Home
Posted By: Godogs57 Another Damascus of mine - 08/09/19
Have not posted any work lately as I've been busy with orders, hurricane damage, grandkids, hurricane damage and more hurricane damage. Here is a sweet blade that showed a good bit of contrast I thought. Brushed satin nickel silver guard and buttcap with turquoise, nickel silver and copper spacers with an Amber Stag handle from an elk shed I found while hunting NM. I also did the sheath work here. Razor sharp as always. This one is headed out of the country to the far east. Hope you enjoy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MOGC Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/09/19
Thats beautiful work. I have no experience using the stuff, how does it hold up in comparison to a modern cutlery steel like S30V in actual use?
Posted By: TimZ Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/09/19
Beautiful knife!
Looking Sharp!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/09/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Thats beautiful work. I have no experience using the stuff, how does it hold up in comparison to a modern cutlery steel like S30V in actual use?

Two different knives. The S30V would more than likely hold an edge better. You are getting down to the “carbon vs stainless” argument there. In the most general terms here is the take. Naturally there will be exceptions, but generally the feelings about carbon and stainless are as follows: Carbon will get sharp, many times it will be subjectively sharper than stainless . However, because it’s carbon, most of the times it won’t hold an edge as long as a stainless. However...carbon is much easier to re-sharpen...much easier than stainless in the field. After all things are considered it boils down to what a person wants out of a knife. I make both carbon and stainless blades and am split about 50/50 now on my orders. I don’t like to have a “carbon” guy and a “stainless” guy in my shop at the same time because both usually feel strongly about their knives and they start throwing hammers and stuff at each other.

S30V has had its problems in the last few years, leading to the introduction of S35V....I prefer CPM154 stainless over either of those. Sharpens well and holds an edge forever.
Posted By: Judman Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/09/19
Throwing hammers!! 🤣🤣
Posted By: MOGC Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/09/19
Originally Posted by Judman
Throwing hammers!! 🤣🤣

LOL... I would hate to see those guys argue redhead vs. brunette!
Originally Posted by Godogs57

S30V has had its problems in the last few years, leading to the introduction of S35V....I prefer CPM154 stainless over either of those. Sharpens well and holds an edge forever.

What would you say is problems with S30V? S35VN pretty much mirrors it. Yes it has a few very very small advantages to a degree.

I like CPM154, not to be confused with it's mirror 154CM, they are all for the most part the same as VG-10 and ATS-34. Yes the process is different and it does yield a few benefits.

Bottom line is Proper Heat Treat and Edge Geometry will trump all others not so properly done. I wouldn't say no to a finely made knife in any of the materials you listed including carbon.
Throwing hammers!! 🤣🤣

EVERYONE KNOWS BRUNETTE'S RULE THE ROOST! smile smile smile smile smile
Posted By: MOGC Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Throwing hammers!! 🤣🤣

That's why I married a blonde. smile
Throwing hammers!! 🤣🤣

That's why I married a blonde. smile

I will pray for you my friend! smile smile smile
Posted By: SLM Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
I wish I had your talent.

Very nice.

Headed to the Cimmaron this weekend, antler growth was looking really good last time we were there.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by SLM

Very nice.

Headed to the Cimmaron this weekend, antler growth was looking really good last time we were there.

Two weeks behind ya. Cimarron still all burned up from the fire or has new growth kicked in?
Posted By: Judman Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
Antelope or elk hank?

What would you say is problems with S30V? S35VN pretty much mirrors it. Yes it has a few very very small advantages to a degree.

I like CPM154, not to be confused with it's mirror 154CM, they are all for the most part the same as VG-10 and ATS-34. Yes the process is different and it does yield a few benefits.

Bottom line is Proper Heat Treat and Edge Geometry will trump all others not so properly done. I wouldn't say no to a finely made knife in any of the materials you listed including carbon.

Agree with every point you made.

S30V was accused of “micro-chipping” on the cutting edges of finished knives a while back. Whether it’s fake news or not, I have no idea, as I don’t use that steel. You can Google S30V problems and it comes up. S35V was brought out to correct the issues I’m told. Man, you mention it in discussion and the battle lines get drawn in a hurry! No middle ground there.

CPM154, 154CM, ATS34 are all the same recipe, just different manufacturing methods. ATS34 obviously made in Japan, with the others made here. I very much prefer CPM154 because numerous times I’ve had inclusions in the ATS34 finished product. “Dirty” steel. Plus, the CPM process will more evenly distribute carbides throughout the blade. Without writing an epistle on the process, the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process results in a much better blade.
Antelope or elk hank?

Antelope in two weeks, turn right back around and elk hunt October 1-5. Can’t wait. Bringing our 4 year old grandson with us on the elk hunt. He’s been deer hunting with me since he was two. He’s about to bust right now in anticipation.
Posted By: Judman Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
Copy he's a little dandy, that'll be fun gristle...
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
Looking Sharp!

I see what you did there...
Posted By: SLM Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/10/19
Ute Park/Philmont is still having some flooding problems with heavy rains but getting better.

Originally Posted by SLM

Very nice.

Two weeks behind ya. Cimarron still all burned up from the fire or has new growth kicked in?
Yep. Heard from my buddies out there that it’s been a wet one.

Agree with every point you made.

S30V was accused of “micro-chipping” on the cutting edges of finished knives a while back. Whether it’s fake news or not, I have no idea, as I don’t use that steel. You can Google S30V problems and it comes up. S35V was brought out to correct the issues I’m told. Man, you mention it in discussion and the battle lines get drawn in a hurry! No middle ground there.

CPM154, 154CM, ATS34 are all the same recipe, just different manufacturing methods. ATS34 obviously made in Japan, with the others made here. I very much prefer CPM154 because numerous times I’ve had inclusions in the ATS34 finished product. “Dirty” steel. Plus, the CPM process will more evenly distribute carbides throughout the blade. Without writing an epistle on the process, the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process results in a much better blade.

Haha.... that dam fake news! I personally have never chipped S30V. I have chipped S90V and 125V both of which I like a lot. It happens when we get careless and tired.

I also prefer CPM154 over VG10, ATS34, and 154CM.

Have you played with Vanax Super Clean?
That is definitely a WOW, Hank!
Hank says

Damasteel's RWL 34 is about the same, I like it a lot.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Another Damascus of mine - 08/13/19
Good stuff.
© 24hourcampfire