Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard Pics From The Camp - 09/13/20
My camp isn't much. It's 10 acres kinda on the edge of a rural subdivision with a very large wooded tract to the south. It's in the middle of the map. I bought it no so much for hunting, but as a possible place to build a retirement home, with a little hunting and target shooting as a bonus in the interim. I have been very impressed with the number of deer that show up there. From the various pics I am getting, I count at least 12 different deer that come through on a somewhat regular basis. The spike in this pic got really curious about the camera. The pic after this one shows his face right up against it. It's just a blur, so I deleted it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/13/20
Who was the guy from LA that had the camp around woodville?

He used to post a lot.

Was that youPaul?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/13/20
No that wasn't me. Damn, his name escapes me. Good dude.

EDIT. Just remembered. Simoneaud. Not sure about the spelling.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/13/20
Same guy who’s family owned some grocery stores?

Older guy, talked about his grand kids hunting some up there.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/13/20
How much for a membership?
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Same guy who’s family owned some grocery stores?

Older guy, talked about his grand kids hunting some up there.

I don't remember if he had grandkids. I know simoneaud was from LA and had a camp in Woodville. He invited me to come up in a PM one time.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I charge extra for the spotted ones since they are so tender. Or so I've heard.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/14/20
They had some Kumbaya stuff going on at the feeder last night.

Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/14/20
Paul, that looks like a good place to be. Stay safe as it looks like the hurricane and a lot of water are heading your way.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/14/20
Paul that looks nice! good area too!

Dad sold our Farm 600 acres in Woodville, Ms, Sold it in Aug 2018, IT Sucks!! however change is constant, so I am rolling with the flow. we killed our limits of teal this weekend at my camp in the swamp - Bayou Patout - busy working on deer stands too, it's Hot!!
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Paul that looks nice! good area too!

Dad sold our Farm 600 acres in Woodville, Ms, Sold it in Aug 2018, IT Sucks!! however change is constant, so I am rolling with the flow. we killed our limits of teal this weekend at my camp in the swamp - Bayou Patout - busy working on deer stands too, it's Hot!!

There you are! I haven't seen much of you. Sounds like you are still getting it done!
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Paul, that looks like a good place to be. Stay safe as it looks like the hurricane and a lot of water are heading your way.

It looks like the eye may pass to the east of the camp now. I sure hope so.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/14/20
yes it's looking good for LA, but MS and AL will get slammed, Praying for ALL
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I charge extra for the spotted ones since they are so tender. Or so I've heard.

Each hunter should know their limitations. Kudos
Posted By: huntstat Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/15/20
PVC around the legs to discourage the raccoons?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by huntstat
PVC around the legs to discourage the raccoons?

That and squirrels. Squirrels can shimmy up the metal legs. They'll chew a hole in the plastic drum. I thought I'd give this a try. IT's been up for about a month and it hasn't yet been defeated.
Posted By: hanco Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/17/20
I had a plastic lid once, chewed right through it. I make feeders out of metal.

Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I had a plastic lid once, chewed right through it. I make feeders out of metal.

So far the critters haven't figured out how to climb the PVC. Squirrels are pretty damn industrious though.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 09/28/20
This is only my third fox image. This camera is an el cheapo that has some serious lens distortion.

Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/05/20
I haven't seen a buck on camera since I applied my lime and fertilizer 2 weeks ago. Mom and her kid are still regulars. I planted my rye over the weekend. With a hurricane approaching I should get enough rain to get it settled in and started. Just hope I still have a pole barn and camper when it's done. Squirrel season opened over the weekend.

Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/15/20
I had this guy show up for the first time in a long time. I guess with all the raccoons, rabbits and possums hanging out at the feeder, it's a good place for the cat to play. A raccoon was under the feeder 7 minutes after the bobcat left.

Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/15/20
I haven't seen a buck on camera since I applied my lime and fertilizer 2 weeks ago. Mom and her kid are still regulars. I planted my rye over the weekend. With a hurricane approaching I should get enough rain to get it settled in and started. Just hope I still have a pole barn and camper when it's done. Squirrel season opened over the weekend.

Nice shelter for your camper. I've always liked that idea. Do you have a place to hang deer up close by?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Nice shelter for your camper. I've always liked that idea. Do you have a place to hang deer up close by?

The pole barn has been working well. Sun and rain play hell on RV's, so this helps with both. Gambrel, strap and front end loader on the tractor is the plan for a deer.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/28/20
Activity really tailed off over the past month. I figure with the acorns dropping that they are sticking to the hardwood bottoms. My spike came back last week for a quick visit and a basket rack six pointer came in a few nights ago. I had to high tail it over to the camp today to make it ready for the damn hurricane. I planted my rye 3 weeks ago and it is coming in nicely. The doe and her fawn are regulars. The fawn is straying further from mom these days.

Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/28/20
nice!!
Posted By: GRF Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/28/20
Thanks for all the updates Paul.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by GRF
Thanks for all the updates Paul.

Looking at the weather the camp is getting slammed by 80 MPH winds. I hope it makes out as well as we did at the house.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 11/06/20
I had about a dozen pines down at the camp. That didn't bother me at all. I lost two massive oaks. I am bummed about that. I got things cleaned up. My rye has come in really good. This is the view from my stand. I thought I was seeing double with the deer pic. They were in there 20 minutes after I climbed down from the stand where I took the pic.

Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Pics From The Camp - 02/23/21
This was the dominant buck from the camp this year. He rarely made daytime appearances. In fact, it was only about once or twice a week when any deer showed up during legal shooting light. It's a great place to kill time though. I must say, I am getting the bug to do some serious hunting.

© 24hourcampfire