Home
Story is at 23:35 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZPU_lFtva4
What is he talking about "shooting a Woodsman?"
Muzzleloader.
That whole family has shot Remington 760 Woodsman pump guns forever AFAIK. Hell Remington should have been paying them advertising royalties.
The Woodsman is the Remington 740 or 742 semi auto. A great gun and popular in Maine!!
Originally Posted by FWP
The Woodsman is the Remington 740 or 742 semi auto. A great gun and popular in Maine!!

That's not what they were talking about. He was in a podcast sponsored by Woodsman.
Thanks for sharing that.
I admire the hell out of the Benoit family.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by FWP

That's not what they were talking about. He was in a podcast sponsored by Woodsman.

Yeah, he's referring to a Woodsman muzzleloader, the "Patriot." Hammerless, 5.5lbs, cross-bolt safety, I'm surprised they're not more popular.

I may buy one and give it a whirl next year.

https://www.woodmanarms.com/patriot-muzzleloader.php
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by FWP

Yeah, he's referring to a Woodsman muzzleloader, the "Patriot." Hammerless, 5.5lbs, cross-bolt safety, I'm surprised they're not more popular.

I may buy one and give it a whirl next year.

https://www.woodmanarms.com/patriot-muzzleloader.php

Originally Posted by SKane
Thanks for sharing that.
I admire the hell out of the Benoit family.

I do too. Always thought it would be awesome to track northern bucks in the snow.

Recently I stumbled across the Bigwoods Bucks podcast with Hal Blood and crew. They often have some enjoyable hunting and big woods buck tracking stories.

https://www.bigwoodsbucks.com/Podcast

That was fun to watch. Lanny is a great story teller.
It was the original Sports Afield article around 1970 with Larry on the cover that got me hooked on the Benoit family. I bought a copy of Larry's 1975 book "How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life" and subsequent books about the Benoits. I gave his tracking advice a go in northern Wisconsin and got some deer killed, but not from me, other guys up ahead that I ran "my" deer into. You need the right kind of woods without other hunters and that wasn't where I hunted back in those days.
"How dead do you have to kill em? " So true.
I think the 742/740/7400 was the "Woodsmaster" and the 760 was the "Gamemaster"
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

Ain't none of them worth the cash, IMO. I'd rather buy a reliable rifle.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
That was fun to watch. Lanny is a great story teller.

He really is. I’d like to drink beer with him.
I enjoyed watching part 1 and 2 but I couldn't find part 3
Originally Posted by las

The Remington pump guns are very reliable, have been for over 100 years.

Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, used to convert 740/742 series rifles with damaged guide rails from semi-auto to pump action.
Originally Posted by moosemike

Thank you!

It’s up now
Originally Posted by las

Anyone who says the 760 is not reliable has never used one.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by las

agreed. The triggers tend to suck, but they were not meant for 300+ yd sniping either.
Originally Posted by las

exactly
Originally Posted by las

exactly

+1
Just another dumb statement on the Fire with nothing to back it up. 760's with just normal maintenance are slicker than snot cycling multiple rounds into the chamber and completely reliable.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by las

agreed. The triggers tend to suck, but they were not meant for 300+ yd sniping either.

The triggers can be worked over to give a decent pull weight and crispness. Not bolt action crisp but much improved over the factory issue.
Originally Posted by wink_man
Just another dumb statement on the Fire with nothing to back it up. 760's with just normal maintenance are slicker than snot cycling multiple rounds into the chamber and completely reliable.

I've owned several over the years all the way from 223 to 35Whelen. All worked well and were easy to load for. The only issue other than the trigger (that can be improved) is that you have to FLR the brass and case life can be short. Not a big deal overall.

I have found over the years there is a lot of negative bias against these rifles out west where the bolt action rules. Most of that is from folks who don't use them. They are just plain working rifles, not very tactical and only come in the old (boring for some) stand-by 270, 308, 30-06 chamberings these days, so are seeing a decline in interest overall.
Growing up here in Maine I always heard how popular the 760/7600 was. I saw very few and have owned one or more since the early 1990s.

I spent a week in eastern Oregon elk hunting and saw more 7600s in the hands of guys from Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and Arizona than in 30 years here (also saw a lot more hunters). Go figure.

To be fair, I see more of both now, especially since the internet sensations said you had to have them to track deer (not referring to the Benoits).

© 24hourcampfire