Home
I need to build a couple of feeder pens to keep the damn pigs away from my feeders. I have a new to me Savage 99 in 284 I need to get scoped, load cartridges, and sight in before next season. It’s 6 months until bow season, 7 until rifle season.

What do you need to get done??

I wouldn’t mind building another pig trap too.
Find a 180" buck to hunt.
Get into better shape.
A favorable wind.
A license
Nothing.

If season started tomorrow I could go.

Jerry
October
Originally Posted by goalie
A license

Overrated.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I need that also!!!!!!
The season to start
Originally Posted by goalie
A license

Already have mine. Lifetime Hunting/Fishing since 2014 whistle

“Maturity” does have a few benefits. grin

Jerry
The Canadian border to open up without quarantine.
Well I don't need much...but I want to do alot..

Get the deer shanty up and ready to use.
Set or reset about 12 stands..maybe 15..depends. on scouting
Shoot the bow.
Shoot the bang sticks.
Scout some more.
Plant thw food plots.
Just stuff I do...all year...non stop...its always deer season.
Originally Posted by jwall
Nothing.

Jerry

Same
i want the family to shoot some big bucks this fall ,i enjoy them to do well .
I stay ready so I don’t have to get ready.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I stay ready so I don’t have to get ready.

Like 'lunchmeat', always ready, same here.

Same here. This will be my 30th deer season I’ve got everything else that I need.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Same here. This will be my 30th deer season I’ve got everything else that I need.

This will be my 55 th deer season

Damn I’m old!!
The farm was timbered about six years ago, and the briars and saplings are thick. Deer heaven, but you’ll need a blood transfusion dragging one out.

But, I need to get in there before it gets too hot and chop a lot of trails to and from my stands, and then go back in about August and put em up.
Couple new clips for my gun
Just for the weather to be right for once. wink
I could go tomorrow. But there was this rifle that followed me home a month ago, I need to work up a load for it.

Dale
I need a tree. So I have a place to put a tree stand.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Need? Nothing.

Want?
- rebuild the ladder/porch on my blind so I can get the grand dads up there with my boys without someone dying.
- work up a new load for my 243
- trim a few trees
- fix the windows and build a shelf in my blind
- probably something else I forgot
I need to shoot in the new crossbow. Scope the mountain ascent, reload for it and shoot it in. Waiting for Giraud to show up so I can reload with it.
All I need is some range time. Just put together 18 different loads for my 308 and need to shoot some groups
Ha! I will be on my usual routine through the summer searching for a few 150"+ Whitetail bucks to hunt this Fall....Good hunting....Hb
Just need to put gas and grub in the truck.
If the season were to start tomorrow, I'd be kind of stuck. I spend a couple weekends well ahead of season dressing the stands and blinds.

Most of the stands have a camo shower curtain to put over the shooting rail. I add foam pipe insulation so I've got a padded rail. The tower blind has a camo skit that goes all the way around. The ground blinds all have camp chairs that we have to deliver. Each hunting venue takes about 15-20 minutes for setup.

We have one new stand that Angus wants to set up at a new location at the far extremity of the farm. It's one of those 2-man buddy ladder. We can roll a truck to within 30 yards of the tree. It's just a matter of getting it up. That will be erected in August or September.

We need to clear shooting lanes at the Lazy Boy blind. The cedars have really grown up.

The neighbor back in the city has recently torn down a privacy fence. If I can get a trailer, I'm thinking of hauling the sections down and using them for another ground blind.

The rest of it is all sorted out. Rifles and ammo? Check. Clothes? Check. All I need to do is load the coolers and stop at Krogers on the way down.
A big, fat, stupid, buck.
I need to find two more spots to sit my guests and put up one or two ladder stands. I need to lose another 40-50 lbs and keep improving my conditioning with my daily walks , bike rides and weekend kayaking. I will need to check my zero on my two deer rifles but I reckon they are right on. If I want to get in the woods a few days early I will need to sight in my ML.
I need an up north place near the cottage where I can actually have a chance of seeing a deer. Between the Wolves and the Indians, both of which get to hunt year round, I saw several Chickadees and a red squirrel opening weekend last season.
Originally Posted by jwall
Nothing.

Jerry

Originally Posted by elkmen1
October

Ya !!!
A place in Pennsylvania to go to.
Wife and I used to rent a "vacation home" from an older couple we were friends with. Really an old, mouse-ridden mobile home on a mountainside in PA, but we loved deer hunting there. Sadly, both recently passed within less than a year of each other. Husband died first, his wife was so heartbroken that she joined him soon after. A real love story.

I've always loved rifles and hunting with them, but here in NJ, it's bows, MZ's and shotguns only.
"Little Ned", my 257 Roberts, is sprouting cobwebs.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Wife and I used to rent a "vacation home" from an older couple we were friends with. Really an old, mouse-ridden mobile home on a mountainside in PA, but we loved deer hunting there. Sadly, both recently passed within less than a year of each other. Husband died first, his wife was so heartbroken that she joined him soon after. A real love story.

I've always loved rifles and hunting with them, but here in NJ, it's bows, MZ's and shotguns only.

Allegheny National Forest.....I don't care what anyone says...there are deer here
I'll be heading down to the hunting camp tomorrow to check on my usual stand. It gets a bit of paint and a good cleaning out every spring. Other than that all the deer hunting gear gets basic maintenance before it is put away. Everything is in the same place every time. Being able to grab gear and go makes hunting much more fun.
Originally Posted by CBB
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Allegheny National Forest.....I don't care what anyone says...there are deer here

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that area.
November.
License and tag, and I can be out the door in 15 minutes.
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
The season to start

Me too.

Though I am going to go whack an Axis in August if my ranch has recovered from the kill-off during the freeze..
deer
Got notice my tax stamp check got cashed today.

Hopefully have suppressor by November.
Some deer!
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The season to start

Me too.

Though I am going to go whack an Axis in August if my ranch has recovered from the kill-off during the freeze..

I've heard that axis meat is excellent
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The season to start

Me too.

I've heard that axis meat is excellent

The best you’ll ever eat of wild game. My first grilling with it, I made burger patties. Figured I’d allow a couple inches for shrinkage so I made them 8”. They came off the grill exactly the same size with zero shrinkage. Began eating them & the juices were a surprise from such a lean game meat.

You would Love it for sure.
Nice, a friend of mine is going after axis this year and is going to pass on some to try. I'm excited to get ahold of some
An email from Wyoming G&F telling me I drew a Muley buck tag.

I'm all set for NY deer season.
License and season to open. Other than that, am good to go.

Now if I draw the special tag I have been applying for....

A whole lot of scouting, shooting, enjoying the anticipation, preparation, and the tag in my pocket.
I’d like to get another 300H&H to hunt with.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Just for the weather to be right for once. wink

4" inches of fresh snow, 23 degrees, and a slight but steady westerly wind would do it.
Cup of coffee and a sleeve of chocolate donuts and all set.
Originally Posted by 30338
Cup of coffee and a sleeve of chocolate donuts and all set.

LOL. Same.
November.
I would love to have a mule deer tag in Utah or Montana though I'll be happy to get to hunt whitetails too. This will be my 60th deer season, so I should be ready with just a little more range time (just to be sure).
I would like to be able to take about 20 years off my age. I am 80 years old and miss it. Still have all the stuff and place to go but my body won’t cooperate.
Originally Posted by strut64
I would like to be able to take about 20 years off my age. I am 80 years old and miss it. Still have all the stuff and place to go but my body won’t cooperate.

I see that coming for me, just turned 68
daylight tomorrow morning

Opening Day.

Absolutely nothing, been at it for 60 years.
All my work done other than deer hunting.
Went to lease in Weirgate to fill feeders yesterday, brought camper back today, loaded jeep to go to lease in Burnet to Turkey hunt a few days, maybe catch some pigs or put an arrow through a pig or Aoudad. The good thing about shooting sticks is no noise.
Naw, you aren't old. This will be my 65th deer season.... E
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Naw, you aren't old. This will be my 65th deer season.... E

Only 53 for me, never hunted until I was 15.
Enough time for the permethrin to dry....
A couple of tags and some better fitness.

About 1/2 hour to change cloths and gas up the jeep. Rio7
Just a tag
A new knee.
Motivation to go out and do it.

Too damn many trespassers putting up tree stands that I have to cut down.

Most of my hunting partners have retired or died and I don't really feel like breaking in a new crew of younger guys and at 65 I'm on the edge of being too old to go it alone.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Most of my hunting partners have retired or died and I don't really feel like breaking in a new crew of younger guys and at 65 I'm on the edge of being too old to go it alone.

Jeff - I'm only a PM away. grin
Life time license, ready to go
Got 2 of the food plots tilled up.

Got the deer shanty base up and cemented in yesterday. Walls went up today.

Don't "need" this stuff to be ready. Just doing it because I "want" to.

Deer hunting is a passion. All aspects, scouting, shed hunting, hanging stands, food plot prep, running cameras...it never stops
Got another 358 headed my way, need scope, get it sighted in.

Re: What do you need to be ready for deer season??

To get a license.
Originally Posted by hanco

Damn, you really have been bit by the ‘99 bug. Must be doing some serious business with Fireballs. .358’s then .284...
I have to admit both intrigue me deeply. The .358 is easier for me to ‘comprehend’, the .284 seems like pure rareum unobtanium, but still intriguing.

To the question, I need :

Time

Deer (life in NH)

A new job and life. Hahaha

Ballz swears by that oddball .284....
I am in no position to doubt his credence, but would sooner look for a .280 R,.... but......
Originally Posted by SKane

I am a lot closer than that............... laugh
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Originally Posted by SKane

I am a lot closer than that............... laugh

laugh laugh laugh
Well, quite a few things. I am not quite a weeek away from getting my second full hip replacement. The other one was 06-30-2020. I am badly out of shape and fat to boot.

Therapy for the next few weeks. Then:Lots of conditioning. Lots of strength training. Bike riding.Getting used to what clothes to wear. Spending as much time as practical outside.

Hunt camp and firearm gear is ready. Vehicles too. Luckily I will have 2-3 reliable patners to help a little if I need it.

Now we need to pull some tags.
I always remember that I need 5 things for deer hunting.

1Gun or Bow
2 Ammo / arrows/broadheads
3 Check wind direction & weather conditions / pick a stand according, decide which door to exit leaving house.
4 Something to eat & drink for the day or the deed is done or I had enough for the early shift.
5 The rest will all fall into place.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by hanco

Damn, you really have been bit by the ‘99 bug. Must be doing some serious business with Fireballs. .358’s then .284...
I have to admit both intrigue me deeply. The .358 is easier for me to ‘comprehend’, the .284 seems like pure rareum unobtanium, but still intriguing.

To the question, I need :

Time

Deer (life in NH)

A new job and life. Hahaha

Ballz swears by that oddball .284....
I am in no position to doubt his credence, but would sooner look for a .280 R,.... but......

Yes, I have the 99 bug, glad I got a few before they cost an arm and a leg. I have a 338 Federal 99 in the works.
It has been about 20 years since I’ve hunted, but I want to get back in the game. Some of my best memories are on a Texas deer lease or a Colorado mountain.

My target is Fall 2022. So much to do - mostly, finding a place and a crew to hunt with.
Need to get the "new to me" 2-7X mounted on Little Ned, my 257 Roberts, and do some handloading.

And really need to get off my duff and get the legs in better shape.
Right now, today ... a tag in my pocket and 20 minutes to fill water bottles and snag some candy bars. My rifle is ready .. likely will get a different scope by deer season but I wouldn't have any more hesitation to use whats on it sighted in right now than I had last year or the year before.

Being in better shape woudl be good but not being in better shape isn't going to stop me.
I’ve got to make it through the summer, we will be working 60 hours a week. The hours and the heat will wear an old guy down.
© 24hourcampfire