Home
Does done him in.. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think you're selling your buck short. Very nice!
Very cool tines.
That is boomer of a blacktail! Chasing does has done in many a buck... grin
Originally Posted by Santiam
Does done him in.. grin

Good lookin' buck!
Way to go, very good blacktail buck.
Congrats you must have done a lot of things right.
Wow, very unique buck
Nice buck! Congratulations!
If that is “halfway decent” I would love to see what you consider a decent buck! Nice job. Rifle details?
Love how thick bodied those Blacktails are. In Oregon?
Yep, I agree with the others, nice buck. I really like the character and color of that set of antlers.

I think at one time or another, the male of every species is done in by the "doe" of the species! 😂😂
Very nice. Really love the color and that little handlebar drop tine.
Originally Posted by AB2506
I think you're selling your buck short. Very nice!

X 2 or more

Jerry
That's a beaut. What a body on that thing. Any idea how much he weighed?
Good job Santiam - thats a heck of a blacktail buck!!
I think it belongs in the Dinkothon thread.

Just kidding. Very nice. Congratulations.
Yeah...hes wayyyyyy more than half way decent!
Beautiful buck!

-Jake
Boy that’s a hammer santiam, don’t be so humble!! 😂😂😂

Grats
That is a nice looking buck, congratulations.
That's beauty and so is the rifle. How about some specs on the rifle!
Awesome blacktail.
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
That's beauty and so is the rifle. How about some specs on the rifle!

Rem 700 action,26" Bartlein 5R, 7 1/2 twist barrel in 264 WM.. 156 Bergers at 3050..

Stocky's in house aluminum bedding block stock painted by me. wink
Slammer, congrats!
Really nice... Congratulations
Great buck!
Awesome buck. Congrats 👏
Wow!!! Love the extras!
Very nice! Congrats!
Looks like a very good buck to me, congrats.
Beautiful buck. Congratulations
Yeah, halfway decent buck my azz! That's an awesome blacktail and you know it buddy! We need to hear a story!

Sweet buck.

You just get one tag per year in ORE? OTC or draw?
Santiam,
That’s a beautiful blacktail!
Love the antler color and cape.
Our bucks down here aren’t all neck swollen yet.
Good on ya man 👍
That’s a fantastic buck. Congratulations.
Way to go. Nice buck with character.
Very cool. Unique head gear on him. Actually, pretty unique looking overall.
Holy Smokes Santiam! That’s a monster you’ve got there. Congratulations!!
Beautiful Trophy ! Looks like a alpha male stud
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Yeah, halfway decent buck my azz! That's an awesome blacktail and you know it buddy! We need to hear a story!

Story? I have a story... smile

The unit I was hunting is two miles and considerable climbing from the gate.. Walk in only.. I had hunted it a couple days earlier for a evening without seeing anything...Did see a few buck rubs and a spot where bucks had been sparring, ground tore up and tuffs of hair..With the moon the way it is deer were waiting until clear dark to come out..

I decided to try a early morning hunt in hopes deer would linger a little after daylight..

Whether they lingered or not I'll never know as everything was fogged in that morning and visibility was only about fifty yards.I still hunted some timber for a while waiting for the fog to lift but it was stubborn...

About that time it started raining..That kinda got me excited because as you probably well know ,rain seems to get them active..

About 11:00 the rain starting picking up and the fog cleared enough that I could see better. I hiked back to the unit and took up a stand on a good vantage point.. It wasn't long and I started seeing does come out..Two here,three over there, ect.... About then at the top of the unit fog started rolling in again and through the binos I caught sight of something that always gets me excited..The unmistakable image of a double throat patch..Couldn't quite make him out for size or even horns,but knew it was a buck..

I tried ranging,but just got readings reflecting off the fog..I gave up,guessed 400 and dialed in..Then the fog cleared out and I did get a range..324yds...Also seen he was a mature buck. Reset my dial and rested the rifle on a log..Another band of fog moved in and obscured him again...About that time a doe had fed in underneath me ..Winded me I guess as she started snorting..I thought that maybe game over right there..The fog lessened some and I could just make him out through the scope..He was looking down towards the snorting doe and straight on for a shot..I centered the crosshairs on the bottom throat patch and piled him up right there,on the side of the logging road in the pics.

My buddy is hiking in tomorrow morning to look for the other buck in the fight...Hopefully mine was the winner. wink
Thanks for the write up. I enjoyed it.
Very nice! Wish we grew them like that up here!!!
Livin the dream Santiam. I saw my first rutting buck today, a 3x3. I've got a big one I've been learning and am holding out for. You got a great deer there. A real whopper.
He looks like a trophy.
Considering there are millions of us hunters will never even see a comparable buck you should still be dancing!
I hunted Oregon for the 10 years i lived there in the 70's and what i got were dinks compared to that bull o the woods! Congratulations !!!!!!
Great story, well done.
Congrats congrats on a dandy blacktail.
I saw the local school yard does getting ready to cross the street today and lo and behold, they had a 3x3 little buck sniffing the air right behind them. Tomorrow is the last day or regular Western Oregon season so I guess I better sneak away and try to find and early little rut runner.
Beautiful buck. Amazing tall wide rack for a blactail. Congrats!
Awesome. Please tell me the rack and cape are at a quality taxidermist.
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Awesome. Please tell me the rack and cape are at a quality taxidermist.
What he said. Great looking buck
© 24hourcampfire