Home
Hello folks,

I think I am in the market for a “semi” soft shell(quiet) set of clothes. Something that is high quality, for all around use. I am not worried about it being super warm, as In recent years layering with the right stuff surely has made all the difference vs. a jacket and bibs 2” thick.

Must Haves: Light in over all weight, with light to moderate insulation, that remains semi water/windproof. This doesn’t need to have a plastic lining, but I’d like it to shed some water.

Annoyances: Fabrics that are the “sticky” Velcro sounding fabric that clings to trees/different textures..am I the only one that hates this?

I may be asking for something that doesn’t exist, but for the first time in my life I want to invest some money into a set of pants/bibs and jacket that are worth a chit.

Am I better off with a waterproof jacket/pants and layer accordingly, or is there something out there that is a fairly weather proof with light to mid weight insulation that still allows layering if necessary?

I appreciate everyone’s time,

MK
Kuiu Guide jacket and pants will do what you want.
Not to steal your thread but also something that does not get ripped to pieces by briars. We got briars down here that have never been used before and they will tear you up.
Most of the up scale jackets seem to be scaled for the very thin and tall. The arms seem to be long and no room for something like a hooded sweatshirt underneath. Jordan does this jacket have any room or is it a body hugger?
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Most of the up scale jackets seem to be scaled for the very thin and tall. The arms seem to be long and no room for something like a hooded sweatshirt underneath. Jordan does this jacket have any room or is it a body hugger?

It's an athletic fit, so I order a size larger than my usual so I can layer a bunch underneath it.
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look. Though depending on activity level, may be a bit too warm, especially during early season. If so, the Dalibor line might be the way to go. You could actually have both and not spend what you would for the prestige names.
Johnson woolen.mills panta and ll bean jacshirt
I have a kuiu guide jacket I will sell if you want to give it a whirl at a discount.
it is grey, not camo. XL Hooded.
Originally Posted by CBB15
I have a kuiu guide jacket I will sell if you want to give it a whirl at a discount.
it is grey, not camo. XL Hooded.

Love my kuiu Have sitka, first lite too

I would look at skre, pnuma too. Skre is having a sale now. Their softshells are decent good buy for the money.

I picked up one as. back up and hunted some this year in it and have hiked quite a bit in it to in rain, wind, snow. Go one size up

https://skregear.com/product/hardscrabble-jacket-mtn-stealth/

great pants for the money

https://pnumaoutdoors.com/collections/pnuma-outlet/products/tenacity-pant
I appreciate the suggestions. I’ll avoid wool I think, it’s not the resistance to weather I like..waterproof until it’s..not.
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look.

Plus 1 on this. Used my Vellus last year in late elk hunt here in AZ and it was very comfortable, warm, and quiet.
Temps ran in upper teens to mid 30's range in morning and evening.
Supposed to be water proof, but I was dry the entire hunt so no thoughts there.
It was windy most days and it kept the wind off very well.
I have added several other Kryptek pieces (couple of vests and a puffy jacket) and they all seem to be of very good quality.
They also fit my old very (un)athletic grin body comfortably. I am unfortunately not "athletic" enough for the KUIU line.
A new favorite and much cheaper than some of my other name brand hunt clothes.
Joe

PS- I found the camo pattern they use is surprisingly good too.
Originally Posted by MK257
I appreciate the suggestions. I’ll avoid wool I think, it’s not the resistance to weather I like..waterproof until it’s..not.

Will will keep you warm even when wet. I prefer it over almost anything for stand hunting.
Originally Posted by tzone

Will will keep you warm even when wet. I prefer it over almost anything for stand hunting.

There is truth to that, and wool is warm, not arguing that. Like most “non”-waterproof materials though it gets extremely heavy when wet.

What wool brands are folks using now? I know the cabelas style wool is actually quite nice for the money.

Looking into kryptek now.
Layered kuiu or Sitka beats wool without even trying when it comes to weight, warmth and staying dry when it is wet out....
https://www.camofire.com

camofire has soft-shell layers, pants and puffy on sale today. Good basic starting clothes

Ive done quite a bit of coyote hunting, ice fishing in these bibs the past few months. Sitting in wind, light rain, cold, snow , fairly water proof( for not being rain gear) , quiet, comfortable. Great deal for the money

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/59

By the under wear layers, vest, puffy, pants for early season, and you're set for most conditions under $300

Originally Posted by MO2AZ
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look.

Plus 1 on this. Used my Vellus last year in late elk hunt here in AZ and it was very comfortable, warm, and quiet.
Temps ran in upper teens to mid 30's range in morning and evening.
Supposed to be water proof, but I was dry the entire hunt so no thoughts there.
It was windy most days and it kept the wind off very well.
I have added several other Kryptek pieces (couple of vests and a puffy jacket) and they all seem to be of very good quality.
They also fit my old very (un)athletic grin body comfortably. I am unfortunately not "athletic" enough for the KUIU line.
A new favorite and much cheaper than some of my other name brand hunt clothes.
Joe

PS- I found the camo pattern they use is surprisingly good too.

Out of all Kuiu,SItka and First lite they use the absolute best synthetic cloth for that particular line. Shoeller Cloth.

Nothing wrong with GOOD Wool either.
Originally Posted by ribka

camofire has soft-shell layers, pants and puffy on sale today. Good basic starting clothes

Ive done quite a bit of coyote hunting, ice fishing in these bibs the past few months. Sitting in wind, light rain, cold, snow , fairly water proof( for not being rain gear) , quiet, comfortable. Great deal for the money

By the under wear layers, vest, puffy, pants for early season, and you're set for most conditions under $300

Hmmm, those are quiet, eh? I have coveralls but need a set of bibs. The matching jacket of similar quality?
Originally Posted by goalie

Hmmm, those are quiet, eh? I have coveralls but need a set of bibs. The matching jacket of similar quality?

Pretty quiet especially for somewhat water proof. I would archery hunt out of stand with them I
Like zippers go all the way up legs, chest pocket can stick hands in for quick warm up, plenty of pockets . Jacket great for the price too.

I was all all afternoon in 20 degree weather ice fishing and comfortable . Comfortable to walk in too, not bulky

Pretty quiet especially for somewhat water proof. I would archery hunt out of stand with them I
Like zippers go all the way up legs, chest pocket can stick hands in for quick warm up, plenty of pockets . Jacket great for the price too.

I was all all afternoon in 20 degree weather ice fishing and comfortable . Comfortable to walk in too, not bulky

How's the sizing?

I'm a tad over 6', 185-190 depending on winter fat. Large should fit from the chart
sizing isaccurate. large should be fine for you.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Just watch camofire . They're usually on sale a few times a month or I have called them directly after sale ended and if in stock can still purchase
As a LONG time wool person, I will agree on the kuiu. Darn good stuff, lite, easy to pack. Make sure you get a hood.
CGPAUL

You also used the guide jacket/pants?
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Kuiu Guide jacket and pants will do what you want.

Yep. Great option.
And plenty of solid colors to choose from (I'm the anti-matching-uniform-looking sort). laugh
Order a size larger to layer beneath.
I wasn't anti-Sitka...until I wasn't.

I bought 1/4-zip fleece lined pull-over this fall. I think it's supposed to be for waterfowl hunting but I used it for deer. I put it in my pack and put it on when I started to cool off. The thing is great. It's damn near too warm. It's not something I'm going to move around in that's for sure. I ordered a 3x so it will fit over my other clothes and it's still pretty big. I'd say they're sized for that already.

I do think I'd like the Kuiu Guide Jacket. But, I prefer non camo for my stuff. Those usually sell out pretty quick.
Well, I had the opportunity to look at some of the Kryptek. The Vellus realistically does all I am asking, BUT- the jacket I handled seemed heavy to me, and I wasn’t overly impressed with the condition it was in after a few seasons. This gentleman hunts hard...real hard, but I wasn’t sold on the overall ruggedness of the material, he agreed on that- was this a bad example?

Many arrows pointing Kuiu- trying to handle the guide series next.

M
I used to be a wool guy. Especially for stand hunting. Then I tried Sitka and my wool sits in the closet. I use my Jetstream for much of what you are looking for (active elk hunting in late September through most of October antelope and mule deer and waterfowl. If it is too cold for that, I put a Sitka Kelvin vest under it. If it is really cold, I use the Sitka Incinerator. With those 3 things, I can cover everything down to MN firearm whitetail stand hunting with no problem.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look. Though depending on activity level, may be a bit too warm, especially during early season. If so, the Dalibor line might be the way to go. You could actually have both and not spend what you would for the prestige names.

I have a Kryptek Jupiter medium size rain jacket that I kept. It's usable barely, but I should have returned it. To begin with I'm skinny, 6 feet/165#, and even then, the sleeves are WAY too tight. No room for anything warm. I told them of this but I bet they shrugged about the fabric cut. I would not buy another garment from them. Profit, ya know.

For non-camo, research climbing soft shells like Marmot, NF, Black Diamond, Raab, etc. ad infinitum. Very light, very durable.

King's Camo makes superb softshells for decent prices.
I know nothing about Kryptek, Kiui, or Sitka, but my impression is that they are fairly pricey. If you want to go cheaper, Carharrt makes a zip-up Rain Defender hoodie. I was out in a steady rain (think green on the Doppler radar) for about 45 minutes yesterday and, although it looked like it was soaking wet on the outside, it was completely dry inside. Looks and feels like a sweatshirt, so it is soft and quiet. Mine was a gift, so I don't know the cost but pretty sure it will be less than the brands named above. Just a thought.
Well, I had the opportunity to look at some of the Kryptek. The Vellus realistically does all I am asking, BUT- the jacket I handled seemed heavy to me, and I wasn’t overly impressed with the condition it was in after a few seasons. This gentleman hunts hard...real hard, but I wasn’t sold on the overall ruggedness of the material, he agreed on that- was this a bad example?

Many arrows pointing Kuiu- trying to handle the guide series next.

M

Kuiu is top of my list but you didn't mention budget in your initial post
So many hunting garments are noisy like a potato chip bag. You grab the sleeve, kinda wrinkle it and it crackles. Or it sounds like a zipper when it rubs against itself.
Wool was a top contender for cold weather gear about the same time a 308 was a contender in long range shooting. A lot has changed since then.
I still wear wool. Deer don't seem to smell me when I am wearing it and don't see me as often. Lots of times I have deer that are not the one I am looking to shoot walk right under my stand. Don't want them blowing and.alarming the others.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I still wear wool. Deer don't seem to smell me when I am wearing it and don't see me as often. Lots of times I have deer that are not the one I am looking to shoot walk right under my stand. Don't want them blowing and.alarming the others.

Um, I have that happen wearing jeans, Carhartt jacket, and an orange vest.

Movement matters. Colors not so much.

Scent control is easy in modern cloths, jeans, or wool.

In the end, wool and other "old style" options work, but are 2-3x as heavy and bulky. If your hunting involves hiking, that matters. A lot.

In a stand, I don't worry about bulk or weight, I just worry about noise and warmth.

The bibs came up again. I ordered the bibs and matching jacket for less than the price of a Sitka hoodie.

Thanks!!!
😉
The only wool I have used is Filson. I quit buying hunting clothes when I bought what I wanted from them. It has lasted great and does what I want.
The wool alternative products originated with those who were climbing around on mountains....often in harsh conditions. They quickly understood that a Filson Double Mac was just about the least appropriate material and type of clothing to enable them to perform and survive in a highly strenuous activity And often in nasty weather. It didn’t take long for the serious Backpacking crowd to see they were right.

Filson does makes some decent Upland gear...

I like KUIU, I wear their Attach pants everywhere. I can't imagine hunting or hiking in pants that do not stretch ever again. I used to wear wool all of the time but the KUIU stuff is a fraction of the weight and very comfortable.
I still have Filson wool bibs and a Sleeping Indian wool jacket, if it's a short walk from the truck, very cold and no climbing, I'll wear the wool occasionally.
I’m looking to buy either a KUIU Guide Jacket or Axis Hybrid for Michigan bow and rifle season. I’ve read a few reviews on other sites that KUIU is more designed for western hunting but it sounds like from what I’m reading on here that it holds up fine to woods and brush hunting. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again!!!

I got the bibs and jacket and am rather impressed.

Thanks again. Got the set. I'm more than pleased
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’m looking to buy either a KUIU Guide Jacket or Axis Hybrid for Michigan bow and rifle season. I’ve read a few reviews on other sites that KUIU is more designed for western hunting but it sounds like from what I’m reading on here that it holds up fine to woods and brush hunting. Does that sound about right?

It does but somewhat noisy moving through the brush still hunting. It's all about having the right gear for the right conditions.

I love wool for dry cold conditions for outer wear. Its warm and quiet but somewhat heavy. It there is heavy precipitation, or you are covering a lot of ground still hunting in wet conditions I would steer away from wool.
I think it's a good buy and good gear when it's on sale.

I like their cold weather gear on sale

Thanks again!!!

I got the bibs and jacket and am rather impressed.

Thanks again. Got the set. I'm more than pleased
© 24hourcampfire