Home
Posted By: Sniggly Deer stand / cigar question - 10/17/20
Anyone here smoke cigars whilst in a tree stand? 12 to 14 feet in the air?
My experience is that a deer will smell you no matter what if he gets down wind. I only have hunted whitetail.
Posted By: skeen Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Not in a treestand, but on the ground, all the time.
Doesn't seem necessary. But that's just me.
Those things will stunt your growth

Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Not in a treestand, but on the ground, all the time.

+1. Don’t smoke anymore, but I did for years.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 10/19/20
I have had deer that seemed attracted to both pipe and cigar smoke, but at other times it spooked them. It seems almost random for putting them on the alert but not necessarily spooking them. I don't smoke when there are down drafts or a temperature inversion like around a stock tank, this has definitely spooked deer.
I don't smoke, but I don't think that animals are bothered by the smell of tobacco smoke, but I think that they do notice the hand movements that are associated with smoking.
I use to smoke and hunt. Got busted by deer a few times because of it. But I have seen some upclose that my smoke went right past them and didn't bother them. They were young dumb ones.
My dad was a chain smoker, deer didn't seem to mind, we killed many with him having a cigarette lit up, shotgun and bow distances.

Funny, he'd always tell me "I'm checking the wind" when he lit one up. Salem lights!
Posted By: shaman Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 10/22/20
I used to hear that smoking cherry cavendish tobacco in a pipe would attract deer. I used to smoke myself sick trying to attract deer that way. Of course, this was when I was still hunting in wool clothes that reeked of mothballs and carried a Jon-E handwarmer. I was up for trying anything and everything.

No. I never found any surefire way to attract deer with those methods.
It's pretty elementary.

When hunting, you are in the living room of everything wild in the outdoors.

Any scent that's not usually there will draw the attention of every animal that smells it.

Some of you talk like you have not spent much time in the outdoors.... wink
If they can smell your smoke they can smell you, too.

I’d think that would bust them more than a cigar would.

P
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 10/22/20
I enjoy a fine cigar every afternoon. i start as soon as I get into the stand and am done by prime time. Never seemed to be an issue for me.

If a deer had to run every time the smell of smoke was in the air it would almost be in perpetual motion.
Tobacco use in any form is a nasty offensive habit.
i used to smoke cigars while deer hunting. it was one way to check which way the wind currents were going, so i told myself. i've had to drop a lit one to shoot a deer a few times. if they are downwind of you they are going to smell you no matter what you are doing. the biggest problem with it is the hand movements as said above.
Yesterday I was hunting and I could see the tree stand I had been using the last two days.

A group of does and fawns were walking by the stand ......one snorted a few times in alarm.

Finally the does were at the base of the tree, smelling the steps up to the stand. I hadn't smoked, I used to...

Checking the wind...it's great 4 that. But my point is they smell everything....and don't miss much.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 10/24/20

In farm country the smell of smoke and human activity related scents of one kind or another is common. Never noticed whitetail deer act especially spooked by it alone.

As to smoking cigars, cigarettes, pipes, while hunting deer, deer are curious animals and sometimes attracted by new scents but in my experience what alerted and spooked them quicker than the smell was the physical movements associated with smoking.

As always, YMMV...
I have never smoked and would discourage others from doing so - especially when hunting deer and mature bucks in particular.

John
LOL, hell no, smoke and scotch is for around the fire back at camp.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
If they can smell your smoke they can smell you, too.

I’d think that would bust them more than a cigar would.

Cigar smoking while deer hunting is OK if the cigars are soaked in TINKS beforehand.

P
Some folks get lucky and some folks make their own luck. Scent control is my main concern when hunting whitetails.
The Ozonic is kind of a hassle to use and the deer will hear the fan. But the deer won't smell you when you use the Ozonic in conjunction with other scent control measures.
https://www.ozonicshunting.com/
Posted By: Gibby Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 09/13/23
Smoke while your still hunting. Drives the deer crazy I've been told
Posted By: Teal Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's pretty elementary.

When hunting, you are in the living room of everything wild in the outdoors.

Any scent that's not usually there will draw the attention of every animal that smells it.

Some of you talk like you have not spent much time in the outdoors.... wink

I'm generally in this camp. While I enjoy a nice smoke (my Peterson collection is too big really) - it's never in the hunt. Just not necessary for me.

If I suddenly smelled cologne as I walked into my house - I'm pulling a pistol, even if I like the smell. Something's there that shouldn't be and never was before - my fight/flight response ratchets up some. Same for deer.
We have a herd of deer 45yds from the back door eating corn every morning that I spread by hand every afternoon. If you walk outside to sit on the porch to view them they usually smell you. It's not human scent that alerts deer, it's the amount of human scent. That's why cover scents, scent blockers and Ozonic work.
I view it like whispering in the woods vs yelling. They may still hear (smell) you, but why make it so much worse?
My dad smoked a bunch in the deerstand with me growing up, Alpines and then Salem lights, I never remember it spooking a deer, can't tell you how many he had to put when we had a deer coming in. Bow/Shotgun only county, had to get them close. We killed a lot of good bucks.

Funny, I'd ask him why he had to smoke in the stand, his response was always "I'm checking the wind"
My Gramps smoked cigars and my dad smoked cigarettes, both while stillhunting. Each of them killed enough deer to fill a boxcar.
Smoke is 1 way of keeping track of air currents. If it's going toward a deer, you're in the wrong place. Talc in a bottle will do the same thing without rotting out your lungs.
Posted By: hanco Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 09/26/23
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
My Gramps smoked cigars and my dad smoked cigarettes, both while stillhunting. Each of them killed enough deer to fill a boxcar.

My friend smoked his ass off bow hunting, he couldn’t go ten minutes without firing up another one. He killed plenty deer. If he had to pee, he would stand up in the tripod, let it fly. I don’t know what to say, but apparently that didn’t bother the deer either.
Helps keep the skeeters away
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 09/26/23
i used to smoke 1 1/2 to 2 packs cigarettes a day, until i had a stroke. it's been 11 or 12 years since i lit one up. i used to smoke on the ground and in a tree stand and it didn't bother the deer. as a matter of fact, i was smoking when i shot the deer. i've been around a few fires (hunting deer) when it is gotten cold (10 degrees and less) and i've killed a few deer that were coming to the smoke.

15 to 20 years ago, i found detergent that kills UV light and leaves clothes unscented. i use that and a drop or two of earth scent and i'm good to go. i've seen deer pay no more attention to me downwind of me. by my ground blind, i would scrape the leaves off of the ground, urinate, kick the leaves back on it and enter the ground blind.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00194EUUW/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1&psc=1
Cigars don't bother my deer hunting at all because I don't smoke I dip.
Posted By: JJF Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 09/26/23
Originally Posted by Ogdonia
I have never smoked and would discourage others from doing so - especially when hunting deer and mature bucks in particular.

John
+1 about smoking and bucks. I used to smoke from elevated stands and would still see does. However, it wasn't until I quit that that I began to see bucks.
Posted By: trplem Re: Deer stand / cigar question - 09/26/23
Y'all haven't switched to crystal meth these days? Getcha some that glass dick!
Originally Posted by hanco

My friend smoked his ass off bow hunting, he couldn’t go ten minutes without firing up another one. He killed plenty deer. If he had to pee, he would stand up in the tripod, let it fly. I don’t know what to say, but apparently that didn’t bother the deer either.
I've come to the conclusion that pee is pee, no matter who squirts it out. Deer don't seem to tell the difference. I know dogs use it to mark a territory but I haven't seen that can tell the difference between dog, man, or deer pee.
I think some of it depends on location. I hunt some small tracts near houses where people burn trash , outside fires or wood stove smoke. Those deer don't pay much attention. But a few miles off the road in National forest its a different ball game. Just my experience
Originally Posted by hanco

One of the guys in my club regularly freshens buck scrapes with his own piss. The scrapes continue to be very active.
I used to smoke cigarettes, and have killed several deer with one in my mouth. Having said that, I wouldn't do that now days.
It doesn't bother them, cigars or cigarettes.
Im convinced my earth scent thermocell is my primary deer spooker.
© 24hourcampfire