Home
Posted By: Soup .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
Guys ,
Does anyone use the .243 out to 300 yards or even 275 yards on a regular basis ? I'm talking about WT deer 150-200 lb class .
Do you find it efficient and effective at that range ? What bullet do you use , and if the range was consistently closer say 40-100 yards would you opt for a different or lighter bullet ? Suppose the game was yotes or fox or woodchucks ??

Thank you .
Bill
Posted By: Blackheart Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
Not regularly but my longest kill ever was 440 yards with a .243. One shot and done. Deer went maybe 30 yards before it collapsed.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
In my neck of the woods, 150-200lb deer are not big deer. A 243 is my minimum on deer when shots will stretch to 400 and beyond. I'm sure 22 cal bullets would work, particularly the long, heavy ones being made nowadays, but I am more comfortable shooting deer with 22 cals out to 350, tops. Any problems I've had with 243 on deer out to 400 have been my shooting error, and not the performance of the bullet. I use bullets of at least 100 grains with at least a decent BC. I've used the same setup when deer have popped up closer, under 50 yards. It was even more effective. I've shot coyotes and rock chucks, but no foxes, with the same setup, with quite dramatic results. Bullets have been Nosler Partitions, Hornady BTSP, Speer BTSP, Hornady A-max, Hornady BTHP. Maybe a few others, but I don't recall. There may be better options that are lighter. That's just what I used.
Have a pair of 243's that have accounted for 14 elk with 100g NPt's. Plus 2 deer, a bear, and 6-7 pronghorns. From 40 yds to 375 yds. Mostly in the hands of youngsters.

Now that I think of it, the pronghorns were killed with 90 and 95 g NBT's, and a couple with 100g NPt's.
I've seen enough deer killed by my daughter with an 80gr TTSX, that I would absolutely use it out to 300 yd and beyond.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
Have shot multiple does out to 400 almost every year. Killed a 8pt last year a little over 400. None went far at all

95nbt or berger 95vld. Neither have let me down from point blank to 400 or so. Used the 105 for a while. Ran out and went back to the 95’s

I hear great things about Hornady 105hpbt but I have never used it.
Posted By: 65BR Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
Killed many with a 6mmBR......furthest 400 yds.....

2/3 the size of a 243.

105 Amax at 2850 muzzle, double lung, golf ball sized exit.

95 Nosler BT is my all around fave in any 6mm. Used on 2 deer in the BR, also in 243.

Shot placement with a good 90-100 gr bullet......son dumped one at 300 with an 85 Sierra BTHP, did a lot of damage.....

Posted By: unahunt Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
tough to beat a 95gr Nosler BT or 105gr Scenar, they just flat kill near or far.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
In my neck of the woods, 150-200lb deer are not big deer. A 243 is my minimum on deer when shots will stretch to 400 and beyond. I'm sure 22 cal bullets would work, particularly the long, heavy ones being made nowadays, but I am more comfortable shooting deer with 22 cals out to 350, tops. Any problems I've had with 243 on deer out to 400 have been my shooting error, and not the performance of the bullet. I use bullets of at least 100 grains with at least a decent BC. I've used the same setup when deer have popped up closer, under 50 yards. It was even more effective. I've shot coyotes and rock chucks, but no foxes, with the same setup, with quite dramatic results. Bullets have been Nosler Partitions, Hornady BTSP, Speer BTSP, Hornady A-max, Hornady BTHP. Maybe a few others, but I don't recall. There may be better options that are lighter. That's just what I used.

+1

I've used the 105 AM and Horn BTHP a bunch, and they both have worked well, though the AM is softer. But at close range (< 300 yards) I am a fan of the 80gr TTSX.
Posted By: szihn Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
I think my longest deer kill with a 243 was about 250, but I did kill several over 300 and one past 400 with a 6MM Remington, which for all realistic uses is not enough different to see any better effects in the field. Might have been 80-100 FPS faster at the muzzle. but I seriously doubt any deer could tell any difference at any range.
That was in the 70s and 80s, but I am sure the 243s of today has a few more good "deer bullets" than I had available in the 70s. So I'd vote for it as a totally fine 300 yard deer shell.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21
Plenty of punch for a 200# animal, even 250#.

Give me an 85 grain Nosler Partiton, 85 grain Sierra Spitzer, 85 grain Speer BTSP, 90 grain Accubond or Ballistic Tip, 95 grain Partition or Ballistic Tip or any of the 100 grain soft point bullets and I would have no issues to 300+ yards.

Even a 250# deer is a small critter and they don't take much to kill.

Farthest shot I have witnessed was 2 shots at a quarter mile fence across a hay field. My bud killed both the buck and doe.

The larger 8 point fell at the shot and the doe traveled maybe 10 yards. 2 100 grain Sierra Gamekings from a Ruger 77V did the trick.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/01/21

Watch "Kasandra Cow elk 688yds. With 243 mp4" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/hY0w1c-gf18
Posted By: Sherwood Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
Yes, I hunt pronghorn antelope out upon the Great Plains of South Dakota and Wyoming where shots tend to be very long. I've downed many of these amazing animals with my slide action Remington in .243 and have experienced 100% success. None got away. In my opinion, .243 bullets weighing 95 grains are at least as deadly as any 25-06 bullet known to exist. This opinion is based upon observations and not theory. .243 is a keeper!

Sherwood
It'll work perfectly for you.
Posted By: rost495 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
I'd not blink twice to at least 600
Posted By: GreggH Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
Complete confidence at 300 with a .243.
GreggH
Posted By: Judman Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
Bill, I’m so sorry, if you gotta ask this, maybe you should stay in your seat with your diaper, and wait to [bleep] yourself... god damn er
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
You lucky ones. In Germany the 243 is illegal for anything but juvenile wild boar and roe deer. In Austria, right in the neighborhood, the 243 is successfully used on red stag/red deer and chamois of course.
Posted By: RinB Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21

Holy bucket !
Posted By: Soup Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
Judman ,

My question was several fold . I just received the Ruger No1 and thought perhaps I could acquire some first hand information from folks who use the .243 on a regular basis . Also other then for woodchucks my shots at WT Deer can go from in the woods at 40-60 yards to a field shot of 200 yards. I'm trying to figure what scope to choose ,

If I have offended you in some way , you have my deepest sympathy !!

To all those who gave me some great positive information I thank you very much .

Semper Fi
Bill
Posted By: keith Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/02/21
We shot Nebraska corn fed bucks, 200+ lbs, 300-375 yds 95g partitions

Kansas bucks, 200+ lbs, 100g Hornady btsp none made it past 40 yards, shots were between 200-350.

Now today we R#26 with the 95-100g doing 3200 out of 243's

When living in Az, I shot cow elk with 100g partitions with great success.
Posted By: Centennial Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/03/21
I have had good luck on mule deer with the 243 Win in several rifles at ranges from 50 to 250. I've settled on (and trust) the 95g SST for center mass broadside lung shots. Deer act like every other center mass lung hit in other cartridges.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/03/21
Originally Posted by Centennial
Deer act like every other center mass lung hit in other cartridges.

Funny how that works.
Posted By: FWP Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by Soup
Judman ,

My question was several fold . I just received the Ruger No1 and thought perhaps I could acquire some first hand information from folks who use the .243 on a regular basis . Also other then for woodchucks my shots at WT Deer can go from in the woods at 40-60 yards to a field shot of 200 yards. I'm trying to figure what scope to choose ,

Semper Fi
Bill

Soup

I have been using various 243's for many years. My first chuck gun was a 243 with a 10X scope. Many different rifles and variable scopes followed. Although I have scopes capable of more magnification I usually shoot at 10X max for chucks. I use the higher magnification for sighting in and testing loads.

Today if I was putting together a 243 to be used for deer and chucks I would mount a 2 to 10X variable. A 2 X 10 would give you practical magnification for deer and chucks.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/04/21
I killed two coyotes at 548 does that count? No deer with a 6mm beyond 400 though...
Posted By: rost495 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/04/21
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
You lucky ones. In Germany the 243 is illegal for anything but juvenile wild boar and roe deer. In Austria, right in the neighborhood, the 243 is successfully used on red stag/red deer and chamois of course.

No one said Germany was smart. Unfortunately we are headed the same way of stupidity in many ways.
Posted By: Clynn Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Bill, I’m so sorry, if you gotta ask this, maybe you should stay in your seat with your diaper, and wait to [bleep] yourself... god damn er

Totally uncalled for BS .
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Originally Posted by Clynn

Totally uncalled for BS .

It may have been uncalled for, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good suggestion.
Its damn shame a guy can't ask a question without that kinda crap . How many new guys see that and never post because of it . Its BS .
Its damn shame a guy can't ask a question without that kinda crap . How many new guys see that and never post because of it . Its BS .

The damned shame here is that nobody actually seeks to gain understanding anymore. They just ask online. It hurts to have to research, gather facts, and reason things out. It hurts bad.
Posted By: MGunns Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21

+1

The damned shame here is that nobody actually seeks to gain understanding anymore. They just ask online. It hurts to have to research, gather facts, and reason things out. It hurts bad.

That doesn't hold water either. Asking questions is trying to gain understanding.
Posted By: horse1 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
85gn TSX is a great "all-purpose at any range" projectile and I've had an easy time getting them to shoot in a wide range of rifles. Kimber, Rem, Savage, Win, Wby Vanguard. You should find good accuracy between 3100-3300fps.

Any variant of 4350, '19, '17, Ramshot Hunter, WW760/H414 will all get you there.
Posted By: southtexas Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21

I thought asking for the experience of others, and sharing your experience with others was what platforms like this one are for. And wouldn't asking for input from others with experience be part of one's "research"? I have my own opinion of the 243, but I find it valuable to hear what others think.
243 will absolutely do the job at 300 yards on any whitetail deer. I have seen several killed at that distance. Saw one shot at ~450yds with an 80g TTSX. We had to track him a little bit more that normal but he still died
Originally Posted by southtexas

I thought asking for the experience of others, and sharing your experience with others was what platforms like this one are for. And wouldn't asking for input from others with experience be part of one's "research"? I have my own opinion of the 243, but I find it valuable to hear what others think.

Can I haul a couch in my truck? I got it at a garage sale. What do you think?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
243 will absolutely do the job at 300 yards on any whitetail deer. I have seen several killed at that distance. Saw one shot at ~450yds with an 80g TTSX. We had to track him a little bit more that normal but he still died

To be expected when you shoot something as tough as a railroad spike at a small critter. Especially at extended distances.

Granted I have no experience w the monos because I see no need for them on something as small as a deer.

Funny how people say these copper bullets make a smaller caliber kill better but in my experience a cup n core at 2800+ fps that sheds a bit of weight kills like lightning.

Could be from a .224 to .308 caliber, same shot placement w equal bullet construction results in the same kinds of kills, rather quick w minimal tracking.

I think you're a funny fellow...

And I think that a) there are stupid questions, b) people would actually begin to think for themselves a bit if required to do so, and c) that if a guy is wondering about a widely used cartridge's effectiveness at widely shot ranges, that the guy may either be in over his head, so to speak, or no one has scolded him for inanity. To each their own, really. I answered his question, but the answer I (and others) gave is irrelevant. No new understanding was transmitted. Just a lot of rehashing of widely-understood information and opinions. The relevant questions, the why and the how, have yet to be discussed. So again, inanity.

So what about this couch thing? Can I haul it in my truck or not? Sheesh. Help a guy out, already. Or maybe you should be worried that someone asking this question is serious, as he shares your road system.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403

To be expected when you shoot something as tough as a railroad spike at a small critter. Especially at extended distances.

Granted I have no experience w the monos because I see no need for them on something as small as a deer.

Funny how people say these copper bullets make a smaller caliber kill better but in my experience a cup n core at 2800+ fps that sheds a bit of weight kills like lightning.

Could be from a .224 to .308 caliber, same shot placement w equal bullet construction results in the same kinds of kills, rather quick w minimal tracking.

100% agree. If I knew I was going to make a lot of shots on game from that distance the TTSX would not be my bullet of choice. From 450yards it basically just poked a 6mm sized hole in him. I like mono bullets but they aren't perfect for everything like some claim. Bottom line is "most" rifle cartridges will get the job done on "most" game as long as you make a good shot and have the proper bullet construction.

And I think that a) there are stupid questions, b) people would actually begin to think for themselves a bit if required to do so, and c) that if a guy is wondering about a widely used cartridge's effectiveness at widely shot ranges, that the guy may either be in over his head, so to speak, or no one has scolded him for inanity. To each their own, really. I answered his question, but the answer I (and others) gave is irrelevant. No new understanding was transmitted. Just a lot of rehashing of widely-understood information and opinions. The relevant questions, the why and the how, have yet to be discussed. So again, inanity.

So what about this couch thing? Can I haul it in my truck or not? Sheesh. Help a guy out, already. Or maybe you should be worried that someone asking this question is serious, as he shares your road system.

So if it was such a juvenile question:

A), why did you jump right in an provide a helpful answer, and then 5 days later decide to bash the guy for being so ignorant?

B) Why have there been so many others who have responded with their thoughts, experience and opinions, without condescending remarks?

C) If the topic is below you, why not just roll your eyes and move on? Why the need to take a shot at someone asking (in his opinion) a legitimate question?

Perhaps there needs to be a panel of "experts" to screen questions before they can be posted, so as not to annoy those more knowledgeable?

Or perhaps there should be an "advanced" forum for the intelligentsia. There could be tests required to pass before one would be allowed to post.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore or take pot shots.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Get along fellers, bigger problems in the world to worry about than what somebody else posts on an internet forum.

So if it was such a juvenile question:

A), why did you jump right in an provide a helpful answer, and then 5 days later decide to bash the guy for being so ignorant?

B) Why have there been so many others who have responded with their thoughts, experience and opinions, without condescending remarks?

C) If the topic is below you, why not just roll your eyes and move on? Why the need to take a shot at someone asking (in his opinion) a legitimate question?

Perhaps there needs to be a panel of "experts" to screen questions before they can be posted, so as not to annoy those more knowledgeable?

Or perhaps there should be an "advanced" forum for the intelligentsia. There could be tests required to pass before one would be allowed to post.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore or take pot shots.

I didn't say it was "a juvenile question." Learn the words I used They are well-used and are of the common English. Then we can talk. The only point you have made here is that you are stupid. Perfect addition to a pointless thread.
Oh, you said "stupid questions" I made the giant leap to "juvenile questions". Pardon me. Have a nice day.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Get along fellers, bigger problems in the world to worry about than what somebody else posts on an internet forum.

Exactly. All that drama over asking about shooting a deer on a hunting forum. I hope he doesn't ask about bullet construction or optics advise!.....lol.
Posted By: irfubar Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21

Yes on the couch.... here at the campfire a fine curb couch is a status symbol...... and if you happen to reside in Texas, you need to build a platform 10' above the truck bed for the couch.... uber

As far as the 243 I think a few deer have succumbed to it even past 400 yds.... choose a good boolit and go forth a slay.... and the bickering? get used to it smile
Posted By: Soup Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge .
The .243 was left to me from a friend , all I ever used for WT Deer in PA was a .35 Rem I bought when I came home from the war . Then a .30-06 , lately I've been using a Sako Finnwolf in .308 Winchester . The .308 shoots very well with Sierra 165 in front 4350
My luck has been better in NJ with a Savage 220 slug gun .
Sorry if I irritated anyone .
Have a nice weekend .
Bill
Posted By: GreggH Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/05/21
Soup
You are well equipped with your friends rifle. If you reload grab some 90 grain Nosler BT and kill any deer you want. If not grab some Federal blue box or Remington 100gr CL and you are good to go.
Monos are good but really not needed. Enjoy your rifle.
GreggH
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
Longest deer kill for me with a 243 Win. 95 grain Nosler B/T at 460 yards. Gee that was a long time ago. (31 years I think)
Posted By: Judman Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
Judman ,

To all those who gave me some great positive information I thank you very much .

Semper Fi
Bill

Thanks for your service Bill. Get out and kill some shiit, wanna be impressed, load some 55 nbt at 4000 and get back to me.. 👍🤣😘
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
Judman ,

Semper Fi
Bill

Thanks for your service Bill. Get out and kill some shiit, wanna be impressed, load some 55 nbt at 4000 and get back to me.. 👍🤣😘

Something about when you hit 3900-4000 schitt starts to get pretty dramatic in the kill department.
Posted By: GreggH Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
Jud and 10’ . Had never entertained the idea of the 55 gr BT’s. Had good luck with them ?
GreggH
Posted By: Kaleb Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
I have toyed with the idea of setting one up that way. Something really fast and flat out to 300 or so would cover over 90% of the critter shooting around here.
I have a friend that lives in South Texas, member here that can chime in if He wants, that I have seen make called shots, at improbable distances, to me, with a .243 and hand loads. Those distances are far in excess of the original question. His go to hunting rifle for most things is a .243 Ackley. He has no trouble killing things. miles
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
Originally Posted by GreggH
Jud and 10’ . Had never entertained the idea of the 55 gr BT’s. Had good luck with them ?
GreggH

I haven't personally used them and guys I know that use them are using them on coyotes.

I do know of 3 guys that use 70 grain Ballistic Tips on coyotes and deer though, they say it's like lightning hits them and they also claim a large percentage of pass throughs.

That 55 may be a fuzz light for anything other than extended distances, smaller deer or head/neck shots.

I wouldn't be scared to try them on a deer out past 200 and neck or lung shots only in open country.

Pretty sure plenty will disagree but I know my own abilities.
Isn't reading and asking on Places like this research?

Or I can buy some random bullets and start shooting things, wounding them and trying a different one til I find one that works, leaving a trail of wounded animals as I learn on my own?

Give me a break. Places like this are research, ya just have to filter out the bs
Posted By: atse Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/06/21
I killed a lot of critters with 70 grain ballistic tips. 100s of coyotes, a couple dozen wolves, a bunch of deer including a 174" mule deer at 300 yds. Four or five black bears as well. Great bullets. I have since went to a fast twist barrel and 105s for the last several years, and killed a lot of things with it as well. It beats the lighter bullets in the wind past about 250 yds. The 243 is a real killer. Shoot with confidence!
Posted By: BigNate Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/07/21

[/quote]
Can I haul a couch in my truck? I got it at a garage sale. What do you think?[/quote]

My guess would be probably not. Your truck may be capable, however.........
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/07/21
I’ve killed half a dozen from 296 to 436 yards with a 6 creedmoor pushing a 90gr Sierra Gamechanger. All had nice exit holes and none made it more than 30 yards.

Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/08/21
Originally Posted by BigNate

Can I haul a couch in my truck? I got it at a garage sale. What do you think?[/quote]

My guess would be probably not. Your truck may be capable, however......... [/quote]
Thanks! I give so many, many fuucks about the opinions of morons who found their way to internet forums. I will proceed accordingly.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/08/21

The .243 or .243 A.I. Far exceeds the exceptions, of most shooters and hunters, with the right loads and bullets it's great 1000 yard rifle, and a very effective hunting round, it's a kind of old school lady's and kids round that will out shoot most of the big boy's. Funny How That Works . Rio7
I've killed a few ND deer with my 243, couple bucks and a doe with 100 grain soft points. Shots have been 50-200 and it has proven to be effective. Have shot a handful of coyotes with it as well. I've always liked the 243
Posted By: Hal4son Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by GreggH
GreggH

I haven't personally used them and guys I know that use them are using them on coyotes.

I do know of 3 guys that use 70 grain Ballistic Tips on coyotes and deer though, they say it's like lightning hits them and they also claim a large percentage of pass throughs.

That 55 may be a fuzz light for anything other than extended distances, smaller deer or head/neck shots.

I wouldn't be scared to try them on a deer out past 200 and neck or lung shots only in open country.

Pretty sure plenty will disagree but I know my own abilities.

I'm running 55 Sierras on coyotes. If you stay off bone, it looks like lightning killed them. I don't think I'd try them on our little 100 pound blacktails. Though they'd likely work if you slipped it in the pocket and stayed off the shoulder. The 55 NBT is a slightly tougher bullet when compared to the sierra.
Posted By: Seafire Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/19/21
have taken them that far with that round.... I have several 243s...

bullet each time was either 90 or 95 grain Ballistic Tips.. I shoot both...

Fueled with 4064, right at 2950 fps MV...
Posted By: BEN243 Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/19/21
Seafire ... you have a private message.
Posted By: Blueboy Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/19/21
Have taken them with 100g Hornady BTSP out to 230 yds and DRT.....and will completely penetrate a piece of 1/4 inch steel at 300 yds and beyond, so a 300 yd shot on any deer that walks is likely a dead deer if the shot is placed in the boiler room.
Posted By: 308ld Re: .243 Win. @ 300 yards ? - 02/19/21
Judman ,

Semper Fi
Bill

Bullets..95 PT, 95BT, 95 Federal Fusion, 100 Hornady Interlock.

Scopes on a No.1 that I have used. Zeiss 3-9X40 conquest MC, Zeiss 4X MC, Burris older 3-9X40 FF (not the FF II) all will fit in low Ruger rings. I do think the Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10X40 will also fit but may need medium rings.

By far, in my opinion the Zeiss 3-9X40 MC Conquest looks right at home on the No.1B. And the 3-9X40 MC Conquest has a constant 4" of eye relief from 3 to 9 power.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire