Home
So I’m pondering and frankly curious about what others consider their go-to or most confidence inspiring combo (Caliber & Bullet) for deer hunting Mule, Whitetail, Blacktail, Coues etc) no Elk. No Moose, No predators.

Obviously we don’t all hunt the same but that doesn’t matter in this case - it’s personal. Chips are down, opening day in in 8 hours you have 2 spots picked out, who cares what your buddies say, what are you carrying?

Where do you hunt & Why?

What combo(s) are you 110% confident will do the job on your deer this year?

* Admittedly cabin fever has reached its max with a topic like this but warmer weather is on the way and hopefully sanity will follow.

Pints
308win 165gr federal fusion. It shoots nice groups on paper and kills wt deer pretty dead
Tikka t3 7mm mag, Berger 168 vlds
Ruger 77 Varmint 6mm Rem. w/ handloaded 90 gr. Accubonds
Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard in .257wby. 100TTSX. Super accurate and deer dont run.

Opening say of gun season is doe days and a lot of people in the woods. i have a couple of thickets I get in and 50 yards is a long shot. most people don't like thickets where I hunt so i'm alone. I will probably use one of my Marlin's with peep and post this season. I will be using 200 gr. Sierra round nose in 35 cal.
Whitetails for me here in GA, I use a 338 Fed with Hornady 200gr SPs. If I am going west for mulies or elk, then it is either that gun or a 7mm-08 with 139gr Hornady IBs.
7X57 with 140 grain Partitions and a 257 Rob.IMP.40 degree with a 100 grain Partition as a back up.

They have worked for years but sometimes i take the 45-70 and 41 mag.
270 pump and a 140 of any flavor.
30-30, 150g silver tips. in a 1926 savage 99 takedown. because it works.
Sako A7 300wsm 165 gr Grand slams 66 gr IMR 4350
Works great for pronghorn to bison.
Going Remington 81 in 300 Savage with 150g Core Lokt this year.
The new to me 6.5-300 Weatherby will be the WA opening day deer rifle for me loaded with a 127 gr TTSX factory load. For my Colorado hunt, the .300 Weatherby Mark V will be the opening day elk and deer rifle. After an elk is down, the 6.5-300 or 7x57 might finish the hunt. But things can change.....
35 whelen. 180ttsx
Winchester M70 fwt, .280 Rem, 150gr federal power point.

Because it makes tiny groups and big holes and dead deer.
If I go to my honey hole I may get shots out to 450 yards. I have shot deer at 403 yards so far there.
I trust several of my rifles out there. Remington 700 sps in 270 wsm loaded with 150 grain Nosler Bt's, 140 grain BT's or 130 grain Partitions.
Rifle 2 is my Savage Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor with 103 grain ELDx bullets. It is proven to 380 in that same spot.
Custom build .257 AI with 115 grain Partitions. I got the 403 yard one shot kill there with this rifle.
If I go to the mountains first day I will be in thick stuff. I will take the Ruger 77M Compact in .308 with 150 grain BT's.
I will probably take the 30-30 with open sights and 170 grain Winchester FP for if I have to drive.
Remington 700 30-06 and a 180 grain SST
My 257 wby. 100 TTSX.
284 145 Speer btsp
For Alabama whitetails a 700 xcr2 ,270 win ,Mcmillan edge stock ,VX3 3.5-10x40 in Warne bases and rings ,Timney trigger ,Remington corelokt 130 gn. Rifle fits me nice and it shoots good. Kills everything I hit. My ranges are 100-220 yards most under 150. Back up rifle is a MCR X2 7mm08 with an older swaro 2.5-10x42 in Talley LWs shoots Federal BT 140gn into tiny groups nice rifle but a touch heavy for my taste and stock is a bit thick in the forend for my hands like it but dont love it but it works. On a side note I carried a backup to camp since 1986 and laughed at myself a few years ago as I never used my backup but this year I dropped my 700 scope first onto the rocks and didnt have time to shoot it before the next day so it was great to just grab the backup and use it with confidence. Turns out I didnt really need it the 700 was still zero’d after the drop on the rocks.

For Ohio I will use my Marlin 444 with a Vx3 1.5-4x20 unless I can find a 350 Legend rifle to suit me. If I do I will likely mount a VX3i 2.5-8 I got collecting dust on the shelf. .444 is a fun rifle to shoot but Im not keen on lever guns and would prefer a bolt. Works pretty good on them deer.
In my home state: Marlin 336, 35 Remington, 200 grain Core-lokts.

Out of state: Sako AII, 308, 165 interlocks
On The Opener, I carry a Savage 99 in 308 WIN with a 165 grain Hornady IL over H4895. In the afternoon, I usually switch to a Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 with the same 165 grain Hornady IL. The difference is that one rifle is set up for deep woods treestand work, and the other for open fields from a ground blind.

The reason for this choice goes back to shooters.com days. I'd just started reloading, and I was asking for a good load for an upcoming boar and deer hunt in the Hill Country of Texas. The hunt got cancelled, but the load stayed. When I got my Savage 99, I used the same bullet and downloaded to a 300 Savage-ish velocity.

I've taken the #1, #3, and #5 camp records with these loads.
In the Mn. northwoods, .270 win. 130 Barnes TTSX
Out west, 280 A.I.145 Barnes LRX
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
So I’m pondering and frankly curious about what others consider their go-to or most confidence inspiring combo (Caliber & Bullet) for deer hunting Mule, Whitetail, Blacktail, Coues etc) no Elk. No Moose, No predators.

Obviously we don’t all hunt the same but that doesn’t matter in this case - it’s personal. Chips are down, opening day in in 8 hours you have 2 spots picked out, who cares what your buddies say, what are you carrying?

Where do you hunt & Why?

* Admittedly cabin fever has reached its max with a topic like this but warmer weather is on the way and hopefully sanity will follow.

Pints

In your scenario of grab and go I have one definite choice. It is a Winchester model 70 in .30-'06. The rifle is a WallyWorld special with push feed, the cheap plastic stock, and blind magazine. It is more accurate than such a rifle should be. The only rifle of mine I've shot more is an M1 Garand. I've never needed a second shot with this rifle. The scope is a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with a German #1 reticle in Leupold dual dovetail mounts. I've used other ammo in the past, but currently it's the Sierra 150 gr. SBT/IMR4350 at 2900 fps. The hunting is in the woods and hills of Michigan's U. P. where shots over 100 yds. are rare.

I like to try different things, but if I need something that I don't have to ponder about this is it.
6.5 x 55 swede, 140 interlocks--- why? Because it always works
Our farm, 280 Rem with 150 BTs or 270 Win with 130 Pro Hunters or Interlocks; northern woods my 358 Win with a 200 Sierra.
Either the 257 Roberts with 100 grain Sierra Gameking or the 25-284 with Nosler 115 CT BT.
GreggH
I rotate through the safe most years, but the most used is always the Ruger 77 MkII 257 Roberts with one of my dwindling supply of 100 Interlocks. With it I've taken whitetail bucks into the 160s B & C and several antelope at up to 400 yards. Always works
Lately it's been the MK II 9.3x62. It is a woods hammer. 286 NP over 58 grains of RL15 and a WLR primer.
Tikka T3 in 260 Rem; SWFA 3-9; 139/136gr Scenar. Haven't been disappointed yet.
7-08 or 260 Rem and 120 TTSX
Like my Savage.308 model 11 with Hornady American Whitetail 150's and CVA Scout .45-70 with Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr FTX.
It depends on the weather and where I've seen the best sign.
Last deer season was the first I hunted without my Uncle Hank who got me started so I took the Winchester 94 NRA Centennial 30-30 that he left me for sentimental reasons.
Usually I take my 30-06 loaded with Hornady 165 grain SP because the deer ain't going anywhere but down when I hit them with that.
The remington 280 mountain rifle with nosler 140 BT has been a go to opening day gun for the last few seasons. But I think it will be replaced with the new to me 280AI this upcoming season the bullet is yet to be determined either nosler 140 BT or maybe Berger 175s.
Hunt mostly western SD prairie and Black Hills..

Model 70 classic 270 Win and 130gr bullets. Interlocks, BT's, T/TSX, GMX. They all work.

Also have a lot of confidence in my 338-06 with 200gr Ballistic silvertips.
My newly acquired 6.5x55 with 129gr Interlocks is showing promise after one deer last fall.

Come on, true looney fashion can not pick just one!
Originally Posted by Mgw619
308win 165gr federal fusion. It shoots nice groups on paper and kills wt deer pretty dead

I don't care what else they say, you have good taste in ammo! The 165 gr Fusion load is all I use in my .308 Kimber Montana these days.
i just need some tag's then I'll think about rifles, but I've got a 358 wcf and a 35 Remington just waiting to go!
If it's raining or snowing a stainless rifle. If it's not a blued walnut. 243/7mm-08/30-06 depending on my mood. Corelokts in the 243s, Nosler 120gr BTs in the 7-08s, and Hornady 165gr flat base Interlocks in the 06s.
This is easy - "Well, haven't used this one in awhile....."
280 imp with 150 Nosler BT’s has been my go to for the last 8 years or so.

This coming year I’m going to take a 6.5 Grendel mini Howa. Haven’t played with bullets yet. May just stick with factory SST’s.
260 Rem with 120 ProHunter......unless I can get powder and components and go back to 140 Gamekings ( best ever)
Remington 700 lh 3006, HS precision stock, Leupold mark 4 scope, shooting my hand loads with 165 grain partitions, fusions or interlocks.
Originally Posted by bluefish
Lately it's been the MK II 9.3x62. It is a woods hammer. 286 NP over 58 grains of RL15 and a WLR primer.

Love to hear more about this rifle/load
Originally Posted by shaman
On The Opener, I carry a Savage 99 in 308 WIN with a 165 grain Hornady IL over H4895. In the afternoon, I usually switch to a Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 with the same 165 grain Hornady IL. The difference is that one rifle is set up for deep woods treestand work, and the other for open fields from a ground blind.

The reason for this choice goes back to shooters.com days. I'd just started reloading, and I was asking for a good load for an upcoming boar and deer hunt in the Hill Country of Texas. The hunt got cancelled, but the load stayed. When I got my Savage 99, I used the same bullet and downloaded to a 300 Savage-ish velocity.

I've taken the #1, #3, and #5 camp records with these loads.

I’ll have to remember that load - I’ve got a 1957 version of a 99F in .308. Love the gun but it has t found its place yet.
M70/ .270 WCF/ 150 gr Speer GS.

The meat gitter.

GR
Marlin .30-30 shooting a 160 grain Hornady Leverevolution.
My .243 Win, shooting 90gr Accubonds. Why because everything else is overkill. Making popcorn and waiting for the replys!! lol
Put about any decent bullet tight behind the front leg and go dress out the animal. Duh.
.300 Savage,Remington core-lock and WHY they fit my Savage Model 99 wink
15lb '74 Shiloh Sharps 45-110 bull barrel rifle, 518gr paper patch bullet over Lord Black, why? my old Buddy Bill Bagwell loved that rifle, he also gave me that Ed Tilton bullet mould, i know he'll be looking down and smiling. smile
For deer (and antelope) only?
I use the following but on my larger more powerful rifles from my 9.3s and up, and 44 and 45 cal handguns I make no adjustment from deer up to buffalo. I simply use what the gun is zeroed for. Far more then needed, but so what. They still kill the deer.

My choices would follow.
223 60 grain Nosler Partition
25-06 120 grain (made in the early 80s) Remington Core Lokt or 110 grain Nosler Accubond
6.5X54 M/S 156 Gr PPU round nose
6.8SPC 110 grain AccuBond
270 Winchester with scope, 130 grain WW power Point and from my iron sighted 270, 150 grain Round Nose
30-30 170 grain Remington C.L.
308 Winchester 150 grain WW power Point in my bolt action and 180 grain WW power Point in my auto
300 Savage 150 Grain Remington CL in my Savage 99 and 180 grain Nosler BT in my M81 Auto
30-06 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt or 150 grain Nosler B.T.
300 Mag. 200 grain Speer Hot core
7.62X39 123 grain Wolf Factory Soft Point Ammo. The only factory load on the list. All others are handloads
303 Brit 180- gran Remington CL. (my bore is .310 but I use .308" bullets and the rifle shoots them very well)
8X57 170 Gr Hornady SST
35 Remington 200 grain Round Nose Remington CL.
358 Winchester 180 Grain Speer F.P.

357 Magnum 187 Grain WFN GC LBT Cast Bullet
44 Magnum 320 Grain WFN GC Cast bullet
45 Colt or Auto-Rim 265 grain LBT WFN
454 Casull 370 Grain LBT WFN GC

50 cal flintlock. Cast ball, .490" and 80 Gr of 3F
62 cal flintlock Cast ball, .610" and 140 grains of 3F

In the list above the only loads that I have not killed deer with (so far) are the 223 and the 358 Winchester but if I get a shot at a deer while I am carrying one of those 2 rifles, those are the loads/bullets I'll use.
There are MANY others I have used in the past to kill deer, but no longer own those guns so I didn't bother to list them here.
Wild hogs are plentiful here in Florida. I'll reach for my 30-30 carbine loaded with 170 grain Power Points. Because it works!

Sherwood
Originally Posted by bluefish

Love to hear more about this rifle/load

LH MKII SS 270 rebarreled with a no 3 Douglas finished at 24 inches. Talley sling swivel and NECG ramp front sight. The load runs out near 2450 or so and shoots nicely. Had the factory laminate stock slimmed down and had LOP lengthened a d pitch angle changed. I have a ton of faith in it. It's fast to the shoulder. Cerakoted in Armor Black with a 1.5 - 4.5 Leupold VX 2 scope. She needs a name. Has a little sister in 7x57.
My Win. Model 70 in 280 A.I. shooting hand-loads with 140 gr Sierra Pro Hunters at 3120 fps. My go to deer rig and load for almost 30 years.
A .277 caliber 150 grain bullet with some R26. Because it is very accurate and penetrates well.
First year AE Model 94 Winchester in 30/30, with 150 grain hand loads.
Ruger # 1 27 inch brux barrel 257 Weatherby ,Nightforce scope, 115 Berger VLD bullets > reason its fast, smacks big bucks hard ,shoots accurate a long ways out too
Ruger American Ranch in .300 blackout with 110 gr Barnes. Very accurate rifle and a joy to carry with a little 2-7 scope. Very confident out to 150 yards, or about twice as far as I can shoot from my favorite opening day stand.
Remington 870---12 gauge-----2 3/4" Winchester 1 oz slugs------I hunt in Ohio with my brother.

The same rifle/cartridge that I’ve used for everyday during every hunting season since 1990! Reasons: very effective from the muzzle to far beyond a distance I will shoot an animal, and I have a lot of experience with that rifle. If you use the same equipment for 30 years you get pretty comfortable and proficient with it! memtb
My first opening day usually involves a 300 gn Barnes expander in front of Blackhorn 209. Usually gets one.
Rifle usually the 300 Wby with a 180 Grand Slam.
7mm Rem Mag. Handloaded 160 gr Nosler Accubond.

Why? Because it is accurate and it untracks them right there!
Hope to have a 99 in 338 Federal if Shilen will get the 338 barrel shipped to ctw. Also have a 99 in 284 to try out.
Well if I go hunting it will be in Michigan. So it will be my knight muzzle loader, or if I get it done my knight in the shortened 45/70!
Always have 2 or 3 rifles ready to go..... depending on what happens.
That way our crew has a spare if someone's rifle/scope fails.
We hunt where shots longer than 100 yards are rare.

Last year opening day rifle: 7 x 57 with 150 gr Partition.... sporterized Mauser.
back up piece was 270 with 130 gr Interlocks..... pre-64 Model 70
#3 is 300 Savage with 150 gr Interlocks 1960 Savage 99 featherweight.

The first two are better in narrow deer stands cuz they have plenty of length to fit across the rails.

the Savage is what i would use if i am gonna be moving a lot.

Several times i have switched rifles in the middle of the season to change my luck.... and it worked.
This year it will be my Model 7 7-08 pushing 145 gr. Speer BTSP's to 2700 fps. Hard to figure a better deer rifle for the country I currently hunt.
I started hunting when I lived in NW Colorado and my only centerfire rifle was a .30-06. I loaded 150 grain Hornady spire points for deer and 180 grain Sierra GameKings for elk. Bock then our deer and elk seasons were concurrent and many times I'd hunt them in the same area so sometimes I'd shoot my deer with a 180 grain Sierra or shoot my elk with a 150 Hornady. They both worked.

Then a few years after I moved to Montana I built a .257 Ackley for deer and antelope, shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKings or 120 grain Hornady HPs. That's been my primary deer and antelope rifle for over 40 years. I also used that rifle with 117 grain Sierra's for all of my mountain sheep, one of my best 6x6 bull elk, and my mountain caribou.

It doesn't matter if it's opening day or the last day of the season, I use it because it works!
This year, it's going to be my 6.5 PRC, loaded up with Berger VLD 140's. Whitetails along the Arkansas River. My farm is my hunt area.
Either the Ruger American 22-250 with Federal 62gr barrier blind bullet or the 6mm Creedmoor with an 80gr GMX.
6.5 with 140 amax or 147 eldm. If I have to walk farther or go steeper, I'll shave weight by using the 120 BT's or 120 TTSX's....
Opening day Whitetail Nebraska/Kansas or any day after I hunt heavy timber river bottom, creek bottom and deep coulees. I have had best success on bigger bucks sitting stationary and waiting for morning shooting time. Wind is key to getting close and I have shot whitetail as close as 15 yards catching in thick cover looking to bed. I shoot a Win Big Bore 444 Marlin (225 gr Barnes XPB at 2K fps, 2.5x20 Sightron scope). I will pickup around 10:00 am. I will go out again around 3:00 pm and glass corn, bean and wheat fields through end of legal shooting. I take my 308 WCF (6x40 Springfield Armory scope) in the afternoon with 165 gr SSTs for shots at 200-400 yds. After shooting hour ends I stay out through to darkness to observe fields and it never fails biggest bucks show up well after shooting time. Rut gives a good chance on some that throw caution to the wind during shooting hours, but mature whitetail bucks are so crafty and paranoid and don’t much like daylight or dusk, especially under hunting pressure. BTW the doe whitetails are fairly easy to tag with this method of hunting.

Mule deer in Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming is all glassing morning to evening. Firearm of choice is 7mm Rem Mag with 140 grain NBT. Those leave the barrel at 3,250 fps and are devastating on mule deer and pronghorns 200-500 yards.
If I’m not looking for style points and just need to get the job done, then it is my M700 BDL, factory stock cut to 13 1/4”, trued and bedded, with a Vari-x III 3.5-10. Shooting 100 TSX over 54.0grs imr4831.

It’s called the Meat Gun for a reason. I bought it back in college and I cannot tell you the amount of game it has killed. I have not had to make a single adjust to the scope in over 10 years. Shoots 100 gr NBT to same POI.

It is just a straight killer.
Originally Posted by rickt300
This year it will be my Model 7 7-08 pushing 145 gr. Speer BTSP's to 2700 fps. Hard to figure a better deer rifle for the country I currently hunt.

I took a deer this year with this very cartridge combination. Gun shoots them great as was bullet performance.
After making the long drive to Michigan's UP, on opening day I'll be perched in my 20 foot high tree stand. The stand overlooks 700 yards of clover and Rye, with a swamp on one side and a high ridge on the other. My favorite stand in Michigan, or Virginia!

My Tikka CTR, chambered in 6.5 CM will be waiting for another big buck to step out into the open after a hot doe. The 143 ELDX is my bullet of choice. The last 17 white tails haven't liked it one bit!😁
I only hunt deer in the Adirondacks. Mostly from a stand. Little still hunting sometimes. Opening day and most of season will be Kimber Montana in 257, handloaded 117gr RN. If it had a tang safety it would be the “perfect” rifle in my opinion. Tikka superlite in 7mm-08 might see the woods this year.
350 Legend with a 150 Grain Winchester Deer Season XP. We can't use bottleneck cartridges for deer in Ohio. My 350 is good to at least 150 yards. 100 yards is a long shot where I hunt.

Ron
FN-98 in 275Rigby with 120gr NBT and Varget.
Originally Posted by Mgw619

^^^^ This in my Tikka T3X with its 20" barrel.
Hard to say which cartridge and rifle I would use on opening day. Would depend a lot on which day of the week it was and what time legal hour's started! :-)
6.5 Creedmoor using either 140 grain Federal Fusions or 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. They both shoot to nearly the same point of impact.
Adirondacks big woods.

Kimber Montana .358 Winchester.

Leupold VX-R 2-7 Firedot

225 Nosler Partition handloads.
Hey NY Rifleman
I also like the 225 gr Partition bullet.
I am going to try BL-C2 or maybe H335 but if you have info about some of your tests and favorites loads with the 225 grain bullet I'd love to hear what you have learned.
The 225 Nosler Partition is outstanding, but so far I have not received any feedback on what powders and charges the folks using it in the 358 are using. Reports back from users of both the 358 W and the 35 Whelen are uniformly excellent, but I am looking for comments on powders and charge weights for the 358. I know what the bullets can and will do.
308, 99 savage, older vx2 3-9 with whatever blue box I grab 150 or 180 and whatever bullet they load.
Winchester M-70 Classic Sporter in 30.06 loaded with factory Hornady 165 grain Interbonds. I don't think Hornady loads them currently, but I bought enough to last me a good many years when I determined the rifle shot them well. Or my new to me Ruger American in 300 Blackout loaded with Winchester XP Deer Season 150 grain loads.
Opening day or shortly thereafter.

Wisconsin Whitetails - Savage 99-A 250-3000, 87 gr Speer Hot-Cor

Michigan Whitetails - Marlin 336-C 30-30 Win., 150 gr InterLock Hornady American Whitetail factory.

Montana - Mule Deer 7x57 mm 154 gr Hornady InterLock
Whitetail, Mule Deer. New England, Alabama, Montana.

Either....

308 Winchester, 150 Nosler Accubonds.

257 Roberts, 100 Nosler Partitions.

Both are proven killers out of my Ruger Hawkeyes.
Originally Posted by szihn
Hey NY Rifleman
I also like the 225 gr Partition bullet.
I am going to try BL-C2 or maybe H335 but if you have info about some of your tests and favorites loads with the 225 grain bullet I'd love to hear what you have learned.
The 225 Nosler Partition is outstanding, but so far I have not received any feedback on what powders and charges the folks using it in the 358 are using. Reports back from users of both the 358 W and the 35 Whelen are uniformly excellent, but I am looking for comments on powders and charge weights for the 358. I know what the bullets can and will do.

Szihn,

I have been using TAC in the .358, a load I Mule Deer wrote about a while back.
A tricked out 700 Mountain SS chambered in 280 shooting Hornady 150 ELD-X anmo. I just like the whole setup and shoot it really well.
30-06 and a 150 grain bullet
First off, It's a long time before Opening Day here so I'm likely to change my mind for various reasons.

Right now I'm planning to use this one. It's been a few seasons since I used it so it's back in rotation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rem Model Six, 30-06 with 165 HBTSP; why, because it works 0--400 yds.
It's a sentimental fav because it makes me think of my Dad. a 760, 06 was his only rifle for many years.

My second rifle (as of now) for this season is this.

Win 70 Black Shadow 300 WM 180 HSP -
I hunted this rifle exclusively 08, 09, & 10

This is the first deer I shot at with this rifle in 2008.

He weighed 194 #, my heaviest so far.
I killed multiple deer those 3 years, mostly bucks. I do remember 1 Doe at 399 yds.

I don't need it but..... I like it.

Jerry
Gonna be two....a TCR 7X65R 150gr core-lokts and second a 1895 30-40 bullet TBD but thinking 170gr FP
Why? Cause I can ! And cause I bet I won't run into anyone else doing the same!
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Marlin .30-30 shooting a 160 grain Hornady Leverevolution.

Do those up for you? I gave up on them in my 44 mag B92. Shot well but...never seemed to anchor anything.
Thanks for sharing! Love the photos & sentiments for sure. I’ve got a Rem 721 in 30-06 that I take out the last day of every season in memory of my grandpa.
Midwest, whitetail, woods.
35 rem w Hornady 200gr FTX factory ammo.
Remington 760 w Leupold 2-7x ( had a straight 4x before ).
Have a 3006 Stey prohunter that hasnt been blooded yet.
3.5-10x and it puts cheap WW 150gr SP into an inch at 100.

Good enough.

Got a 700 w HS stock in .243 w a 3-9x and have yet to see how it does w WW Deer Season XP 95gr.
Hunting the Catskills in NY. Remington 700 ADL 30-06 with 165 Ballistic Tips. I’ve had the rifle for 30 years and it’s always dead on.

If I know I’ll be hunting the thick stuff I use a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem with 200 Grain Hornady FTX bullet by that is going to change to a Browning BLR in 308 with 165 Ballistic Tips this year.
There isn't a single gun in the vault that we aren't 110% confident in. Including rimfire and small handguns. Distances and shots would have to be limited on every last gun we own regardless.

Yeah, not what you wanted, but we dont' keep anything not reliable.

What do we grab? Whatever floats the boat that trip. But lately 6.5 creed moor shilen tubed with a suppressor. Its been good to over 600 easily and whacks targets of opportunity IE rocks and such out to 1000 pretty regular. Just about like the 308 we used to run that I moved to AK for use up there now.
Tikka 695 in 280. Deadly accurate with good bluing and synthetic stock. Little Zeiss I got from here. I used to hunt from mainly wooden shooting houses, now mostly metal houses. I've always bumped the stocks while climbing into these stands and I don't feel as bad with the synthetic than bruising some nice wood.
my left hand tikker t3x 6.5 man bun, 4.5-14 zeiss conquest shooting federal blue box 140 soft points. it just works on our missouri whitetails
will be in the texas hill country with my roessler titan in .243. Now with lupy VX6 2-12. have been shooting 100gr interlocks the last few years with great results so will probably stick with that but may work up a ttsx load to mix things up.

CVA Wolf, 370 grain maxi hunter, just because
Waiting to pick up a 350 legend Henry single shot for WV. I think I’ll like

Where do you hunt & Why?

Pints

A lot of times it's not about the cartridge, but more about the rifle. For me anyway..
To paraphrase -

What are you carrying? SS M70 All-Terrain FW, iron sights + 2.5-8x36 Leupold, 180 gr NPT, 57.0 gr H-4350. If I end up in country where I have to climb or expect to walk a lot I may take my Montana.

Where do you hunt? Wherever I can pull a tag. I hunt blacktails, whitetails and mule deer plus other species. Blacktail is likely the most challenging these days.

Why do you hunt? I like being outside. Love stalking game. Rifle shooting is my favorite activity. Love turning the animal into delicious food.

What combo(s) are you 110% confident will do the job on your deer this year? I have at least 10 combos I have absolute faith in. I take one of those for a backup.
Mines still a P64 Featherweight 270. The 130 Trophy Bonded Tipped have worked well for me. Might use some 130 BBCs this fall.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Favorite rifle I own...
In the distant past, there was no question. I'd be taking my 03 with 180 grain CL's - later 180 grain Hornady IL's - usually H4895.
Now I try to take a different rifle each year. I'm thinking either a 358 Win - a 700 rifle or a 375 Win in a 94 for next year, depending on where I get a license.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Mines still a P64 Featherweight 270. The 130 Trophy Bonded Tipped have worked well for me. Might use some 130 BBCs this fall.

Favorite rifle I own...

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Nice north woods looking whitetail right there. The .270 just does about everything right and is so darn adaptable to its task.

Favorite rifle I own...

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Nice north woods looking whitetail right there. The .270 just does about everything right and is so darn adaptable to its task.

Thank you, I’m kinda fond of it whistle
I've stabled my magnums over the last 10 years and use one of my trusty .308's for deer even for our open country hunting...still works always has ..Barnes 130 gr TTSX loaded to 3010 fps

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice buck. Congrats.
Great Buck!

Favorite rifle I own...

Damn, nice buck and sweet rifle Big B, didn't know you had a 270 FWT, i have the litter mate to that one, a simple gloss 2-7 leupold does a fine job guiding the 150gr NPT's, call me crazy, but i can stay in the scope on that rifle, have actually seen deer wince[close both eyes hard] when the bullet hits, they dont like it.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Favorite rifle I own...

Damn, nice buck and sweet rifle Big B, didn't know you had a 270 FWT, i have the litter mate to that one, a simple gloss 2-7 leupold does a fine job guiding the 150gr NPT's, call me crazy, but i can stay in the scope on that rifle, have actually seen deer wince[close both eyes hard] when the bullet hits, they dont like it.

Bull schit. You're full of it
I’d probably grab my M70 stainless in 30-06 with a Leupold 3.5-10x40. Shoots 180gr Partitions on 57.5gr of H4350 well enough to consistently hit an 8 inch plate out to 400 yards. That basically covers any deer hunting I’d ever do.
It would depend on how and where I'm hunting on opening day, not the fact that it's opening day.

I’m planning on using BBCs this year in it. It’s really my favorite deer rifle. For me it doesn’t get much better than a Featherweight in deer country.

I’m planning on using BBCs this year in it. It’s really my favorite deer rifle. For me it doesn’t get much better than a Featherweight in deer country.

Nice, that'll work, if i hunt mine i'll use the old tried and true 150gr partitions.
Savage 111 in 270 with 150 gr cor- lok. Cause that's what I have used for over 60 year. They just work.
7mm-08 Kimber Montana and 150 Eld-X because I was able to get a few hundred of them lol
Just got it and will be sure to get it bloody this year!
Ive seen my deer take the hit in the scope, all at or under 4x.

Slug guns and couple rifles

In the woods I like 2x. Sold my 4x compact off this one and it now wears a 2-7x

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by hookeye
Ive seen my deer take the hit in the scope, all at or under 4x.

Slug guns and couple rifles

In the woods I like 2x. Sold my 4x compact off this one and it now wears a 2-7x

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Damn right Hook, more often than not a wind change will force a move hunting on the ground, a buck shot in the chest with a 270 on 2x at spitting distance is the perfect setup for impact study, able to see crosshairs on the center chest, looking above horizontal reticle line while still being able to see reticle centered through peripheral, touch trigger looking them dead in the eyes, they will momentarily close, they of course reopen and bust off a short run if able, most drop on the spot.
BTW, nice buck and rifle Hook.

my 2019 missouri buck via my left hand tikka t3x 6.5 girlieboy. broke 140" mark finally. 143 1/8" B&C
DAMN nice buck rockchucker, politics fugged my spirit for hunting last year, with my old buddy Bagwell up and dying may put me on their ass hard and heavy this year.
Hope to use a 280 classic featherweight this year or perhaps my 356 Winchester big bore 94. But I have a house to prep and sell and a new log home to get built this year so I reckon I will be a bit busy.
The 338 Federal model 70 is ready to go and may have to shoulder the duty again this year.
Time will tell.
Les
That’s though choice. Toss up for me
My tikka 6.5 with 3-12 and 130 game changers at just shy of 2900fps
Or TC venture in 270 win 4-12 CDS with140 SST at 3050 FPS
Mule deer. Muzzleloader .50 cal 250gr conical.

Still hunt method to hunt.

78 years old. Solo hunt because who wants to hunt with a crabby old fart?
Winchester Model 70 FWT with Nosler 140 BT and place or condition.
© 24hourcampfire