depended on them, I bought my first knife from him in 1990. I owned several May's and Ingram's before I was a member here on the Fire. From 1984 to 1990 I subscribed to every knife magazine out there and read them cover to cover. I continued to read them while I was in the Corps, my grandmother would send them to me every month. I have seen a lot, forgot A Lot!, bought a lot, sold a bunch, used some that should probably never been used, and Made money and lost money. I love knives and knife makers that are at the forefront of what we have settled for. I appreciate those that make a great working knife no matter what steel it is. Though I do not collect anymore I still admire and sometimes drool over the likes of Young, Lovestrand, Loveless, Randall, Centofante, Lake, Harvey, Elishewitz, Gaston, Holder, Zscherny, Pease, Moran, Bose, Onion, Scagle, Herron, and Pardue. Sorry if I forgot any others as I am sure I did.

I don't have to hide what steel I ask Ingram to make a knife for me out of. It isn't bragging something up. It is a choice in steel you decided to try plan and simple. I have tried a bunch of steel's I wouldn't ever pick again. It is no big deal. But some people on here are keyboard commando's, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says they are just going to be a douche bag.

Personally nothing Winston, May, or Ingram makes really gets me that excited. They are great functioning working knives, but they aren't anything magical! I would include Dozier but I consider all of them above and beyond anything Dozier makes.

With that said I would rather lose a Havalon than any custom knife. I rather snap or chip a mass produced scalpel blade than a custom knife. I know how to take apart animals and have never had a problem doing it with even a cheap Schrade or Buck knife. I carry both the Havalon and Customs when hunting. The Havalon can do anything and everything the best of Custom's can do, minus one thing they have no emotional connection. Plain and simple it is a replaceable tool that works very well.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
Nice knife EGH.

Since no one has asked... what steel is it? (grin)
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it.

I appreciate a nice blade that has form, function and strength by maintaining it’s edge. I’ve parted piles of meat with old school Gerbers and various types of pocket blades over the years....I’m not busting your balls over running a Havalon. I own one, too. It’s an easy toss in the pack extra that has been used on a few occasions.

To your point, the Hav’s are a cheap option with no heartburn if it breaks or get’s forgotten in a deep canyon. I wouldn’t be running a Lawndale Loveless original myself - some do and would. I respect a guy who isn’t timid about such things, if that was the purpose of his purchase. To use it.

I don’t get giddy about many things I use for hunting, blades included...I do want quality and pay for it on items that can make or break a hunt though.

As for the OP. He appears to be one who won’t brag on something he’s never used, thus pushing the idea there’s quality in an untried item he’s not familiar with...Some posters get flamed for speaking outta their ass about something they’ve never actually used themselves.

So, what’s the mystery? I could actually give a fûck one way or the other...It’ll be in his hands to determine not mine. If at some point in the future it becomes something, and he wants to share his and Ingram’s steel endeavor, if I see the post, it may or may not be interesting to me...

Until then, I will keep running the blades from Godogs57. 😎
You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it.

I appreciate a nice blade that has form, function and strength by maintaining it’s edge. I’ve parted piles of meat with old school Gerbers and various types of pocket blades over the years....I’m not busting your balls over running a Havalon. I own one, too. It’s an easy toss in the pack extra that has been used on a few occasions.

To your point, the Hav’s are a cheap option with no heartburn if it breaks or get’s forgotten in a deep canyon. I wouldn’t be running a Lawndale Loveless original myself - some do and would. I respect a guy who isn’t timid about such things, if that was the purpose of his purchase. To use it.

I don’t get giddy about many things I use for hunting, blades included...I do want quality and pay for it on items that can make or break a hunt though.

As for the OP. He appears to be one who won’t brag on something he’s never used, thus pushing the idea there’s quality in an untried item he’s not familiar with...Some posters get flamed for speaking outta their ass about something they’ve never actually used themselves.

So, what’s the mystery? I could actually give a fûck one way or the other...It’ll be in his hands to determine not mine. If at some point in the future it becomes something, and he wants to share his and Ingram’s steel endeavor, if I see the post, it may or may not be interesting to me...

You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it. NO!

Not true at all. I am a fan of a working knife that can be used and used hard. I am a fan of makers that are at the front of the pack testing and developing new steels. Nothing against those that sit on D2, S30V, 154. They are great steels when worked properly.

It isn't bragging. The knife is X amount OAL, Blade is X length of ABC Steel, scales are XYZ with awesome Elk pins. Nothing bragging about it. He chooses to be a Douche Bag.

I don't give a F_ck what the steel is. Like everyone else I was just interested in the knifes materials. It is a really nice knife. Honestly the RC would probably be more interesting than the steel.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19

You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it. NO!

Not true at all. I am a fan of a working knife that can be used and used hard. I am a fan of makers that are at the front of the pack testing and developing new steels. Nothing against those that sit on D2, S30V, 154. They are great steels when worked properly.

It isn't bragging. The knife is X amount OAL, Blade is X length of ABC Steel, scales are XYZ with awesome Elk pins. Nothing bragging about it. He chooses to be a Douche Bag.

I don't give a F_ck what the steel is. Like everyone else I was just interested in the knifes materials. It is a really nice knife. Honestly the RC would probably be more interesting than the steel.

Curious do you have a favorite steel?
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Havalon....😂😎

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

It’s the new rage... I’m driving at the moment but I’ll be back...

I have a few I really like, I wouldn't say a favorite. Depends on the use of the knife to a large extent. As well as who made it.

S90V, S110V, S125V, M4, 10V

A2

N690, K390, K294

Believe it or not I still like ATS-34 too.

You can have the best steel and sh_t Heat Treat the knife is mediocre at best or just plain garbage. I am always leery of custom knives with RC ranges like 60-61, . It is fine in production knives, but in customs the maker should be testing and marking the reading.

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

Looks expensive...........

But I prefer the Ingram with elk pins!

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

And a girl could wear them as a nose stud if inclined. 😎
Posted By: fredIII Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
Sure makes a purty knife... he rolled me up one just a tad bigger and used different steel since I’m a bit hard on stuff... I’m thinkin this will work out just fine...

[Linked Image]

If you ever need that pos sharp! I will fix it for you. Hint.
Posted By: kingston Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

And a girl could wear as a nose stud if inclined. 😎

People watching at PDX!
And we’re off....😎

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kingston

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

And a girl could wear as a nose stud if inclined. 😎

People watching at PDX!

I heard clit piercing is coming back in style, along with knee length bushes...Just what I overheard in Portland 😎

People watching at PDX!

I am sorry! Portland gives the Beautiful State of Oregon a bad rap!

I heard clit piercing is coming back in style,

FML, I am getting OLD! When did it go out of style? I missed that memo.

I have a few I really like, I wouldn't say a favorite. Depends on the use of the knife to a large extent. As well as who made it.

S90V, S110V, S125V, M4, 10V

A2

N690, K390, K294

Believe it or not I still like ATS-34 too.

You can have the best steel and sh_t Heat Treat the knife is mediocre at best or just plain garbage. I am always leery of custom knives with RC ranges like 60-61, . It is fine in production knives, but in customs the maker should be testing and marking the reading.

Would like to try something in S90V but for the most part I get by with D2 and S30V!

Would like to try something in S90V but for the most part I get by with D2 and S30V!

I have a lifetime plus of S30V knives. Not a big fan of D2 have a handful but both are fine steels and will certainly do the job well.

People watching at PDX!

I am sorry! Portland gives the Beautiful State of Oregon a bad rap!

That is sadly a fact....😎
Blah blah blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah... blah...

I don't have to hide what steel I ask Ingram to make a knife for me out of. It isn't bragging something up. It is a choice in steel you decided to try plan and simple. I have tried a bunch of steel's I wouldn't ever pick again. It is no big deal. But some people on here are keyboard commando's, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says they are just going to be a douche bag.

Personally nothing Winston, May, or Ingram makes really gets me that excited. They are great functioning working knives, but they aren't anything magical!

With that said I would rather lose a Havalon than any custom knife. I rather snap or chip a mass produced scalpel blade than a custom knife. I know how to take apart animals and have never had a problem doing it with even a cheap Schrade or Buck knife. I carry both the Havalon and Customs when hunting. The Havalon can do anything and everything the best of Custom's can do, minus one thing they have no emotional connection. Plain and simple it is a replaceable tool that works very well.

I am a fan of a working knife that can be used and used hard. I am a fan of makers that are at the front of the pack testing and developing new steels. Nothing against those that sit on D2, S30V, 154. They are great steels when worked properly.

I’m not hiding the type of steel from anyone... I actually posted it in a previous post with the other specs of the knife and deleted the steel type once I seen you post here... I knew once you were here your arrogant nature would overcome you and you would, as usual, post as if you were the all knowing guru of everything outdoors... it didn’t take long or much to get you there...

The keyboard commando jab was cute but in reality isn’t that what we all are or did you happen to use your Ninja telekinesis to type as you stuck out your ribs to awe us all with your self proclaimed knowledge of all and everything knives... Although heart warming and touching to some I am not impressed in the least... Actually I found it amusing that someone with such great knowledge would be asking questions verses giving answers, then I considered the source and it made perfect sense...

If nothing Ingram interests you, then why are you here in an Ingram thread stomping your feet and holding your breath... If you don’t give a fük what kind of steel it is then why guess out of your ass 4 times at the type... Makes perfect sense...

I told you what it was not... Since nothing can touch Rex 121 and you were informed it was not that steel you simply could have moved on... Rex holds an edge better than any other steel out there... It’s shït for toughness and hard use... it’s lack of corrosion resistance can easily be overcome so that part of it is a non issue...that is a given... but in all your infinite wisdom you knew all this right...

It is a nice knife and thus far the steel is performing great and up to MY expectations... although I haven’t run it head to head with the Havalon yet...

Originally Posted by fredIII

That would require screenshots of materials, stones, lubricants, etc that would be used in said sharpening including charts of speed, sharpening angle and any other pertinent information that you have no fükin clue about thrown in for good measure... maybe hit up the fan club to throw in a “yeah” here and there and get a previous customer to tell what a great job you do...

PM your addy and I’ll add it in my roll-a-dex right between get lost and go fük yourself... 😂😂
I’m off to bed ladies... I have a 3 AM wake up and I still need to get my nails did... you can all go fük yourselves...

That would require screenshots of materials, stones, lubricants, etc that would be used in said sharpening including charts of speed, sharpening angle and any other pertinent information that you have no fükin clue about thrown in for good measure... maybe hit up the fan club to throw in a “yeah” here and there and get a previous customer to tell what a great job you do...

PM your addy and I’ll add it in my roll-a-dex right between get lost and go fük yourself... 😂😂

Crying laughing at you.

I’m gonna let you win because you can’t be convinced anyone might know something you don’t.

PS come in person and I’ll shave your pussy for ya.
A dear friend loaded this in my holster.

[Linked Image]

Good night princess. TBC

What’s to like? From reading - Primarily a slicing only steel. Chips, fractures easily if used away from slicing...Definitely not a gen-purpose blade...

I don't need a hunting knife to pry or chop. I need it to slice, I am really liking thin, sharp, hard blades. Specially delicate work on fur. Caping eyes, nose, lips thin for the win! Surgoens don't use 1/8" stock to cut you open. Hard use is one thing, abuse is another. I carry a hunting knife and a general purpose knife. If I need to hack something I use the right tool for the job and the general purpose knife, saw, or hatchet come out.

Rex 121 and 15V are great choices in steel for Thin, Sharp, and hard.

Crying laughing at you.

I’m gonna let you win because you can’t be convinced anyone might know something you don’t.

Unfortunately for you Fred that’s your only move... I don’t need any convincing... I only post of what I have first hand experience with... you should try it sometime...
I have a feeling that EHG has never had to send off a knife to have someone else 'get it sharp' for him.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I have a feeling that EHG has never had to send off a knife to have someone else 'get it sharp' for him.....

Donny u Screw anyone out of gear lately?

Crying laughing at you.

Unfortunately for you Fred that’s your only move... I don’t need any convincing... I only post of what I have first hand experience with... you should try it sometime...

When my knife gets dull I just buy a new one. 😂.
I’ll even put a hot towel on that Koouchy so ya don’t get razor rash my olive skinned queen.
PS just got a new qvc knife collection so you in for a treat.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pals 🤜🏻

Nothing comes close to a wicked edge.
💄🍆💋
Posted By: irfubar Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
This is a great thread.... you guys are so behind... 1095 is where it's at these days.... smile

I like EHG's style.... hahaha
Originally Posted by irfubar
This is a great thread.... you guys are so behind... 1095 is where it's at these days.... smile

I like EHG's style.... hahaha

He’s a good sport. 😁
Posted By: jeffbird Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
Wow, this went off the rails sounding like little kids quibbling over who got a new toy and who didn’t.

First, EHG is very squared away and is good to go as is Gene Ingram. Y’all are needlessly getting all wrapped around the axle. Actually, EHG is more than good to go, he is a good man, good as they come. He’s shot more elk in a year than most will in a lifetime, as well as shooting more than elk, which is clear to those that understand. ‘nuff said.

Just a guess that there is a hint to the i.d. of the steel in the very first post for those that would give it a think.

I have come to the point that design is the most important factor both blade geometry and profile as well as comfort in hand, followed by heat treat, followed by steel type.

There was a good thread on bladeforums recently in which someone actually tested a bunch of high end steels in knives from Spyderco, Lion, Benchmade, and others. Despite all the marketing hype, turned out virtually none of the supersteels being sold were
close to optimal heat treat and some high dollar blades just completely were ripping people off.

Arguing over steel only is like arguing about cartridges while ignoring barrels, bullets, brass, scope, and shot placement.

I have way too many knives in some nice steels, S110V, 10V, 3V, M390, and more from top notch makers.

Which knife actually is used the most for cleaning and skinning deer and pigs? An Ingram Bullnose in D2 and a Wilson followed by a big Busse in Infi to lop off ribs and heads. There have been more than a few times of cleaning 5 - 8 or more in a row and went over 30 one weekend.

Differences in knives become very apparent, especially skinning the pigs typically caked in mud.

Gene Ingram and Phil Wilson make excellent quality knives and are my two favorites for hunting knives. There are other good makers. There also are some big names turning out knives that are not very useful at all due to poor designs and make me wonder if they actually ever use their own work in the field.

Posted By: geedubya Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
[quote=irfubar]This is a great thread.... you guys are so behind... 1095 is where it's at these days.... smile

[Linked Image]

Marcin Bona (Poland)

1095 IIRC

ya!

GWB
Posted By: irfubar Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
geedubya you never disappoint.......
Posted By: geedubya Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/26/19
A few fav's from Gene

[Linked Image]

Kingfisher in A2, Desert Ironwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nessmuk set, Etched A2 & Desert Ironwood

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

Fred, what is that? A bloody-vanilla mcswirly sharpfinger?
Posted By: fredIII Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/27/19

[Linked Image]

Fred, what is that? A bloody-vanilla mcswirly sharpfinger?

Just had it made by a friend for my wife.

It’s a Damascus blade i have the build sheet on the knife bench. I will look but I think you are close.
Don can’t find the build sheet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[url=https://postimg.cc/KRGk2HNJ][Linked Image]

It turned out pretty good
it don't look like regular ol' damascus. Is it maybe super-duper rex121-amascus?
If I find the build sheet I will post it. It takes an edge very well and polished to a mirror finish on the wicked edge.

[Linked Image]

it don't look like regular ol' damascus. Is it maybe super-duper rex121-amascus?

LOL It’s high carbon (“; so it’s awesome.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/27/19
Freddy,
It should work great for taking the dresses off these critters just fine...😂😎

[Linked Image]
😂😂🤣🤣😂😂. Rodeo squirrel?
Giddy-Up Uncle Don....😜😎
Posted By: irfubar Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/27/19
Hey Beav, is that a condom hangin out of that squirrel?
Posted By: Judman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/27/19
You guys gonna horn ol Don up!!!

Yes...The car hit Fred so hard it knock him right out of his condom...To bad about his girlfriend as well...Tragic! 😢😎
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/27/19
EHG, I like that a lot. When it comes to details such as blade steel, I’m quite the novice, but for useable size, shape, and geometry I know what works - and that one would work for me. <grin>. Thanks for sharing, I think we all strive for better and more usable.

GW, one of these days I’m going to take a month off and come to TX so you can regale me of knives, steel, and greatstories. Same for you Manllicher!

Fred, I thought I had you talked into behaving yourself?

I’m always amazed at these threads that go off the rails, what a fooking hoot! I think about half of the members who talk sheet here couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag. But that’s ok. Good entertainment.

Rock on commandos!

Yes...The car hit Fred so hard it knock him right out of his condom...To bad about his girlfriend as well...Tragic! 😢😎

Condolences to Fred...... very sad.... she was squirrely though he is prolly better off with out her... smile
Originally Posted by Akbob5
EHG, I like that a lot. When it comes to details such as blade steel, I’m quite the novice, but for useable size, shape, and geometry I know what works - and that one would work for me. <grin>. Thanks for sharing, I think we all strive for better and more usable.

GW, one of these days I’m going to take a month off and come to TX so you can regale me of knives, steel, and greatstories. Same for you Manllicher!

I’m always amazed at these threads that go off the rails, what a fooking hoot! I think about half of the members who talk sheet here couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag. But that’s ok. Good entertainment.

Rock on commandos!

GFY
I am on Google and tracking your azz down... hell's a comin......
Posted By: Judman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/27/19
🤣🤣
A guy gets caught screwing one squirrel! Jesus.

PS a wet bag was my prison for years.

Condolences to Fred...... very sad.... she was squirrely though he is prolly better off with out her... smile

She was nuts

Rock on commandos!

GFY

As soon as I figure out how to get out of this fûck’n wet paper sack I’m coming with you to show Bob what’s up...🐔😎

Rock on commandos!

GFY

As soon as I figure out how to get out of this fûck’n wet paper sack I’m coming with you to show Bob what’s up...🐔😎

Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses...... smile
Posted By: fredIII Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/28/19
It’s the square dance cowboy style.

https://www.facebook.com/647854697/posts/10158751032029698?s=1049071789&sfns=mo

This fûcker eats squirrel condom and all.
Posted By: mathman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/28/19

Other than putting ice cubes in ten year old sippin' grade whiskey. grin
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by mathman

The man has many beautiful things but “Neat” ain’t one.
🥴😎

I have floated a cube once...🤫
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/28/19
Terrible, terrible, terrible I tell you!

P.S. for those comin for me, please bring a sharp knife! I’m your huckleberry!

P.P.S. Let me know if I need to send my address you Google-meisters.

P.P.P.S. I’ll pick EHG every time for my dodgeball team.
Gene is definitely one of the best in the business IMO. And a super nice fellow too!!!
Posted By: irfubar Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/28/19

I am contracting the googlefu to Conseula & Fireballz..... no way to hide.....

Oh and ya I got a knife a real knife..... 440C bitches......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/28/19

Dude, EHG only looks good in a long red dress cuz it sets off his hair color...Plus, he throws a ball like a chick with palsy.

Fine, you can have him on your team.

PS

When he cries after he gets hit with the ball....That’s on you Bob!

PSS

I would hunt with him...If he promises to leave his thongs at home. Just saying. 😎
Posted By: geedubya Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/29/19
Originally Posted by mathman

The man has many beautiful things but “Neat” ain’t one.
🥴😎

I have floated a cube once...🤫

I've not been often accused of being a slave to fashion!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hurricane Supplies

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a nourishing hill country breakfast!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWb
Posted By: Judman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/29/19
GW, your a fuuckin savage!!!
Nice to see that musk ox handled knife getting some piggy gunk on it.
Posted By: fredIII Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/29/19

PPPPS
You are the only one that is talking fight bob. If I ever meet ya! I will most likely ask you to get this wet sack off my middle back as I cannot reach it and it’s bugging me so.

PPPPPS
Dodge ball is a special Olympic sport? I would have never guessed.
Posted By: fredIII Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/29/19
Originally Posted by Judman
GW, your a fuuckin savage!!!

You got that right. GW for governor!!!!!
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

yup,

It a goody!

Tim Olt "Hunter", Musk Ox scales, 154CM steel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

buffalo horn skinner of 52100, forged and differential heat treat.

[Linked Image]

and my first Olt........

[Linked Image]

Elk antler and 154 CM if I recall correctly.

Can't really see it from the photo but the curve of the antler makes for a gentle palm swell. Really like that.

And here is the latest from the batch of knives Tim recently made. 5" skinner, buffalo horn scales, along with a dedicated up close and personal Porker perforator in 300 AAC Blackout.

[Linked Image]

have not availed myself of the opportunity to bloody it yet, but soon..........

ya!

GWB
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 06/29/19

[Linked Image]

lol....this is way to good. I hadn't thought about Strawberry Hill since high school.
My turn is up with Gene as we speak.

*spoiler alert*

It’s a2.
Those pins are awesome.

I am contracting the googlefu to Conseula & Fireballz..... no way to hide.....

Oh and ya I got a knife a real knife..... 440C bitches......

[Linked Image]

As Crocodile Dundee would say, "Now, This is a knife".

LMAO.
Originally Posted by geedubya

yup,

It a goody!

Tim Olt "Hunter", Musk Ox scales, 154CM steel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and my first Olt........

[Linked Image]

Elk antler and 154 CM if I recall correctly.

Can't really see it from the photo but the curve of the antler makes for a gentle palm swell. Really like that.

And here is the latest from the batch of knives Tim recently made. 5" skinner, buffalo horn scales, along with a dedicated up close and personal Porker perforator in 300 AAC Blackout.

[Linked Image]

have not availed myself of the opportunity to bloody it yet, but soon..........

ya!

GWB

Tim Olt's knives are hard core!
Posted By: fredIII Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/04/19
SO WHAT STEEL DID YOU GO WITH? 🤭😬🤣
Posted By: Judman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/04/19
Who's Tim olt?
Originally Posted by Judman
Who's Tim olt?

Tim Olt= MRK or Michigan Road Kill
Posted By: Judman Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/04/19
Got it, thanks
Posted By: Big Stick Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/05/19
Never heard of him..............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

Of all the toys that you present on these here fora this is the one item that I covet...if you ever put it down and you cannot find it...it wasn't me!
Not sure why I let GW talk me out of that one.
I have only forged two knives and that was one of them.
As I remember, he was going to field test it for me, but he never lets anything go,....... but he is putting it to work.
His inventory must be a record of some sorts.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/05/19
Not sure why I let GW talk me out of that one.
I have only forged two knives and that was one of them.
As I remember, he was going to field test it for me, but he never lets anything go,....... but he is putting it to work.
His inventory must be a record of some sorts.

Should you ever get a mad urge to do another...nickle silver, soldered, and pinned, please keep me in mind.
JS
Does it have to be forged????

How about CPM M4 at 63 Rc?????
Posted By: Big Stick Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/06/19
Gene cracks me the fhuqk up and is a National Treasure!

[Linked Image]

I LOVE him muchly.

Hint...................
Posted By: JSTUART Re: That Damn Gene Ingram... - 07/06/19
JS
Does it have to be forged????

How about CPM M4 at 63 Rc?????

Only interested in forged carbon should you make one.
I will keep it in mind.
© 24hourcampfire