Home
Posted By: SKane Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Broken record here - we once again hunted our favorite place on earth (not far from Wichita).

We arrived four days before the season to try to get a handle on things, maybe hang some sets etc.
Twas quite a contrast to a year ago when lack of rain meant very little in the way of crops. This year, there was seemingly wheat and some picked soybeans everywhere on and around the ranch.

We spent the bulk of mornings/afternoons glassing from vantage points and via GMC while installing any blinds/ladders midday depending on wind directions.

One buck was sighted on our first morning that got us reasonably excited - a mile from the ranch but headed the right way. Numerous bucks were sighted on a river bottom wheat field over the next few days so we'd begun to formulate a game plan for the opener - I'd hunt the ground closest to where saw the good buck the first day and dad would guard the river bottom wheat field.

About an hour in, I had a cool encounter with a young buck that with all that pasture, decided to nearly walk over my boots. I knew he was going to bust me so I figured I'd capture some video:

Dad would see nearly continuous all-day activity (due to an impending storm) and passed on this stud of a 3.5 y/o 8pt a couple of different times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

TBC

Posted By: SKane Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Day two:

With so much activity the day before, we decided to double-up in the blind dad sat the day before. It was pretty cool to spend the day with dad and thankfully had one another’s company because there was ZERO movement until late in the afternoon when the snow began to melt. A few deer and smaller bucks were sighted but a pretty quiet day.

Day three:

Just when you think you’ve experienced about any/all zaniness whitetail hunting has to offer. smile

Being that the storm had passed and weather warmed, we assumed the deer would be getting back to normal and I wanted to get back to where I stood the first morning and dad would come along and guard a draw to the east of me.

I was in position, checking the time on my phone for shooting hours – 7:03 – not quite bright enough to see well but legal shooting time. I was putting my gloves on when I saw a single big-bodied deer walking in the pasture about two hundred yards out and traveling a route that would eventually put him downwind of me. I didn’t have time to look at him in the bino as he got behind some cedar trees so readied the rifle (and reticle illumination LOL), where he’d likely appear. Somewhere behind the cedars, he began angling toward me so when he appeared, he was straight-on to me and immediately knew it was the buck we’d seen the first day. And, he was now directly downwind and on-point – I settled the crosshairs on the brisket and squeezed. He spun and ran over a terrace, pointed due EAST toward dad’s position. I was a wee shocked he didn’t drop on the spot and wondered WTF. I didn’t waste time in waiting, figuring if I’d somehow missed, I could get on top of the pasture and maybe catch him someplace. Zero sign of him anywhere so I hurried back to about where I figured he was standing. The patchwork snow didn’t show any blood or tracks so I did a couple of zig-zags before texting dad that I’d thought I’d somehow blown the shot. His response was “you didn’t miss, he came over the hill and down into the cedars by me but I couldn’t get a crack at him – he was hurting.”

So I told dad I’d make my way to the top of the hill so I could see the draw he was in and then we’d formulate a plan of attack. As I made my way up the hill, I heard dad shoot and figured the buck must have moved – either way, I knew there’d be a dead buck over there. Dad directed me via hand signals to where he’d last seen the buck so I could come in from above him. I immediately spotted the expired buck and made my way to him. Upon arrival, I grabbed the ample headgear and thought “WTF, this isn’t the buck I shot at”. shocked shocked shocked

We took a few photos of dad with his deer and decided to drag the deer down the hill to where we could get the truck close to him. We then went back to try to sort out my rodeo. I’m not god’s gift to shooting but there’s no way I could have blown that shot – especially off of the sticks.

As we made our way across the terrace to where I’d last seen the buck, a coyote busted over the top about 75 yards NORTH of where I’d shot. I got up on the terrace to see antlers sticking up out of the grass and another bastid coyote tying into my deer so I made quick work of him.

I’d hit the deer prezactly where I’d put the crosshairs but instead of running east toward dad (which I’d assumed), when got out of sight on the terrace, he ran north, putting him north of where I stood at the shot. SMH.

He took a 160 gr Accubond (7SAUM) to the chest that shattered his pelvis, yet he made it a full 75 yards while out-of-sight.

Dad’s cool, old buck:

Post-mortem autopsy revealed his buck to have numerous puncture wounds to the ribs and was quite worn down, hence the reason for him to appear to be hobbling. He was wounded alright, just not via bullet.
My buck:

We’d spend the next week filling an ample supply of doe and coyote tags.

Some random beauty from this wonderful playland.

We both continue to pinch ourselves each time our boots hit the ground on this ranch. And we're really quite fortunate to call the ranch owner a friend - they just don't make them like him anymore.

Posted By: GregW Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Oh heck ya dude! Killer bucks, both of them....
Posted By: skeen Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Great bucks, man, and congrats to you and your dad!
Nice job skane!
as usual awesome bucks by two great guys
Beautiful pictures Scott - thanks for taking us along on another epic adventure. Also congrats on the 2 fine bucks!!
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
spectacular bucks! and sounded like a great hunting trip. Congrats to you and your Dad.
Nice, a couple of heavy hitters there.
Always enjoy these reports and have been waiting to hear about this year’s adventure. Great deer and sounds like a great time. You are a lucky man to have that time with your Dad. Well done Scott.
Looks like a great hunt even without the bucks Scott. The time with your dad is priceless and the two dandy bucks just top it off.
Congrads, fellows a pair of super Bucks! And as usual a great write up and pics.
I always enjoy the reports from these trips. Congratulations on another great year in Kansas.
Great story, awesome bucks! Congrats
Another great hunt. It don’t get any better than two down brownies and getting more time with your dad. Congratulations.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Yep! You've done it again! Congrats!
Posted By: battue Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Congrats...👍👍👍👍
ya'll always have a great hunt!! congrats!!
Fantastic.... well done!
another great hunt story with your dad!
-I don't think I could have let that that 8 point walk away
Love the double up story. Classic.

It wouldn't be Christmas without your annual Kansas report. Keep them coming.
Posted By: aalf Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20

[Linked Image from res.cloudinary.com]
Great hunt and great write up Scott. Glad you’re enjoying these opportunities with your Dad. Do it while you can.

John
Enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting.

I couldn’t help remembering BobinNH and our mutual KS friends.

Nice area. In-laws are at Goddard, between Wichita and your area.

I’ve been visiting that part of the world for 44 years.

DF

Edited to change 44 to 45 yrs. Wife helped me re-calculate. We’re coming up on our 44th anniversary and I was up there a while before we tied the knot. 94 yr. old in-laws now in assisted living, sold their house and vehicles. Time changes everything, not always for the good.
Congrats Scott!

Glad you got to enjoy some quality time with your Dad.

Even better than taking two great bucks.
awesome pics!!!!!
Posted By: Judman Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Wow what a trip! Your old mans buck is badass, both hammers! Nice work
another story from the deer whisperer....thanks look forward to them every year
Congratulations and thanks for the very enjoyable photos.
Congratulations to you both, you certainly are a one-two punch on those Kansas bucks. Whack'em and drag'em. laugh
Posted By: jwall Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Man ! OH Man !

Congrats doesn't seem to say ENUFF !! I like it, I like it !

So glad you and your Dad get to do this together !

GREAT Bucks and Great Pix !

Always look forward to y'all hunts.

Jerry
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Congratulations on the awesome bucks! More importantly Congratulations for getting to experience it with your father!
Great story and awesome bucks! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Awesome hunt for you both. Congrats to you guys. The pics from tjay hunt are always awesome.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the hunt with us.
Great bucks, several Kansas monsters showing up here in the last few days.
That's an outstanding hunting opportunity, well played!
Posted By: 805 Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/13/20
Awesome write up and Great bucks as usual! Specs on Dads rifle? Looks awesome.
Scott,
Hearty congrats from “the couch”! Wish I could do that with my dad, I’m sure you’re enjoying every hunt with yours!
Very cool vid and pics. Once again, thanks for taking us along. Congrats all around.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Scott & Paul did great this year! The 2020 deer season ended here very quietly which is always a good thing.
A light haze over the maple grove that smelled remarkably like cigars... smile
Originally Posted by 65X54
Scott & Paul did great this year! The 2020 deer season ended here very quietly which is always a good thing.

Bet y'all had a great time back together.

Great hunt as Scott so well documented and narrated.

As I posted earlier, sorta brought back memories of BobinNH, who I'm sure was looking down on you guys.

DF
Posted By: SKane Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20

Thank you. I take it the cigars are a deer-victory-celebration in your area?

I know a few that have had better days. laugh

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

As I posted earlier, sorta brought back memories of BobinNH, who I'm sure was looking down on you guys.

DF

DF, yeah, I sure miss Bob (as I know many here do as well).
I'm sure he was laughing his @ss off that morning.
Originally Posted by SKane

Thank you. I take it the cigars are a deer-victory-celebration in your area?

I know a few that have had better days. laugh

Good eating in the making...

DF
Midwest Mofia strikes again! 😂
Time shared hunting never leaves the heart.
You two boys always kick ass and bring home the bacon. Great bucks men!
👍
Very nice. That 8 is going to be a fuggin' monster next year - I'd never know though cause he wouldn't have seen Day 2. Envious of your Kansas Connection.
Posted By: powdr Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Skane, did your buck break off his G3 on the left side or did he try to grow a point there and it just petered out like they do some time? powdr
Thank you for sharing. Wonderful landscape and nice bucks.
Very well done and told!! Congrats!
Thanks for the awesome post, another great trip as per usual!
I look forward to your posts about this hunt every year. You really are fortunate to have such an incredible place to hunt.
Originally Posted by powdr
Skane, did your buck break off his G3 on the left side or did he try to grow a point there and it just petered out like they do some time? powdr

You might be referencing the G4 - yeah, not broken, just never really grew.

Originally Posted by chesterwy
I look forward to your posts about this hunt every year. You really are fortunate to have such an incredible place to hunt.

Spot-on in our fortune to hunt there. Finding an older buck there is rarely an easy task but it's easy to put in the time when you know there is a definite possibility of seeing one. And it's easy to be fooled by the younger bucks too - pretty easy to mistakenly shoot a 3.5 y/o if you don't get time to study them a bit. BTDT. cry
great pics and story... thanks for all you work in this post
Posted By: tzone Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Looking at those deer on my computer instead of my phone makes me appreciate what you guys did! Those are great bucks and some absolutely gorgeous country! Well done gentlemen.

Spot-on in our fortune to hunt there. Finding an older buck there is rarely an easy task but it's easy to put in the time when you know there is a definite possibility of seeing one. And it's easy to be fooled by the younger bucks too - pretty easy to mistakenly shoot a 3.5 y/o if you don't get time to study them a bit. BTDT. cry

Right on. Some guys don't like trail cams because they don't see the deer on them during the season. I like to have them out because it helps me see what MIGHT come through when I'm in the bushes. If all I see are spikes and forks, it's hard to get motivated to keep after it. But if I know that big, rutty, stinky sumbitch is in there. I'll play in the woods for weeks if time allows.
Originally Posted by 805
Awesome write up and Great bucks as usual! Specs on Dads rifle? Looks awesome.

805--The rifle is a 7600 in 6.5C crafted by Nathan Chesney at Hillbilly Rifles. 20" bbl. Gray Ceracoat. Much lighter than a standard 7600. Leupold VX2, 2-7. I've taken several bucks and 'yotes with it and the 120gr TTSX.

Paul

That big 8ptr seems to have a taste for Cubans! Pretty sure he was puffing on one when he strutted by me at 30yds on the West wheat field after my tag was punched. grin
Originally Posted by Judman

Judman--I'm pretty sure that old arthritic non-typical is the one I was trying to get four years ago. His rack was already plenty screwed up then. Fortunately, for both of us, he didn't give me the opportunity until after my tag was filled. He was at least 2-3yrs. old then. I didn't realize it could be him until after we found him.

Paul
Posted By: 65BR Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Nice bucks, rifles, pics and write up.

Curious on the expansion of the TTSX on longer shots, wondering how far you all have used it. Sounds like a light aftermarket stock, heard good things on the accuracy of those pumps.

Skane - you have 2 pics I believe of Bolt actions, mind giving some specs?

Enjoyed the posts. Merry Christmas everyone.
Originally Posted by tzone

Right on. Some guys don't like trail cams because they don't see the deer on them during the season. I like to have them out because it helps me see what MIGHT come through when I'm in the bushes. If all I see are spikes and forks, it's hard to get motivated to keep after it. But if I know that big, rutty, stinky sumbitch is in there. I'll play in the woods for weeks if time allows.

Tom--It's always a surprise there. Never know WTH you are going to see there but knowing the possibility for a shooter to show makes it very interesting and exciting! I Always enjoy seeing the Bobcats and eagles. The skunks, not so much! laugh
Whelen Nut------looks like you can shoot a rifle as well as you can that Browning O/U. Real nice buck---Merry Christmas---Bob
[/b]
Broken record here - we once again hunted our favorite place on earth (not far from Wichita).

We arrived four days before the season to try to get a handle on things, maybe hang some sets etc.
Twas quite a contrast to a year ago when lack of rain meant very little in the way of crops. This year, there was seemingly wheat and some picked soybeans everywhere on and around the ranch.

We spent the bulk of mornings/afternoons glassing from vantage points and via GMC while installing any blinds/ladders midday depending on wind directions.

One buck was sighted on our first morning that got us reasonably excited - a mile from the ranch but headed the right way. Numerous bucks were sighted on a river bottom wheat field over the next few days so we'd begun to formulate a game plan for the opener - I'd hunt the ground closest to where saw the good buck the first day and dad would guard the river bottom wheat field.

About an hour in, I had a cool encounter with a young buck that with all that pasture, decided to nearly walk over my boots. I knew he was going to bust me so I figured I'd capture some video:

Dad would see nearly continuous all-day activity (due to an impending storm) and passed on this stud of a 3.5 y/o 8pt a couple of different times.

TBC

Originally Posted by stealthgoat

stealthgoat--I had strict orders from my guide. "Don't shoot that 8ptr, he's a young deer" so when you have the best WT guide at your service, you learn to listen to him. Typically my hunt consists of, "Dad, sit here and look that way. AND look at the body not the damn rack!"
[b]
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Whelen Nut------looks like you can shoot a rifle as well as you can that Browning O/U. Real nice buck---Merry Christmas---Bob

Thanks Bob. Hope your season was a success. Merry Christmas, to you also!
Posted By: JPro Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Originally Posted by stealthgoat

I agree on both! Sounds like a great time.
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice bucks, rifles, pics and write up.
Skane - you have 2 pics I believe of Bolt actions, mind giving some specs?
Enjoyed the posts. Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks!

The brown/stainless is a factory SS BDL configuration 7SAUM in a Bansner stock / TT Trigger. I'd originally purchased the BA to build a 350mag and, ummmm, made the mistake of shooting it. blush

The other is a 6mm Creedmoor with 1:8 #3 Bartlein @ 22" in a Grayboe Terrain stock / TT trigger. It's a TANK in the Grayboe stock (45oz) but I'm not climbing mountains with it. I've shot the 103 ELD X in it the last couple of years and they work really well as long as I stay off the shoulder. eek (I like to utilize all the meat from the deer) I've shot a couple with the 95 LRX and will likely use that one for filling doe tags again in the future.
Congratulations. Looks like you had another successful trip to Kansas. Best part is spending time with your Dad sharing the experience together.
Originally Posted by Judman

Judman--I'm pretty sure that old arthritic non-typical is the one I was trying to get four years ago. His rack was already plenty screwed up then. Fortunately, for both of us, he didn't give me the opportunity until after my tag was filled. He was at least 2-3yrs. old then. I didn't realize it could be him until after we found him.

Paul

Bet y'all had a great time back together.

Great hunt as Scott so well documented and narrated.

DF

DF, Bob is always with us when we are hunting in Kansas.
Posted By: texken Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
my nephew (lives in Wichita) pheasants hunts that area, I grew up 150 miles west
Posted By: Petro Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
I keep trying to get my old man to go with me.... he hates to hunt.
Well done Scott !

Always look forward to your hunting trip story.

Never disappoints.
Originally Posted by texken
my nephew (lives in Wichita) pheasants hunts that area, I grew up 150 miles west

Never pheasant hunted up there, but have seen roosters running across the road.

It's cold when the wind blows, which is most of the time. Many moons ago, I asked my father-in-law if the wind ever quit blowing. He thought for a moment then replied, yeah in the evening when it's about to change direction. That area is quite a contrast from Louisiana, but has its own natural beauty.

Last night, we had a strong wind blowing here in LA, could hear it whistling around the house. My wife made the observation that it reminded her of KS. I asked her if she ever got home sick for KS wind. She said "no"... wink

DF
Congrats to you and your dad. Nice pics and great story. I look forward to your pics every year.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Great report (as usual) - congrats on the bucks!
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

That big 8ptr seems to have a taste for Cubans! Pretty sure he was puffing on one when he strutted by me at 30yds on the West wheat field after my tag was punched. grin

laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by tzone

Tom--It's always a surprise there. Never know WTH you are going to see there but knowing the possibility for a shooter to show makes it very interesting and exciting! I Always enjoy seeing the Bobcats and eagles. The skunks, not so much! laugh

I like them for the other critters as well. Well, maybe not the woofs. laugh
Originally Posted by Petro
I keep trying to get my old man to go with me.... he hates to hunt.

Mine'd probably go with you. laugh

It's cold when the wind blows, which is most of the time. Many moons ago, I asked my father-in-law if the wind ever quit blowing. He thought for a moment then replied, yeah in the evening when it's about to change direction. That area is quite a contrast from Louisiana, but has its own natural beauty.

Last night, we had a strong wind blowing here in LA, could hear it whistling around the house. My wife made the observation that it reminded her of KS. I asked her if she ever got home sick for KS wind. She said "no"... wink

DF

Funny you say this - yes, the wind is ever-present.
We experienced one day that was a true aberration with very light wind - I'd worried hell had frozen over so I documented the event for posterity. LOL
But the wind sure is a blessing in the summer months.

Posted By: ChipM Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/14/20
Great write up and pics. Like the palmation on your Dad's deer, both are impressive
I always enjoy your posts, and that is my favorite kind of country to hunt in. Love that kind of terrain. Open ground with brushy ditches, my idea of heaven.
Awesome bucks, beautiful country to hunt deer in! It is great that you appreciate the opportunities and write up these great memories. Thanks for taking the time.
Posted By: pullit Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/15/20
Great read and congrats to both you and your dad. Stack those yotes up deep and tall
Nice bucks, congrats 👍
Way to go Scott,
You guys are in the gold on that location, great job and congrats big time!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/16/20
That is always a great hunt. Hope to hunt Kansas for deer soon.
Per the norm - excellent bucks!

I'm pretty sure that "young buck" would have an issue if he walked up to me grin
Posted By: SKane Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/20/20
Originally Posted by bwinters

I'm pretty sure that "young buck" would have an issue if he walked up to me grin

laugh laugh
That was one of the few bucks we saw with any regularity. I'm hoping he sticks close to home in the coming year so dad gets another look at him - though I don't think a pass will be granted. LOL
Posted By: Lonny Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/20/20
Well done Kane Crew! Always enjoy it when you share this yearly adventure.
Good hunt Scott...Stoked you’re still slaying good bucks with your dad.

😎🦫
Posted By: cfran Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/21/20
I love you stories and pictures Scott, priceless on many levels.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Kansas Hunt With Dad / 2020 - 12/21/20
Great Story Scott, and beautiful deer!

Congrats to both you and your dad!

I was over near Leon yesterday, and the lay of the land is just outstanding. Surprisingly hilly for prairie. God's country for sure!
Thanks for sharing your hunting story, this year from Kansas.
It's always a great time when one get's to hunt with your father.

Great family time, memories to last a lifetime and more.
© 24hourcampfire