Home
Can now hunt in Shotgun 1 and 2 seasons with a 35 Whelen, 375 HH, 416 Rigby....

Rifles above .350 diameter exceeding 500 ft. lbs. of energy.

The DNR wasn't a big supporter, but laws are laws and regs are regs; I'm happy they saw the light.

I just hope everyone is safe and enjoys some of the fruits of having more firearm options this deer season.
I sense a sales increase on 35 Whelens. I always thought it would be a bummer to live somewhere with great deer hunting but be forced to suffer a shotgun to do so.
Been doing the 45/70 and 44 Mag levers the last few years and handguns for a bit longer. Shotguns have gotten better, but still nauseating to be forced to use.

I started with a beaded bird barrel and Brennekes; talk about a half assed, piss poor way to hit an animal decently with any confidence. Kentucky windage with Grand Canyon elevation...
On the other hand with the advent of super muzzleloaders using shotgun primers, smokeless powder, scopes, and high BC bullets. I wish my state would either go back to primitive style muzzleloaders, allow us to use a handgun even and preferably straight wall only, or do away with the whole “primitive” season and just let us shoot our two bucks with a rifle. I’m the only guy I know who still hunts with a sidelock using loose powder and lead bullets.
Sounds like a great opportunity for a 35 Remington
I toyed with the idea of offing my .358 and 35 Whelen earlier this year due to lack of use/need.
But now they have newfound purpose! laugh
My gripe with shotguns is having to use factory ammo (yeah, I know you CAN load your own). Even back in the 60s and 70s, slugs were often hard to find sometimes. A good smoothbore combo is fine at up to 100 yards, plenty for my use. I’ve noticed that there are a good many searching for the high-tech slugs lately.

Fortunately, I live where you can use almost anything you want to kill your deer. You can choose to hobble yourself if that winds your clock, or go full Hathcock. There is a four-day primitive season in January, sidelock MLs and stickbows only. Deer, bear, and now turkey are legal then. Tough hunting though, with bad weather and game that’s been under steady attack for three months.
I toyed with the idea of offing my .358 and 35 Whelen earlier this year due to lack of use/need.
But now they have newfound purpose! laugh
Yep smile
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My gripe with shotguns is having to use factory ammo (yeah, I know you CAN load your own). Even back in the 60s and 70s, slugs were often hard to find sometimes. A good smoothbore combo is fine at up to 100 yards, plenty for my use. I’ve noticed that there are a good many searching for the high-tech slugs lately.

Fortunately, I live where you can use almost anything you want to kill your deer. You can choose to hobble yourself if that winds your clock, or go full Hathcock. There is a four-day primitive season in January, sidelock MLs and stickbows only. Deer, bear, and now turkey are legal then. Tough hunting though, with bad weather and game that’s been under steady attack for three months.

I wish more states would put their "primitive" seasons first or at least in an earlier part of archery before general firearms season gets the game on edge.

The problem I had when dabbling in modern shotgun slugs and an Encore was I didn't have any mediocre loads, I had 1 load that shot under 1 1/2" and the rest were bigger than a dinner plate.

Makes for some awful expensive testing if you don't hit the nail on the head right away plus you are left with a heap of inaccurate ammo when you do find that magical load.

It seems with the old Foster type slugs they weren't as finicky. Granted a bead and 50 yards is hardly a test of accuracy but for what they were it didn't get as expensive.

I never understood the reason for shotgun slugs only years ago. Chunking a huge piece of lead at low velocity vs something at 2600+ fps doesn't add up to me. It seems that you would have more ricochet with a 400-500 grain chunk of lead at low velocity. JMHO.
Originally Posted by HawkI

The DNR wasn't a big supporter, but laws are laws and regs are regs; I'm happy they saw the light.

I just hope everyone is safe and enjoys some of the fruits of having more firearm options this deer season.

Rather than "above" wouldn't it be correct to say .350 minimum diameter?
So .35 cal with 500 ft p-lbs is the minimum n Iowa for deer. Your government agencies at work, exhibiting research, knowledge, and clear decisions without confusing the issue.

Bobby Joe is fired up because he’s going to press his 358 Shooting Times Alaskan into serve in that 20 acres of timber that narrows down into a thin tree lime along the river. His buddy will use his 416 REM he built for Africa.

Meanwhile John who has a 32 Special, a 30-30, a 308, a 7-08, and a 7x57 doesn’t have a legal firearm for deer in Iowa.

As Hannity is want to say, “you can’t make this stuff up.”
Snoothbore M500s w 4x scopes on drilled and tapped receivers, back in the 80s.

Buy WW 2 3/4" fosters, all from same lot #.

Was good to 150 yards accuracy wise.
Killed one w pass through double lung at that, shot another and grooved top of heart.....slug didnt penetrate offisde chest wall.

Too iffy.

Decided fosters was 100 yards no matter what.

Then came rifled bbls and sabots. Solid 150 or longer performance. Picky as to cleaning interval, foulers required....and expensive.

Plus the shoulder took a beating.

When PCR became legal in IN made the switch.
Better triggers and cooler guns, plus less recoil.
35 rem trimmed to PCR spec was wonderful, now w HP allowance on private ground just run em factory.

Funny. Killed deer w shotguns to 165 ( rifled ), handguns to 150 and MZ to 150.....yet my farthest rifle kill ( PCR or reg ) has been 75 yards.

[

[/quote] Rather than "above" wouldn't it be correct to say .350 minimum diameter?
[/quote]
Yes- here is what it says in DNR regs:
bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than
.350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch
and with a published or calculated muzzle energy
of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting
So any of the 50 cal Buffalo cartridges or 1885/1886 Winchester 50 cals must be too powerful with their illegal .510 bullets.
I made the transition. Still shot deer ar 50 yards or less. All with a 44 rem mag. Got a 444 and 7600 in 35 whelen. Its gonna be fun carrying a serious center fire. I doubt I'll shoot it past a 100 yards. Now if I go up to nw iowa another story
.375 250gn TTSX has a BC of .4-ish and you can get ~2800fps from an H&H. Granted there’s significantly more recoil, but, you can approximate a 30-06 shooting 165-180gn projectiles.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I wish more states would put their "primitive" seasons first or at least in an earlier part of archery before general firearms season gets the game on edge.

I wish there weren't any "special seasons" depending on what one chooses to hunt with, period. Its reminds me of vaccine cards, masks and who's businesses are or aren't important.

The Iowa slug only season was rooted in the government nanny system.
If you want to see stupid personified check Massachusetts. During bear season a rifle must be used, public, private no difference. Deer season shotgun or muzzleloader. Same areas doesn’t change anything but the animals. The seasons don’t overlap.
408 CheyTac, 416 Barret, and other 2+ mile cartridges are also legal by the definition of their regs. I’m barreling 3 358’s and 2 35 WSM’s (Sambar) for this fall. Talked to the gentleman that penned the new regulations and verified these meet the requirements (or limits, depending how you look at it).
The 358 Winchester is gonna get real popular there.
Originally Posted by TheKid
On the other hand with the advent of super muzzleloaders using shotgun primers, smokeless powder, scopes, and high BC bullets. I wish my state would either go back to primitive style muzzleloaders, allow us to use a handgun even and preferably straight wall only, or do away with the whole “primitive” season and just let us shoot our two bucks with a rifle. I’m the only guy I know who still hunts with a sidelock using loose powder and lead bullets.

"Muzzeloader season" is now just a euphemism for single shot rifle season. I hunted a lot with a muzzleloader during regular deer season back when there were no inline, shotgun primer, scoped, stainless "muzzleloaders" that now have a special season. If you are being granted a special season for a primitive weapon then the weapon should actually be a replica of a primitive weapon.

I feel the same way about crossbows in archery season. If you want to claim you crossbow is primitive then maybe it should only have sights and limb technology available when firearms superseded crossbows historically.
Years back, WI. had a shotgun only zone encompassing much of the southern part of the state. Then somebody looked at the statistics of accidents and found that they were actually higher in the shotgun only zones. WI. is now rifles allowed statewide.

Oh wow, that's really cool! I had no idea you could hunt with rifles that didn't use straight-wall cartridges any more.
We have a young lad in our Wisconsin deer camp who heard about the Iowa deer hunting change and wants to take his .350 Legend over there.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ok, so I went all celebratory over the weekend and bought my self a real HawkenHammer, an ‘80’s vintage 99A in 358 Winner.

I would still have liked to have been in the room listening to the DNR’s advice on cartridge regulations —“heck Al, I’m going to set up on that high spot in your been field with my Barret 50 BMG.” 😉
That one will do!!!
Shotguns have gotten better, but still nauseating to be forced to use.

Always thought the same thing in the southern zone here until they allowed certain rifles to be used. Good news for Iowa. Hopefully both can change their feel good firearm laws in these areas even further.
500 ft lbs at the muzzle? Doesn’t the 357 magnum do that? Sounds like everything 35 caliber is on the table.
George. U spent some doughy for s 99a in 358. I'm shooting my 7600 whelen gitty up
RUGER 77/357...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

... w/ 158-180 gr. XTP.

GR
What is the reason for all these goofy restrictions?
Originally Posted by Reloder28

IOWA = Idiots Out Wandering Around

I don't know about IA, but in the southern part of MI it was the feel good law in the higher populated south, it was safer to use limited range shotguns or muzzleloaders rather than centerfire rifles. It's now a limited firearms zone you can use a straight wall cartridge case no longer than 1.8", 35 caliber and above. It's all bullchit, esp since several years ago PA did a study that debunked the safer myth.

I don't know about IA, but in the southern part of MI it was the feel good law in the higher populated south. They said it was safer to use limited range shotguns or muzzleloaders rather than centerfire rifles. It's now a limited firearms zone you can use a straight wall cartridge case no longer than 1.8", 35 caliber and above. It's all bullchit, esp since several years ago PA did a study that debunked the safer myth.
So the cartridge law in Iowa has no limit for straight wall only calibers? Not limited to single shot?
See p 38 of Iowa regs...
RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type
deer during the youth and disabled hunting season
and first and second shotgun seasons.
The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality. Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above
are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen
.350 Legend
.358 Winchester
.375 Winchester
.40 S&W
.44 Magnum
.444 Marlin
.45 Long Colt
.45 Raptor
.450 Bushmaster
.450 Marlin
.45-70 Govt
.460 S&W
.500 S&

Damn, I just built a .375 WSM and it wasn't even for this. Be about perfect...
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
See p 38 of Iowa regs...
RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type
deer during the youth and disabled hunting season
and first and second shotgun seasons.
The following is a partial list of allowable cartridges that has generated the most questions on legality. Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above
are legal whether listed here or not.

.35 Whelen
.350 Legend
.358 Winchester
.375 Winchester
.40 S&W
.44 Magnum
.444 Marlin
.45 Long Colt
.45 Raptor
.450 Bushmaster
.450 Marlin
.45-70 Govt
.460 S&W
.500 S&

Yep, you can try hit that doe in the bean field from a mile away with your 416 Barrett, but your neighbor can’t legally hunt his river bottom with his 30/30. Brilliant!
Originally Posted by tcp
Originally Posted by TheKid

"Muzzeloader season" is now just a euphemism for single shot rifle season. I hunted a lot with a muzzleloader during regular deer season back when there were no inline, shotgun primer, scoped, stainless "muzzleloaders" that now have a special season. If you are being granted a special season for a primitive weapon then the weapon should actually be a replica of a primitive weapon.

I feel the same way about crossbows in archery season. If you want to claim you crossbow is primitive then maybe it should only have sights and limb technology available when firearms superseded crossbows historically.

Literally, as I can (and do) legally use a .357 Maximum barrel on my TC Encore for late muzzleloader season, as pistols are legal for this season as well. My gun is technically a pistol, but with an 18" barrel, it's more like a hand rifle.
Some day some of you people can use your 6.5 Needmoor.
That’s a good start. If the seasons end safely, it might loosen up even more. When the 35 Whelen in single shot rifles was legalized for our “primitive weapons” seasons, rifle and ammo sales of it took off.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Nailed it….

Seriously, never lived in a weapons restricted state, but have lived near many. Never understood it.

Mostly ignorance it would seem.
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Nailed it….

Seriously, never lived in a weapons restricted state, but have lived near many. Never understood it.

A lot of it makes zero sense these days, when modern muzzeloader and shotgun ballistics.

My shotgun shooting a 45 cal 250gr bullet at 1900fps is a-ok, but using my 45 Colt rifle to push a less aerodynamic 45 cal 250 bullet at 1200fps is too dangerous 🙄
Originally Posted by Garandimal
RUGER 77/357...

... w/ 158-180 gr. XTP.

GR

+1!
Originally Posted by Garandimal
RUGER 77/357...

... w/ 158-180 gr. XTP.

GR

My son and I use this same rifle often in Arkansas. We’ve been using 125 JSP and it has been plenty on several deer out to 125 yards. If I was in Iowa, where the deer are bigger, I would go up to 158 gr JSP. People just don’t realize how sweet 357 magnum is out of a rifle.
I think those states is why the .350 was invented. I had hoped and lobbied for Illinois to join them. Thought the .350 might be perfect in rifle for my wife and young son. Finally gave up and bought three new model stainless camo Savage 220s. Mounted Leupold 3x9 firedot scopes on them and been pleased. 8 year old son heart shot a doe at 80 yards and I shot a button buck at 140 last year. Longest shot I've made on deer was running doe at 160 with Redhawk .44. I think the Savage 220 and SW .460 should each be capable at 200+. That is probably enough around here in farm country; but was wanting softer recoiling option for them.
MI went to being able to use a straight wall case in the southern part of the state that was shotgun only BUT they limit the overall case length to 1.8 inches. Be glad Iowa didn't do that nonsense. I'm glad I live in the rifle area of the state and hunt with anything I want from my 243 to a 500 BPE double rifle.
© 24hourcampfire