Home
Is there a decently priced tool that is of the combination variety that would run on 110 electric? Just kicking around the idea at this point on trying my hand at knife making. I have a small bench mounted drill press and I have angle grinders and a bench grinder and vises with other various hand tools .... seems a belt and disc sander would be about the most important thing to obtain if I wanted to dabble in it some.
Don’t want to spend a bunch of $$$ until I know it’s for me. Any advice? I’m sure there’s more tools necessary than what I may be thinking but I’m just thinking bare minimum at this point to try my hand at a few before I’d consider going all in.
I use a cheap Wen 4x36. For another $65 I'd probably go with a direct drive model like the one made by Bucktools. They're a cheap way to start out and I'll always have some use for one, even if it's not making blades. I did attach a 4x4 piece of steel to the face of it so I could make my plunge lines on the knife.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I've made plenty of knives using just a 6 x 48 belt sander, never found the need for the disc.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've made plenty of knives using just a 6 x 48 belt sander, never found the need for the disc.

I just figured if I purchase something that a combo unit might be nice. I’m sure there’s lots of ways to skin this cat.
I got the Bucktool because of the extra hp of the motor. it has been a good unit so far.
I see your mind is already made up.
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Post some pics up.
Made these two years ago with a B&D 3 x 18 belt sander. D2 no less. Killed the sander tho and lots of belts. Yeah the sheath is made from a Redwing boot.

Attached picture B8C198BA-DF7D-4D99-A6C7-A1A0731767A1.jpeg
A 1x30 from Harbor Freight ain't bad, and belts are everywhere. I started on a 1x42 and still use it for handles and whatnot after upgrading to a 2x72.
I have a Porter Cable 6x48. It's ok, definately need more to get a nice plunge line or to be able to grind the whole blade after installing the handle.

The disk is not much use. But I like having it. It's great for getting the
slabs really nice and flat.
© 24hourcampfire