Home
Legs.

At almost 60 I have finally decided that a good strong pair of legs gets more deer killed than anything else.

And mine aren’t that strong anymore. I did manage to get up to the top of a 1400’ hill and take a little forkhorn though 😏
I thought you were going to say Silvarados
Congrats on the kill. My Pop is 86 and my brother and I keep him 2 spots that he likes on our lease,one is a 5 step ladder and the other is a hut on a plot. He shoots them and will call us to pick them up after he gets back to the camp with some coffee.
That’s outstanding. I know my boys would drag and/or carry a buck for me if they were nearby. I always figured I’d hunt til I die even if I’m just sitting on a log in the woods with a pretty rifle on my lap.
My Peterbilt killed way more deer than any rifle I ever owned.
Old age around here.
Subarus and SUVs out here...
Congratulations on the buck and on the ability to climb a 1400 foot hill. Great job.You are right about the legs because if you can't get to where you can see them You can't kill them. I would also add the will to do what it takes to make the hunt successful.
At 67, I still climb the hills and drop into the canyons.... but much slower and (hopefully) smarter.....

MS9x56, nailed it for me when he says it’s the “will to do what it takes to make the hunt successful”.
Originally Posted by rong
I thought you were going to say Silverados

That is pretty optimistic, you would have to assume they actually ran and moved fast enough
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
Legs.

At almost 60 I have finally decided that a good strong pair of legs gets more deer killed than anything else.

And mine aren’t that strong anymore. I did manage to get up to the top of a 1400’ hill and take a little forkhorn though 😏

Good on you!

And yes, despite all the gun gack and ballistica minutiae, there are the simple, straight forward stuff that really counts.........
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
At 67, I still climb the hills and drop into the canyons.... but much slower and (hopefully) smarter.....

MS9x56, nailed it for me when he says it’s the “will to do what it takes to make the hunt successful”.

Agreed! I don’t jump over the deadfalls anymore and hopping rocks in the creeks doesn’t happen either. I get there just a little slower. My dad ran the woods up into his late 40’s and then said that he killed more deer when he finally slowed down.
Originally Posted by Darryle

That is pretty optimistic, you would have to assume they actually ran and moved fast enough

grin grin

R O F

laugh laugh

B A G >> busting a gut.

Jerry
56 and battling a right leg and spine deal. Gonna be fun dragging a couple bucks out this coming weekend ( my hunting bud about same shape as me LOL ).

Proly drive to hunting spot w TENS unit cranked
We used to call it "skid and shoot."

We got more politically correct with "Stop and stalk"
OTOH and seriously,

Too many wear out soles for few deer dragged.

Got to KNOW what UR doing.

Someone I knew and cared about would simply say, "this looks like a good place", killed FEW deer.

Jerry
I thought you were going to say Silvarados

Judging from my recent interstate travels, semi's dont take prisoners.......lots of patches where the road turns red with bits of fur littering. Can always tell when deer be moving based on interstate aftermath.
1400 feet in blacktail country is no small feat. Well done.
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
Legs.

Ha! Just wait until you get Old!
Just being out there is 1/2 the fun. Climbing 1400' will get you past most others and into good country.

mike r
I felt truly blessed to have a shot at the buck I took. And the breakfast sausage I made last Wednesday is phenomenal!
Originally Posted by Darryle

Funny post my Silverado killed one not far from Weatherford on I20.
I've gotten a couple using F-150's but never got one with either of the Toyota Tacomas I've had.
That’s cause the Taco has a higher ballistic coefficient and was faster to get out of the way!
© 24hourcampfire