Home
Posted By: Soup Knife Steel - 01/08/20
Folks,

I’m neither a knife maker nor a collector. However I certainly do admire the skills involved in making a custom knife .

After reading about the different knife making steels I’m wondering about a knife made for me by the grandson of a maker by the name of Ramon from New Jersey. I think his last name was Pressburger ?
At any rate the knife is stamped “ BG42 “ .
I paid a little extra for this steel. Can anyone shed some light as to the quality of the steel and the pros and cons of it ?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Semper Fi

Soup
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Knife Steel - 01/08/20
It’s a “good” steel but is no longer made. It has a reputation for being difficult to sharpen at times, but when it’s sharp.....it sharp. That is primarily due to the composition of the steel bringing about higher wear resistance.

I’ve had one knife from bg42 and it was just fine....enjoy your blade!
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Knife Steel - 01/08/20
BG42 was a very good steel. As Godogs57 has said having a high wear resistance. It is also very corrosion resistance as well. It has a low amount of Vanadium which are very very hard carbides. I wouldn't pass up a properly made knife in BG42.

Carpenter makes a powder version CTS-B75P

Edit: Semper Fi
Posted By: MOGC Re: Knife Steel - 01/08/20
I've owned several BG42 blades and they have been excellent. At one time it was a "super steel" and a first choice of many custom makers.
Posted By: Soup Re: Knife Steel - 01/08/20
Gentlemen ,

Thank you for your prompt reply's . Also the sheath has a very thin slice of magnet between the leather layers and the knife doesn't fall out even upside down .
thank you once again.

Soup
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Knife Steel - 01/15/20
Same answer as last time: Link
© 24hourcampfire