Home
The deer are rutting big time the first week in November in the parts of Texas I hunt.
The Rut here is sporadic, it will start around the second week in November and run through mid December with several peaks and lulls in activity over the period. The Peaks in activity will vary from year to year.....Hb
My local deer generally rut somewhere in the latter half of November. The deer in the agricultural areas 90min away will often rut about a month later.
It varies a bit year to year. Seems like there is definitely a season which primes them but it takes the onset of cold wet weather to push them over the edge.

This spring's fawns have been drawn out over several months. The first, a pair of twin bucks, appeared in later May. Usually that's the start of the flood, but we never saw any other than those two for 3-4 weeks, then suddenly a whole bunch showed up, smaller. In the past week and a half, we've seen a smaller, but substantial influx of very tiny new fawns again. Call it 3 waves, 5% of total, 70% of total, and 25% of total. I assume that means the does came into heat in 3 waves, not just 1.

Of the first pair, one died. When it was about a month old, one day it was unable to get up off the ground. It'd been staggering, falling, getting up earlier in the day. It would lurch from the ground, throw it's head forward as if trying to get up, and its tail worked like mad sometimes, but the legs stopped functioning, both front and rear, completely.

The smaller is still around. It's the oldest fawn here by far and its spots are "softer", starting to fade. The biggest bunch are getting real frisky running around like crazy, still have sharply defined spots. The new ones are still gangly/spindly/awkward, but gaining fast.

So I went off on a tangent. Sorry .. ish? smile

Anyway, last fall's seemed to last a long time. We had a cold rain event at the start of October which seemed to start a little rut activity, then it reversed / stopped, but a bunch of new bucks we'd never seen had appeared and stayed the rest of the fall. I have pictures of them sparring clear through November and into December with rut activity off and on much of the time, no concentration, but also no let-up.

Previous years when I was living elsewhere, we didn't always have an identifiable rut. Any time late October and on, if we got cold rain some afternoon, there'd be bucks chasing does right through traffic in town, but the next day when the rain was gone, there were no deer to be seen at all. Weirdest hunting year I ever had.

Usually I figure if I hunt the last week of October I'll see some pre-rut activity, but not always. It's usually going about Nov 10-12, and usually it goes through almost Thanksgiving, but by the first weekend in Dec, the big bucks are post-rut and damned hard to find again.

Tom
In SE Alabama, the deer rut late January to early February.
First week of January
Western wa blacktail, last few days of oct, first couple weeks November
Mule deer SE Oregon - First 3 weeks of Nov and by rut I mean doing the nasty.
In part of Texas I hunt (SW Edge of the Hill Country) the rut is anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Been hunting this ranch for over 20 years and can never define a peak rut. It is more of a trickle rut with the most activity during the first 3 weeks of December. Makes it difficult to schedule my vacation because it is always you should have been there yesterday or the bucks are chasing does everywhere the day you have to leave. My favorite time of the year for sure!
Originally Posted by Mohawk
In part of Texas I hunt (SW Edge of the Hill Country) the rut is anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Been hunting this ranch for over 20 years and can never define a peak rut. It is more of a trickle rut with the most activity during the first 3 weeks of December. Makes it difficult to schedule my vacation because it is always you should have been there yesterday or the bucks are chasing does everywhere the day you have to leave. My favorite time of the year for sure!

I hunt in Burnet, I guess that’s about the eastern edge of hill country.
TX Panhandle whitetails mid-November thru Thanksgiving. Mule deer near where I live start around December 10th and run basically a month.
What part of Texas you in? I'm right in the middle of the Gulf Coast. Up until 2018 I hunted about 17 miles up the road toward Palacios about 2 miles north of Karankaway Bay Store across Karankaway Bay. Around there the rut starts in late October and runs into the first or second week of deer season. Sometimes it starts back up for a week in the middle of November. The rut here is sporadic, I think because the ambient temperature varies so much here that time of the year.
Mid Nov.
Mid to late November
Kentucky has a rifle season that starts the second Saturday in November. The earliest it can start, therefore, is 11/8. This year it's 11/14. If you look at our camp's log, 11/9 is the day the most bucks have been taken.

Beyond that, things get murky. My favorite quote comes from Jake at the general store in Lennoxburg. Jake's opinion was that the peak of the rut was 1000 on the Rifle Opener, because "bucks don't rut when they're hanging from the meatpole." He's got a point. The chances of one of The Shamanic Dream Team to bag his buck or even fill both tags drops precipitously if he has not brought his buck down before 1100 on The Opener.

If you're looking for good bow hunting, anytime in the first week of November is usually prime.

If you're out in the woods every day in the first two weeks, you'll usually have a morning where the woods goes bonkers. There will be a 4 pointer running a herd of doe back and forth until they're all tuckered out. That can range from the 5th to the 12th. If you are going to see a monster appear, it usually happens in the three days after that event.
Here in Central NYS the first half of November.
Looks like my area is earlier than most. I can count on the woods blowing up with scrapes in late September and plenty of rut activity (chasing, fighting) the first ten days of October. Every spring I get fawns on trail cam that indicate late September breeding. By December 1 it’s generally dead and deer are in their post rut routines
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Looks like my area is earlier than most. I can count on the woods blowing up with scrapes in late September and plenty of rut activity (chasing, fighting) the first ten days of October. Every spring I get fawns on trail cam that indicate late September breeding. By December 1 it’s generally dead and deer are in their post rut routines

That's about spot on for blacktail in coastal Ca at least from about SF south.
Typically around the second or third week of Oct.
Beginning/middle December.
Not until the doe's come in season! :-)
Not until the doe's come in season! :-)
Peak about a week before Thanksgiving.
In east central part of Ms, according to the biologists, the peak of the rut around here is the 9th of January and that’s probably about right.
week of Halloween till nov.13ish is peak, then lock down, then rutting hard again
Some years, I’m not sure they do. Our deer seem to be nocturnal as heck.
LOL....mid Nov to mid February....depending on which direction I drive <60 miles to hunt.
Second week in November.
That all depends on when the moon peaks. Some doe’s will come in heat 3 days after the moon peaks in oct,nov,dec and maybe jan.
I doubt the moon has anything to do with it, but that’s just what I thought the science said.
Fl is all over the place. A lot is Oct/Nov. The pan handle and a part of Central Fl where I an is Jan/Feb. Some if south Fl should be starting around now and into August. It's crazy, just like a lot of stuff in Fl.
Around Veterans Day in my area.
Same time as everyone else, when ever mama says!
When im not hunting .
Around here in this part of NC it use to be around the second and third week of November and full blown around Thanksgiving but it's hard to tell anymore. I've seen them rutting as early as the middle of October and pre rut as early as late September. Who knows, it may be totally different this season.
November 8th
I live in the geographical center of my State, and the peak chasing that I see is around mid November. I also hunt in West Tennessee a lot, and in my area, peak chasing seems to be the last week of November thru the first week of December.
© 24hourcampfire