Home
Posted By: Oregonmuley Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
So filled my mule deer tag with this guy Sunday late morning. The unit I hunted in used to be one of the better units in Oregon for muleys but like most places the numbers are down. I had no intentions of trophy hunting going into it, just figured I'd have a nice camping trip and if I lucked into a buck I'd be tickled to take him.

So Sunday this guy showed up with a small bunch of does and another small spike by fork buck. This buck was peeking out from behind a big Ponderosa Pine with only his head/neck showing and maybe 6 inches of his chest. Shot was maybe 90 yards, hit him just in front of the front left leg and existed just behind the right off shoulder. I must of hit an artery because he was spewing blood 30 yards before he went down. Rifle is a 7MM-08 built by Shaen Rifles which is fast becoming my lucky rifle grin

So here is my non-typical fork - that funky stuff around the bases kinda looks caribou ish;)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: skeen Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
So filled my mule deer tag with this guy Sunday late morning. The unit I hunted in used to be one of the better units in Oregon for muleys but like most places the numbers are down. I had no intentions of trophy hunting going into it, just figured I'd have a nice camping trip and if I lucked into a buck I'd be tickled to take him.

So Sunday this guy showed up with a small bunch of does and another small spike by fork buck. This buck was peeking out from behind a big Ponderosa Pine with only his head/neck showing and maybe 6 inches of his chest. Shot was maybe 90 yards, hit him just in front of the front left leg and existed just behind the right off shoulder. I must of hit an artery because he was spewing blood 30 yards before he went down. Rifle is a 7MM-08 built by Shaen Rifles which is fast becoming my lucky rifle grin

So here is my non-typical fork - that funky stuff around the bases kinda looks caribou ish;)

Very cool!
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
That's a strange one... almost like they were the start of brow tines that split into atypical points.
Posted By: JPro Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
Odd genes for sure.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
What a neat looking mulie !

Congrats on the backstraps !
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
Yewneek rack. 😊
Posted By: SKane Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
That's some unique-looking headgear.

Good eatin'!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
Thanks all. I've hunted that area off and on when I can draw since the late 80's. There used to be a pretty good amount of non typical bucks in that little area. There was one big one we would only see during elk season when the rut was on, always saw him on the same ridge. That buck had a crazy rack, maybe some of those genes still exist in there??
Posted By: jmdriver Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/04/21
That would make a pretty neat euro mount. Congrats
Posted By: jwall Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Well done. esp. for the population.

Congrats

Jerry
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Cool buck!
Congrats 🦌🦌
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Everyone knows the 7mm-08 is only for women and kids.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Ideal meat buck that comes with a bonus gun rack already installed. Double whammy! 💪
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Congrats, Frank.

Nice looking buck for sure.
Posted By: tzone Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Cool rack
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Funky Fork buck - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Everyone knows the 7mm-08 is only for women and kids.

grin Yup I guess I still qualify as a kid when it comes to hunting, and I will say those 120 grain BT's outta that gun sure kill stuff!
© 24hourcampfire