Home
What does anybody like to put out as an attractant ? There are many out there, but I'm sure that some are better than others.
300lbs of corn is my go to
I do run mineral stations year round... they don't get used after Sept
I'll put out Southern States Corn-a-Plenty blocks near my stands just for kicks. It's a 25 lbs. block that's pressed together salt, minerals, corn, soy, molasses, and a bunch of other stuff. They actually chew on them. They don't really get eaten that much until all of the leaves are gone. I've seen deer walk right past it and never hit it. Mid season, they might last a month. However, if we get snow cover, they'll eat a block in about a week. For the most part though, it only slightly increases traffic.

https://www.southernstates.com/cata...nshed-corn-a-plenty-wildlife-block-25-lb
The mule deer are especially fond of apples around my place. Had three cleaning up windfall this morning.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The only stuff I’ve ever used was called BuckSeduction. I was actually surprised at how well it worked. Not something I typically do.
In this part of the country (south Louisiana/Mississippi) rice bran is pretty popular with both the deer and the hunters.
Oats are a deer magnet especially when it is short. Molasses poured over a feed block will usually get eaten pretty quick.
Pennsylvania pre hunting period (baiting forbidden 30 days prior to season opening) i use corn and Lucky Buck. Same for bear, they love corn. Lucky Buck has selenium which helps antler growth.
I created a few salt licks. I just scratched the vegetation away in a small spot and dumped a 50 lb bag of fine mixing salt on the ground. Rain soaked it into the ground and the deer have the sites dug down about four inches. I recharge them every year. I put trail cams up and they get visited several times a day by deer.

Apples are #1 here.
As a dear friend, now deceased, used to say when referencing apples as the favorite food of whitetails, “what would you rather chew on wood (browse) or a nice, juicy apple?”

Shooting deer over bait is just that, shooting deer over bait. It’s not real hunting.
are we farming or hunting, gents?
Lucky Buck and Trophy Rock
Originally Posted by wahoo
are we farming or hunting, gents?

I believe it's called deer farming.
The past couple of years I've put a livestock mineral/salt block out beside our pond...I buy a lot of them for livestock so I thought I'd see if deer like them. Deer like it and I enjoy watching them. I don't know if they'd be considered an attractant as the deer were already using the pond for water and eating browse around it. I can say when the deer come out in the evening they generally stop by the block.
© 24hourcampfire