Home
What angle do you guys sharpen your Gene Ingram knives to? Do you sharpen your other custom handmade knives to the same angle? Thanks!
Gene usually uses 17* on a Lanskey...
Thank you Cinch! That figures, I just bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker Tri-angle and my choices are 15* and 20* !!!! What to do?
I send Gene a box full to tune up every year after hunting season... I've tried but only make them worse...
Originally Posted by Cinch
I send Gene a box full to tune up every year after hunting season... I've tried but only make them worse...

Impressive.
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

Impressive.

What’s impressive is a guy doing a bunch of fur slaying...And watching you tugging hard, so Rick’s j-i-z-z is on your face instead of agreeing to the terms he established for you Scott.
😎
That Cinch is a man and bold enough to admit lack
of a Manly Man skill.

Girlyhunter, isn't.
Truly bold.
Or,
A real Manly Man.

Just a macho blow hard trying to impress.

That's ok.

They will drop one day.
And he will have a chance.

Unless a woman puts them in her purse.

To keep them safe.
It's all good... I can't sharpen a knife on a stone... why would anyone care...
Me neither cinch... Guess I'm a brokedick no killin sumbitch !!!😂😂
Buuuuut, the secret is, don’t let em get dull, and use this....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Btw, I sharpen my gb hatchets/axes with it too..
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Impressive.

What’s impressive is a guy doing a bunch of fur slaying...And watching you tugging hard so Rick’s j-i-z-z is on your face instead of agreeing to the terms he established for you Scott.
😎

Figured you go straight to the [bleep] talk. You west coast gals love some [bleep] talk.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
of a Manly Man skill.

Girlyhunter, isn't.
Truly bold.
Or,
A real Manly Man.

That's ok.

They will drop one day.

To keep them safe.

Agreed, knowing how to do simple tasks isn't something we should expect of men today. Why do it when someone else can. Viva the snowflake.
Easy with the "West coast" now, I think I'm pretty ol school, don't put up with much shiit, in the flesh or on www, but I'm pretty ok school... Grin
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
of a Manly Man skill.

Girlyhunter, isn't.
Truly bold.
Or,
A real Manly Man.

That's ok.

They will drop one day.

To keep them safe.

Agreed, knowing how to do simple tasks isn't something we should expect of men today. Why do it when someone else can. Viva the snowflake.

I must not have been clear.
Smoking gun

I touch up my Ingrams with a spyderco sharpmaker on the 20 degree setting and have no issue whatsoever. Just dont let them get dull as hell to start with.

When mine quit shaving hair I put them on the fine stones.
Originally Posted by Dude270
Smoking gun

I touch up my Ingrams with a spyderco sharpmaker on the 20 degree setting and have no issue whatsoever. Just dont let them get dull as hell to start with.

When mine quit shaving hair I put them on the fine stones.

Yep
Originally Posted by smokinggun
What angle do you guys sharpen your Gene Ingram knives to? Do you sharpen your other custom handmade knives to the same angle? Thanks!

Depends on the steel, grind and profile...
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by smokinggun

Depends on the steel, grind and profile...

Pretty Much!

I’m kind of surprised that he uses a Lansky. I guess he’s got it figured out. His knives definitely show up ready for work. I use the sharpmaker for touch-ups also. Life is much easier if you can stick to touch ups and not let them get dull.
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I used the Sharpmaker on the 20* (40) setting and held each knife at the angle where it felt right. I was able to sharpen several dull knifes of different types and makers. I don’t think I’ll be missing my Lansky.
I used to think was pretty good with a sharpening stone, shave the hair on the arm good. Then I got a Lansky, now I've got to be more careful with them skinning or butchering to keep from adding my blood to the mess.
Don't claim to be the "best in the west when there wasn't no west", when it comes to sharpening,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

but after use a knife, clean it up and dry it off, I simply give it the appropriate strokes on the Lansky set at 20 degrees.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

works for me!

ya!

GWB
Wouldn’t a strop be a better way after light use over stone?
Lots of other things I would rather be doing than sharpening an Ingram. I can sharpen most knives extremely well. I struggle with the s30v
The Landky box like that makes it simple to keep them sharp. All I use unless some random knife needs a angle set.
I have pretty good luck with s30v. Bought the coarse diamond hone for the Lansky, made quite a difference.
Send it back to Gene. He’s one of the nicest fellows I’ve were dealt with.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Send it back to Gene. He’s one of the nicest fellows I’ve were dealt with.

Yep ,if you have a problem ,this . Good guy ! It'll be sharp !
Sent him one a few years ago, that had cleaned 50+ deer, 2 elk and a moose. Came back razor sharp. If I knew how, I would post a picture of what one looks like after that kind of life. New, they are works of art. But, they are tools and made to be used. This one has been used and abused and still ready for more.
I am going to send a few back too. Want to see if I pay him if he will make a few plastic sheaths for mine so I might actually take them hunting. The leather is too bulky and not fun in the rain. (I had one fill with mold)
He has made some kydex for some of my older ones.
Gene makes a nice kydex sheath and doesn't charge much
Calvin, Gene's made kydex for me on a couple, I did send him the knives though.
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

I’m kind of surprised that he uses a Lansky. I guess he’s got it figured out. His knives definitely show up ready for work. I use the sharpmaker for touch-ups also. Life is much easier if you can stick to touch ups and not let them get dull.

Gene does use a Lansky...but as he and I have discussed, of 37 knives none of them have approached 17*...
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

Gene does use a Lansky...but as he and I have discussed, of 37 knives none of them have approached 17*...

What angle would you say those knives are?
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Sent him one a few years ago, that had cleaned 50+ deer, 2 elk and a moose. Came back razor sharp. If I knew how, I would post a picture of what one looks like after that kind of life. New, they are works of art. But, they are tools and made to be used. This one has been used and abused and still ready for more.

I wish, we could see that.
Ready, PM your cell number and I can send some pics. It is at deer camp but I should be up there within the next week or so.

Ray
Sorry, on the road...

Roughly 20-21*
Thanks Journeyman.
So is 20-21 degrees about the optimal cutting edge bevel for most hunting/field knives????
Originally Posted by Ready
Originally Posted by travelingman1

I wish, we could see that.

Here are a couple of pics of Ray's (travevingman1) Ingram knife, not sure what year but definitely has a more vintage look to it.

Thank you Ray for sharing these pics of your used and abused Ingram with us! It's obvious that it has served you well.

Very cool:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire