Home
Posted By: Benbo Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
I’ve been trying to work up a couple loads for a pair of 25-06’s. One is mine and the other belongs to a buddy. I’ve shot 115NPT and BT, 120 NPT, 117 hornady and Sierra spt bt, and 100TTSX. The sierras have shot best followed by the hornady 117 boat tails…. But ALL of them have completely flown apart when I did them out of the back stop…. Which is a combo of dirt and mostly wood “saw dust”. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them one a doe but if a big buck walks out I’d much rather have a stouter bullet. Any opinions on either the Sierra or hornady bullets? I’ve shot exactly one deer with a 25-06, a doe at about 280 yards with the 117 Sierra boat tail so I’m clearly no expert.

Thx in advance.
I liked the 117 Game King. Shoot em right through the shoulders. It messes up some meat but kills like lightning. Shoot em behind the shoulders and they will cover about 20 yards.

A bud and my uncle really like the 117 grain SST.
In 25 cal rifles, my favorites are the 100TTSX and 110 Accubond. 115 NBTs have also done well, but I've only used them from a bean field rifle and shots were usually in the 300yd range. Have you played with seating depth on the TTSXs? That can make a huge difference, accuracy-wise.
If your un-sure your bullet choice will hold together for close range shots the Nosler patrician would be your primary choice.

I only shoot Hornady bullets in my .25 caliber rifles, the Hornady 100 gr spire point along with the 120 gr HP. The
" discontinued" Hornady ,257 120 gr HP was one of the toughest bullet Hornady made. I just picked up another
backup box from the campfire classifieds a few weeks ago. For a regular cup and core bullet this bullet is tough.

I am presently working up a new load soon using the Hornady .257 117 gr SST bullet as a back up load when my
120 gr HP supply gets critical.

The Barnes 100 gr TTSX is never a mistake providing you the bullet confidence your looking for.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
110 Accubond
Posted By: GreggH Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
Pick one of the mentioned bullets that shoot well and fill your freezer. All of them are more than capable. I use more 100 grain bullets in my 25s. 100 Ballistic tips, Sierra, and TTSX. Only the 25-284 gets 115 BT.
No problems on deer or hogs.
GreggH
I have been trying to get some accuracy out of the Nosler Partitions in both the 115 & 120. I have not succeeded yet about 1.5 inches off the bench, Noslers bal. tip gives great accuracy but penatration is lacking so I am still looking for a bullet that gives me both. We hunt in areas that if you don't drop the deer in his tracks and they make it into the extremely heavy thick brush without a good blood trail there is a good chance you will not find the deer. So I want an entrance & exit hole. Daniel
Daniel have you tried the 115 BT on deer? I have not had any problems shooting through deer or hogs with it. Another thing you can try with the Partition is a slightly faster powder. Seen it help.
Another option is the Accubond
GreggH
I like the 100gr. Partition, it works really well. I DO practice with the 100gr. Sierras (same powder charge, and both loads hit the same POI, so the less costly Sierras make for good practice bullets). I would have no worries using the 100gr. Sierras if it came to that, though (100gr. flatbased ProHunters).

I see little use in using the Noslers for practice when the Sierras hit at the same POI at half the price.
Originally Posted by GreggH
Daniel have you tried the 115 BT on deer? I have not had any problems shooting through deer or hogs with it. Another thing you can try with the Partition is a slightly faster powder. Seen it help.
GreggH

Gregg, yes the BT has been used several seasons and that is why wanting to go to the partition or would try the Accubond if any could be found. The BT is not a problem other than in 2 of the places we hunt. I know that many believe that they could track a deer thru anything but I would like to see them do it in the 2 areas mentioned. The land owner at one place tried looking for a deer with his thermal with no luck. Several of the deer shot with BT's were dead within 100 yds but in the 2 areas THAT IS TOO FAR to track with out a blood trail. WHAT POWDERS DO YOU RECOMMEND ? Daniel
Of the bullets you mentioned, I've shot deer with the 115gr BT and the 115gr and 120gr Partition, along with some others. I settled on the 117gr Sierra Pro Hunter out of my 22" barreled mountain rifle. I've gotten a lot quicker kills on whitetails with this bullet, than with the Noslers. I always got good penetration with the Partitions, the Sierra just seemed to kill faster. I normally use IMR 4831, but have used RL 22 also.
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
GreggH

Gregg, yes the BT has been used several seasons and that is why wanting to go to the partition or would try the Accubond if any could be found. The BT is not a problem other than in 2 of the places we hunt. I know that many believe that they could track a deer thru anything but I would like to see them do it in the 2 areas mentioned. The land owner at one place tried looking for a deer with his thermal with no luck. Several of the deer shot with BT's were dead within 100 yds but in the 2 areas THAT IS TOO FAR to track with out a blood trail. WHAT POWDERS DO YOU RECOMMEND ? Daniel

A high forward shoulder shot will solve all of your tracking issues. Any bullet will work for this.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
We used the 115 combined technology in ours, basically a 115 NBT. Killed over a dozen animals with no issues at all with them. Bull elk, mtn goat, large whitetails, mule deer, antelope all died quickly with them. Need to get that one out again sometime.
Use the Nosler Part. 1.5 inch groups are fine for all reasonable ranges on deer-sized game, at least that's the way I see it.
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
GreggH

I understand what you are saying about tracking. Tracking blood trails in a pine forest with a good pine straw carpet under it gets to be fun real quick. Try IMR 4831 if you have any. I have had really good success with the 25’s killing game (more in the track kills than any other caliber for me)but If I have a dire need to drop a deer where it stands I shift the cross hairs to the base of the neck. Hogs get head shot almost exclusively.
GreggH
100 TTSX
110 grain AB is my favorite 0.257' diameter medium game bullet as it provided a nice balance of accuracy, penetration, and speed potential.

Previously, I used 100 grain BTs and the three partition weights depending on case capacity.
I’ve only shot deer with the 115 Partition and 110 Accubond and they have both done the job well.
For accuracy the Sierra 117 btsp and Hornady 117 btsp and 120 hp are right up there along with the 115 Berger. I haven’t used those on deer but would have no qualms doing so.
Since the late '70s my favorite rifle for deer size critters has been my .257 Ackley. My handloads are very near to .25-06 velocities, and I've killed many deer and pronghorn antelope with 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullets, 115 gr Nosler BTs, and 120 gr Hornady HP bullets.

The bullet that I've used the most and that has killed the most animals has been the 117 gr Sierra GK which I've used to make one shot kills not only on deer and antelope, but 3 bighorn rams, a Dall ram, a mountain caribou, and one of my best 6x6 bull elk.

Put that bullet tight behind an animal's shoulder and he's dead.
Posted By: Benbo Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
I bought a few bags of the 115&120 partitions from sps a few weeks ago….was really hoping they’d shoot but the gun seems to hate them. Like 3-4” 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

I tried the 100TTSX with two powders, H4350 and RL23 from .025-.085” off the lands and they shot from ok to bad….and yes I thoroughly cleaned the rifle before shooting the barnes bullets. I’ve been using Cci match primers…. I might try a different primer and a quicker powder…it’s perplexing, aggravating and getting expensive!
115 Berger.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
The last 3 deer I shot with .25-'06 were with partitions, 2 different rifles, one a 115 and two with 120s. That's where I'd start. I prefer 120s but if the gun likes 115s or even 100s better, that's fine.

I had very bad luck with the 110 grain accubonds blowing up .. in a .257 Roberts. 2 shots, 2 deer, in about 2 minutes, both recovered. Both shots were behind the shoulder, missed the shoulder blade and leg, just ribs, meat, and lung air, and both grenaded, hit the far side of the rib cage as tiny fragments creating massive meat loss on the off side. No exit of any sort. I talked to a friend who reloads commercially 'bout that and he said his customers were reporting the same thing. Maybe Nosler let a bad batch out the door, maybe they'd be ok now, but I don't think it is worth the risk when there are bullets that have proven themselves to me available.

I have not had good luck with accuracy with Barnes X bullets but still worth a try in a new gun.

Of cup and core bullets, I'd look at the Speer 120 grain flat base first, then probably Hornady 117 grain BTSB. My favorite .25 cal cup 'n' core was the 120 grain flat base HP hornady but those were discontinued a few years ago. Sierras generally shoot well but my experience, when they hit meat, is similar to what happened with those 110 grain ABs and I would not use them except as very last resort.

Tom
Posted By: CBB Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
100gr Spitzer
100gr tsx
Posted By: dubePA Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/21/21
Been killing whitetails with a 25-06 since the late 70s. M700 ADL and later built another rifle with a heavier SS Douglass barrel.

Started with 100 and 117 Sierras, used 87gr Sierras for varmints, in the M700. When the 100gr Btips hit the market, both rifles really liked them, so that's all I've loaded in the past 40 years. 54grs of IMR 4831. Lots of newer powders in the years since, never had any reasons to change?

I've personally killed well over a dozen deer with that load and my hunting buddy racked up about the same tally with his M700 BDL 25-06 and that load. Some of mine out to 450-500 yards with the HB rifle, several beyond 300 yards. Most were one shot kills, right through the boiler room. Only ever had to search for one deer shot with a 25-06 and that was my fault. Tad shy of 400 yards, got tired of waiting for the doe to get out of the brush. But I found her. Worst shot I've ever made on a deer, ain't figuring to repeat it?

Have heard all the stories about this bullet "blowing up" on deer. Has never been my experience and they are far more accurate than the Sierras ever were.
Like others here, I've used a variety of 90-120 grain bullets in the 25/06 for whitetails. The most consistently impressive killer I've used is the 120 NPT. I switched 20 or so years ago to the 115 NBT because of availability at the time and found it nearly the same. I've since used the 115 NBT for caribou and found it works just as well for 3-400 pound animals as it does for 150-200 pound deer.
115-120gr NP or if you like Monos, go 100gr TTSX. Put the hole where it counts & remember - shoot for your exit.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/22/21
For deer we have been very pleased with 100gr ballistic tips.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
100 TTSX

That bullet at 3,250 fps over H-100V out of my .257 Robert’s is pretty close to 25-06 performance. That load is a WT and hog killer; it’s also accurate.

DF
I use a .25-06 and a .257 Roberts more than anything else. As mentioned the best bullet ever WAS the Hornady 120gr HP.

Since it's not available, I have been using various others. I have Sierra 120gr HP GKs that shoot very well but don't have much on game experience yet, so far they've worked almost like the Hornady but not with the consistent exit.

The partitions work well if you can find a load that shoots. The TSX and TTSX in 100gr worked well, just less volumous wound channel.

I tried the ACP 100gr and wasn't impressed.
The 1 time I used the 120hp hornady was on a buck antelope at 250 yards the bullets just penciled thru without expanding. For some strange reason I didn't think they were worth a fug.
Mb
Posted By: Mull Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/22/21
IVE Been Shooting The 80 Gr TTSX Out Of My 25-06 Mountain Rifle..Full Load Of H100V Gives Me 3762FPS. AND it Kill's Like Be Struck By Lightning.
Posted By: trplem Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/22/21
The load I've used in mine most often is the 100 npt over imr4831. It works well, although meat damage is pretty bad.
100gr pro hunter with h4350. Now discontinued by Sierra but I stocked up.
Posted By: JPro Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/22/21
In a fast .25, I like a Partition or a mono. Whatever will shoot accurately enough. Exits are important around here.
I've had good luck over the yeas with the 120 Hornady HP, 120 Speer Hot Core, 100gr Hornady IL, 120 Speer Deep Curl. I won't tell you what I'm trying now, it will likely be discontinued, too! mad
Originally Posted by southtexas
I've had good luck over the yeas with the 120 Hornady HP, 120 Speer Hot Core, 100gr Hornady IL, 120 Speer Deep Curl. I won't tell you what I'm trying now, it will likely be discontinued, too! mad

Ain't that the dying truth! Mb
Posted By: dubePA Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/27/21
Un scientific experiences, but my gal was shooting 120 gr HP Game Kings in her tang safety M77, when we hooked up decades ago. It's what her ex had loaded and she insisted on staying with it. She killed a deer every year, mostly at 100 yards or less, but the best I could get that rifle to bench at 100yds, was around an inch and a half..

When she quit hunting and it became my third 25-06, loaded up 100gr Btips and the first trip to the range, got three shot groups a bit under 3/4". Gave it to her son several years ago. He uses my loads and has killed deer past 200yds with it.

Back when I started loading for the 25-06, the two worst loads in my M700, were 75 and 90 grain Sierras. The 90gr HPs never shot better than an inch and a half at 100 yards.

The 87gr Sierra spitzers shot the best of any bullets back then, which is why they were my woodchuck loads. Not unusual to get three shot groups in one ragged hole and that was with a Harris and a rear bag from the bench. Similar result with the new 100gr Btips, when I made the switch. Was nearly out of the 87s at the time, so the Btips became my dual purpose bullet. Never used any more 100gr Sierras for deer, after killing my first one with the Noslers..
I shot an untold amount of deer (mostly adult bucks but a few smaller does) for 10 years with 100 gr NBT. Loved it but did get an occasional deer that didn’t leave a blood trail. This was due more to the amount of fat they had that would plug the quarter size hole then bullet performance.

Switched to TSX 100 gr and I feel it was an immediate upgrade in both accuracy and performance in my old M700 BDL.

I am now shooting 4 different 25 caliber rifles. Two 25-06, 25-284 and a 25-06 AI. I am shooting different bullets in each. Still shooting 100gr TSX, also 100gr TTSX, 101gr ETIP, and 117gr Sierra. All have performed very well on deer sized game.

I think there are many bullets out there that will perform much better than most shooters.
Posted By: Lorne Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/28/21
Another vote for the discontinued Hornady 120 HP. I still have some, thankfully.

Have also had good luck with the older Hornady 117 and the SST.

My rifle, which I have owned for 45 years has always preferred the 117 or 120 grain of most manufacture. In all honesty I’ve shot a bunch of factory ammunition of that weight as well and it’s always worked , including one bull moose with the 120 grain Remington.

Have to think the Nosler partition would work pretty well .
Posted By: Shag Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/28/21
Fill truck loads the rest of your like with

115 Nosler Partitions. Whicked as [bleep] gets.
Back in the mid 90's i had a medium heavy barreled Ruger 77 in 25-06, pushed the 117gr Hornady BTSP to max speed with RL-22, the 3 or 4 deer i hit with that rifle before a buddy bought it melted at the shot, don't remember one of them moving after the hit.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/28/21
I’ve shot deer with the Hornady bullets in the 25-06. They worked, but the bullets didn’t hit shoulder, bones or heavy muscle - just through the ribs. The 25-06 is my favorite cartridge for antelope.
If I had one bullet for the 25-06, I’d choose partitions every time.
Posted By: keith Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/29/21
117g Sierra btsp is worth building a rifle around as it is an unbelievably accurate bullet, killing is not a problem on deer.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The 1 time I used the 120hp hornady was on a buck antelope at 250 yards the bullets just penciled thru without expanding. For some strange reason I didn't think they were worth a fug.
Mb

MB: just a thought:. I'm one of those who has used the 120 Hornady HP a lot with great success. But I did read somewhere that if the hollow point gets battered so that it's not fully open, the bullet can pencil through. So I always check the noses of the bullets as I load the rifle to ensure that this has not happened. Pure conjecture, but perhaps that is what happened in your incident.
First choice is far and away the 100 gr. TTSX
Second choice is the 110 gr. Accubond
Third choice is the 100 gr. scirrocco.

All of these are accurate and tough.
Nosler 110 Accubond
Posted By: MarkG Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 08/31/21
Most anything 100gr and up out of a 25-06 is going to be good medicine on deer. I like the 100gr TTSX, 110gr Accubond, 120gr partition. Those premiums are great but the old Hornady 117gr btsp will get it done just as well. JMO
Lots of good bullets out there and powders that work well in this caliber. For me personally the Speer 120gr Hot-Cor (discontinued) is no doubt my favorite bullet for the 25.06. Loaded in front of a full house of RL22 or RL25 it is very accurate and consistent in my rifle and it's performance on game has always been excellent for me. I've loaded others mentioned here as well with good success but i settled in on the Speer years ago as my go to bullet for the 25.06. I purchased enough to last me the rest of my life when i knew they were to be discontinued.
I've used a 100gr Hornady Interlock, 115gr Nosler BT, Partition and the 110gr Accubond.

The all worked well and eventhough It wasn't the most accurate of the ones I used but the 115gr Partition would be my go to if I had to pick just one.
I have a ruger 77 tang heavy barrel that shoots the 100gr Pro Hunter into the same hole and the deer I've taken with that gun have never taken another step. I also have good accuracy out of the 100gr Nosler BT in a sendero.
Posted By: keith Re: Favorite 25-06 deer bullets - 09/03/21
On quartering shots, the 110g Accubonds penetrate breaking bones all the way.
Originally Posted by keith
On quartering shots, the 110g Accubonds penetrate breaking bones all the way.

Same with 117 Sierra Gamekings
100 grain ballistic tip
115 gr Nosler Partitions are an effective little bullet. Never required a second shot on any of the deer I took with it.
I liked the Hornady 120HP, Nosler 115 PT and the Sierra 117 sbt. I knew some guys in Houston who hunted Uvalde area and used the Hornady 87 sp. I know guys here who use the 120 cl and 100TSX on mule deer & elk in their 25-06s. I never met anyone in the field who was using the 257 Wby.
Jim: I always found the 117gr GK to be very accurate but was concerned about it not holding together on quartering shots at 25/06 velocities. Sounds like it worked well for you? thanks
Another thumbs down on the Sierra 117gr BTSP. Switched to the Pro Hunter and Nosler Partition.
Jim: I always found the 117gr GK to be very accurate but was concerned about it not holding together on quartering shots at 25/06 velocities. Sounds like it worked well for you? thanks

I never had an issue with the 117 grain SBT Sierra on quartering shots. In front of shoulders towards ham and either got exits or dug the bullet out in front of ham on a couple of deer.

Actually felt it was a bit tough for what some call behind the shoulder shots, always had runners, not far and had heavy blood but they ran more than I prefer.

I like to break shoulders or go up just a fuzz and clip the spine.

100 grain Sierra SBT is lights out on Lung shots but rough if bone is encountered.
110 Accubomb, and that is coming from a Nosler "hater".

To answer the main question re: Sierra or Hornady: Hornady all the way for hunting especially.
When I used to exclusively load my own I had great success with the 117 grain Hornady Round nose in both the 25-06 and 257 Roberts. The load components changed from time to time but the bullet remained the same. It was accurate enough for my purposes and always did the job on whitetail deer.

My uncle used to purchase Weatherby ammo for his 257 Weatherby and I believe that bullet was used in those loads as well. It held together well even at those volocities.

Hey Pard, I actually felt it was a "pretty tough" bullet on mule deer. Lots tougher than I thought it would be. I saw the same thing with the old Sierra 150 Pro Hunter out of a 300WM on those little Hill Country deer, worked like partitions!
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

Hey Pard, I actually felt it was a "pretty tough" bullet on mule deer. Lots tougher than I thought it would be. I saw the same thing with the old Sierra 150 Pro Hunter out of a 300WM on those little Hill Country deer, worked like partitions!

How I felt for those lung/soft tissue shots. Had runners, not so if you hot bone though.

Not talking long shots either, most under 100 with a few over 300. Same at any distance.

You could tell they were hit for sure as they generally had a hump in their backs and were running up on the tips of their feet.

If lung shots the 100s worked pretty darn slick.
Originally Posted by WarAdmiral
When I used to exclusively load my own I had great success with the 117 grain Hornady Round nose in both the 25-06 and 257 Roberts. The load components changed from time to time but the bullet remained the same. It was accurate enough for my purposes and always did the job on whitetail deer.

My uncle used to purchase Weatherby ammo for his 257 Weatherby and I believe that bullet was used in those loads as well. It held together well even at those volocities.

This was Dober's favourite too !
100 grain Barnes, take your pick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
52 grains IMR 4831 and a 110 Accubond. Deadly!!!!!
Problems with 115gr NBT? Suprised. It's been a blood trail machine for me. Won't break great amounts of bone, but it will punch through a single shoulder blade or vertebra. That's enough for deer.

Matter of fact, one of the biggest and oldest bucks I've taken was with that bullet.
© 24hourcampfire