Home
Posted By: pka45 Anyone Use "Jawbone Deer Aging"? - 09/14/20
There's a page on Facebook that ages deer by pictures of the teeth; I've got a couple jawbones I'd like to get aged but wondered if anybody heard about it.

Thanks!
It has been used by game biologists for years, nothing new about it.
Back in the day when we used to have to take them to a checking station, the state used to pull the jaw bone. They'd go in with a set of loppers that you use to cut branches with and cut it on both sides. Then they had this hook thing and they'd rip it out. Not sure how they figured out the age though.
I get the process, but I'm more asking if anyone has used this particular service: https://www.facebook.com/jawboneage/

Thanks.
In our ranch management booklet we had a series of photos and drawings that made aging the deer fairly easy. We logged in about a 100 or so to keep the managed land status and extra permits. That service should work fine but not so good for large numbers of deer.
Yes, it has been used for decades.
We pull the jawbones on the first 25 deer we shoot each year. You age, based on the wear of the teeth. Takes practice and there are still cases where opinions vary, 3 years old or 4? Etc....
Quality Deer Management Association: Deer Jawbone Aging

Part II: Deer Jawbone Aging

Part III: Quiz

Watch these and you can do it yourself.

© 24hourcampfire