Home
Posted By: 1minute Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
Posted this with a bunch of Cookie's other images a few weeks back (Link to other pics), but thought it might get a few more looks if it went solo. Had a black doe in the area about 5 years back figuring it was a once in a lifetime deal. A black mule deer fawn made an appearance this season, so now it's twice in one's lifetime.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It was a product of a twin birthing and note the tail on its sibling. Also a bit unusual for a mule deer. Typical tail on the buck in the first image.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cool! Have never seen that.

On a ranch near ours there used to be “pinto” genetics in a resident herd for years.
Posted By: skeen Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
Whoa, never heard of nor seen such a thing.
Posted By: tzone Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
Cool!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
NICE!!
Thats freaking cool! Thanks for sharing the pics!
Posted By: Westman Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
Thats awesome. Wonder what causes that coloration difference?
Interesting to see that over there you have black deer. In my area black roe deer is quite common. The following page I am not affiliated with will show you some examples:

http://www.iberhunts.com/en/Programas/1-alemania-caza-de-corzos-negros/

The color variant was created by mutation in the form of excessive black pigment deposits. We are talking about melanism, which we also find more frequently in fallow deer and rabbits. The most famous blacks are the black panthers. In evolutionary theory we also talk about variability. The opposite of this is albinism, in which pigment deposits are completely absent.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
That is amazing. Once in a, or twice 😁, in a life time for sure. I have seen piebald deer that other people have shot and thought that was rare. This would be better.
There was a melanistic doe in the vicinity of one of the farms I hunt. We only ever saw her once. Don’t know what ever became of her.
Posted By: jwall Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
Veddy Inter,resting!!

Thanks

Jerry
Awesome. Saw a white mule deer fawn couple years ago in AZ
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/08/20
Great pictures! I have a good friend that has a couple of Melanistic whitetails on his ranch every year. It must be genetic because they have a few around every year going back 30 plus year.
Cool!!
Cool!!
Posted By: longarm Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/09/20
1minute
There's been a recurring incidence of melanism down near Page Springs on the refuge for quite a few years. Nice pics.
Posted By: GRF Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/09/20
Very cool? Thanks for sharing with us!
Posted By: hanco Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/09/20
Is that deer on welfare????
Posted By: DBoston Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/09/20
We have a heard of black white tails on one place and there are several with in-between shades. I don't think they are melanistic just a recessive gene or something. Saw a pretty good eight point that would have made an interesting mount, but let it walk to spread it's genes, which it apparently it did as I saw another young black eight point about 2 years later.

In West Texas some locations have a higher incidence of White Tail/Mule deer crosses. These deer will have a dark tail like the other fawn. It would be really rare to have both the dark or melanistic genetics and white tail genes too, but it is not impossible.
Posted By: efw Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/09/20
Beautiful deer and as usual your wife is an amazing photographer.
1minute: Great pictures and indeed very rare.
I have seen albino Deer many times but never a "black" one.
Thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Judman Re: Black Deer Matter - 2 Pics - 12/09/20
Wow very cool deer. Thanks for sharin
© 24hourcampfire