Home
Posted By: ingwe Another one bites the dust... - 06/06/21
Developed 'a thing' a few years ago for Axis deer. On a recent Nilgai hunt, the Nilgai didnt cooperate, but a last minute Axis was irresistible. .275 Rigby, of course. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GRF Re: Another one bites the dust... - 06/06/21
Nice!

They are a wonderful animal
Yummy
Posted By: CBB Re: Another one bites the dust... - 06/06/21
Cool deer and nice rifle
Posted By: Joe Re: Another one bites the dust... - 06/06/21
I really like that photo. Good to see the .275 Rigby seems to work almost as well as the 7mm Mauser. wink
congrats
Are you using an outfitter for those?
Sweet!
Beautiful axis! Were you planning on using the .275 for nilgai?
I'm glad I don't have spots. Leopards do and Axis, too, seems to be a common theme. (grin)

And you shoot them.

Nice Axis and the rifle's cool, also.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Are you using an outfitter for those?

Yes.I don't know any other feasible way for a non-resident.

Originally Posted by southtexas

Yes, but the Nilgai didnt want to be seen-or shot- in the daylight.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by southtexas

Yes, but the Nilgai didnt want to be seen-or shot- in the daylight.

Did you forget to bring a flashlight?
Congrats. Nice axis.
Who were you hunting with? Where at? Thanks
Originally Posted by travelingman1

That one was with Bashans Ranch in Dilley Texas. They have bigger ones but he was a last minute thing....go home with a cooler full of Axis or nada..

another one, same place, when I was actually hunting Axis...

Outstanding Tom. Congrats!
Outstanding!!
What do they taste like?
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
What do they taste like?

Its tough to say, as they are unlike any other venison. Have a taste all their own which is generally accepted as being superior to the other venisons.

They are, by any standards, excellent.
That is on my bucket list although I may use a Winchester 7mm Mauser. Congrats! Big or small that have to be the prettiest deer.
What do they taste like?

My small example of 1 axis deer from Hawaii tasted just like any other deer to me. It was good, but nothing special.

I think I may have dull taste buds or something because I absolutely cannot tell the difference between deer, elk, moose, caribou, antelope or whatever else. Pork/chicken/grain fed beef of course are not included in this.
Congrats.....nice Axis. I am flying out today to chase these buggers the rest of the week with three good friends. We will be hunting in the Hill Country. My first time in that part of TX.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
What do they taste like?

My small example of 1 axis deer from Hawaii tasted just like any other deer to me. It was good, but nothing special.

I think I may have dull taste buds or something because I absolutely cannot tell the difference between deer, elk, moose, caribou, antelope or whatever else. Pork/chicken/grain fed beef of course are not included in this.

I've eaten a slew of big game animals from NA and Africa (not moose, nilgai, or eland though). Axis is the best wild venison I've ever had.
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Congrats.....nice Axis. I am flying out today to chase these buggers the rest of the week with three good friends. We will be hunting in the Hill Country. My first time in that part of TX.

We will need an after action report!
What was the Nilgai load?
Originally Posted by mathman

150 gr Trophy Bonded Near Claw

From what performance I saw on the Axis..it would be Easy Peasy to take a Nilgai...
Sounds like a load that could get it done. I'll admit I would have bet you were using a 175 grain something or other.

From what performance I saw on the Axis..it would be Easy Peasy to take a Nilgai...

At what range do you have to start using the Trophy Bonded Far Claw?

Sorry- couldn’t resist.
Veddy nice.
Sure is a pretty animal.
Sounds like a load that could get it done. I'll admit I would have bet you were using a 175 grain something or other.

I would, but the Rigby doesn't like them. Ive had great success with NBTs and That Bear Claw, and no reservations about using either on something bigger.
Originally Posted by JustinL1

Sorry- couldn’t resist.

One does not often get to ZING the Spelling and Grammar Nazi....
Absolutely beautiful cape Tom !!!
Originally Posted by JustinL1

Sorry- couldn’t resist.

One does not often get to ZING the Spelling and Grammar Nazi....

I was waiting for the 'may you smoke a turd in hell'.

Nice axis!! I'll have to keep that ranch on my list for possible futures.
As far as wariness how do they compare to whitetails and mule deer? Is it a pretty challenging hunt?
I can not believe you did not use a 270 Win!!!

Nice kill
Originally Posted by hendricks
As far as wariness how do they compare to whitetails and mule deer? Is it a pretty challenging hunt?

Much more wary than a whitetail, and compounded by the fact they usually travel in groups, sometimes large, and you have ALL those eyes and noses to contend with.

They are normally hunted by spotted stalk or from a box blind...take your pick, but spot and stalk will give you a challenge for sure, and is exciting during their main rut ( June)
Posted By: EdM Re: Another one bites the dust... - 06/08/21
What do they taste like?

Same here with a large variety of critters.
Nice deer. It fuels the fire for my trip the end of September. Maybe not the best time but health factors dictated that time frame. I'll take my 275 Rigby as well probably loaded with 140 NAB and a 250 Savage for the Black buck

Very cool!

Looks like something I'd like to do. Are these free range fair chase hunts? Not judging, just want to know so I can make my own decision.
[quote=PaulBarnard]Are you using an outfitter for those?[/quote and a wheelchair]
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Very cool!

Looks like something I'd like to do. Are these free range fair chase hunts? Not judging, just want to know so I can make my own decision.

You can get them either high fence or low...my hunts have been half and half.
What do they taste like?

They are very tasty. I like Axis better than white tail.
Posted By: SLM Re: Another one bites the dust... - 06/22/21
One of theses are definitely on my bucket list.
open season year around here in Tx. and there are some diy hunts "mulymike" on the thf
Developed 'a thing' a few years ago for Axis deer. On a recent Nilgai hunt, the Nilgai didnt cooperate, but a last minute Axis was irresistible. .275 Rigby, of course. laugh

Good looking buck and great eats right there, congrats.

That one was with Bashans Ranch in Dilley Texas. They have bigger ones but he was a last minute thing....go home with a cooler full of Axis or nada..

I have to say, you look different than I expected..... (grins)
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

See...fooled you all!

You guys always give me schitt about being an old white man! laugh
What's wrong with being an old white man? Says the almost 70 year old. Be Well, RZ.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

See...fooled you all!

You guys always give me schitt about being an old white man! laugh

LOL!
Posted By: CRS Re: Another one bites the dust... - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by EdM
What do they taste like?

Same here with a large variety of critters.

Interesting, as I can usually tell the difference between corn fed, alfalfa, apple, or pine forest fed deer. Not to mention the difference between species.
Congrats!
© 24hourcampfire