Home
Posted By: blgoode Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/27/20
I call this pattern the MUT or Minimal Utility. It’s a 3 finger grip pattern designed to be a minimal overall size yet be a good utility knife and grip well.

I always enjoy these then they are finished. They grip so secure it’s surprisingly comfortable and you don’t think “it’s a small handle”.

this is 0-1 steel and micarta handle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/27/20
Nice knife but I'd change the name. It sounds like you're saying that it's of "minimal utility", which is the exact opposite of what it is. smile
Posted By: blgoode Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/27/20
You know you may be right about that. I’ll have to let that marinate.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/27/20
just chitcan the 'mal' on the ass end of the first word.....
Good idea!
Posted By: j_elky Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/27/20
Don - you need one of those!! Would look good setup as a necker in some kydex.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/27/20
Nah, I have no use for a blade in a knife that size, that is wider than the handle. I use a knife to cut stuff with, not as a prybar, or beating it thru firewood, so 'I' prefer it to be nimble. For sure not knocking blgoode's stuff, as it appears very well executed, but personally, it just don't 'do it' for me. One that is more like Ryan Arrington's 3-Finger, is exactly in line, with what trips MY trigger.... I don't even have a full-size custom that has a blade wider than 3/4.

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Another beef I have with knifemakers is, calling a knife a 'bird and trout' when in all actuality, they are better suited to deer/elk size game rather than for breasting chukar/pheasant or gutting the average size brookie or rainbow......
That’s about the size knife I prefer myself. I carry a just under 6” overall knife the most. One about 7.25” overall I carry the second most. Both clean deer and game perfect.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Nah, I have no use for a blade in a knife that size, that is wider than the handle. I use a knife to cut stuff with, not as a prybar, or beating it thru firewood, so 'I' prefer it to be nimble. For sure not knocking blgoode's stuff, as it appears very well executed, but personally, it just don't 'do it' for me. One that is more like Ryan Arrington's 3-Finger, is exactly in line, with what trips MY trigger.... I don't even have a full-size custom that has a blade wider than 3/4.

Another beef I have with knifemakers is, calling a knife a 'bird and trout' when in all actuality, they are better suited to deer/elk size game rather than for breasting chukar/pheasant or gutting the average size brookie or rainbow......

That will work all day everyday!
I use this style knife myself a lot. I call it my SNIPE pattern.

Basically a scalpel type knife. Comes in handy.

Originally Posted by blgoode

Great Profile for sure.
Posted By: blgoode Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 02/28/20
This design was a happenstance of circumstances that made it fall into place. Designed itself in time.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

That’s a slitter! Perfect for zipping up the legs of critters!
Another one that’s gets me besides bird and trout are 3” “caping” knives! Too long and most have too much belly for fine work around eyes and preorbital glands.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 03/03/20

Do you keep any knives like this in stock ?
Price ?
Posted By: blgoode Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 03/03/20
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Do you keep any knives like this in stock ?
Price ?

I don’t. But I’m making a couple for blade show that is in June. I take orders online for what I have at the show that weekend. I’ll send you a PM
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 03/03/20
I got to take a really close look at Brian's knives at the Blade Show last year. Very good workmanship on comfortable, functional designs was the norm. I hope to stop by your table again this year at the Blade Show.
Posted By: blgoode Re: Minimal Utility Pattern - 03/03/20
Stop by and say hello for sure. Looking forward to being there again this year.
© 24hourcampfire