Home
Considering the purchase of Silent Rider ATV exhaust silencer for my Honda Rancher ATV. Friend has one and says he rides up on deer and hogs quite often. Anyone have experience with this product's ability to reduce sound and the difference it makes spooking game...especially deer? Thanks
I have one on my 500 Foreman. It cuts the sound as they say. I don’t know about spooking deer, but it is a lot quieter.
I had one for my Grizzly 660. Once the weather got hot I took it off until Fall because it made the engine run hotter. It did quiet the exhaust. I don't have one on my 700 Grizzly.
On the Grizzlies and Rhinos the aircleaner/intake is what's loud. I wonder how much backpressure and loss of performance you get with those so called "Quiet" exaust setups?
We couldn't use the trailer hitch on the Yamaha's with one from Cabela's so returned it with only a test drive. Seems like adapting a better muffler from a motorcycle might be a good compromise as it could improve performance if the right set up is found.
I've run a secondary muffler on my Honda Foreman for years. It does quieten the motor exhaust considerably, and any power loss is negligible to me, but there is no way in hell you'll be silent and sneaky. Sit in the forest for a while and listen to a quad running from miles away.
Buy an electric? Quieter.
Yeah, with the muffler, deer will only hear you a mild away instead of the usual 2 miles away.
Deer will get used to ATVs as long as you aren’t chasing or shooting at them from atv no matter the sound. I have a friend with a Silent Rider and the deer still hear it just fine. You can’t sneak up on them without the hearing you but you can get them used to the noise where they don’t associate it as a threat. Electric golf cart or bike would work better. We drive very close to deer all the time with tractors that are very noisy but the deer are used to it.
I’d want something to quiet them down as much for my ears, as the deer’s ears.
I park 1/4-1/2 mile away so as to not spook The deer I’m hunting. no other real solution in my book.
Originally Posted by Morewood
. . .but there is no way in hell you'll be silent and sneaky. Sit in the forest for a while and listen to a quad running from miles away.

This ^ ^
When the wind is right, I can hear the kids at
the old dairy farm 3 miles a.t.c.f.

I've been riding various kinds and configurations
for many years, and can tell you that when you
don't dive too deep in the throttle, most all of
them are fairly quiet as delivered from the factory.
Let the machine do the work and let it putt putt
along and don't try to drive it like you're in a race
like 90% of everybody does. ( I'm as guilty as the
next guy)
© 24hourcampfire