Home
[Linked Image]

I got the blade here:
ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Knife-Making-Supplies-Blank-Blades-Medium-Stainless-Steel-8-OL/202404104535

440 stainless steel knife making blanks hardened to 55-57 RC. 8" overall, 3.75" blade and 1/8" thick at the spine. Needs edge sharpened and handles made. These are great practice blades to work with and easy to drill out for handles
I don't want any more "practice" drilling through 55-57 RC stainless..... thank you.

[Linked Image]
So when the pins I core drilled out of a piece of Black Locust were too large by 0.015" in the diameter, I pounded them through the handles to size the pins down. I did not want to try my drills on those holes after I tried a file on the butt of the handle and it would not cut the 440.

[Linked Image]
I glued up the handle skins and pins with 5 minute epoxy and started milling and filing the handles smooth.
I would have liked the grain in the pins parallel with the grain in skins for matched wood movement, but with the epoxy on the pins I could not see anything.

[Linked Image]
When the handle felt OK, I decided not to sand and finish with True Oil, but to leave the rough file finish for gripping.

[Linked Image]
I was inspired by the rough surface of COVID-19 virus under and electron microscope.
Thatโ€™s some โ€œSicโ€ inspiration....๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜Ž
That rough knife handle really bombed.
It is my Edsel.
The wife wants me to go back to making bolt action rifle bolt handles with decorative coins.

[Linked Image]

But she wants them for handles in the grandkid's chest of drawers.
Everything I have ever made for those grandkids, so far, has been taken away, because they hit each other over the head with it.
© 24hourcampfire