Home
Posted By: Sponxx Deer aging - 10/17/20
I tried to use the search function, but didn't easily find a thread that answered my question:

How and for how long should the meat be aged? I always took the quarters, rib/neck to the processor for steaks and ground meat, but I'm going to do it all now.

Took a fat doe this past Thursday am, during archery season in Texas.The backstraps, tenderloins and flank meat as well as the quarters were in the iced cooler until last night. Last night I cleaned the silver skin and vacuum sealed the backstraps and tenderloins, and already in freezer.

The quarters were rinsed with water but I didn't get the chance to get to them. I have left them in the fridge racks, but inside covered in plastic bags, and was planning on working on them tomorrow (working all day and night tonight)

Should the be unwrapped and exposed to the fridge air? for how long?

Thanks
Posted By: jwall Re: Deer aging - 10/17/20
sponxx

Go Here... Ask the Gunwriters Thread , P 1 or maybe 2
Several pages discussing Aging Game

Aging meat after it has been frozen?#1529199510/07/20
OPOffline

Tejano
Campfire Tracker
T
Out Yonder
I know this can be done but I don't trust that it will work in a refrigerator due to humidity. Typically once I thaw meet I will keep it in the fridge for a week maximum and preferably four days maximum. My only other option for aging is a laundry room with an AC unit. I know it will cool down the area to at least the 40s but will it eliminate enough humidity to work. It is a 10,000 BTU energy star and rated as a dehumidifier. Any other options or ideas until we get some real cold fronts?

Jerry
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Deer aging - 10/17/20
Jerry,
I will look it up. My question was more about the quarters than the vacuum sealed choice meat packs.
Posted By: jwall Re: Deer aging - 10/17/20
V S is not the discussion there either.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Deer aging - 10/17/20
http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B513Rpdf.pdf
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: Deer aging - 10/20/20
Texas A&M did a study years ago and for optimum ageing was to hang it refrigerated around 47 deg. for 3 weeks with the skin on. I’ve done this before when I had a walk in cooler and it diffently works.
© 24hourcampfire