Home
Posted By: Cascade Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Got it done again. 350 yards with handloaded 180 gr Berger "Elite Hunter" - Ha, that's me alright "elite" LOL! At any rate, it was a good hunt. I got this one, and my son took a smaller buck with his 6mm Remington at much shorter range. Young fellows are smart that way. Less recoil, shorter range, and close to a road. I need to follow his example more often.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And my son with his buck. It's fun watching the younger hunters out there getting it done. He's using the 6mm Remington 700 BDL that I got back in 1974. It still shoots great with those 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets:

Glad to have taken these two bucks, we were just about out of venison!

Regards, Guy
Posted By: smallfry Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Awesome Guy! Tell us about that Berger performance!
Posted By: jwall Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Oh come on Guy we know the ‘antiquated’
30-06 is too aenemic to kill at 350 yds.

Was that photo chopped (grin) or the
batteries bad in the LRF ? ?

hahaha

Fantastic and with a 700 at that.
Congrats.

Jerry
Posted By: skeen Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Congrats to you and your son!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Congrats all around. Old school rules.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Great hunt there Guy !! You're getting as old and grizzled as the bear you shot in AK with that same 30/06 !! smile Bob
Posted By: Cascade Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Great hunt there Guy !! You're getting as old and grizzled as the bear you shoot in AK with that same 30/06 !! smile Bob

Ha! Yes. smile

Really am quite fond of this 30-06 Remington 700. smile We seem well matched.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
great pictures of a father/son quality hunt. thanks for posting.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21

Congrats that's some good stuff right there , great hunt with the son .
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Cool beans...congrats 👍🏼

🦫
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
My Ruger M-77 Tang is still the best gun i have ever owned the old 30-06 has killed more aniamals than anyother gun in the safe. The old girl never let me down from deer to elk. Was digging it out for my backup leavingto colorado tomorrow was thinking i am going to get a dial scope on her next season and might take her out again.
Got all caught up in the longdistance thing. lol
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Wait now. Your bolt handle didn't break off? No accidental discharge when you took the safety off? No failure to feed?

Sheesh...

wink Good chootin guys
Posted By: mauserfan Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Those early "R" Rifles are some of the best ever made. They all shoot. Great caliber choices.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
congrats to both of you
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Congrats, love the 30-06, love 700’s also.
Posted By: TenX Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/25/21
Although I have a bunch of other calibers, I can't really figure out why I needed them except just for the fun of it. My sons and I have killed a pile of 'em with the lowly old cartridge.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by smallfry

Typical Berger. Accurate in my 30-06 Remington. And... First round hit, high shoulder. Clobbered the buck, he fell instantly. My buddy was watching through the spotting scope and saw the bullet trace & impact! I wish I'd seen that.

But... it only penetrated into the chest cavity, no exit noticed. For a 180 grain 30 cal bullet? Umm, okay. It sure clobbered the buck though. Didn't kill.... frown

I walked up on the buck, still breathing and thrashing around a little. This made me sad. It's not all that unusual with a "high shoulder shot" though. So I finished him. Sigh. That happens time to time, with other bullets and cartridges as well, but it's sure not my favorite ending to a hunt.

Only found a few jacket fragments from the bullet. Bullets. Maybe if I'd shot a few inches lower, and gotten more of the heart/lung area? Sigh... I dunno. Some kills are great, some aren't so great. I'll put this one in the latter category.

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Wait now. Your bolt handle didn't break off? No accidental discharge when you took the safety off? No failure to feed?

Sheesh...

wink Good chootin guys

LOL! Nope, none of those bad things happened. Yet again. smile I started shooting that 6mm back in 1974. It's great to see that my son has made such great use of it over the past 18 years or so.

I did question my Remington 700 30-06's trigger... So I replaced it with a Timney which I greatly prefer. That 30-06 has taken mule deer, black bear, elk, pronghorn antelope, wolf and grizzly... Heck of a rifle.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
Good stuff Guy, nothing better than filling the freezer as a family! And I wouldn't sweat needing the coup de gras, it happens when hunting, it's the burden we hunters carry.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
That 30-06 is well seasoned now! Let the venison sizzle 👍
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by smallfry

Typical Berger. Accurate in my 30-06 Remington. And... First round hit, high shoulder. Clobbered the buck, he fell instantly. My buddy was watching through the spotting scope and saw the bullet trace & impact! I wish I'd seen that.

But... it only penetrated into the chest cavity, no exit noticed. For a 180 grain 30 cal bullet? Umm, okay. It sure clobbered the buck though. Didn't kill.... frown

I walked up on the buck, still breathing and thrashing around a little. This made me sad. It's not all that unusual with a "high shoulder shot" though. So I finished him. Sigh. That happens time to time, with other bullets and cartridges as well, but it's sure not my favorite ending to a hunt.

Only found a few jacket fragments from the bullet. Bullets. Maybe if I'd shot a few inches lower, and gotten more of the heart/lung area? Sigh... I dunno. Some kills are great, some aren't so great. I'll put this one in the latter category.

Regards, Guy

I quit using Berger’s for that reason.
Posted By: pullit Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
Congrats to both of you
Originally Posted by gunnut308
That 30-06 is well seasoned now! Let the venison sizzle 👍

I like that. smile
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
Congratulations to you and your son.
Old guys and classic rifles rule!
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
I went through phases in this order, 270, 30-06,300 WM, 7x57, 308,257 Roberts and this year the 30-06 will get some play again.
Originally Posted by rickt300
I went through phases in this order, 270, 30-06,300 WM, 7x57, 308,257 Roberts and this year the 30-06 will get some play again.

Yup, I've hunted with a lot of different rifles & cartridges, but the 30-06 has been a favorite for a long time. Funny how one cartridge or another attracts us. Most of 'em work just fine. smile

Regards, Guy
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/26/21
Good stuff, Guy. What got you interested in switching to the Berger? Did Gavin put you up to it?
Posted By: Judman Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/27/21
Very nice guy.👍
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/27/21
Congratulations to both of you, father/son hunts are the best
Posted By: shootem Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/27/21
Now that’s the kind of “trophy bucks” I like to see. Good job, great fun guys.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/27/21
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Good stuff, Guy. What got you interested in switching to the Berger? Did Gavin put you up to it?

Ha! Yes. I'd used the 115 gr Berger VLD's from my 25-06 to take three mule deer in 2008 & 2009. Good results on all those deer. So when he asked if I was interested in using the 180 gr Bergers from my 30-06 for this year's hunt, I agreed. They shot well, the first load that I tried shot .84" at 100 yards and 2730 fps. I stopped right there knowing it was "good enough" for my mule deer hunt.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/27/21
I own 1 30-06 and 3 270s guess which one out of 4 is favored
Posted By: Scotty Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
Nice buck, congratulations to both of you.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
Nice job Pap's and Son, you guys have a lot of good eating to do ; ]
Both are fine bucks! In fact both are fine cartridges as well! Pretty hard to argue with the 30-06. In fact I have a heavily used early t3 from when they were first imported that is due for a new barrel and I am more likely than not going to stick a longer 30-06 barrel on it, as I figure I am not likely to shoot it out, which would not be the case with the smaller bores.

The case for just choosing a 30-06 as a "one and done" cartridge is pretty strong, especially these days with the projectile choice (when available).

Great job on that hunt!
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
I have a new to me 06, built on a 33/40 action. I sighted it in last Friday. It shot really well with 59 grains of IMR 4350 and a 150 Nosler partition. It shot even better with 150 Berger’s, but I’m not a Berger fan. I got a heck of a deal on this rifle from Mule Deer.
I never thought I’d own one, got lucky. This is my retirement present to me.

I will have it in stand when season opens November 6.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
Good hunt Guy.

I was surprised at the Berger choice myself when I read that.

Awesome the boy and you hammered some meat though. That's great stuff!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
Never shot any Berger' s but i've read plenty about their performance shortcomings. That s all I need to know especially when coming from guys like you. Congrats on the hunt and bucks cascade well done
Mb
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a new to me 06, built on a 33/40 action. I sighted it in last Friday. It shot really well with 59 grains of IMR 4350 and a 150 Nosler partition. It shot even better with 150 Berger’s, but I’m not a Berger fan. I got a heck of a deal on this rifle from Mule Deer.
I never thought I’d own one, got lucky. This is my retirement present to me.

I will have it in stand when season opens November 6.

Nice.

Congrats.

DF
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
Congratulations and well done. You used one of my most favorite rifles in my most favorite chambering.
Posted By: las Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/28/21
One can get "fancy", or just use what works. My son and I took bull caribou this year using the same Wallyworld special Rem 770 (yeah, I know!) in 30-06, both over 300 yards, using 150 gr Corelokt factory ammo. And a Tasco scope..... smile. The rifle a virgin no more...

My wife took her bull using a short barreled, tang RU77, also in '06, at 200 yards, Hornady reduced recoil ammo.

Posted By: Cascade Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
Congratulations and well done. You used one of my most favorite rifles in my most favorite chambering.

Thank you. smile

I've got decades with the Remington 700, and longer with the 30-06 cartridge. I like both of them. smile

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/29/21
Guy you and the son letting dust gather on the old 1917? Mb
Posted By: Cascade Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Guy you and the son letting dust gather on the old 1917? Mb

It's ready to go, but really the only "big game" hunting we're doing this year was for mule deer. He wanted to use the 6mm, and I'm glad he did. Makes me smile when he uses it.

If we'd gotten out for bear, the 1917 would have been dusted off.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
Understand completely too many guns to choose from and not enough tags. Mb
Posted By: Judman Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
Grats guy. 👍 the older I get the more I revert back to conventional wares. Just bought a blued/wood 77 270. It’s kinda how I wanna do things…
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
I only had and used a Ruger tanger in 3006 for two decades until I read on the Fire it was no good and I needed at least ten more rifles in different chamberings.
Now Im all set. LOL.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
Damn jud you sound like your starting to understand the KISS principle. Mb
Posted By: beretzs Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Grats guy. 👍 the older I get the more I revert back to conventional wares. Just bought a blued/wood 77 270. It’s kinda how I wanna do things…

That’s an old meat gun. Nothing fancy but darn if they don’t work.
Posted By: jwall Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Judman

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Damn jud you sound like your starting to understand the KISS principle. Mb

Some just start the second childhood early. whistle laugh laugh

Hey Jud, the door was open and I couldn't resist. wink

I had a few of those and none gave me any problems.

Jerry
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/02/21
Another Old Guy with a 30-06. Last week found me on the same ranch with the same gun that I killed my first Blacktail 26 years ago.

I used my trusted Ruger stainless Mk II although it now wears a coyote bomber Mickey instead of the boat paddle.

The sucker had me pegged and lit out with the afterburners on and I led him a bit much. He got even by getting in a really sucky spot before I finished him. The three trips packing him out damned near finished me but he's my best Blacktail to date.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/03/21
Well done, congratulations
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/12/21
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Another Old Guy with a 30-06. Last week found me on the same ranch with the same gun that I killed my first Blacktail 26 years ago.

I used my trusted Ruger stainless Mk II although it now wears a coyote bomber Mickey instead of the boat paddle.

The sucker had me pegged and lit out with the afterburners on and I led him a bit much. He got even by getting in a really sucky spot before I finished him. The three trips packing him out damned near finished me but he's my best Blacktail to date.

That's a real nice buck. I love my Ruger stainless MkII 30-06 and it still wears the skeleton stock. It's a tough rifle that shoots well.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/12/21

That’s one hell of a Blacktail. Congratulations
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 11/13/21
Nice going Guy, congratulations!
I hope they are great table fare.

The 30-06 is a great round. You're doing a great job with yours.

Take care
Posted By: beretzs Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/01/21
Nice buck! Congrats on him. Heckuva blacktail!
Posted By: battue Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/01/21
Congrats to all three..Nice work..
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice buck! Congrats on him. Heckuva blacktail!

Originally Posted by battue
Congrats to all three..Nice work..

Thanks gentlemen. That hunt was 21 years after my first ever buck and on the same ranch.

There are monsters that migrate to that area. It's the winter range for the East Tehama herd. Much of their summer range burnt up in the nearly 1 million acre Dixie Fire so they were ready to get to unburnt ground.

He's a good representative buck for the ranch. His tail was all black but I'm sure there's a muley in the woodpile.

I finally got over my vicious poison oak outbreak from the three trips packing him out and he's delicious.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/02/21
Congratulations, very nice buck
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/03/21
It’s hard to beat an old guy with a 30-06. I have 4, three scoped and a Garand.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/03/21
Just watched the YouTube video on gavintube giving more background on this hunt, really enjoyed it. Congratulations on th the hunt and the video.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/03/21
This old guy age 72 used a .30-06 to take my most recent two whitetails. 56.0gr. IMR 4350 behind a 165gr. Sierra Game King did the job very nicely.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/03/21
DOESN'T ANYBODY KNOW THAT A 30-06 CANNOT EFFECTIVLY KILL A DEER PAST 100 YARDS IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF ADVANCED GENETIC MUTATION.............It is the first centerfire rifle I ever purchased and I still have it and use it to this day.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/04/21
Yeah ever since buying my first 30-06 in my early 20’s I feel weird if I don’t have one in the safe. Currently without one but have my eye on Sako A7 and a Marlin XL7 both NOS. Hard not to love the old war horse!
I haven't owned a 30/06 in 10 years and it bothers me. I need to rectify that in 2022
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/05/21
Is 58 old? Actually, please don’t answer that….:). I’ve had a number of these. When I picked up a chronograph 30 years ago and saw how underloaded the 30-06 was, I started hand loading. I soon got bit by magnumitis bug and traded “up” to a 300win, I then traded that when I found a matching pair of weatherbys in 300 and 340. I was living in the Rockies in those days hunting in multiple western states every year and I thought those rifles were perfect for the 300+ yard shots I was averaging on deer, elk antelope and moose. I then rationalized the “need” for an even flatter shooting 7mmSTW. Fast forward to 2008 and I moved to NY. I was still hunting in the west every year, but the longest shot I could take on our upstate farm was 363 yds. About the same time, I started noticing the recoil out of my western rifles actually was becoming an issue. While I could still shoot these things to their sub 1” potential, it was no longer fun. So what did I do? I returned to my 06 roots. Deer are just as dead, and I discovered how nice it was to always see the bullet impact. My shots do require paying more attention to precise range and the ever present mountain wind (shots are routinely 310-340 yds). Like all rifle loonies, I’m constantly thinking about my next project. After remembering I have an unused perfectly capable set and forget scope, I’ve nearly rationalized another acquisition, again in 06. It seems I have a “need” to have an 06 that is dedicated to see what 200g partitions will do. I guess you can say the 06 bug has bit pretty hard….again.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Is 58 old? Actually, please don’t answer that….:). I’ve had a number of these. When I picked up a chronograph 30 years ago and saw how underloaded the 30-06 was, I started hand loading. I soon got bit by magnumitis bug and traded “up” to a 300win, I then traded that when I found a matching pair of weatherbys in 300 and 340. I was living in the Rockies in those days hunting in multiple western states every year and I thought those rifles were perfect for the 300+ yard shots I was averaging on deer, elk antelope and moose. I then rationalized the “need” for an even flatter shooting 7mmSTW. Fast forward to 2008 and I moved to NY. I was still hunting in the west every year, but the longest shot I could take on our upstate farm was 363 yds. About the same time, I started noticing the recoil out of my western rifles actually was becoming an issue. While I could still shoot these things to their sub 1” potential, it was no longer fun. So what did I do? I returned to my 06 roots. Deer are just as dead, and I discovered how nice it was to always see the bullet impact. My shots do require paying more attention to precise range and the ever present mountain wind (shots are routinely 310-340 yds). Like all rifle loonies, I’m constantly thinking about my next project. After remembering I have an unused perfectly capable set and forget scope, I’ve nearly rationalized another acquisition, again in 06. It seems I have a “need” to have an 06 that is dedicated to see what 200g partitions will do. I guess you can say the 06 bug has bit pretty hard….again.

That sounds like a helluva good goal.

I grew up with only 30-06's around. I just didn't ever want one. Found a P64 FWT in 30-06 and put it into a McM Hunters EDGE.. Man, I took an elk with it last fall with the 212 ELD and wow, I was awakened the old horse worked really darned well, and doesn't detach retinas or give headaches.
Posted By: Johnly1923 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/09/21
Originally Posted by elkaddict

I picked up a tang safety Ruger 77 Round Top with sights at a pawn shop years ago, as I just liked the lines. I never had a Ruger 77 that was an outstanding shooter and I had thoughts of driving the rifle to see Jess to make it a 338-06
The first trip to the range with the rifle and chronograph changed all that, as I found the magic load for the box stock rifle. Three shots out of a cold clean barrel will go into about 3/4" using 180 gr. Nosler BT pushed by 58.0 H4350 and lit with a CCI 250 primer. The velocity out of the 22" barrel was right at 2800 fps. Sure I can beat that velocity by 250 fps with my 300 WM, but the Ruger is lighter and has less recoil. The 30-06 deserves the accolades it receives as a hunter's cartridge.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/09/21
Nice Cascade, congrats to you and your son! I'm an old guy too and just bought another 30-06, gotta love it! Keep on keepin on and take care...
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/10/21
My 30-06’s. G33/40, all correct H&R Garand, 200 anniversary Remington, and a Sako

Posted By: smitty_bs Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/10/21
Nice looking collection there!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/10/21
My 30-06’s. G33/40, all correct H&R Garand, 200 anniversary Remington, and a Sako

You good to go.

Which one shoots the tightest groups, which one is your fav.

DF
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/10/21
My dad was a 1 gun, 1 bullet guy for everything. Rifle is a FN Musketeer in 30-06, bullets were always a 165gr Nosler Partician. His scope was a Redfield 3-9 with the post reticle. I forget the bases now, but it had windage and elevation adjustments in it, Bhuler maybe? Anyway, everything he hunted fell to it. Moose, elk, deer and a couple unfortunate coyotes.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/10/21
Ive had 760 and 742s in '06.
700s from .243 to 300 winmag.
Liked my 7mm mag quite a bit.

But decided to compromise and get a general usage bolt rig.....in .30-06.

Steyr Prohunter, w VX3i 3.5-10x.
Ugly. Boring. Comfortable. Heavy. And it shoots good.
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/10/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

You good to go.

Which one shoots the tightest groups, which one is your fav.

DF

The 700 and G33/40 are about the same, little less than an inch, need to get Sako repaired, slam fires, but only paid 400.00 for it. I haven’t fired the Sako. My son in law can shoot 3” groups with the Garand at a hundred. My right eye sucks, but gonna get it fixed in January.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/12/21
The .30-06 is a great cartridge. Maybe that's why I have 5.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/12/21
I picked up a commercial 98, in 30-06 in 1974. It's my hunting rifle. I use other at times, having gone to magnum and tiny cartridge schools. The old rifle goes on all hunting trips. Regardless of what else goes!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/13/21
Originally Posted by hotsoup
great pictures of a father/son quality hunt. thanks for posting.

Ditto!

Those are great pics. Love the classic hunting rifles. The 6mm Remington though not real rare is still a neat caliber you just don't see every day.
Posted By: Cjk3006 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/28/21
My go to gun pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight in a Mc Millan stock , rigged in 1987
Posted By: Brad Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/28/21
Congrats!
Posted By: chuckster243 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 12/28/21
Sold my 700 BDL-06 in 89 after an antelope hunt for a sako. Should've bought the sako and kept the -06, still look for it used in every gun shop I walk into. Some mistakes you can't undo.
Posted By: Coopsdaddy Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 02/16/22
Tried many try different calibers but sold them all except my 06!
Forget the caliber, I am astounded the blued steel and walnut haven’t rusted and splintered into an archeological artifact, along with Cascade.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 02/18/22
Congrats to you and your boy. Nice memories there
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 02/18/22
Originally Posted by roverboy

Agreed - I've got 6 (or is that 7?)
Now I've got to go count, darn it! smile
Posted By: Cjk3006 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 02/23/22
30-06 ! Winchester pre 64 Featherweight, Ruger #1, Weatherby Weatherguard, when it gets nasty, I'm good to go.
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 02/25/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by roverboy

Agreed - I've got 6 (or is that 7?)
Now I've got to go count, darn it! smile

I’m behind, only have four or is it 5?? I best go look!
I had a Dog Trainer from Thomasville Georgia tell me if you’re lucky in Life you will have ONE good women or ONE good dog in your life…. Most people think they have had one or the other, some both. They are wrong. I know that I have had one good rifle and it was Remington 700 chambered in 30-06.
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/20/22
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I had a Dog Trainer from Thomasville Georgia tell me if you’re lucky in Life you will have ONE good women or ONE good dog in your life…. Most people think they have had one or the other, some both. They are wrong. I know that I have had one good rifle and it was Remington 700 chambered in 30-06.

I would have to agree with that, guess I’m lucky!
well done, congrats to you both
Posted By: hanco Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/25/22
what bullet do you all shoot in you 30-06’s

I use 59 gr IMR 4350 and a 150 partition, for 45 yrs.
Posted By: Joe Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/26/22
All the game I've taken with my M.70 .30'06, elk, deer, and coyotes has been with 180 grain Nosler Solid Base fueled with Reloader 21 powder. A couple of deer and coyotes I took with my Mannlicher-Schoenauer used 180 RN Winchester Power Points and MR-3100 powder because as a close friend said, "That just looks right in Herr Schoenauer's magazine". grin
Anxious to try my 30-06 with some 200gr Partitions and 220gr roundnose. It's fairly thick where I'm going and live and I recall JB Muledeer mentioning using 200gr Partitions in the timbered terrain years ago so I will give it a try and I got those bullets at good prices so why not. I need mostly good expansion and penetration with mostly shorter shots 200yds and less.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/27/22
what bullet do you all shoot in you 30-06’s

I use 59 gr IMR 4350 and a 150 partition, for 45 yrs.

I'm still using some 180gr Sierra Sptz I got 51 years ago, and I recently ran out of WWII surplus 4831, so I use the new stuff, 59gr stuffed into the brass. My Pre-64 Mdl 70 is a 3-digit serial number (36x) I bought from a kid who inherited it and wanted a "7 MAG" back in 1962.

I once had 12 guns in 30-06; some were combo guns and a double rifle Valmet. I'm down to the Mdl 70 and a very light custom 98 FN Supreme in a Pound'r stock.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/27/22
When I carry one of mine, 62.5 grains of H4831SC, 220 grain Round Nose...

it never has failed to drop them when hit with that load... on the spot....
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/27/22
Originally Posted by Seafire

That's a pretty healthy load.
Posted By: viking Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/27/22
Originally Posted by Seafire

I am looking at the hornandy book now, it shows 54.5 for imr 4831. Is there that much difference between imr 4831 and H4831sc?
Posted By: southtexas Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 03/28/22
Nosler data says 55gr max for H4821......
Posted By: Jim585 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/03/22
Started with a sporterized Enfield, then on to a Remington ADL, before leaving the 30-06 & wandering thru a .243, then a .35 Remington.
Finally returned to the 30-06 with both a Remington 760 & finally a Ruger #1.
Nice to be back.
Posted By: Phil11 Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by rickt300

Same here except I went back to the .270,.308, 30-06, .300 WM the wilcats are long gone.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Old Guy with a 30-06 - 10/04/22

That is a dandy buck! Congratulations!

One of the biggest bucks I've ever seen was near Paynes Creek doing the head bob trot from his massive rack. It was the day before season started.
© 24hourcampfire